PDA

View Full Version : Might I just point out that war clouds are gathering in various parts of the world...

Burney
04-13-2017, 02:10 PM
...and that redgunamo is nowhere to be seen on AWIMB :rubchin: :sherlock:

Pat Vegas
04-13-2017, 02:22 PM

:sherlock:
Plus if he was investigated his login name on here wouldn't help his cause.

Sir C
04-13-2017, 02:27 PM

One suspects he is advising some ghastly dictator or other, for they most assuredly pay best.

His brood's Amex bills don't pay themselves, you know.

Pat Vegas
04-13-2017, 02:28 PM
One suspects he is advising some ghastly dictator or other, for they most assuredly pay best.

THREADJACK.
My favourite card I have is my Amex. Why is this? I can't explain it.

Burney
04-13-2017, 02:31 PM
THREADJACK.

I can. They give me Avios points.

Plus, there's something Johnny-come-Lately about all these other cards if you ask me. Amex has a bit of historical heft to it.

Burney
04-13-2017, 02:32 PM

Thing is, I use red's presence or absence from here as a reliable barometer of whether something's going to kick off or not.

Pat Vegas
04-13-2017, 02:36 PM
I can. They give me Avios points.

Plus, there's something Johnny-come-Lately about all these other cards if you ask me. Amex has a bit of historical heft to it.

Though sometimes I feel like a dick asking if they take Amex.
But on the other hand if they don't take it and I've put my card in the machine and they say 'we don't take amex' I sort of give disappointed 'oh'

I went for the cashback won. Came in very handy as I paid everything for the wedding on it. and I like that I know the card will always work. I find it strange though that any letters they send me come all the way from Florida

Sir C
04-13-2017, 02:39 PM
THREADJACK.

Mine too. I like the way it says 'Member since' on the front and that mine says '91'. 26 years, mother of God. I like it that there isn't anything as petty as a credit limit, and that when you call them you immediately get to speak to a real human being. In the past couple of years I've even used the concierge service a few times, when I couldn't find a hotel room at late notice, and they have never failed me.

Proper service. wd Amex.

Burney
04-13-2017, 02:39 PM
Though sometimes I feel like a dick asking if they take Amex.
I went for the cashback won. Came in very handy as I paid everything for the wedding on it.

But on the other hand if they don't take it and I've put my card in the machine and they say 'we don't take amex' I sort of give disappointed 'oh'

The thing that fücks me off is in restaurants, where they use one of those wallet things to hold the bill that they clearly got free from Amex and which clearly displays the Amex logo. So you put your Amex card in there, hand it to the waiter and they say 'Sorry, we don't take American Express' :furious:

Sir C
04-13-2017, 02:40 PM
Thing is, I use red's presence or absence from here as a reliable barometer of whether something's going to kick off or not.

On the other hand he might simply be fomenting unrest in some small but profitable civil war we'll never get to hear about.

Much as one admires his discretion, one does rather resent the lack of juicy tales.

Burney
04-13-2017, 02:41 PM
Mine too. I like the way it says 'Member since' on the front and that mine says '91'. 26 years, mother of God. I like it that there isn't anything as petty as a credit limit, and that when you call them you immediately get to speak to a real human being. In the past couple of years I've even used the concierge service a few times, when I couldn't find a hotel room at late notice, and they have never failed me.

Proper service. wd Amex.

:nod: '99' for me.

I don't really trust MasterCard. I hate them for sponsoring World Cups and the Champions League.

Whatever happened to Access?

Pat Vegas
04-13-2017, 02:41 PM
The thing that fücks me off is in restaurants, where they use one of those wallet things to hold the bill that they clearly got free from Amex and which clearly displays the Amex logo. So you put your Amex card in there, hand it to the waiter and they say 'Sorry, we don't take American Express' :furious:

:hehe: then I have to slap out my 2nd favourite card which is my Barclaycard.
Not so glamorous but they seem to like me and give me ace deals.

least glamorous is my Asda Mastercard. :hehe:

though in this day and age the shop keeper/restaurant don't really get to see your card :-(

Burney
04-13-2017, 02:42 PM
On the other hand he might simply be fomenting unrest in some small but profitable civil war we'll never get to hear about.

Much as one admires his discretion, one does rather resent the lack of juicy tales.

I imagine that, in his line of work, discretion isn't so much a virtue as a survival instinct.

Burney
04-13-2017, 02:44 PM
:hehe: then I have to slap out my 2nd favourite card which is my Barclaycard.
Not so glamorous but they seem to like me and give me ace deals.

least glamorous is my Asda Mastercard. :hehe:

though in this day and age the shop keeper/restaurant don't really get to see your card :-(

I find Barclaycard/Visa can be troublesome abroad. My company credit card used to be Visa, but we had to swap it to MasterCard because too many people in foreign parts didn't take it.

Sir C
04-13-2017, 02:45 PM
:nod: '99' for me.

I don't really trust MasterCard. I hate them for sponsoring World Cups and the Champions League.

Whatever happened to Access?

Access changed their name to Mastercard, I believe. Or were bought by Mastercard. 'Your flexible friend'.

My mother had a black Amex. The fabled 'invitation only' Centurian card. Replacement cards were delivered by motorcyle courier in a presentation box.

I'm still awaiting my fúcking invitation. :shout:

Pat Vegas
04-13-2017, 02:46 PM
I find Barclaycard/Visa can be troublesome abroad. My company credit card used to be Visa, but we had to swap it to MasterCard because too many people in foreign parts didn't take it.

Actually that's true I had a problem trying to hire a car in Italy once with a Barclaycard visa once. Was annoying.
They refused to take debit cards too so I had to go back to the airport and try with Hertz.

Sir C
04-13-2017, 02:47 PM

I wonder if Diners Club still exists. I used to have one just for flying because, bizarrely, in the 80s and 90s most airfields only accepted Diners cards for fuel payments.

Pat Vegas
04-13-2017, 02:47 PM
Access changed their name to Mastercard, I believe. Or were bought by Mastercard. 'Your flexible friend'.

My mother had a black Amex. The fabled 'invitation only' Centurian card. Replacement cards were delivered by motorcyle courier in a presentation box.

Without making any assumptions on your lifestyle Sir C. don't you have to use over 250k on it in a year before they consider you for won.

Peter
04-13-2017, 02:48 PM

Same here. I would be properly ****ed without the corporate card. It happened once. Terribly embarrassing, although I did get to see how a world class hotel chain turn proper ****ing nasty the second they think you haven't got any money :)

Pat Vegas
04-13-2017, 02:49 PM
Same here. I would be properly ****ed without the corporate card. It happened once. Terribly embarrassing, although I did get to see how a world class hotel chain turn proper ****ing nasty the second they think you haven't got any money :)

I hate when these hotel tossers decide to put a massive authorisation on your card. :furious:

Though in reality it doesn't make a difference. though I have had them put an auth on my debit card and wasn't pleased.

Sir C
04-13-2017, 02:49 PM
Without making any assumptions on your lifestyle Sir C. don't you have to use over 250k on it in a year before they consider you for won.

Really? My Ma certainly didn't do that.

I could always pay for the glw's shoes with it. That should sort it nicely.

Pat Vegas
04-13-2017, 02:50 PM
Really? My Ma certainly didn't do that.

I could always pay for the glw's shoes with it. That should sort it nicely.

Though I read this online somewhere so it's perhaps not accurate. amex never actually reveal the criteria and used to deny it's existence.

Burney
04-13-2017, 02:52 PM

They probably deliver them by drone these days.

Rich
04-13-2017, 02:57 PM
I imagine that, in his line of work, discretion isn't so much a virtue as a survival instinct.

Hang on - what does he do? Is he a sqaddie?

Peter
04-13-2017, 02:58 PM
I hate when these hotel tossers decide to put a massive authorisation on your card. :furious:

Though in reality it doesn't make a difference. though I have had them put an auth on my debit card and wasn't pleased.

Doesn't bother me, its not my money. And they usually don't bother anyway- company card, company account.

Sir C
04-13-2017, 02:58 PM
Hang on - what does he do? Is he a sqaddie?

Yes, he's a private in a line regiment, usually he's posting from the bottom of a trench.

Burney
04-13-2017, 02:59 PM
Yes, he's a private in a line regiment, usually he's posting from the bottom of a trench.

...in the Alsace. :hehe:

Rich
04-13-2017, 03:00 PM

Hmm - I'm calling shenanigans on you.

Sir C
04-13-2017, 03:03 PM

No, really, b and I met him for a drink once, in a little estaminet in Ypres, we had vang blong and omelettes and frits, he'd just come out of the line and was all muddy. His real name is Tommy Atkins.

Burney
04-13-2017, 03:03 PM

You realise that 'squaddie' denotes someone in the lowest ranks of the British Army, yes? It doesn't just mean 'soldier'.

Burney
04-13-2017, 03:04 PM
No, really, b and I met him for a drink once, in a little estaminet in Ypres, we had vang blong and omelettes and frits, he'd just come out of the line and was all muddy. His real name is Tommy Atkins.

Don't start dragging me into your past lives!

Sir C
04-13-2017, 03:05 PM
Don't start dragging me into your past lives!

Remember when we caught the crabs from that old crone in Armentieres?

Your mum, obvs.

Pat Vegas
04-13-2017, 03:08 PM
You realise that 'squaddie' denotes someone in the lowest ranks of the British Army, yes? It doesn't just mean 'soldier'.

That reminds me of the good old internet chat room days.
You'd always get one idiot called something like Squaddie #324 who'd be the defender of the all the girls.
a bit like a precursor to today's social justice warrior types.

Burney
04-13-2017, 03:10 PM
Remember when we caught the crabs from that old crone in Armentieres?

Your mum, obvs.

No, but I do remember us storming Jerusalem in 1099, shouting 'Deus vult!'.

Cor, but we slaughtered a lot of Allans and Jews that day. Good timez.

Sir C
04-13-2017, 03:12 PM
No, but I do remember us storming Jerusalem in 1099, shouting 'Deus vult!'.

Cor, but we slaughtered a lot of Allans and Jews that day. Good timez.

:nod: That was when we bought those matching tunics.

Burney
04-13-2017, 03:12 PM
That reminds me of the good old internet chat room days.
You'd always get one idiot called something like Squaddie #324 who'd be the defender of the all the girls.
a bit like a precursor to today's social justice warrior types.

I believe they're now known as 'White Knights', f. It is widely suspected that they are 'beta cucks' who use their virtue signalling as a means of getting into the knick-knocks of feminists. :nod:

I really must spend less time on Twitter. :-\

Pat Vegas
04-13-2017, 03:14 PM
I believe they're now known as 'White Knights', f. It is widely suspected that they are 'beta cucks' who use their virtue signalling as a means of getting into the knick-knocks of feminists. :nod:

That's the one! The ones who say they are feminists and stuff.

I just go on instagram thesedays.

Sir C
04-13-2017, 03:14 PM

Surely feminists are a bit hirsute in the knicker areas?

No no, I don't think I'd be terribly keen on that at all.

Burney
04-13-2017, 03:15 PM
:nod: That was when we bought those matching tunics.

I always wondered what those stains were. Who knew Saracen blood would be such a bùgger to shift?

Burney
04-13-2017, 03:17 PM
Surely feminists are a bit hirsute in the knicker areas?

No no, I don't think I'd be terribly keen on that at all.

I don't know. Maybe one should ask Laurie Penny about the state of her lady garden to get some idea?

Or would that be a micro aggression?

Burney
04-13-2017, 03:18 PM
That's the one! The ones who say they are feminists and stuff.

I just go on instagram thesedays.

:cloud9: You've no idea how much it pleases me to have been able to enlighten a young person about modern terminology, f.

Rich
04-13-2017, 03:19 PM

Yes, I understand that.

Pat Vegas
04-13-2017, 03:20 PM
:cloud9: You've no idea how much it pleases me to have been able to enlighten a young person about modern terminology, f.

I'll be 35 soon.
The advantages of being in my 30s seems that when I walk into a guitar shop they bendover backwards to assist me as they think I have money. Unlike completely ignoring me when I was 17. actually perhaps that's not a good thing.

Sir C
04-13-2017, 03:21 PM
I don't know. Maybe one should ask Laurie Penny about the state of her lady garden to get some idea?

Or would that be a micro aggression?

I shall tweet immmediately asking if xe'd mind showing us a picture of xer minge. Note how I have remained gender neutral to avoid giving offence.

Burney
04-13-2017, 03:22 PM
I shall tweet immmediately asking if xe'd mind showing us a picture of xer minge. Note how I have remained gender neutral to avoid giving offence.

You see? That's the sort of touch I'd have missed out and probably ended up being the victim of a Twitterstorm.

Tell her if she doesn't want to take a picture we'd take a drawing.

Burney
04-13-2017, 03:31 PM
I'll be 35 soon.
The advantages of being in my 30s seems that when I walk into a guitar shop they bendover backwards to assist me as they think I have money. Unlike completely ignoring me when I was 17. actually perhaps that's not a good thing.

To me, a 35 year-old is a young person, f. :-(

SWv2
04-13-2017, 03:31 PM

The young chaps one would have encountered on the streets of Northern Ireland, taking cover in shop doorways and the likes.

Burney
04-13-2017, 03:50 PM
The young chaps one would have encountered on the streets of Northern Ireland, taking cover in shop doorways and the likes.

Those were the chaps, sw. The ones pointing rifles at you.

SWv2
04-13-2017, 03:58 PM
Those were the chaps, sw. The ones pointing rifles at you.

Indeed, how we would banter off each other.

"Brit ****"
"Fúck off paddy"

Looking back now I have nothing but sympathy for them.

Burney
04-13-2017, 04:00 PM
Indeed, how we would banter off each other.

"Brit ****"
"Fúck off paddy"

Looking back now I have nothing but sympathy for them.

It's this sort of high-quality badinage that has kept the United Kingdom together all this time, sw. It's all good-natured, though really, of course.