PDA

View Full Version : T20 cricket cities

The Insider
03-28-2017, 03:00 PM
Looking beyond the end of the season, does anyone know what the eight proposed cities are for the the new T20 tournament? I am guessing

London
Manchester
Leeds
Cardiff
Newcastle
Bristol
Birmingham
Edinburgh

:titles:

Yesterday Once More
03-28-2017, 03:12 PM
Looking beyond the end of the season, does anyone know what the eight proposed cities are for the the new T20 tournament? I am guessing

London
Manchester
Leeds
Cardiff
Newcastle
Bristol
Birmingham
Edinburgh

Would have thought it was too cold in chilly Jocko land, and they're not very good at cricket. Probably Nottingham instead I would have thought.

The Insider
03-28-2017, 03:31 PM
Would have thought it was too cold in chilly Jocko land, and they're not very good at cricket. Probably Nottingham instead I would have thought.

Possibly, although I think that if anything the 'eighth' place will be between Newcastle, Nottingham, Southampton and Belfast, with the Durham crowd winning the day.

Burney
03-28-2017, 03:49 PM

London
Manchester
Leeds
Cardiff
Newcastle
Bristol
Birmingham
Edinburgh

Not enough southern cities. It'd be crazy to have only one town in the south east given that this is where the population is most dense and all the money's here.

Luis Anaconda
03-28-2017, 03:57 PM
Not enough southern cities. It'd be crazy to have only one town in the south east given that this is where the population is most dense and all the money's here.

There'll be something split between Sussex/Somerset based

The Insider
03-28-2017, 04:59 PM
There'll be something split between Sussex/Somerset based

Sorry to sound like a teacher, but do you know where Sussex and Somerset are? You may as well have something between Durham and Nottingham.!!

I reckon a combined Liverpool/Manchester/Leeds team would be fun! I really don't think that they have thought this through fully. You need at least 10 cities.

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
03-28-2017, 05:05 PM

London
Manchester
Leeds
Cardiff
Newcastle
Bristol
Birmingham
Edinburgh

Nowhere in Devon or Cornwall. Hope that helps.

Luis Anaconda
03-29-2017, 07:55 AM
Sorry to sound like a teacher, but do you know where Sussex and Somerset are? You may as well have something between Durham and Nottingham.!!

You don't sound like any of my teachers to be fair. I meant to say Sussex/Southampton of course. I am well aware of where Somerset is. Just behind Middlesex usually

PSRB
03-29-2017, 11:07 AM
Nowhere in Devon or Cornwall. Hope that helps.

Essex CCC are throwing a bit of a hissy fit about it all. Not sure why they thought they were ever going to get a side

Rich
03-29-2017, 11:10 AM

London
Manchester
Leeds
Cardiff
Newcastle
Bristol
Birmingham
Edinburgh

Southampton will definitely be one considering Hampshire CCC's record in the tournament.

Burney
03-29-2017, 11:12 AM
Southampton will definitely be one considering Hampshire CCC's record in the tournament.

Also, they have the best ground, don't they?

Luis Anaconda
03-29-2017, 11:15 AM
Essex CCC are throwing a bit of a hissy fit about it all. Not sure why they thought they were ever going to get a side
They should try playing at a grown up ground then. FFS I could hit a six there when I was about 12

Burney
03-29-2017, 11:21 AM
They should try playing at a grown up ground then. FFS I could hit a six there when I was about 12

That's what they want, though, isn't it? Loads of sixes?

Rich
03-29-2017, 11:23 AM
Also, they have the best ground, don't they?

Define 'best'. Not really sure how it's possible to beat Lord's tbh.

Perhaps it's better than Lord's for a T20 game. You're not really allowed to do beer swilling and partying at Lord's. However, it is certainly the best place to enjoy a bottle of Bollinger and a croissant over the Telegraph at 10 in the morning and not feel out of place. At least before a test match.

Burney
03-29-2017, 11:25 AM
Define 'best'. Not really sure how it's possible to beat Lord's tbh.

Perhaps it's better than Lord's for a T20 game. You're not really allowed to do beer swilling and partying at Lord's. However, it is certainly the best place to enjoy a bottle of Bollinger and a croissant over the Telegraph at 10 in the morning and not feel out of place. At least before a test match.

No, I mean 'best' of the county grounds in the South East outside London. In terms of cricket watching, the Oval is still the best.

Tony C
03-29-2017, 11:26 AM
ive got the 1st round games...

London Liberals vs Cardiff Cavemen
Birmingham Warriors vs Newcastle Nights
Leeds Lightning vs Manchester Marauders
Southampton Smashers vs Belfast Mayhem

Tony C
03-29-2017, 11:33 AM
Considering this ain't till 2020...if I was one of the cities I'd just tie up a deal now for the entire West Indies Under 19 team....should same them a lot of money in 2020.

PSRB
03-29-2017, 11:34 AM
No, I mean 'best' of the county grounds in the South East outside London. In terms of cricket watching, the Oval is still the best.

Old Trafford is very good plus very easy for me to get to and from. Oval is my favourite still but I've not been to Lords

Burney
03-29-2017, 11:37 AM
Old Trafford is very good plus very easy for me to get to and from. Oval is my favourite still but I've not been to Lords

Lord's is great in terms of the history, etc, but it is an awful lot of seats crammed into a relatively small area. It's rather cramped. The Oval is a big old space.

Rich
03-29-2017, 11:37 AM

Not in London but I also really enjoy watching cricket at Trent Bridge.

Luis Anaconda
03-29-2017, 11:39 AM
That's what they want, though, isn't it? Loads of sixes?
Well yes - but that place is silly. Plus it is in Essex

Luis Anaconda
03-29-2017, 11:41 AM
Lord's is great in terms of the history, etc, but it is an awful lot of seats crammed into a relatively small area. It's rather cramped. The Oval is a big old space.
I was at the Oval for the Pakistan Test last year - seemed a cricket match had broken out in the middle of a Farmers' market. Going again this year though :)

Luis Anaconda
03-29-2017, 11:43 AM

Hampshire's record is absolutely irrelevant - it will be a completely different team. They will probably play in Southampton. Leicester have won it three times but unlikely to figure too strongly in the debate over which cities it will be in

Pokster
03-29-2017, 11:46 AM
Hampshire's record is absolutely irrelevant - it will be a completely different team. They will probably play in Southampton. Leicester have won it three times but unlikely to figure too strongly in the debate over which cities it will be in

Could easily see 2 London teams imo... Manchester, Birmingham, leeds, Newcastle, Cardiff, Nottingham imo

Burney
03-29-2017, 11:48 AM
Could easily see 2 London teams imo... Manchester, Birmingham, leeds, Newcastle, Cardiff, Nottingham imo

:nod: North and South of the Thames imo. So, Essex, Middlesex, Northants vs Surrey, Kent, Hants, Sussex

PSRB
03-29-2017, 11:48 AM

That was my thinking

Pokster
03-29-2017, 11:54 AM
:nod: North and South of the Thames imo. So, Essex, Middlesex, Northants vs Surrey, Kent, Hants, Sussex

Makes obvious sense imo, you get all the home matches at Lords or the Oval and then the bigger grounds outside London

Luis Anaconda
03-29-2017, 12:07 PM
Counties not really relevant - teams will be completely different. Quite likely southern players will play for Northern teams and vice-versa. In the Big Bash you get New South Wales players turning out for Perth

Tony C
03-29-2017, 04:09 PM
Got a feeling this won't be what people think it's going to be.

it's an IPL clone so potential cities will be selected based on possible corporate sponsorships and strong attendances.

Something like the London Emirates Flyers vs Mansion Manchester Blackjacks imo.

any city / town can get into this as long as they have strong financial backing imo imo.

-

PSRB
03-29-2017, 04:10 PM
Got a feeling this won't be what people think it's going to be.

it's an IPL clone so potential cities will be selected based on possible corporate sponsorships and strong attendances.

Something like the London Emirates Flyers vs Mansion Manchester Blackjacks imo.

any city / town can get into this as long as they have strong financial backing imo imo.

-

Well, that and a large cricket ground

Yesterday Once More
03-29-2017, 05:48 PM
Well, that and a large cricket ground

Surrey are going to tell them they can't use The Oval unless the home team is allowed to compete as Surrey. Quite right too.

Luis Anaconda
03-30-2017, 08:26 AM
Surrey are going to tell them they can't use The Oval unless the home team is allowed to compete as Surrey. Quite right too.
Well done on completely missing the whole point of the competition - really well done