PDA

View Full Version : Wenger's going upstairs, isn't He.

redgunamo
04-02-2017, 11:03 PM
In the Summer, I mean.

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
04-03-2017, 06:41 AM
Wenger's going upstairs, isn't He.

Only for a good time with your mum.

redgunamo
04-03-2017, 07:21 AM
I did not mean to imply He is going mad, or senile. Obviously He is, of course, everyone knows that by this time. But that's not what I meant to say.

What I meant to say was, I think Wenger is going to be moved aside to the executive board at our football club in the Summer, hence all the mystery, the cloak-and-dagger stuff.

In short, your mum.

Only for a good time with your mum.

Tony C
04-03-2017, 08:06 AM
Reading between the lines I think we'll be getting a new manager in the summer.

Supposedly the deal was on the table for a long time and all he had to do was sign but then results went badly south culminating in the 10-2 and Keswick comes out and says we'll do what's right for the club in the long term, Wenger then says he's made up his mind but can't say what it is or when he's going to confirm it, rumours circulate over a possible new 1 year deal and then more rumours about a wholesale change on and off of the pitch with players and coaching staff leaving and then yesterday he did a sky interview implying that it wasn't his fault the contract hadn't been sorted out as yet.

Reckon the board have decided it's time to move on and they're just working on the long term setup, looking at targets (manager, staff and players) and doing their numbers.

If it's looking a bit shaky then they can fall back on a 1 year extension...if not then its Sayonara as the Chinese say :)

Rich
04-03-2017, 08:32 AM
Reading between the lines I think we'll be getting a new manager in the summer.

Supposedly the deal was on the table for a long time and all he had to do was sign but then results went badly south culminating in the 10-2 and Keswick comes out and says we'll do what's right for the club in the long term, Wenger then says he's made up his mind but can't say what it is or when he's going to confirm it, rumours circulate over a possible new 1 year deal and then more rumours about a wholesale change on and off of the pitch with players and coaching staff leaving and then yesterday he did a sky interview implying that it wasn't his fault the contract hadn't been sorted out as yet.

Reckon the board have decided it's time to move on and they're just working on the long term setup, looking at targets (manager, staff and players) and doing their numbers.

If it's looking a bit shaky then they can fall back on a 1 year extension...if not then its Sayonara as the Chinese say :)

What did he say regarding it not being his fault that it's not signed yet? Perhaps the board have seen sense. Didn't Gazidis say that there are going to be significant changes at the club in the summer?

Luis Anaconda
04-03-2017, 08:34 AM
In the Summer, I mean.
To the TMO you mean?

redgunamo
04-03-2017, 08:39 AM
To the TMO you mean?

The Tortugas Mountain Observatory, the Tenant Management Organisation, Transition-metal Oxide :shrug:

Luis Anaconda
04-03-2017, 08:42 AM
The Tortugas Mountain Observatory, the Tenant Management Organisation, Transition-metal Oxide :shrug:

Television match official - probably best he wasn't there yesterday :nacho:

redgunamo
04-03-2017, 08:45 AM
Television match official - probably best he wasn't there yesterday :nacho:

Ah, yes. To be sure. Never a penalty, imo. I wouldn't have given it, not so close to the end of a game. A stonewaller, yes; a 50-50, no.

Tony C
04-03-2017, 08:54 AM
Interview with Geoff shreeves.

Said he wants to stay and there's plenty of fight yet but can't say when he'll sign because he's waiting on things to be sorted....whatever that means.

redgunamo
04-03-2017, 09:02 AM
Interview with Geoff shreeves.

Said he wants to stay and there's plenty of fight yet but can't say when he'll sign because he's waiting on things to be sorted....whatever that means.

Apparently Gazidis used the term "catalyst for change."

I quite like that one, I think I'll start using it myself.

"At breakfast, dad solemnly declared that his latest hangover would be a catalyst for change."

Your Mum is a catalyst for change. And so on.

Very good.

Rich
04-03-2017, 09:05 AM
Apparently Gazidis used the term "catalyst for change."

I quite like that one, I think I'll start using it myself.

"At breakfast, dad solemnly declared that his latest hangover would be a catalyst for change."

Your Mum is a catalyst for change. And so on.

Very good.

I think He's staying, tbh. But they'll say that it's the final 2 years and will put in measures to ensure a smooth handover at the end of it.

Alexis will go. Ozil will stay. There will be more transfer activity than usual and also the coaching teams will see an overhaul.

We'll battle back from this season's 7th place finish to a victorious 4th position next year and He'll be carried through the streets of Islington to the Town Hall by a mob of ecstatic supporters.

redgunamo
04-03-2017, 09:14 AM
What did he say regarding it not being his fault that it's not signed yet? Perhaps the board have seen sense. Didn't Gazidis say that there are going to be significant changes at the club in the summer?

I imagined that would be something to do with the share price. No idea what though, of course.

He could become our director of football but, for a manager, that's a demotion, isn't it :-\

Rich
04-03-2017, 09:16 AM
I imagined that would be something to do with the share price. No idea what though, of course.

He could become our director of football but, for a manager, that's a demotion, isn't it :-\

Also, for the new man (or woman), it casts a bit of a shadow over your job, doesn't it? I think it has to be a 'clean divorce' if he is indeed to go.

redgunamo
04-03-2017, 09:20 AM
Also, for the new man (or woman), it casts a bit of a shadow over your job, doesn't it? I think it has to be a 'clean divorce' if he is indeed to go.

In the first place, I reckon it's too late for that now. A clean divorce, I mean. Not a new man (or woman).

Secondly, we do actually need somebody just like Him for that DoF job, if we're going to go down that road, that is. So, why not Him.

Billy Goat Sverige
04-03-2017, 09:23 AM
In the Summer, I mean.

Nah, the "changes" will be on the coaching side. People like Bould and Primorac going and Vieira taking their place. Pires the new director of football.

redgunamo
04-03-2017, 09:37 AM
Nah, the "changes" will be on the coaching side. People like Bould and Primorac going and Vieira taking their place. Pires the new director of football.

Waste of everybody's time then, isn't it. You can do that sort of thing any day of the week you like, can't you, so why the suspense?

Are people going to stop waving banners and hiring aeroplanes just because Bobby is on the staff? Why would Paddy be a more suitable coach than Steve Bould?

Billy Goat Sverige
04-03-2017, 09:46 AM
Waste of everybody's time then, isn't it. You can do that sort of thing any day of the week you like, can't you, so why the suspense?

Are people going to stop waving banners and hiring aeroplanes just because Bobby is on the staff? Why would Paddy be a more suitable coach than Steve Bould?

Personally i don't think it will make a blind bit of difference. I suppose the only difference being if it goes well everyone will put it down to Vieira and Pires and it saves them having to find a new manager.

Yesterday Once More
04-04-2017, 07:49 AM
What sort of personal ego trip is he on, saying a month ago that he has made up his mind and not telling people what that decision is. Does he imagine it is good for the club, the fanbase or anyone but himself?

Complete narcissist and megalomanic. Off he can jolly well ****.

redgunamo
04-04-2017, 08:34 AM
I've decided that He's not saying anything simply because He can't, He's not allowed to. His "decision", whatever it is, will, I think, have serious consequences for the club. I'm thinking He can't say what it is because of its momentous nature demanding that the shareholders and our major financial backers be told first. Of course, once they know, and the players know, everybody will know.

As for the team, our form isn't great. The Cup will take care of itself, of course; the players will always want to go to Wembley and win regardless. Champions League football next season is far from certain though so they presumably want as little distractions as possible right now. But He's saying next season doesn't matter at the moment, we need to prepare for, and win, our next game(s), most importantly.

Anyway, to me, the only way this "standoff" makes any sense at all is if He *is* going to be around next season, but *not* as manager. Nobody wants Him seemingly hounded out of the club so this way deals with that possibility too. I reckon if we'd nailed a top four finish on already, He'd have announced His decision by now.

Lots of wild guessing there obviously.

What sort of personal ego trip is he on, saying a month ago that he has made up his mind and not telling people what that decision is. Does he imagine it is good for the club, the fanbase or anyone but himself?

Complete narcissist and megalomanic. Off he can jolly well ****.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
04-04-2017, 08:42 AM
I did not mean to imply He is going mad, or senile. Obviously He is, of course, everyone knows that by this time. But that's not what I meant to say.

What I meant to say was, I think Wenger is going to be moved aside to the executive board at our football club in the Summer, hence all the mystery, the cloak-and-dagger stuff.

In short, your mum.

He has also said that he will be managing 100% next season, either here or somewhere else. Going upstairs is taking that statement to a bit of an extreme.

PSRB
04-04-2017, 10:05 AM
Rip aw :-(

redgunamo
04-04-2017, 10:12 AM
He has also said that he will be managing 100% next season, either here or somewhere else. Going upstairs is taking that statement to a bit of an extreme.

Consistent enough, imo. Theoretically, Kroenke (or even Gazidis) *could* just say **** this and fire Him, couldn't they. And a DoF is often just a manager but in foreign money; the role isn't always well-defined.

Rich
04-04-2017, 10:20 AM
Rip aw :-(

He's staying for two years.

Lady Henry AKA The African Queen
04-04-2017, 01:31 PM
Sadly I think he will be signing another contract, but suspect if it is as bad as this at the end of next season, then he will be gently pushed out as the sponsors will want rid and we all know how our board/ s/holders feel about moola.

I don't think he is going upstairs because he has always said he wants a hands on/ day to day type arrangement that is why he never took up international management.