PDA

View Full Version : Didn't take long for the EU to start softening it's tone

PSRB
03-31-2017, 09:20 AM
did it?

Like the horrible, rich Uncle, might not like him but you can't risk being written out of the will

Burney
03-31-2017, 09:23 AM
did it?

Like the horrible, rich Uncle, might not like him but you can't risk being written out of the will

Apparently, Spain's going to try and get Gibraltar back despite having no legitimate claim to it whatsoever. :hehe:

Pat Vegas
03-31-2017, 09:26 AM
did it?

The EU's days are numbered.

It will end up being some smaller alliance where Germany running a few other countries.

PSRB
03-31-2017, 09:26 AM

It will end up being some smaller alliance where Germany running a few other countries.

Like 1939?

Pat Vegas
03-31-2017, 09:27 AM
Like 1939?

Exactly.
germany have done alright out of the whole thing really.

best thing that could have happened to em. Bit Like Japan too.

Burney
03-31-2017, 09:30 AM

Our presence as a perpetual net contributor and major military player served to counterbalance - or at least to mask - the extent of Germany's influence . Without us there, the fact that it amounts to German hegemony is going to become much more starkly clear.

Pat Vegas
03-31-2017, 09:33 AM
Our presence as a perpetual net contributor and major military player served to counterbalance - or at least to mask - the extent of Germany's influence . Without us there, the fact that it amounts to German hegemony is going to become much more starkly clear.

On a separate note bloody good idea we kept the £. Otherwise this brexit mess would be a lot more complex.

Burney
03-31-2017, 09:42 AM
On a separate note bloody good idea we kept the £. Otherwise this brexit mess would be a lot more complex.

As Portillo pointed out yesterday, the EU keeps making terrible economic and political decisions in order to push the idea of ever closer union. The Euro was just one of these mistakes. When it was first introduced, everyone asked how you can have a central currency without centralised political control. The answer was: you can't, but they were arrogant enough to think centralised political control would come along in the natural course of things. It didn't and now the Eurozone is stagnant.

IUFG
03-31-2017, 09:44 AM
As Portillo pointed out yesterday, the EU keeps making terrible economic and political decisions in order to push the idea of ever closer union. The Euro was just one of these mistakes. When it was first introduced, everyone asked how you can have a central currency without centralised political control. The answer was: you can't, but they were arrogant enough to think centralised political control would come along in the natural course of things. It didn't and now the Eurozone is stagnant.

indeed.

without centralised policies and full economic control, how can a euro possibly be worth the same throughout the eurozone?

Burney
03-31-2017, 09:50 AM
indeed.

without centralised policies and full economic control, how can a euro possibly be worth the same throughout the eurozone?

I remember people asking that in 1997, mate. Nobody had an answer then and nobody has one now.

Pat Vegas
03-31-2017, 09:52 AM

I like Portillo's train show.

Sir C
03-31-2017, 09:54 AM

He's got a terrific pair of tits.

Burney
03-31-2017, 09:54 AM

He sports some...ermmm...'courageous' trouser/jacket combinations, doesn't he?

IUFG
03-31-2017, 09:55 AM

I do, its all done in a very relaxing tone.
The HD quality is excellent as well.

wd creepy ****, Portillo.

Burney
03-31-2017, 09:56 AM
He's got a terrific pair of tits.

He certainly does

Pat Vegas
03-31-2017, 09:57 AM
He sports some...ermmm...'courageous' trouser/jacket combinations, doesn't he?

:nod: I like that he also knows a bit of all languages it seems.

Pat Vegas
03-31-2017, 09:57 AM
I do, its all done in a very relaxing tone.
The HD quality is excellent as well.

wd creepy ****, Portillo.

yep the HD is very good especially on my new telly.

I also been enjoying 2 Greedy Italians.

IUFG
03-31-2017, 09:59 AM

finally got me one of them OLED wons :cloud9:

Burney
03-31-2017, 10:00 AM

I also been enjoying 2 Greedy Italians.

Oh, no. I can't bear listening to Carluccio's breathing.

Mo Britain less Europe
03-31-2017, 10:01 AM
Apparently, Spain's going to try and get Gibraltar back despite having no legitimate claim to it whatsoever. :hehe:

They've failed for 313 years. They will fail again. Half of Spain would leave Spain if they had a chance. And I'm not talking about the millions who've left the inefficient dump for colder climes.

Having said that, Tony Adams is in Granada.

Sir C
03-31-2017, 10:02 AM
Oh, no. I can't bear listening to Carluccio's breathing.

He's going to croak in the middle of a risotto soon, isn't he? The daft old **** can't breathe and can't walk.

Coffin-dodging eyetie.

Pat Vegas
03-31-2017, 10:02 AM
finally got me one of them OLED wons :cloud9:

I got one of those Samsung curved tvs about a month a go was weird at the beginning to get used to it but now I love it.

I never seem to get bored of HD or now UHD.

Although there are not many 4k sources so far there are quite a lot of 4k vids on youtube.

Burney
03-31-2017, 10:03 AM
He's going to croak in the middle of a risotto soon, isn't he? The daft old **** can't breathe and can't walk.

Coffin-dodging eyetie.

The thing is, he's been wheezing his way through TV programmes for well over a decade now and he's still not horizontal. I'm starting to think he's putting it on.

Burney
03-31-2017, 10:05 AM
They've failed for 313 years. They will fail again. Half of Spain would leave Spain if they had a chance. And I'm not talking about the millions who've left the inefficient dump for colder climes.

Having said that, Tony Adams is in Granada.

Yes. Although, if it does come to a war, I definitely think we should keep Seville when we win. They can have the rest of it.

Mo Britain less Europe
03-31-2017, 10:09 AM
I only went to his original restaurant once. But I had Tim Roth sitting next to me.

PSRB
03-31-2017, 10:10 AM
Yes. Although, if it does come to a war, I definitely think we should keep Seville when we win. They can have the rest of it.

Marbella and Benidorm are practically British anyway

Pat Vegas
03-31-2017, 10:11 AM

How's about that then!
oh Seville

Pat Vegas
03-31-2017, 10:12 AM
Marbella and Benidorm are practically British anyway

I went to the supermarket in Tenerife it was ridiculously british.

Do people really buy pot noodles when they are on holiday? and at EUR 2:50 a pop :hehe:

Burney
03-31-2017, 10:17 AM

Do people really buy pot noodles when they are on holiday? and at EUR 2:50 a pop :hehe:

I think it's nice that there are places abroad that British people who are absolutely horrified by the idea of everything foreign can go on holiday, tbh. It shows great foresight on our part.

PSRB
03-31-2017, 10:20 AM
How's about that then!
oh Seville

:hehe: made me chuckle

Mo Britain less Europe
03-31-2017, 10:21 AM

I prefer Bombay Bad Boy actually.

Burney
:hehe: made me chuckle

Jim'll Brexit?

Pat Vegas
I think it's nice that there are places abroad that British people who are absolutely horrified by the idea of everything foreign can go on holiday, tbh. It shows great foresight on our part.

:nod: It's just a natural extension of the British beach holiday/Butlins. but somewhere where it is actually hot.

Burney
03-31-2017, 10:23 AM
:nod: It's just a natural extension of the British beach holiday/Butlins. but somewhere where it is actually hot.

It's not unique to us. Most French people holiday in France because they're equally insular. The difference, of course, is that France has nice weather.

Sir C
03-31-2017, 10:28 AM
It's not unique to us. Most French people holiday in France because they're equally insular. The difference, of course, is that France has nice weather.

The Dutch are best at this. The reason they are such enthusiastic caravanners is that they can take everything with them, from tea bags to toilet rolls. The French hate them as tourists because they come and spend just about nothing locally.

Burney
03-31-2017, 10:31 AM
The Dutch are best at this. The reason they are such enthusiastic caravanners is that they can take everything with them, from tea bags to toilet rolls. The French hate them as tourists because they come and spend just about nothing locally.

Yes, I remember a restaurateur in the Dordogne being quite forthright on the subject when I asked if they got a lot of Dutch in as well as English.

Luis Anaconda
03-31-2017, 10:36 AM
:hehe: A friend who works out in the sticks on the road to Austria here says you can always spot the Dutch coming down for their skiing holidays without looking at numberplates. There is a split in the road - one way leads to the expensive resorts, the other to the cheapo one. The latter is almost exclusively taken by Dutch cars

Though I'm surprised they are big skiers anyway

Pat Vegas
03-31-2017, 10:38 AM

When I visit Northern Italy there is always a lot of Dutch cars in an area near the lake. like loads of them.

But you never see any of them. :sherlock:

World's End Stella
03-31-2017, 10:41 AM

The Eurozone has had the strongest economic growth in the world over the past 3-4 months. Better than China, the US, anyone. So said the head economist at this investment bank of mine yesterday.

PSRB
03-31-2017, 10:43 AM
:hehe: A friend who works out in the sticks on the road to Austria here says you can always spot the Dutch coming down for their skiing holidays without looking at numberplates. There is a split in the road - one way leads to the expensive resorts, the other to the cheapo one. The latter is almost exclusively taken by Dutch cars

Though I'm surprised they are big skiers anyway

Remember meeting a Dutch lad on a skiing stag do and we invited him out with us but nowhere would let him in as in the words of various doormen "tight ****s, that won't buy a drink" and followed up with "lads, wer're doing you a favour". We vouched for him and got him in, did he buy a drink? Did he ****!

Sir C
03-31-2017, 10:45 AM
Yes, I remember a restaurateur in the Dordogne being quite forthright on the subject when I asked if they got a lot of Dutch in as well as English.

Did you get a fish? Yesterday, not in the Dordogne.

Luis Anaconda
03-31-2017, 10:49 AM
Remember meeting a Dutch lad on a skiing stag do and we invited him out with us but nowhere would let him in as in the words of various doormen "tight ****s, that won't buy a drink" and followed up with "lads, wer're doing you a favour". We vouched for him and got him in, did he buy a drink? Did he ****!
Though I must say my Dutch mate here is generous - well he buys me a drink everytime Arsenal finish above Spurs anyway

:( probably not this year then

Burney
03-31-2017, 10:49 AM
Did you get a fish? Yesterday, not in the Dordogne.

No. I remembered I had confit belly pork encased in lard in the fridge, so had that instead with dauphinoise and purple sprouting broccoli from the garden.

Burney
03-31-2017, 11:01 AM
The Eurozone has had the strongest economic growth in the world over the past 3-4 months. Better than China, the US, anyone. So said the head economist at this investment bank of mine yesterday.

Yes. After nearly a decade in the wilderness it's finally showing some decent growth. However, Greece remains utterly fücked and they can't kick that can down the road forever. There's persistent unemployment (the eurozone youth unemployment rate is one in five, and a lot higher than that in several countries). And, of course, Italy is looking extremely dicey.

So I wouldn't go getting too excited about the Eurozone just yet.

PSRB
03-31-2017, 11:06 AM
Yes. After nearly a decade in the wilderness it's finally showing some decent growth. However, Greece remains utterly fücked and they can't kick that can down the road forever. There's persistent unemployment (the eurozone youth unemployment rate is one in five, and a lot higher than that in several countries). And, of course, Italy is looking extremely dicey.

Also riding the wave of the decline of the £ whilst we sort our **** out and the uncertainty of $ due to Trump

Rich
03-31-2017, 11:08 AM

I would quite like an excuse to move the south of France. But all I hear about is people moving business to Dublin, Brussels and Frankfurt :-( I don't want to live in any of these places.

World's End Stella
03-31-2017, 01:07 PM

Hmmm - there are issues no doubt, but to call it 'stagnant' or refer to a 'decade in the wilderness' strikes me as excessive.

Don't lower yourself to the level of the some of these Remain nutters, Burney. This chap, while in a position of some responsibility, was clearly the sort of Remainer who makes those of us who did vote remain cringe, he was so one-sided. The Conservative government has completely screwed up the negotiations, the EU have all the power because of this, the UK will now get screwed and the whole thing will be a disaster etc etc. I got so fed up with it that I asked him what power the May government's approach to Brexit had given the EU that they wouldn't have had otherwise. This was met with 'well you have a point, but, um, well, you know, this could go horribly wrong etc etc'. Loads of qualitative opinions with very little quantitative analysis.

Embarrassing.

arse-nick (avid-analogue-addict)
04-01-2017, 05:04 PM
**** having the job to sort out which Euro laws we'll junk and those that need amending.