PDA

View Full Version : I notice the left wing Twitterati are extremely quiet

PSRB
04-04-2017, 02:46 PM
over the Spanish "war-mongering" by entering British waters off Gibralter

Burney
04-04-2017, 02:51 PM

Yes. What is becoming ever less opaque is the degree to which these people actively hate their own country. To the extent, in fact, that they will happily side with a foreign power - any foreign power - against its interests.

I'd gas them.

Sir C
04-04-2017, 02:53 PM

The rules are:

1. The West is bad.
2. The USA is evil.
3. England is the anti-Christ.

Burney
04-04-2017, 02:58 PM
The rules are:

1. The West is bad.
2. The USA is evil.
3. England is the anti-Christ.

You missed out 'England and the USA will always be judged to a much higher moral standard than any other countries even though this would appear to suggest we actually think they're better than other countries and not really evil like rules 2 & 3 say

PSRB
04-04-2017, 03:02 PM
You missed out 'England and the USA will always be judged to a much higher moral standard than any other countries even though this would appear to suggest we actually think they're better than other countries and not really evil like rules 2 & 3 say

and the general argument about this is about our historical "Imperialism"........fairly sure the Spanish were equally guilty, not too mention responsible for pretty much wiping out the indiginous populations of both South and Central America

Burney
04-04-2017, 03:11 PM
and the general argument about this is about our historical "Imperialism"........fairly sure the Spanish were equally guilty, not too mention responsible for pretty much wiping out the indiginous populations of both South and Central America

Yeah, but as far as anti-colonialists are concerned, imperialism began and ended with the British empire.

Norn Iron
04-04-2017, 03:18 PM
Burney, are you a political editor for a national newspaper?

SWv2
04-04-2017, 03:28 PM

European waters surely?

Burney
04-04-2017, 04:12 PM
European waters surely?

No such animal, mate.

Burney
04-04-2017, 04:12 PM
Burney, are you a political editor for a national newspaper?

Can't say I am, no.

Mo Britain less Europe
04-04-2017, 04:50 PM
Oddly, Mr Mckluskey berates both Britain and Spain, but mostly Britain, in defence of his members in Gibraltar. It's almost as if UK were to blame for Spanish expansionism and EU's malicious support.

AFC East
04-04-2017, 06:26 PM

Isn't that the point? We are better, so we judge ourselves through the harshest lens? We know most, if not all of the Middle East is morally bankrupt, so not a lot of point in holding ourselves up to their standards is there?

AFC East
04-04-2017, 06:27 PM
And obviously we should stand for no **** from the Spanish.

redgunamo
04-05-2017, 09:14 AM

Yes, and also apparently that unpleasant business in Croydon the other day.

redgunamo
04-05-2017, 09:16 AM
Isn't that the point? We are better, so we judge ourselves through the harshest lens? We know most, if not all of the Middle East is morally bankrupt, so not a lot of point in holding ourselves up to their standards is there?

Yeah, but they don't get to judge *us* either. Nation building begins at home and a' that.

Burney
04-05-2017, 09:19 AM

I have no problem with doing that because I do believe we're better than other nations. What I object to is people who apply the high standards we set while simultaneously insisting that we're worse than all other nations and seeing no inherent contradiction.

Burney
04-05-2017, 09:21 AM
Yes, and also apparently that unpleasant business in Croydon the other day.

Only a couple of miles up the road from my folks that. Shrublands has always been a hole, but a moment's googling could have told any hack who'd bothered that The Goat (the pub towards which the assailants ran) has for some time been a Ghanaian pub and not exactly the sort of place that swastika-sporting neo-Nazis tend to hang out.

redgunamo
04-05-2017, 09:30 AM
Only a couple of miles up the road from my folks that. Shrublands has always been a hole, but a moment's googling could have told any hack who'd bothered that The Goat (the pub towards which the assailants ran) has for some time been a Ghanaian pub and not exactly the sort of place that swastika-sporting neo-Nazis tend to hang out.

Yes, rather naive, one might say. At best.

Burney
04-05-2017, 09:31 AM
Yes, rather naive, one might say. At best.

Mind you, who knew there were Ghanaian pubs in Croydon these days?

redgunamo
04-05-2017, 09:33 AM
Mind you, who knew there were Ghanaian pubs in Croydon these days?

Multi-culturalism gone mad, innit. In the old days, lots of TPLACs used to house their diplomatic staff in that area.

Burney
04-05-2017, 09:35 AM
Multi-culturalism gone mad, innit. In the old days, lots of TPLACs used to house their diplomatic staff in that area.

Yes, I remember. Quite a lot of diplo staff from all countries around Shirley (where I grew up).

And there was Ronnie Corbett, of course. :furious: