PDA

View Full Version : This príck on the United airlines flight.

Sir C
04-11-2017, 08:55 AM
I understand that the airline told him to get off the aircraft and he refused, and then squealed like a pig when they dragged him off?

It's their fúcking aeroplane, mate. If they tell you to get off, get off or expect to be dragged off, surely?

What a grade A ****.

Burney
04-11-2017, 08:58 AM
I understand that the airline told him to get off the aircraft and he refused, and then squealed like a pig when they dragged him off?

It's their fúcking aeroplane, mate. If they tell you to get off, get off or expect to be dragged off, surely?

What a grade A ****.

He was running up and down the plane shouting "I've got to get home! I've got to get home!" and claiming to be a doctor in a funny little sing-song voice. It was very funny. :hehe:

Mind you, beating up a customer because you want to bump them for your own staff members is not a great look, PR-wise.

Sir C
04-11-2017, 08:59 AM
He was running up and down the plane shouting "I've got to get home! I've got to get home!" and claiming to be a doctor in a funny little sing-song voice. It was very funny. :hehe:

Mind you, beating up a customer because you want to bump them for your own staff members is not a great look, PR-wise.

That's the point, though. They didn't beat him up, he simply became damage because they had to use force to get him off, which is entirely his fault.

PSRB
04-11-2017, 09:00 AM

Quite, couldn't they have just said that if anyone was prepared to take the next flight, they'd bump them to 1st and put them up if required? No skin off their noses, unlike the poor Doctor

Pokster
04-11-2017, 09:02 AM

What a grade A ****.

Well, if I had paid for a ticket, they had accepted the ticket at check in, let me board the aeroplane and sat in the seat they had allocated me. I might be a bit pissed off to be told I was one of the lucky 4 that couldn't fly because their staff deserved the seats more

Pat Vegas
04-11-2017, 09:04 AM

What a grade A ****.

Strong letter would have sorted it.

Burney
04-11-2017, 09:06 AM
That's the point, though. They didn't beat him up, he simply became damage because they had to use force to get him off, which is entirely his fault.

While accurate, I think at this stage that is now a technicality and will largely be lost on the millions of people who have seen that video.

It's going to cost United a fortune. Mind you, given my experience of flying United from the states (no seat-back entertainment - just TVs on the ceiling showing 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' on a constant loop - this was in 2012 - and they lost my bag), I would be happy to be given a grand and fly with someone else.

Sir C
04-11-2017, 09:06 AM
Well, if I had paid for a ticket, they had accepted the ticket at check in, let me board the aeroplane and sat in the seat they had allocated me. I might be a bit pissed off to be told I was one of the lucky 4 that couldn't fly because their staff deserved the seats more

So you don't believe in abiding by the terms of a contract?

Burney
04-11-2017, 09:07 AM

You would be absolutely entitled to your miffedness, but the fact is that it's their aeroplane at the end of the day and that means it's their rules.

Pokster
04-11-2017, 09:09 AM
So you don't believe in abiding by the terms of a contract?

There are ways and means .... that wasn't the correct way

Pokster
04-11-2017, 09:09 AM
You would be absolutely entitled to your miffedness, but the fact is that it's their aeroplane at the end of the day and that means it's their rules.

Will cost them millions imo, sop well done UA for being ****s

Pokster
04-11-2017, 09:10 AM
Quite, couldn't they have just said that if anyone was prepared to take the next flight, they'd bump them to 1st and put them up if required? No skin off their noses, unlike the poor Doctor

i believe they offered $800 for anyone to volunteer, but nobody did

Sir C
04-11-2017, 09:11 AM

What would be the correct way of removing someone from their seat who was refusing to leave, without physically man-handling him, then? Should they have exercised mind control?

Pat Vegas
04-11-2017, 09:12 AM
i believe they offered $800 for anyone to volunteer, but nobody did

When I check in and gives me that option sometimes to change flight and get paid I always say yes.

I know that's different from actually being on the plane.

Pat Vegas
04-11-2017, 09:13 AM
What would be the correct way of removing someone from their seat who was refusing to leave, without physically man-handling him, then? Should they have exercised mind control?

Do the old bus driver technique. Tell everyone 'I'm not going anywhere until he decides to leave'
Then the other passengers will tolerate this for a short time before turning on him. In the UK it would take a lot longer but the US are quick to get aggressive.

PSRB
04-11-2017, 09:15 AM
Do the old bus driver technique. Tell everyone 'I'm not going anywhere until he decides to leave'
Then the other passengers will tolerate this for a short time before turning on him. In the UK it would take a lot longer but the US are quick to get aggressive.

:nod: That's the one, peer group pressure

Burney
04-11-2017, 09:16 AM

I was once on an flight where they had sold my seat twice because my original flight out had been cancelled and they'd clearly cancelled my return as well and sold it to someone else. That was fun. I was prepared to be pretty bolshy, but not to the point of chaining myself to my seat. Ultimately, if they'd said I had to get off, I'd have got off.
Fortunately, they had a spare seat. I think they were more concerned that this had been allowed to happen, since it constitutes a fairly massive breach of protocol and security. A German immigration official had to come on and rescan all our passports and tickets. Very tiresome.

Sir C
04-11-2017, 09:16 AM
While accurate, I think at this stage that is now a technicality and will largely be lost on the millions of people who have seen that video.

It's going to cost United a fortune. Mind you, given my experience of flying United from the states (no seat-back entertainment - just TVs on the ceiling showing 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' on a constant loop - this was in 2012 - and they lost my bag), I would be happy to be given a grand and fly with someone else.

It's odd just how appalling all Yanqui airlines are and, indeed, always have been.

I remember TWA being referred to as 'Try Walking Across' back in the day.

Burney
04-11-2017, 09:17 AM

I think they'd offered $1000, but no-one was taking it.

Pat Vegas
04-11-2017, 09:18 AM
:nod: That's the one, peer group pressure

:nod: Engine off and then just ignore everyone.

:hehe: years ago when I worked in a hotel we hired a coach to go to Birmingham for a 'It's a knockout' day :-(

We got to the service station and when we returned the coach driver had turned the engine off and the lights off and closed all the doors and just sat there. we are knocking and he ignored us. then he got out and sat on the curb.

Apparently as we had been drinking he was upset and now decided enough was enough. We had to bribe him with several items from the service station.

Burney
04-11-2017, 09:18 AM
It's odd just how appalling all Yanqui airlines are and, indeed, always have been.

I remember TWA being referred to as 'Try Walking Across' back in the day.

They're also fúcking surly. Airlines are one place where British customer service is infinitely better than American in my experience.

Pat Vegas
04-11-2017, 09:19 AM
I think they'd offered $1000, but no-one was taking it.

What was the route?

Burney
04-11-2017, 09:21 AM
What was the route?

O'Hare to Louisville KY

Pat Vegas
04-11-2017, 09:23 AM
O'Hare to Louisville KY

take the money. US domestic flights are like buses.

Sir C
04-11-2017, 09:24 AM
They're also fúcking surly. Airlines are one place where British customer service is infinitely better than American in my experience.

I used to regularly take a Pan Am flight from Heathrow to Frankfurt, which originated in New York and stopped at Heathrow for fuel. The reason it couldn't get all the way to Frankfurt in one hit was that it was the world's oldest 727, rattling its way across the pond years after it should have been relegated to flying contraband in West Africa.

PSRB
04-11-2017, 09:24 AM
take the money. US domestic flights are like buses.

Indeed and cheap as chips

Pat Vegas
04-11-2017, 09:28 AM
Indeed and cheap as chips

It was quite weird on my first domestic flights over there. You see those standby screens at the gates. Looks like bingo.

Even the staff were laid back. 'This flight is going to Vegas, we may go to LA afterwards we may not.'

Burney
04-11-2017, 09:29 AM
I used to regularly take a Pan Am flight from Heathrow to Frankfurt, which originated in New York and stopped at Heathrow for fuel. The reason it couldn't get all the way to Frankfurt in one hit was that it was the world's oldest 727, rattling its way across the pond years after it should have been relegated to flying contraband in West Africa.

:nod: The aircraft they use for internal flights over there are incredibly tatty old pieces of shīt they clearly just flog and flog until they die.

Burney
04-11-2017, 09:30 AM
It was quite weird on my first domestic flights over there. You see those standby screens at the gates. Looks like bingo.

Even the staff were laid back. 'This flight is going to Vegas, we may go to LA afterwards we may not.'

Yes. Sadly, their attitude towards hold luggage is equally lackadaisical :furious:

For instance, I've never been to Nashville, but my fúcking bag has.

PSRB
04-11-2017, 09:33 AM
:nod: The aircraft they use for internal flights over there are incredibly tatty old pieces of shīt they clearly just flog and flog until they die.

I had an old McDonnell-Douglas from Vegas to San Fran, 1st class consisted of a marginally larger seat and a glass of Champagne on take off.

Pat Vegas
04-11-2017, 09:34 AM
Yes. Sadly, their attitude towards hold luggage is equally lackadaisical :furious:

For instance, I've never been to Nashville, but my fúcking bag has.

I also think a lot of US airports look the same when you leave. Endless shuttle buses driving past whilst I am trying to find a cab but of course smoking a cigarette first.

I like to go to Nashville.

Pat Vegas
04-11-2017, 09:35 AM
I had an old McDonnell-Douglas from Vegas to San Fran, 1st class consisted of a marginally larger seat and a glass of Champagne on take off.

I think I was on a flight like that. It seemed narrow but really long.

PSRB
04-11-2017, 09:37 AM
I think I was on a flight like that. It seemed narrow but really long.

Yep, was actually a very pleasant flight

Burney
04-11-2017, 09:38 AM

:hehe: To be fair, I remember similar on BA on a short hop from Düsseldorf to Gatwick. By the time they'd served the Champagne and in-flight meal, you were landing.

PSRB
04-11-2017, 09:43 AM
:hehe: To be fair, I remember similar on BA on a short hop from Düsseldorf to Gatwick. By the time they'd served the Champagne and in-flight meal, you were landing.

I did feel a little bit as though I'd been diddled

Peter
04-11-2017, 09:43 AM

That isn't strictly true though, is it. They can't do whatever they want to you just because it is their plane.

Looks like they were forced to let him back on eventually. THey look like incompetent ****s.

Burney
04-11-2017, 09:45 AM
I did feel a little bit as though I'd been diddled

Thankfully, I wasn't paying. I managed to work fast enough to get a couple of glasses of fizz down me.

This, of course, was back in the days when they still flew journos out to places 1st or Business.

Burney
04-11-2017, 09:49 AM
That isn't strictly true though, is it. They can't do whatever they want to you just because it is their plane.

Looks like they were forced to let him back on eventually. THey look like incompetent ****s.

But physical force is the ultimate sanction in that situation. If all else fails, you do have to physically remove the guy from the flight. :shrug: Yes, I'm sure they could have been more creative, but they do ultimately have the right to remove you from their aircraft.

Peter
04-11-2017, 09:56 AM
But physical force is the ultimate sanction in that situation. If all else fails, you do have to physically remove the guy from the flight. :shrug: Yes, I'm sure they could have been more creative, but they do ultimately have the right to remove you from their aircraft.

I wouldn't have got off and I am a very reasonable person indeed. They should have raised the offer until someone accepted it. It isn't rocket science.

Sir C
04-11-2017, 09:59 AM
I wouldn't have got off and I am a very reasonable person indeed. They should have raised the offer until someone accepted it. It isn't rocket science.

Your first sentence is an absolute contradiction. It's their aeroplane, they make the rules, and by purchasing a ticket you enter into a contract agreeing with those rules. :shrug:

"I'm not getting off this aeroplane" is the attitude of a petulant child, not a reasoning adult.

Burney

I agree that would have been better. However, we don't know whether the cabin crew were authorised to go above a certain point. My guess would be not.

I'd have stayed on there for a while arguing my case, but when they threatened to bring a couple of cops on board with the clear intention of dragging me off, I'd probably have decided discretion was the better part of valour.

Mo Britain less Europe

I wouldn't have got off either. Not unless it was a medical emergency. Certainly not for airline staff, they could have flown on another plane.

"Physical force" is not the "ultimate sanction" when it comes from those not entitled to use it. At that point it is common assault.

Burney
04-11-2017, 10:02 AM
I wouldn't have got off either. Not unless it was a medical emergency. Certainly not for airline staff, they could have flown on another plane.

"Physical force" is not the "ultimate sanction" when it comes from those not entitled to use it. At that point it is common assault.

The people who took them off were cops and thus were entitled to use force. :shrug:

Peter
04-11-2017, 10:06 AM
Your first sentence is an absolute contradiction. It's their aeroplane, they make the rules, and by purchasing a ticket you enter into a contract agreeing with those rules. :shrug:

"I'm not getting off this aeroplane" is the attitude of a petulant child, not a reasoning adult.

Don't be ridiculous. It is an absurd situation that is completely their own fault and falling back on 'its our plane, we make the rules' is a direct contradiction of every statement they make with regard to customer service. Its dishonest, lazy and piss-poor conduct.

They may well have the right to do it but that is a right they shouldn't be exercising, and certainly not in this manner.

****s. Worse than BA and that is saying something.

Peter
04-11-2017, 10:08 AM
The people who took them off were cops and thus were entitled to use force. :shrug:

I believe one of them has been suspended for his use of force in this instance. They are empower to use reasonable force and I think the point is that this does not appear reasonable.

Pat Vegas
04-11-2017, 10:09 AM

like a reverse Mr T. :mrt:

Sir C
04-11-2017, 10:11 AM
Don't be ridiculous. It is an absurd situation that is completely their own fault and falling back on 'its our plane, we make the rules' is a direct contradiction of every statement they make with regard to customer service. Its dishonest, lazy and piss-poor conduct.

They may well have the right to do it but that is a right they shouldn't be exercising, and certainly not in this manner.

****s. Worse than BA and that is saying something.

What a lot of wishy-washy old bóllocks.

You bought into the contract. No one forced you to. Just because playing by the rules isn't convenient for you on this occasion, you expect the other party to the contract to forego their rights.

Generation fúcking snowflake.

Peter
04-11-2017, 10:11 AM
I agree that would have been better. However, we don't know whether the cabin crew were authorised to go above a certain point. My guess would be not.

I'd have stayed on there for a while arguing my case, but when they threatened to bring a couple of cops on board with the clear intention of dragging me off, I'd probably have decided discretion was the better part of valour.

Let's be clear, with me it would never have got that far. I would have been very open to offers and would have taken the money earlier in the scenario.

Burney
04-11-2017, 10:13 AM
like a reverse Mr T. :mrt:

:hehe: :hehe:

Peter
04-11-2017, 10:14 AM

You bought into the contract. No one forced you to. Just because playing by the rules isn't convenient for you on this occasion, you expect the other party to the contract to forego their rights.

I bought a ticket to go on a plane. I didn't buy shares in the ****ing company, I just wanted a flight. Ok, to do so I have to sign something that apparently gives the airline the right to kick the **** out of me if they feel like it but that doesn't make me a willing participant in this.

What is it with old timers like you? Do you get a rod stuck up your arse when you hit forty?

Bruce would be ashamed of you..... ;)

World's End Stella
04-11-2017, 10:15 AM

Back in the day, Delta was having an appalling few years, planes going to the wrong airports, taxiing off the runways etc etc. David Letterman did a Top 10 Delta Airlines Advertising Slogans:

1) Delta Airlines - we may fly you directly to your hotel!

:-)

Burney
04-11-2017, 10:18 AM
Back in the day, Delta was having an appalling few years, planes going to the wrong airports, taxiing off the runways etc etc. David Letterman did a Top 10 Delta Airlines Advertising Slogans:

1) Delta Airlines - we may fly you directly to your hotel!

:-)

Delta are, if anything, worse than UA. US Airways is fùcking ****, also - and insists on taking you everywhere via Charlotte, NC.

World's End Stella
04-11-2017, 10:21 AM

You and V book a holiday in Thailand, MO in Bangkok to begin with, more luxury to follow no doubt. You step onto the BA 747 and turn left only to be told that it is overbooked and you and V will both have to travel economy, at the back, next to the bogs.

At this point you tell them 'I understand, things can't always work out, no one forced me to buy this ticket so we will happily play by the rules even if they aren't convenient to me because that's what the contract says. Now, show me and my wife to our economy seats next to the family of 8 in trackies and trainers from Basildon forthwith, I can't wait to spend 11 hours in their company!'

Yeah right :hehe:

Burney
04-11-2017, 10:24 AM
You and V book a holiday in Thailand, MO in Bangkok to begin with, more luxury to follow no doubt. You step onto the BA 747 and turn left only to be told that it is overbooked and you and V will both have to travel economy, at the back, next to the bogs.

At this point you tell them 'I understand, things can't always work out, no one forced me to buy this ticket so we will happily play by the rules even if they aren't convenient to me because that's what the contract says. Now, show me and my wife to our economy seats next to the family of 8 in trackies and trainers from Basildon forthwith, I can't wait to spend 11 hours in their company!'

Trouble is, of course, that while one may argue the toss and express displeasure, beyond demanding compensation and redress (both things best done whilst not on the aircraft, there is realistically bugger all you can do about it if you are determined to take that particular flight.

Pat Vegas
04-11-2017, 10:26 AM
Delta are, if anything, worse than UA. US Airways is fùcking ****, also - and insists on taking you everywhere via Charlotte, NC.

I had a stopover at Minneapolis. It was quite good it felt like a pub.

Didn't like Atlanta though had to walk through and endless underground tunnel. Detroit airport was boring though I tried Popeyes chicken there for the first time. I don't understand the combination of chicken and a scone.

World's End Stella
04-11-2017, 10:27 AM
Trouble is, of course, that while one may argue the toss and express displeasure, beyond demanding compensation and redress (both things best done whilst not on the aircraft, there is realistically bugger all you can do about it if you are determined to take that particular flight.

True, but I'd express sympathy for the chap in question (and Charles and V in my scenario) regardless of how they behaved.

Such is the c*ntishness of what United did.

Sir C
04-11-2017, 10:27 AM

What else am I going to say? Demand they make another seat in Business by, what magic? I'd certainly be writing them a stiff letter afterwards and I'd be expecting some recompense, but causing a great fuss and embarrassing myself and the crew would be the action of, I don't know, a cad, or perhaps a ghastly foreigner. (Canadian)

World's End Stella
04-11-2017, 10:28 AM

Didn't like Atlanta though had to walk through and endless underground tunnel. Detroit airport was boring though I tried Popeyes chicken there for the first time. I don't understand the combination of chicken and a scone.

There are - apparently - throughout the US of A restaurants that specialize in serving fried chicken and waffles. Together. At the same time.

Yes, fried chicken and waffles. Utterly lost on me, I'm afraid.

Sir C
04-11-2017, 10:29 AM
I bought a ticket to go on a plane. I didn't buy shares in the ****ing company, I just wanted a flight. Ok, to do so I have to sign something that apparently gives the airline the right to kick the **** out of me if they feel like it but that doesn't make me a willing participant in this.

What is it with old timers like you? Do you get a rod stuck up your arse when you hit forty?

Bruce would be ashamed of you..... ;)

You bought a ticket to travel on an aircraft with a set oif terms and conditions attached :shrug:

I really can't comprehend why you find this such a difficult concept to grasp.

Burney
04-11-2017, 10:30 AM
There are - apparently - throughout the US of A restaurants that specialize in serving fried chicken and waffles. Together. At the same time.

Yes, fried chicken and waffles. Utterly lost on me, I'm afraid.

:nod: I have seen people put maple syrup on fried chicken. Actual humans. :shakehead:

There's something deeply wrong with North America, I fear. :-(

Sir C
04-11-2017, 10:31 AM
True, but I'd express sympathy for the chap in question (and Charles and V in my scenario) regardless of how they behaved.

Such is the c*ntishness of what United did.

Fúck your sympathy. It's a mild inconvenience. I might travel in less comfort, or I might get bumped and arrive 12 hours late. It's not a fúcking bereavement.

Mo Britain less Europe
04-11-2017, 10:31 AM
I believe one of them has been suspended for his use of force in this instance. They are empower to use reasonable force and I think the point is that this does not appear reasonable.

Agreed. The cops are not there to use violence to help a party in a dispute. If you prove you have a legitimate claim to be on board and are not causing a disturbance they should not have intervened to bail out UA's incompetence by beating up an innocent customer.

Burney
04-11-2017, 10:33 AM
Agreed. The cops are not there to use violence to help a party in a dispute. If you prove you have a legitimate claim to be on board and are not causing a disturbance they should not have intervened to bail out UA's incompetence by beating up an innocent customer.

But, by not letting the flight take off, he was causing a disturbance.

Mo Britain less Europe
04-11-2017, 10:36 AM
No. UA were causing a disturbance by trying to throw a paying customer out for no reason other than their incompetence.

Burney
04-11-2017, 10:36 AM
Fúck your sympathy. It's a mild inconvenience. I might travel in less comfort, or I might get bumped and arrive 12 hours late. It's not a fúcking bereavement.

I think what we're all missing here is that there would have been quite a few passengers on that plane inwardly applauding as the polis dragged the fùcker off so that they could get home.

Burney
04-11-2017, 10:38 AM
No. UA were causing a disturbance by trying to throw a paying customer out for no reason other than their incompetence.

You seem to think that being 'a paying customer' is some kind of sacrosanct status afforded to one by virtue of handing over some cash in return for goods and services. In fact, in this instance, it was simply a means whereby he entered into a legal contract hedged about by all sorts of clauses and caveats that he clearly didn't read.

Mo Britain less Europe
04-11-2017, 10:40 AM
The contract was broken by UA. It cannot be broken for arbitrary reasons which is precisely what they did. You cannot use contract law to justify breaking a contract for no reason other than your incompetence. |UA had an obligation to perform which they were shirking.

Sir C
04-11-2017, 10:41 AM
The contract was broken by UA. It cannot be broken for arbitrary reasons which is precisely what they did. You cannot use contract law to justify breaking a contract for no reason other than your incompetence. |UA had an obligation to perform which they were shirking.

How did they break the contract?

Sir C
04-11-2017, 10:42 AM
I think what we're all missing here is that there would have been quite a few passengers on that plane inwardly applauding as the polis dragged the fùcker off so that they could get home.

I'd definitely have tried to get a dig in as they dragged him past.

Peter
04-11-2017, 10:43 AM
You bought a ticket to travel on an aircraft with a set oif terms and conditions attached :shrug:

I really can't comprehend why you find this such a difficult concept to grasp.

It isn't remotely difficult to grasp. As far as I am aware those clauses are inserted for legal reasons to cover the airline in the event of genuine emergencies and so forth. THey are not designed to be a convenient fall back to help with their own administrative and operational needs.

Our contracts with students allow us to remove a student from their course at any time without explanation. It goes without saying we have never done it and never will. Falling back on these clauses in a contract is the act of an utter ****.

And I have now used the term plane about 5 times. Will you please take the ****ing bait! ;)

Burney
04-11-2017, 10:44 AM

If they couldn't legally over-book flights or bump passengers, they wouldn't do it. However, the fact is that they clearly can, since their right to do so (albeit whilst having to provide compensation) is enshrined in their Ts & Cs.

Burney
04-11-2017, 10:45 AM
I'd definitely have tried to get a dig in as they dragged him past.

He'd have been getting some filthy looks and tsks from me and no mistake.

Sir C
04-11-2017, 10:47 AM
It isn't remotely difficult to grasp. As far as I am aware those clauses are inserted for legal reasons to cover the airline in the event of genuine emergencies and so forth. THey are not designed to be a convenient fall back to help with their own administrative and operational needs.

Our contracts with students allow us to remove a student from their course at any time without explanation. It goes without saying we have never done it and never will. Falling back on these clauses in a contract is the act of an utter ****.

And I have now used the term plane about 5 times. Will you please take the ****ing bait! ;)

Those clauses are in the contract for whatever reasons the airline decides. On this occasion I believe the issue was positioning some crew, an operation requirement which, according to the terms of the contract, takes precedence over some pleb taking up a valuable seat.

How you treat your schoolchidren is entirely up to you, but has no bearing on how an airline should run its business.

I have explained to you many times the difference between a heavier-than-air flying machine and a tool used in carpentry; I am afraid it is now for you to choose to be right, or to be wrong.

Peter
04-11-2017, 10:48 AM
If they couldn't legally over-book flights or bump passengers, they wouldn't do it. However, the fact is that they clearly can, since their right to do so (albeit whilst having to provide compensation) is enshrined in their Ts & Cs.

It doesn't make it right and they wont use this defence publicly because it is clearly unreasonable.

PSRB
04-11-2017, 10:48 AM

I saw my 1st genuine hill-billy at Atlanta airport, dungarees, mullet, the works. Fascinating individual.

Also had that thing where a detachment of soldiers comes through the airport and everyone gets up and starts applauding them and singing Star spangled banner. All in all, odd airport

Sir C
04-11-2017, 10:49 AM
It doesn't make it right and they wont use this defence publicly because it is clearly unreasonable.

Well it does make it right. Acting in accordance with the terms of a contract is pretty much the definition of right.

Peter
04-11-2017, 10:52 AM
Those clauses are in the contract for whatever reasons the airline decides. On this occasion I believe the issue was positioning some crew, an operation requirement which, according to the terms of the contract, takes precedence over some pleb taking up a valuable seat.

How you treat your schoolchidren is entirely up to you, but has no bearing on how an airline should run its business.

I have explained to you many times the difference between a heavier-than-air flying machine and a tool used in carpentry; I am afraid it is now for you to choose to be right, or to be wrong.

That is a dreadful attitude for a company to take towards its customers and directly contradicts the customer service they espouse. Thus they are liars who are deliberately misleading the public. They may not be breaking the law but you clearly see this as the be all and end all- I don't.

We shall just have to agree that you are who you are, regrettable as that may be.

Burney
04-11-2017, 10:54 AM
That is a dreadful attitude for a company to take towards its customers and directly contradicts the customer service they espouse. Thus they are liars who are deliberately misleading the public. They may not be breaking the law but you clearly see this as the be all and end all- I don't.

We shall just have to agree that you are who you are, regrettable as that may be.

I can't help but notice that your argument seems to have de-escalated somewhat from 'This is a moral, legal and humanitarian outrage!' to 'This is poor customer relations!', p.

Peter
04-11-2017, 10:55 AM
Well it does make it right. Acting in accordance with the terms of a contract is pretty much the definition of right.

No, it isn't. The fact that a contract exists and was signed is not the legal end game in every instance.

Not to mention the fact that you are confusing law and justice there. Unless you think that law automatically carries with it the sum of our collective moral judgements as to what is 'right'....

Sir C
04-11-2017, 10:55 AM

Yes, a chap with some dignity and a regard for the rule of law.

Sucks to be me.

Tony C
04-11-2017, 11:01 AM
I don't have a problem with this BUT there seems to be some other stuff that went on which needs to be explained by UA.

Like what happened to him the first time he was taken off and returned all battered and bruised.

-

Similar thing happened to me in Joburg last year...British Airways flight back to London was overbooked and I was told at check in that they fuc ked up and I'll just have to keep checking back to see if there was room or they would compensate me. Ultimately missed the flight but there was leaving an hour later and they bumped me up to Business class at no extra charge. It was pretty sweet..

Peter
04-11-2017, 11:01 AM
I can't help but notice that your argument seems to have de-escalated somewhat from 'This is a moral, legal and humanitarian outrage!' to 'This is poor customer relations!', p.

Not really. My point is that I might at least respect an airline that publicly declares that it will exercise its rights under a contract and do whatever the hell it likes to you for its own convenience. However, an airline that publicly makes all the right noises in its own PR and then merrily chooses to act like this is thoroughly dishonest. I cannot respect that.

I am not fashioning some moral outrage here. Its just in this instance the airline has acted in a ludicrous fashion and although they can claim to have acted within their rights under the contract, any reasonable person will see this and think it absurd.

If anything I am staggered by their willingness to act like this. Its terrible for everyone.

Peter
04-11-2017, 11:05 AM

Sucks to be me.

Until you fancy a line of coke and a bit of weed, of course. Then the law can go and **** itself.

Burney
04-11-2017, 11:07 AM
Not really. My point is that I might at least respect an airline that publicly declares that it will exercise its rights under a contract and do whatever the hell it likes to you for its own convenience. However, an airline that publicly makes all the right noises in its own PR and then merrily chooses to act like this is thoroughly dishonest. I cannot respect that.

I am not fashioning some moral outrage here. Its just in this instance the airline has acted in a ludicrous fashion and although they can claim to have acted within their rights under the contract, any reasonable person will see this and think it absurd.

If anything I am staggered by their willingness to act like this. Its terrible for everyone.

It's profoundly heavy-handed, incredibly bad PR and is self-inflicted at least inasmuch as it has come about in large part as a result of the company's business practices. On that I wouldn't disagree.

Where I don't agree is with any suggestion that this man behaved correctly, was an entirely innocent party or was within his rights to stay on the plane come what may. He wasn't and the company had the legal right to shift him.

Burney
04-11-2017, 11:17 AM

Sucks to be me.

....Aaaaaaannnnnd, The Guardian have decided it was racist. :hehe:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/11/united-airlines-flying-while-asian-fear?CMP=twt_gu

Luis Anaconda
04-11-2017, 11:18 AM
It's profoundly heavy-handed, incredibly bad PR and is self-inflicted at least inasmuch as it has come about in large part as a result of the company's business practices. On that I wouldn't disagree.

Where I don't agree is with any suggestion that this man behaved correctly, was an entirely innocent party or was within his rights to stay on the plane come what may. He wasn't and the company had the legal right to shift him.
Bless you awimb - this is exactly the sort of thread I came on here to see today.

ftr United is a **** of a company and anyone writing how they are "reaching out" to the disaffected passenger deserves everything coming to him.

The whole thing seems very infantile anyway

Mo Britain less Europe
04-11-2017, 11:26 AM
What rubbish. Some of you pretend to be law-abiders by sticking up for an incompetent behemoth who chooses to set thugs on their clients to cover up their incompetence.

Come back to this thread when UA have been forced to make the gigantic payout they will have to make and we'll see who was right.

But you never come back when you've been proved wrong do you? Just airbrush it into another failed trolling episode.

Mo Britain less Europe
04-11-2017, 11:28 AM

He had a legal right to be on the plane. Disputes of this nature are not normally resolved by baseball bats.

Pat Vegas
04-11-2017, 11:29 AM
Bless you awimb - this is exactly the sort of thread I came on here to see today.

ftr United is a **** of a company and anyone writing how they are "reaching out" to the disaffected passenger deserves everything coming to him.

The whole thing seems very infantile anyway

And we are 3 points behind them now :-(

Sir C
What rubbish. Some of you pretend to be law-abiders by sticking up for an incompetent behemoth who chooses to set thugs on their clients to cover up their incompetence.

Come back to this thread when UA have been forced to make the gigantic payout they will have to make and we'll see who was right.

But you never come back when you've been proved wrong do you? Just airbrush it into another failed trolling episode.

Pat Vegas
He had a legal right to be on the plane. Disputes of this nature are not normally resolved by baseball bats.

I'm pretty sure he didn't have a legal right.

Sir C
04-11-2017, 11:31 AM

Aircraft. And no, he had no such legal right.

Luis Anaconda
04-11-2017, 11:33 AM
And we are 3 points behind them now :-(

FFS Pat - trying not think about that

Pat Vegas
04-11-2017, 11:33 AM
Aircraft. And no, he had no such legal right.

Maybe Mo should read this.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/contract-of-carriage.aspx#sec25

in addition

RULE 21 REFUSAL OF TRANSPORT
UA shall have the right to refuse to transport or shall have the right to remove from the aircraft at any point, any Passenger for the following reasons:

Breach of Contract of Carriage – Failure by Passenger to comply with the Rules of the Contract of Carriage.

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
04-11-2017, 11:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVQcXR2HVhw

Burney
04-11-2017, 11:44 AM

By being racist, apparently.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
04-11-2017, 11:55 AM

What a grade A ****.

I'd be interested to know what the criteria was that resulted in these particular individuals being chosen. Was it last checked in or last to book seats, was it at random or was there another reason?

Regardless, United do come out of this looking like grade A c*nts.

Peter
04-11-2017, 12:06 PM

I don't think we disagree regarding the legal basis. My argument is more that their approach to resolving a situation that was entirely their own fault and problem was an abysmal way to treat an innocent customer caught in their incompetent cross fire.

I could use stronger words but you get the point.

Peter
04-11-2017, 12:09 PM
I'd be interested to know what the criteria was that resulted in these particular individuals being chosen. Was it last checked in or last to book seats, was it at random or was there another reason?

Regardless, United do come out of this looking like grade A c*nts.

Ticket class (ie how much you paid), frequent flyer status..basically they choose whoever's custom they care about the least.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
04-11-2017, 12:17 PM
Ticket class (ie how much you paid), frequent flyer status..basically they choose whoever's custom they care about the least.

In that case what would his options be? Take it on the chin and accept the decision?

Pat Vegas
04-11-2017, 12:17 PM
I don't think we disagree regarding the legal basis. My argument is more that their approach to resolving a situation that was entirely their own fault and problem was an abysmal way to treat an innocent customer caught in their incompetent cross fire.

I could use stronger words but you get the point.

I have only seen a clip of him being dragged around. But what else happened before that? I would like to know.

Peter
04-11-2017, 12:22 PM
In that case what would his options be? Take it on the chin and accept the decision?

Yes, literally, or it may have been the nose.

I would have taken the money but that is me.

Peter
04-11-2017, 12:23 PM
Maybe Mo should read this.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/contract-of-carriage.aspx#sec25

in addition

RULE 21 REFUSAL OF TRANSPORT
UA shall have the right to refuse to transport or shall have the right to remove from the aircraft at any point, any Passenger for the following reasons:

Breach of Contract of Carriage – Failure by Passenger to comply with the Rules of the Contract of Carriage.

He didn't. And I cant see where it says they can remove you for their own convenience.

Pat Vegas
04-11-2017, 12:30 PM
He did as he refused to leave the plane.

it says 'no one may be denied boarding against his/her will until UA or other carrier personnel first ask for volunteers who will give up their reservations willingly in exchange for compensation as determined by UA. If there are not enough volunteers, other Passengers may be denied boarding involuntarily in accordance with UA’s boarding priority:'

Now it's a bit of a grey area if boarding still counts once you are on the plane I admit that.

Pokster
04-11-2017, 12:31 PM
He didn't. And I cant see where it says they can remove you for their own convenience.

It doesn't.. it mentions passengers who were denied boarding, he wasn't deneid as there weren't more passengers than seats, it was UA bumping people for their own staff, so in otherwords their rules don't seem to have any contingency for what happened

Peter
04-11-2017, 12:32 PM
He did as he refused to leave the plane.

it says 'no one may be denied boarding against his/her will until UA or other carrier personnel first ask for volunteers who will give up their reservations willingly in exchange for compensation as determined by UA. If there are not enough volunteers, other Passengers may be denied boarding involuntarily in accordance with UA’s boarding priority:'

Now it's a bit of a grey area if boarding still counts once you are on the plane I admit that.

That was his reaction to being told to leave and thus cannot possibly have been the reason they were asking him to leave. We know why he was being asked to leave and it was nothing to do with his behaviour..

Peter
04-11-2017, 12:34 PM
It doesn't.. it mentions passengers who were denied boarding, he wasn't deneid as there weren't more passengers than seats, it was UA bumping people for their own staff, so in otherwords their rules don't seem to have any contingency for what happened

So it seems there is nothing in the contract that gave them the legal right to do it?

This changes things dramatically for a couple of posters

Sir C
04-11-2017, 12:40 PM
So it seems there is nothing in the contract that gave them the legal right to do it?

This changes things dramatically for a couple of posters

Thank you Rumpole of the Bailey for fully analysing the standard terms and conditions of carriage :hehe:

All carriage is subject to operational requirements. They needed to position staff, that's an operational requirement.

Pat Vegas
04-11-2017, 12:41 PM
Thank you Rumpole of the Bailey for fully analysing the standard terms and conditions of carriage :hehe:

All carriage is subject to operational requirements. They needed to position staff, that's an operational requirement.

I am with you on this one Sir C. He broke the conditions by refusing, I would like to see how he was behaving before cops dragged him off.

And I would imagine in such an industry legal matters and the best lawyers are something they are pretty expert at.

if they give him anything it will be gesture of good will.

Peter
04-11-2017, 12:43 PM

**** me I am not going to plough through all that ****. Have you seen how long the section on ski masks is? :)

I imagine a man with dignity and respect for the rule of law would read them in their entirety.....between tokes

Peter
04-11-2017, 12:45 PM
I am with you on this one Sir C. He broke the conditions by refusing, I would like to see how he was behaving before cops dragged him off.

And I would imagine in such an industry legal matters and the best lawyers are something they are pretty expert at.

if they give him anything it will be gesture of good will.

Could have been worse. He could have been wearing leggings.

Pat Vegas
04-11-2017, 12:47 PM
Could have been worse. He could have been wearing leggings.

There are loads of technicalities on that long piece of info :hehe:
They can throw you off a plane for being barefoot.

Sir C
04-11-2017, 12:48 PM
**** me I am not going to plough through all that ****. Have you seen how long the section on ski masks is? :)

I imagine a man with dignity and respect for the rule of law would read them in their entirety.....between tokes

You're obsessed with drugs, mate. I admit, I may have dabbled in my youth, but, you know... get over it.

A chap of your age banging on about 'weed' and 'tokes'. :hehe:

World's End Stella
04-11-2017, 12:49 PM
:nod: I have seen people put maple syrup on fried chicken. Actual humans. :shakehead:

There's something deeply wrong with North America, I fear. :-(

I'm led to believe it is largely an African American thing.

NTTAWWI

Sir C
04-11-2017, 12:49 PM
I have only seen a clip of him being dragged around. But what else happened before that? I would like to know.

I only managed a few seconds of a clip but he was making the most appalling noise.

No self-respect, see?

Pat Vegas
04-11-2017, 12:50 PM
I only managed a few seconds of a clip but he was making the most appalling noise.

No self-respect, see?

:hehe: :hehe:

sounds like one of my guitar videos.

Pat Vegas
04-11-2017, 12:51 PM
I'm led to believe it is largely an African American thing.

NTTAWWI

And also menthol cigarettes.

Peter
04-11-2017, 12:52 PM
You're obsessed with drugs, mate. I admit, I may have dabbled in my youth, but, you know... get over it.

A chap of your age banging on about 'weed' and 'tokes'. :hehe:

I haven't smoked weed since the 90s. Never liked it.

Anyway, its illegal innit

Peter
04-11-2017, 12:54 PM
There are loads of technicalities on that long piece of info :hehe:
They can throw you off a plane for being barefoot.

Now that I agree with. These ****s who get on and whip their socks off. Its ****ing vile.

Sir C
I haven't smoked weed since the 90s. Never liked it.

Anyway, its illegal innit

Nonsense. These 'laws' with which you appear compelled to comply are merely for guidance for the wise man and the compliance of fools.

World's End Stella
You know what's amazing about this thread? I bet every person who has posted on it could come up with a representation of the events that we would all agree on.

12 pages of being difficult, obstinate, contrary and antagonistic for no good reason.

Well played AWIMB :clap:

Pat Vegas
04-11-2017, 12:55 PM
You know what's amazing about this thread? I bet every person who has posted on it could come up with a representation of the events that we would all agree on.

12 pages of being difficult, obstinate, contrary and antagonistic for no good reason.

This should go in the classics.

Sir C
04-11-2017, 12:55 PM
Now that I agree with. These ****s who get on and whip their socks off. Its ****ing vile.

You go to bed with your socks on? :yikes:

Peter
04-11-2017, 12:56 PM
Nonsense. These 'laws' with which you appear compelled to comply are merely for guidance for the wise man and the compliance of fools.

See, this is the real you. This guy I can live with....

Rule of law...... I mean, come on....

Peter
04-11-2017, 12:57 PM
You go to bed with your socks on? :yikes:

Us cattle don't go to bed, we sleep standing up.....

Viva Prat Vegas
04-11-2017, 12:57 PM

There was a cund who did that last week
Feet on the head rest
It might have been on a coach

Peter
04-11-2017, 12:58 PM

Its 13 pages you innumerate ****! :)

Viva Prat Vegas
04-11-2017, 12:59 PM
UA are not responsible for the loss or damage to ZamZam water
WTF
:hehe:

Sir C
04-11-2017, 01:00 PM
Us cattle don't go to bed, we sleep standing up.....

I'm talking about long haul, peter. Obviously one doesn't have a bed on a short haul flight, that would be silly.

Peter
04-11-2017, 01:03 PM
I'm talking about long haul, peter. Obviously one doesn't have a bed on a short haul flight, that would be silly.

Believe it or not, you don't get a bed in economy, even on long haul!!!! I know, just imagine!

A chap may remove his shoes but socks is just too much. The sockless also tend to be the first to put their feet on things as well. THe seat, arms rests, even the headrest. Its foul.

Sir C
04-11-2017, 01:04 PM
See, this is the real you. This guy I can live with....

Rule of law...... I mean, come on....

:judge: :judge: I had debts no honest man could pay...

Sir C
04-11-2017, 01:05 PM
By being racist, apparently.

They are actually mental. All of them.

Sir C
04-11-2017, 01:07 PM
Believe it or not, you don't get a bed in economy, even on long haul!!!! I know, just imagine!

A chap may remove his shoes but socks is just too much. The sockless also tend to be the first to put their feet on things as well. THe seat, arms rests, even the headrest. Its foul.

Dear God, it's inhumane! I had no idea the poor had been reduced to this level of degradation :-(

I'm going to join the Labour party immediately! Only Jeremy can address this gross inequality!

One imagines this type of person would also sport toenails about an inch long, apparently made of rhino horn?

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
04-11-2017, 01:11 PM

You mean sparkling wine?

Peter
04-11-2017, 01:12 PM
Dear God, it's inhumane! I had no idea the poor had been reduced to this level of degradation :-(

I'm going to join the Labour party immediately! Only Jeremy can address this gross inequality!

One imagines this type of person would also sport toenails about an inch long, apparently made of rhino horn?

It is a simple matter of respect and decency. Like the **** that sprays water everywhere in the toilet just before you walk in in your socks. At least, I hope its water....

Viva Prat Vegas
04-11-2017, 01:12 PM
You mean sparkling wine?

Frexinet cava

Burney
04-11-2017, 01:51 PM

Right. Is this thread finished now?

Sir C
04-11-2017, 01:53 PM
Right. Is this thread finished now?

I should say we've pretty much sorted this issue, yes.

Burney
04-11-2017, 01:58 PM
I should say we've pretty much sorted this issue, yes.

Hmmm. Only I've a few words to say about people taking their shoes off on aeroplanes. It's disgusting. But then pretty much all manifestations of the human foot are disgusting.

Peter
04-11-2017, 02:02 PM
Hmmm. Only I've a few words to say about people taking their shoes off on aeroplanes. It's disgusting. But then pretty much all manifestations of the human foot are disgusting.

Particularly on connecting long haul flights. These feet smell as bad as they look.

I find it revolting and unnecessary.

Burney
04-11-2017, 02:06 PM
Particularly on connecting long haul flights. These feet smell as bad as they look.

I find it revolting and unnecessary.

Indeed. I was once on a long-haul flight next to a bearded Australian of dubious hygiene (there's always one, isn't there?) who was wearing a singlet, shorts and flip-flops, which he took off. So basically, there I was, all the way to Singapore next to some hairy-arsed stranger who's virtually naked. Completely unacceptable imo.

Sir C
04-11-2017, 02:15 PM
Indeed. I was once on a long-haul flight next to a bearded Australian of dubious hygiene (there's always one, isn't there?) who was wearing a singlet, shorts and flip-flops, which he took off. So basically, there I was, all the way to Singapore next to some hairy-arsed stranger who's virtually naked. Completely unacceptable imo.

Sounds like a night with your mum :-(

Peter
04-11-2017, 02:17 PM

I once boarded a flight from Jo'burg and the woman sat behind me gleefully announced to the person sitting next to her that she had been working with skunks for the past month and hadn't showered in a week. Lovely.. at least she kept her ****ing socks on.

On a recent flight the bloke next to me kept openly farting, even lifting his leg to signal each eruption. He ordered the vegetarian meal.....

Peter
04-11-2017, 02:17 PM
Sounds like a night with your mum :-(

Still, Singapore is lovely :)

Burney
04-11-2017, 02:20 PM
I once boarded a flight from Jo'burg and the woman sat behind me gleefully announced to the person sitting next to her that she had been working with skunks for the past month and hadn't showered in a week. Lovely.. at least she kept her ****ing socks on.

On a recent flight the bloke next to me kept openly farting, even lifting his leg to signal each eruption. He ordered the vegetarian meal.....

Ugh. I used to work with a chap who was convinced that farts were inaudible and odourless while flying due to the pressurisation or something. I never flew with him, so never saw him test the theory.

Skunk woman sounds fun, though.

Sir C
04-11-2017, 02:22 PM
Still, Singapore is lovely :)

Hmm, I'm not sure 'lovely' is the word I'd use... but I do like it.

I'm in the early stages of planning a 'work' trip in the Autumn to visit clients in Hong Kong, Singapore and... the Seychelles. :hehe:

Every day of my life I thank Christ that Nigeria is left hand drive.

Peter
04-11-2017, 02:24 PM
Ugh. I used to work with a chap who was convinced that farts were inaudible and odourless while flying due to the pressurisation or something. I never flew with him, so never saw him test the theory.

Skunk woman sounds fun, though.

It wasn't as bad as you would think. Obviously she stank but that was largely from not showering for a week.

I can cope with the smells more than the partial nudity.

My main pet hate is the **** who wanders on with three big suitcases. How the **** do they get on the plane with them?

Burney
04-11-2017, 02:25 PM

I'm in the early stages of planning a 'work' trip in the Autumn to visit clients in Hong Kong, Singapore and... the Seychelles. :hehe:

Will you be taking the wife on this work trip, by any chance?

Burney
04-11-2017, 02:26 PM
It wasn't as bad as you would think. Obviously she stank but that was largely from not showering for a week.

I can cope with the smells more than the partial nudity.

My main pet hate is the **** who wanders on with three big suitcases. How the **** do they get on the plane with them?

Oh, I know. And they get outraged if there isn't room in the overhead locker for all their shīt. I would happily see them dragged violently off the plane.

Peter
04-11-2017, 02:27 PM

Anyone with a keen eye for the british imperial footprint must visit Singapore. One hasn't grappled with its significance until one has enjoyed a beer on the verandah of the cricket club as sunset creeps across the Padang. Bliss.

Sir C
04-11-2017, 02:30 PM
Will you be taking the wife on this work trip, by any chance?

A chap needs an assistant on such an arduous journey, b.

That fúcking taxman bloke hasn't been around for a while, has he?

HMRC :vsign:

Peter
Oh, I know. And they get outraged if there isn't room in the overhead locker for all their shīt. I would happily see them dragged violently off the plane.

They never leave them alone either, constantly up and fiddling with them all flight which usually means getting a hairy, sweaty beer gut in your face at regular intervals.

Pat Vegas

how about Canadians who stick maple leaf tags on all of their bags. or as I call it a 'I'm not american' badge?

Burney
04-11-2017, 02:31 PM
A chap needs an assistant on such an arduous journey, b.

That fúcking taxman bloke hasn't been around for a while, has he?

HMRC :vsign:

:hehe: Talking of 'assistants', did you see this?

https://twitter.com/iadbanter/status/850688495786094595

Sir C
04-11-2017, 02:32 PM
Anyone with a keen eye for the british imperial footprint must visit Singapore. One hasn't grappled with its significance until one has enjoyed a beer on the verandah of the cricket club as sunset creeps across the Padang. Bliss.

Of course the true glory of the British imperial footprint lies in the humble yet comfortable inns left behind. The Oriental, The Mandarin, Raffles, The E&O, all these are testament to the greatness and largesse of the Empire.

Sir C
04-11-2017, 02:33 PM
:hehe: Talking of 'assistants', did you see this?

https://twitter.com/iadbanter/status/850688495786094595

Basic schoolboy error there.

Can we get off this thread now, I can't see the ends any more.

Burney
04-11-2017, 02:34 PM
They never leave them alone either, constantly up and fiddling with them all flight which usually means getting a hairy, sweaty beer gut in your face at regular intervals.

Oh, people who can't leave their overhead luggage alone need shooting. When I get to my seat, I ensure I have everything I need for the flight with me and easily to hand. If at any point, I have to open my overhead luggage, I would consider it an admission of failure.

Peter
04-11-2017, 02:36 PM
Of course the true glory of the British imperial footprint lies in the humble yet comfortable inns left behind. The Oriental, The Mandarin, Raffles, The E&O, all these are testament to the greatness and largesse of the Empire.

Well the last two are testament to entrepreneurial spirit of a few Armenians.

I think Penang Hill is the best relic

Burney
04-11-2017, 02:36 PM
Oh, people who can't leave their overhead luggage alone need shooting. When I get to my seat, I ensure I have everything I need for the flight with me and easily to hand. If at any point, I have to open my overhead luggage, I would consider it an admission of failure.

Yes. Since everyone now agrees that the Chinee doctor deserved a savage beating, i can't see any reason to continue.

Peter
04-11-2017, 02:37 PM

So do I, which is headphones, e-cig, iPad, phone and book. Takes two seconds to assemble those.

Sir C
04-11-2017, 02:39 PM
So do I, which is headphones, e-cig, iPad, phone and book. Takes two seconds to assemble those.

I leave everything in my bag and simply call the Cabin Services Director when I need something.

Burney
04-11-2017, 02:40 PM

That sounds about right. Although those neck cushion things for long-haul flights do help one kip I find.

I was talking to someone about the e-cigs on flights thing the other day. He was saying he uses his despite them telling you not to and has never had a problem.

Burney
04-11-2017, 02:41 PM
I leave everything in my bag and simply call the Cabin Services Director when I need something.

How do you manage with not smoking on long-haul? I used to get a bit antsy after 6 hours or so back when I used to smoke.

Pat Vegas
04-11-2017, 02:42 PM
That sounds about right. Although those neck cushion things for long-haul flights do help one kip I find.

I was talking to someone about the e-cigs on flights thing the other day. He was saying he uses his despite them telling you not to and has never had a problem.

There are a few ways for a sneaky vape.
Under a blanket. up the sleeve. if you take small vapes and hold it in for ages not much comes out.
don't use the toilet though.

Pat Vegas
04-11-2017, 02:42 PM
How do you manage with not smoking on long-haul? I used to get a bit antsy after 6 hours or so back when I used to smoke.

on my last trip I used those nicorette lozenges. they took the edge off things.

Burney
04-11-2017, 02:45 PM
There are a few ways for a sneaky vape.
Under a blanket. up the sleeve. if you take small vapes and hold it in for ages not much comes out.
don't use the toilet though.

The holding it in thing is what I heard. Trouble is, it just takes some pain-in-the-hole busybody to complain and you're in the shít.

I heard you could use the toilets. After all, you're not going to set off the smoke alarm, are you?

Burney
04-11-2017, 02:47 PM
on my last trip I used those nicorette lozenges. they took the edge off things.

I remember getting to the stage where I was thinking of taking one of the cigarettes out of my pocket and chewing the tobacco to get the sweet, sweet nicotine. I didn't, but I came close.

Peter
04-11-2017, 02:47 PM
The holding it in thing is what I heard. Trouble is, it just takes some pain-in-the-hole busybody to complain and you're in the shít.

I heard you could use the toilets. After all, you're not going to set off the smoke alarm, are you?

I use the toilets. They tell you the alarms can detect vapour but it is clearly *******s.

Sir C
04-11-2017, 02:48 PM
I remember getting to the stage where I was thinking of taking one of the cigarettes out of my pocket and chewing the tobacco to get the sweet, sweet nicotine. I didn't, but I came close.

Can we please get off this thread? It's all gone off the edge of the screen.

Peter
04-11-2017, 02:48 PM

I have never tried the neck cushion. I should because my neck is usually killing me by the end of the flight.

Pat Vegas
04-11-2017, 02:50 PM

I've looked into it and on some of the newer smoke alarms have motion detection and it can set them off.
But then when they come just open the toilet and say you banged your head on it or something :hehe:

Burney
04-11-2017, 02:51 PM
I have never tried the neck cushion. I should because my neck is usually killing me by the end of the flight.

I was dubious, but it got me the best sleep I've ever managed on a flight.

Burney
04-11-2017, 02:51 PM
I've looked into it and on some of the newer smoke alarms have motion detection and it can set them off.
But then when they come just open the toilet and say you banged your head on it or something :hehe:

'Motion detection'? In a lavatory? :hehe: