PDA

View Full Version : I've been watching I'm Alan Partridge. The Linton Travel Tavern series.

Sir C
04-06-2017, 11:14 AM
Apart from the fact that it's 20 years old (20 years!) what strikes me is how very, very funny it still is.

wd the repulsive luvvie steve coogan.

The chocolate mousse bit. :hehe:

Have any 20 year old comedy series tickled your fancy recently?

Pat Vegas
04-06-2017, 11:22 AM
Apart from the fact that it's 20 years old (20 years!) what strikes me is how very, very funny it still is.

I was just watching that too as I found it on netflix. though I have the dvd's somewhere.

I didn't like it at the time for some reason. latecomer

Burney
04-06-2017, 11:30 AM

It's absurdly good. And, more remarkably, it bears repeated viewings. It often irritates me how much credit Ricky Gervais gets for The Office, despite the fact that it was in so many ways a substandard rip-off of Partridge.

Ash
04-06-2017, 11:46 AM

Trip: Spain starts tonight, isn't it? Doesn't it?

Burney
04-06-2017, 11:58 AM

I didn't enjoy the Italy one as much as the first one and fear lest it turn out to be a diminishing returns job. Hope not, though.

PSRB
04-06-2017, 12:27 PM

Whole series is available to download from tonight

Sir C
04-06-2017, 12:28 PM
I didn't enjoy the Italy one as much as the first one and fear lest it turn out to be a diminishing returns job. Hope not, though.

Same same. I have scheduled rewatching the original one for the week before we go oop norf.

Ash
04-06-2017, 12:58 PM
Same same. I have scheduled rewatching the original one for the week before we go oop norf.

I preferred the first series too. Last week I thought we were visiting one of the sites they went to - Bolton Castle but then I remembered they went to Bolton Abbey. Neither one is in Bolton, but I think Roose Bolton probably lived in the castle.

barrybueno
04-06-2017, 01:02 PM

Always found it ****ing hilarious and always will do although I always preferred Knowing Me Knowing You (aha)

When ever I bump into Men behaving Badly I remember how good/funny that actually was.

Sir C
04-06-2017, 01:13 PM
I preferred the first series too. Last week I thought we were visiting one of the sites they went to - Bolton Castle but then I remembered they went to Bolton Abbey. Neither one is in Bolton, but I think Roose Bolton probably lived in the castle.

It has a special place in my heart because it made me visit Cumbria for the first time :cloud9:

Pokster
04-06-2017, 01:14 PM

Bolton Abbey is gorgeous... but still not a patch on Fountains Abbey which must be one of the most magical places on earth

Luis Anaconda
04-06-2017, 01:17 PM
Bolton Abbey is gorgeous... but still not a patch on Fountains Abbey which must be one of the most magical places on earth
My word - a post gayer than Sir C's about soldiers pleasuring each other. NTTIAWWT

Ash
04-06-2017, 01:18 PM
It has a special place in my heart because it made me visit Cumbria for the first time :cloud9:

They should do one on pub grub in old coaching inns. Finding the best ham egg 'n chips in the kingdom!

Pokster
04-06-2017, 01:19 PM
My word - a post gayer than Sir C's about soldiers pleasuring each other. NTTIAWWT

Oh come on, Sir C is the most blatent gayer on here.. even his alter ego was gay

Sir C
04-06-2017, 01:23 PM
They should do one on pub grub in old coaching inns. Finding the best ham egg 'n chips in the kingdom!

:nod: Our plan was to follow their itinerary so we went to all the places they ate over the course of 10 days which meant 6 tasting menus; foams and spumes and essences and textures of ALL THAT PONCEY SHÍTE THAT MADE ME WANT TO EAT MY OWN FEET.

I haven't really eaten fayne dayning since, tbh.

They do a truly wonderful hef in the, what's it, Queens Head, is it? In Hawkshead. Something royal.

Sir C
04-06-2017, 01:24 PM
Oh come on, Sir C is the most blatent gayer on here.. even his alter ego was gay

You need to pull your jumper down a bit mate, your homophobia is showing.

Sir C
04-06-2017, 01:26 PM
Did you know that the Geordie chap, Michael, went on to voice Alexander Orlov of comparethemarket fame?

Yes, 'Simples' is Michael 'a coop a' beans.'

Ash
04-06-2017, 01:26 PM

We stayed in the Aysgarth Falls Hotel in the Dales and did a couple of walks around there. Very impressed by Aysgarth Falls - in full flow after recent rains but on a glorious sunny day.

Pokster
04-06-2017, 01:29 PM
We stayed in the Aysgarth Falls Hotel in the Dales and did a couple of walks around there. Very impressed by Aysgarth Falls - in full flow after recent rains but on a glorious sunny day.

You do take it for granted living up here :)

Sir C
04-06-2017, 01:32 PM

Ooh, I'm going to drive through Aysgarth on my new route. Worth a stop?

Pokster
04-06-2017, 01:33 PM

YES!!!!! Will be full of tourists but worth a stop

Burney
04-06-2017, 01:34 PM
:nod: Our plan was to follow their itinerary so we went to all the places they ate over the course of 10 days which meant 6 tasting menus; foams and spumes and essences and textures of ALL THAT PONCEY SHÍTE THAT MADE ME WANT TO EAT MY OWN FEET.

I haven't really eaten fayne dayning since, tbh.

They do a truly wonderful hef in the, what's it, Queens Head, is it? In Hawkshead. Something royal.
What are your Hameggnchips preferences? Personally, I find thick-cut chips to be a must - along with two eggs, obvs.

Sir C
04-06-2017, 01:34 PM
YES!!!!! Will be full of tourists but worth a stop

The town or the falls, like?

Anywhere for lunch there?

Pokster
04-06-2017, 01:35 PM

Falls are v good (especyilly in full flow), town is very small but quaint.... never eaten there as it is close enough to home for us to do in 1/2 a day

Sir C
04-06-2017, 01:37 PM
Falls are v good (especyilly in full flow), town is very small but quaint.... never eaten there as it is close enough to home for us to do in 1/2 a day

Ta. Going to get as far as Ripon on Friday night and then depart early Saturday morning for a wander round the Dales en route.

Burney
04-06-2017, 01:37 PM
Did you know that the Geordie chap, Michael, went on to voice Alexander Orlov of comparethemarket fame?

Yes, 'Simples' is Michael 'a coop a' beans.'

I did know that, yes. Did you know that he is in fact Cumbrian?

Burney
04-06-2017, 01:38 PM

Seems to me that Sir C ought to pop round to yours for supper and a bed for the night.

Sir C
I did know that, yes. Did you know that he is in fact Cumbrian?

I did not know that, but now I do!

Pokster
Ta. Going to get as far as Ripon on Friday night and then depart early Saturday morning for a wander round the Dales en route.

If you are going to Ripon go to Fountains Abbey imo, not far from there..... Ripon is a nice market city (v small city)

Burney
04-06-2017, 01:40 PM
I did not know that, but now I do!

Longtown, apparently. Near Gretna Green.

Sir C
04-06-2017, 01:41 PM
What are your Hameggnchips preferences? Personally, I find thick-cut chips to be a must - along with two eggs, obvs.

Fat chips, natch. Two eggs, natch. Thick cut ham, natch BUT, the most important thing is this:

The eggs must NOT be laid upon the ham, for fear of the ham encoldening them. The eggs must be laid upon the (warmed) plate. After the ham has absorbed some warmth from the plate, it may be flipped over, exposing the warm side, and the eggs laid thereon.

Sir C
04-06-2017, 01:42 PM
Seems to me that Sir C ought to pop round to yours for supper and a bed for the night.

I couldn't afford a Yorkshireman's bill.

Sir C
04-06-2017, 01:43 PM
If you are going to Ripon go to Fountains Abbey imo, not far from there..... Ripon is a nice market city (v small city)

We'll be arriving late and leaving early, I think.

Pokster
04-06-2017, 01:44 PM
We'll be arriving late and leaving early, I think.

You would be most welcome if you needed food for the evening... I only live 10 miles from Ripon

Monty92
04-06-2017, 01:44 PM
It's absurdly good. And, more remarkably, it bears repeated viewings. It often irritates me how much credit Ricky Gervais gets for The Office, despite the fact that it was in so many ways a substandard rip-off of Partridge.

I found The Trip most interesting for revealing that Rob Brydon is quite a lot funnier than Steve Coogan.

Sir C
04-06-2017, 01:45 PM
You would be most welcome if you needed food for the evening... I only live 10 miles from Ripon

Aww, that's kind of you p, but I fear a 10 pm arrival.

Burney
04-06-2017, 01:46 PM
I found The Trip most interesting for revealing that Rob Brydon is quite a lot funnier than Steve Coogan.

Err...you realise they were working to a script, right?

Burney
04-06-2017, 01:47 PM
Aww, that's kind of you p, but I fear a 10 pm arrival.

You don't want to be on't moors at that time. :-(

Sir C
04-06-2017, 01:50 PM

I think it's safe if you stick t' ruuuurds.

Sir C
04-06-2017, 01:51 PM

That was the point. Coogan's character was a bit pompous as well as a bit troubled, whilst Brydon's was happy to be an uncomplicated entertainer.

Pokster
04-06-2017, 01:53 PM

Jenny Agutter :love: well, when she was younger

Burney
04-06-2017, 01:58 PM
Jenny Agutter :love: well, when she was younger

Still probably would, to be fair.

I remember my surprise and delight watching an afternoon showing of Logan's Run when I was younger where, apropos of nothing, she got 'em off. Gawd bless her.

Monty92
04-06-2017, 02:00 PM
Err...you realise they were working to a script, right?

No, I've seen both explicitly state that it's improvised, albeit in a 'structured' way. So yes, they do adopt personas but there's enough creative license for both to be as funny as they can muster.

Pokster
04-06-2017, 02:00 PM
Still probably would, to be fair.

I remember my surprise and delight watching an afternoon showing of Logan's Run when I was younger where, apropos of nothing, she got 'em off. Gawd bless her.

so that is 3 films she gets them off in.... quite a sort then

Burney
04-06-2017, 02:07 PM
No, I've seen both explicitly state that it's improvised, albeit in a 'structured' way. So yes, they do adopt personas but there's enough creative license for both to be as funny as they can muster.

Of course. Improvisation doesn't mean there isn't a script, though. The characters are delineated to behave in certain ways and be more or less 'funny' than one another.

Burney
04-06-2017, 02:10 PM

Let's see: Walkabout, Logan's Run, American Werewolf in London...I'm pretty sure she also got naked in Equus. There's probably loads more.

Luis Anaconda
04-06-2017, 02:11 PM

Playing a nurse, a prostitute and um, a schoolgirl

Sir C
04-06-2017, 02:12 PM

Back in 5.

Burney
04-06-2017, 02:16 PM

Nothing wrong with that, la. It's just the female body, after all. No shame in it. Hem, hem.

Anyway, she was 20 when she did Wánkabout, so it's fine.

Luis Anaconda
04-06-2017, 02:20 PM
Nothing wrong with that, la. It's just the female body, after all. No shame in it. Hem, hem.

Anyway, she was 20 when she did Wánkabout, so it's fine.
Very true - and we were all young when we saw it.

The nurse was the best one anyway

Burney
04-06-2017, 02:24 PM
Very true - and we were all young when we saw it.

The nurse was the best one anyway

I dunno. Was there fanny in American Werewolf in London? 'Cos there deffo was in Walkabout and Equus.

Pokster
04-06-2017, 02:29 PM
I dunno. Was there fanny in American Werewolf in London? 'Cos there deffo was in Walkabout and Equus.

Yes, and don't forget she gets part of her kit off in the railway children....

Burney
04-06-2017, 02:30 PM
Yes, and don't forget she gets part of her kit off in the railway children....

You can't wànk to The Railway Children, p. :-(

Luis Anaconda
04-06-2017, 02:36 PM

:nod: There was always Dinah Sheridan.

Had to wait for Man About the House for Sally Thomsett (though she was about 20 when the film was done)

Pokster
04-06-2017, 02:37 PM

Trains, tunnels... PHWOARRRRRRRRR

Burney
04-06-2017, 02:40 PM
:nod: There was always Dinah Sheridan.

Had to wait for Man About the House for Sally Thomsett (though she was about 20 when the film was done)

No. There are rules and knocking one out to characters who are the eponymous 'children' is unacceptable.

Besides, Cribbins might've appeared at any moment and ruined the whole thing.

Ash
04-06-2017, 03:25 PM

Yes :nod: You can park at the visitors centre and walk round the three sets of falls.

Ash
04-06-2017, 03:28 PM

The hotel by the falls and a couple of pubs in the village half a mile up t'road.

Ash
04-06-2017, 03:29 PM
That was the point. Coogan's character was a bit pompous as well as a bit troubled, whilst Brydon's was happy to be an uncomplicated entertainer.

Which they sort-of switched over a bit in the second series.