PDA

View Full Version : Why I've never really got Cockney Rhyming slang

PSRB
03-23-2017, 04:27 PM
it's quicker to say the actually the word!!!
Examples include
Rub a dub - Pub
Battle Cruiser - Boozer
Britney's (spears) - Beers
Apples & Pears - Stairs
Dog & Bone - Phone
Rose a lea - Tea

Burney
03-23-2017, 04:34 PM
it's quicker to say the actually the word!!!
Examples include
Rub a dub - Pub
Battle Cruiser - Boozer
Britney's (spears) - Beers
Apples & Pears - Stairs
Dog & Bone - Phone
Rose a lea - Tea

Wasn't the idea that it shouldn't be comprehensible to others rather than it should be quicker to say?

World's End Stella
03-23-2017, 04:40 PM
Think your meant to use only the non-rhyming word, mate.

i.e. I'm going to head up the apples and go to bed

PSRB
03-23-2017, 04:47 PM
Think your meant to use only the non-rhyming word, mate.

i.e. I'm going to head up the apples and go to bed

I know but in all those examples the version you'd actually say is still longer than what you actually mean. I think Berni's point might be right

Ash
03-23-2017, 04:48 PM
Wasn't the idea that it shouldn't be comprehensible to others rather than it should be quicker to say?

Yes, particularly the Police.

SWv2
03-23-2017, 04:55 PM
Yes, particularly the Police.

I introduced my young lad to the concept of rhyming slang in preparation for an imminent visit to London, the city of terror as such.

Given his age names such as Gregory Peck and Ruby Murray were utterly meaningless, the concept of a syrup of figs was redundant and I could not even explain why a monkey was £500.

In summary a disaster.

The whole concept needs modernising.

Rich
03-23-2017, 05:30 PM
I introduced my young lad to the concept of rhyming slang in preparation for an imminent visit to London, the city of terror as such.

Given his age names such as Gregory Peck and Ruby Murray were utterly meaningless, the concept of a syrup of figs was redundant and I could not even explain why a monkey was £500.

In summary a disaster.

The whole concept needs modernising.

What other monetary equivalents are there? Am I right in saying that a bag of sand is £1000 (a grand)?

Luis Anaconda
03-23-2017, 05:49 PM
What other monetary equivalents are there? Am I right in saying that a bag of sand is £1000 (a grand)?

:hehe: I thought that sounded more mockney than cockney but apparently so according to this http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/subjects/money

barrybueno
03-23-2017, 06:16 PM

Ive always liked that one, dont get much chance to say it these days :-(

Theres Cock and Hen and Lady Godiva, Ive never understood why a pony is £25 tho...

barrybueno
03-23-2017, 06:19 PM
:hehe: I thought that sounded more mockney than cockney but apparently so according to this http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/subjects/money

Just had a quick look at that, a Commodore :clap:

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
03-23-2017, 08:50 PM
Rose a lea - Tea

It's Rosy Lee you bleedin' gormless berkshire hunt

PSRB
03-24-2017, 09:18 AM
It's Rosy Lee you bleedin' gormless berkshire hunt

Surrey, actually