PDA

View Full Version : Poldi. The manshaft's third highest scorer, won a world cup.

Sir C
03-22-2017, 09:36 AM
Never made any impact for us at all and now, aged just 31, is off to play in Japan.

A very, very strange career.

Pat Vegas
03-22-2017, 09:48 AM
Never made any impact for us at all and now, aged just 31, is off to play in Japan.

Good Morning Sir C.

Do you know where I can find a list of EU operational risk airlines?
I have a boring task to also check the EU blacklist :yawn:

Sir C
03-22-2017, 09:50 AM
Good Morning Sir C.

Hmm, I'm afraid I don't, f.

Have you tried google? This has worked for me in the past.

I have a very boring task today also. I can't face starting it.

Luis Anaconda
03-22-2017, 09:52 AM

His club career really us at odds with his international career overall really. Loved over here (not by Bayern fans but they don't count).

31 goals in 82 games for a player who rarely played the 90 minutes is a good record imo. Mostly match winning efforts as well I would say

Ash
03-22-2017, 09:54 AM
Good Morning Sir C.

I have a Pat Vegas type question.

Bloke who has recently started in my office has such an annoying loud guffaw of a laugh I am thinking of looking for another job just to get away from him. Not seriously, as I don't want another job at this point, but he just makes me think about it. Asking him not to laugh is probably not on either as it seems rather intolerant. Have you ever been in this situation?

Sir C
03-22-2017, 09:54 AM
His club career really us at odds with his international career overall really. Loved over here (not by Bayern fans but they don't count).

31 goals in 82 games for a player who rarely played the 90 minutes is a good record imo. Mostly match winning efforts as well I would say

:nod: A left foot like a traction engine and further such cliches. Personally I used to love watching him, but there was always the suspicion of, how shall I put it, a lack of enthusiasm for movement around the pitch.

And packing it all in at 31. Bizarre.

Ash
03-22-2017, 09:59 AM

I expect many of us would have been happy to pack it all in at 31 for enough of the spondulickses. Does Japan count as packing it all in though?

Sir C
03-22-2017, 10:02 AM
I expect many of us would have been happy to pack it all in at 31 for enough of the spondulickses. Does Japan count as packing it all in though?

Well he's retired from international football (I suspect he wasn't getting a game) but isn't Japan a place you go to at 35 for a final year on big bucks?

Pat Vegas
03-22-2017, 10:12 AM
Hmm, I'm afraid I don't, f.

Have you tried google? This has worked for me in the past.

I have a very boring task today also. I can't face starting it.

:nod: I can't really find anything.

I found the EU blacklist it's quite funny what sort of airlines come out of Africa.

In Congo there is a airline called Canadian Airways :hehe:

Luis Anaconda
03-22-2017, 10:14 AM
Well he's retired from international football (I suspect he wasn't getting a game) but isn't Japan a place you go to at 35 for a final year on big bucks?

Been playing regularly since he was 17 at the highest level. Seems a thing with that generation - Lahm is quitting entirely at the age of 33 (having quit internationals at 30). Per quit the national team at 29. Schweini is only 32 and going to America having quit Die Mannschaft last year. Neuer retired from all football during the second half of the game at the Emirates but changed his mind before anyone noticed

Sir C
03-22-2017, 10:15 AM

I found the EU blacklist it's quite funny what sort of airlines come out of Africa.

There used to be plenty of Russian and Ukrainians on there. Perhaps they've sorted themselves out.

Billy Goat Sverige
03-22-2017, 10:16 AM
Been playing regularly since he was 17 at the highest level. Seems a thing with that generation - Lahm is quitting entirely at the age of 33 (having quit internationals at 30). Per quit the national team at 29. Schweini is only 32 and going to America having quit Die Mannschaft last year. Neuer retired from all football during the second half of the game at the Emirates but changed his mind before anyone noticed

Think we'll see it more and more with the money they're now earning. You see it in the NFL as well, with players walking away around the age of 30.

Sir C
03-22-2017, 10:17 AM

I suppose the drugs took a terrible toll on their bodies, la. Perhaps that's why googly-eyes has retired.

Burney
03-22-2017, 10:18 AM
:nod: A left foot like a traction engine and further such cliches. Personally I used to love watching him, but there was always the suspicion of, how shall I put it, a lack of enthusiasm for movement around the pitch.

Fellow just liked kicking a ball really hard and scoring goals. Can't blame him. Who wants to run around?

IUFG
03-22-2017, 10:22 AM

and a character to boot.

not like the incredibly beige Walcott and Ramsey...

Rich
03-22-2017, 10:27 AM
and a character to boot.

not like the incredibly beige Walcott and Ramsey...

:hehe: very capable footballers but personalities they are not. Imagine a day at the races with Theo and Aaron :-/

Burney
03-22-2017, 10:32 AM
:hehe: very capable footballers but personalities they are not. Imagine a day at the races with Theo and Aaron :-/

Theo strikes me as the sort of person who becomes unfathomably excited by the prospect of a cup of tea and a chocolate biscuit.

redgunamo
03-22-2017, 10:35 AM
That's not so bad in itself, of course; they learn bugger all at school nowadays, in any case. No, the thing is, two of his little brothers have insisted on accompanying him, so I shall really be for it when their mother finds out.

And it's no good explaining truthfully that it's not my fault (I did take the precaution of getting the young criminals to swear faithfully that they wouldn't finger me for having fronted the score). Kids *love* Poldi.

Dumme Männer, you see. Dummer Fußball. Boys will be boys and a' that :-|

redgunamo
03-22-2017, 10:37 AM

The legendary "Mumbo Jumbo Airways". These tinpot little African countries just rent the aircraft and change the livery to make it look like they own them.

Luis Anaconda
03-22-2017, 10:38 AM
Think we'll see it more and more with the money they're now earning. You see it in the NFL as well, with players walking away around the age of 30.

Yep - almost stranger to see people going on into their late 30s/early 40s. I can understand that not wanting to stop playing but keeping up the training slog day after day must be incredibly hard if you are set for life

Sir C
03-22-2017, 10:41 AM
That's not so bad in itself, of course; they learn bugger all at school nowadays, in any case. No, the thing is, two of his little brothers have insisted on accompanying him, so I shall really be for it when their mother finds out.

And it's no good explaining truthfully that it's not my fault (I did take the precaution of getting the young criminals to swear faithfully that they wouldn't finger me for having fronted the score). Kids *love* Poldi.

Dumme Männer, you see. Dummer Fußball. Boys will be boys and a' that :-|

If you had packed them off to a decent boarding school as I advised you to some years ago, you wouldn't be faced with these difficulties. They would be leearning the important lessons in life, such as surviving cold showers, merciless brutality on the rugby pitch, and being sexually molested by predatory *****philes with mind-numbing halitosis.

Think on, r. I don't dole out my wisdom for fun.

redgunamo
03-22-2017, 10:45 AM
Yep - almost stranger to see people going on into their late 30s/early 40s. I can understand that not wanting to stop playing but keeping up the training slog day after day must be incredibly hard if you are set for life

I always presumed that, but, on the other hand, what else would they do; they love playing football and playing, even training, with other professionals is surely the only way they can guarantee a decent game, adequate competition.

The wife has got her own life, so have the kids; your other mates are all working stiffs etc. and so on..

Sir C
03-22-2017, 10:48 AM
Theo strikes me as the sort of person who becomes unfathomably excited by the prospect of a cup of tea and a chocolate biscuit.

One day after he retires, a friend should organise him a big weekend in a hotel suite with 5 grams of gack and two Ukrainian hookers.

The realisation that he has wasted 15 years of his life might be terminal :-(

Burney
03-22-2017, 10:50 AM
I always presumed that, but, on the other hand, what else would they do; they love playing football and playing, even training, with other professionals is surely the only way they can guarantee a decent game, adequate competition.

The wife has got her own life, so have the kids; your other mates are all working stiffs etc. and so on..

There are a surprising number of players who don't love football at all. Some actively dislike it. They just happen to be good at it and it pays well. :shrug:

redgunamo
03-22-2017, 10:52 AM
If you had packed them off to a decent boarding school as I advised you to some years ago, you wouldn't be faced with these difficulties. They would be leearning the important lessons in life, such as surviving cold showers, merciless brutality on the rugby pitch, and being sexually molested by predatory *****philes with mind-numbing halitosis.

Think on, r. I don't dole out my wisdom for fun.

Quite right. It won't be happening twice. The first one appears to have successfully escaped the what was coming to him (always mummy's boys, that sort. Would certainly blub). The following ones are certainly for the high jump though. Their ganny's former business partner is a big man in Harrow ..

Sir C
03-22-2017, 10:54 AM
Quite right. It won't be happening twice. The first one appears to have successfully escaped the what was coming to him (always mummy's boys, that sort. Would certainly blub). The following ones are certainly for the high jump though. Their ganny's former business partner is a big man in Harrow ..

Oh, I couldn't recommend the other place. No, no, that wouldn't do at all.

You don't want them to turn out pansies, do you? (NTTAWWI)

redgunamo
03-22-2017, 10:57 AM
There are a surprising number of players who don't love football at all. Some actively dislike it. They just happen to be good at it and it pays well. :shrug:

Of course, but having made their names in football it's the only environment in which they enjoy real status. Up west at the opera or the theatre, Wenger would be just another mug-punter or know-nothing-****. However, at Swindon Town Seconds v Supermarine Reserves, or even at El Clasico, He is royalty.

redgunamo
03-22-2017, 10:58 AM

Practically unavoidable, I'm sorry to say. Eurotrash.

World's End Stella
03-22-2017, 11:00 AM

Yes, Harrow would be a very bad choice. Problem with Eton is that Little Master WES assures me they are 'scum'.

Plus, you want a boarding school a little more out in the country, red. Put some steel in them, so to speak.

redgunamo
03-22-2017, 11:06 AM
Yes, Harrow would be a very bad choice. Problem with Eton is that Little Master WES assures me they are 'scum'.

Plus, you want a boarding school a little more out in the country, red. Put some steel in them, so to speak.

That would never get past the censors as they won't have heard of it, whatever it was :-\

Ash
03-22-2017, 11:24 AM

Training slog? Surely we've all seen the pictures and clips of Arsenal players gently jogging for a few seconds at the training sessions between the actual day's work of having a laugh with each other. Perhaps this is where our club is going wrong? :watson:

Ash
03-22-2017, 11:27 AM

And yet somehow this sort of brutality is considered a priviledge in our society. Not sure why that is. Presumably because one's father has paid for all this to happen.

Sir C
03-22-2017, 11:30 AM
And yet somehow this sort of brutality is considered a priviledge in our society. Not sure why that is. Presumably because one's father has paid for all this to happen.

I very much regret to report, a, that some recent contact with my old school and some of my old teachers confirms to me that this model actually died during the middle of the 80s. :-( No more corporal punishment, for a start. No fagging. The crumbling Victorian pile entirely lacking in any form of measurable heating is now like a 5 star hotel, with deep carpets and plasma screens everywhere.

They'll be churning out pansies, you mark my words.

redgunamo
03-22-2017, 11:31 AM
.. because one's father has paid for all this to happen.

Yes, it's called breeding. You can't beat good breeding.

redgunamo
03-22-2017, 11:40 AM
Training slog? Surely we've all seen the pictures and clips of Arsenal players gently jogging for a few seconds at the training sessions between the actual day's work of having a laugh with each other. Perhaps this is where our club is going wrong? :watson:

I agree. Especially as keeping fit, jogging, gyming, healthy eating and what-have-you are popular lifestyle choices nowadays anyway, for those with the time and money and even for those without. And not just for professional sportsfolk.

Whatever you may think of it, they are coming for you too. Does HR 1313 mean anything to you? It ought to #SiegHealth!

Ash
03-22-2017, 11:40 AM
I very much regret to report, a, that some recent contact with my old school and some of my old teachers confirms to me that this model actually died during the middle of the 80s. :-( No more corporal punishment, for a start. No fagging. The crumbling Victorian pile entirely lacking in any form of measurable heating is now like a 5 star hotel, with deep carpets and plasma screens everywhere.

So what you're saying is that blokes of around our age were the last to experience the 19th century system of beating, bullying, ritual humiliation and torture, designed to turn out sadistic monsters to run the empire and which Hitler took as the model for the Hitler Youth.

WES minor doesn't know how lucky he is.

Sir C
03-22-2017, 11:43 AM
So what you're saying is that blokes of around our age were the last to experience the 19th century system of beating, bullying, ritual humiliation and torture, designed to turn out sadistic monsters to run the empire and which Hitler took as the model for the Hitler Youth.

We were indeed, which is why everything went down the shítter when the next generation of wimps came to power :-(

If David Cameron had been locked into a cabin trunk and thrown down some stairs for blubbing for his mummy when he was 9, this country would be ina far better state.

Burney
03-22-2017, 11:44 AM

There's bloody girls in your sixth form! Half my daughter's mates go there. Bad business. :shakehead:

Sir C
03-22-2017, 11:47 AM
There's bloody girls in your sixth form! Half my daughter's mates go there. Bad business. :shakehead:

Girls are a mere detail. Apparently no one gets a good hiding any more, from teachers or other pupils! It's fúcking ridiculous.

We're churning out generations of faggots who don't know how to take a punch and get back up.

World's End Stella
03-22-2017, 11:47 AM

:nod:

It's all about pastoral care nowadays, Ash. Master WES has a housemaster, assistant housemaster, matron and multiple tutors to support him as he transitions into a fine, educated young man. Transgressions result in lines and extra work around the school, no bullying, no abuse, no emotional assaults and certainly no buggery.

And the world is a better place for it, oh yes.

Sir C
03-22-2017, 11:48 AM

It's all about pastoral care nowadays, Ash. Master WES has a housemaster, assistant housemaster, matron and multiple tutors to support him as he transitions into a fine, educated young man. Transgressions result in lines and extra work around the school, no bullying, no abuse, no emotional assaults and certainly no buggery.

Jesus H Christ. I hate this world.

Burney
03-22-2017, 11:52 AM

:rolleyes: It's as though people have forgotten that school is actually supposed to be a preparation for life, in which shïtty, unfair things happen all the time and people say nasty things to you. The key lesson school is supposed to teach you is survival in a hostile environment. I feel sorry for these kids when the chill wind of reality hits them.

Sir C
03-22-2017, 11:55 AM
:rolleyes: It's as though people have forgotten that school is actually supposed to be a preparation for life, in which shïtty, unfair things happen all the time and people say nasty things to you. The key lesson school is supposed to teach you is survival in a hostile environment. I feel sorry for these kids when the chill wind of reality hits them.

Of course if life throws them unemployment or illness or tragedy or divorce they'll simply demand a safe space to sit it out in and wait for someone else to sort out their problems :nod:

Burney
03-22-2017, 11:55 AM
Girls are a mere detail. Apparently no one gets a good hiding any more, from teachers or other pupils! It's fúcking ridiculous.

We're churning out generations of faggots who don't know how to take a punch and get back up.

I remember getting into a fight at school during lunch and there wasn't a teacher within half a mile to intervene. We kept punching each other in the face until we grew tired of the business and could no longer remember what we were fighting about. We got on famously after that. Lovely chap, he was. Years later, we used to take mushrooms together and he, being a good climber, would proceed to climb up brick walls. Matt something or other.

World's End Stella
03-22-2017, 12:00 PM

Oh that stuff still happens, boys will be boys after all. One house at Master WES's school had 4 boys expelled last year for some seriously nasty behaviour. And they get held to account for their behaviour and performance in a way that would never happen in a modern business environment so there is no shortage of real life preparation.

It's the more institutionalised nastiness that has been removed and replaced by, get ready for it, a sense of social responsibility. Well mannered, educated, ambitious and socially responsible young gentlemen is the school's goal. None of which requires abuse and buggery imo.

Burney
03-22-2017, 12:06 PM
Oh that stuff still happens, boys will be boys after all. One house at Master WES's school had 4 boys expelled last year for some seriously nasty behaviour. And they get held to account for their behaviour and performance in a way that would never happen in a modern business environment so there is no shortage of real life preparation.

It's the more institutionalised nastiness that has been removed and replaced by, get ready for it, a sense of social responsibility. Well mannered, educated, ambitious and socially responsible young gentlemen is the school's goal. None of which requires abuse and buggery imo.

There's too much expulsion these days. In my day you virtually had to kill someone or be running a cocaine cartel to get expelled. Now they do it for smoking or bullying and piddling shït like that. And they encourage grassing. It's disgusting. My old deputy head used to regard anyone who came blubbing to him about somebody bullying them or such with withering contempt. He'd send them on their way with a flea in their ear and the instruction to sort it out themselves and never darken his door again.

Proper order. :nod:

redgunamo
03-22-2017, 12:08 PM

Interesting. Does the world strike you as a more socially responsible, well-mannered and educated place nowadays then?

Viva Prat Vegas
03-22-2017, 12:08 PM
I have a Pat Vegas type question.

Bloke who has recently started in my office has such an annoying loud guffaw of a laugh I am thinking of looking for another job just to get away from him. Not seriously, as I don't want another job at this point, but he just makes me think about it. Asking him not to laugh is probably not on either as it seems rather intolerant. Have you ever been in this situation?

Nest time he laughs I would laugh just like him but even louder
He will slowly get the message
If he questions your laugh tell him he is a fine one to talk and deck him
Solved

Ash
03-22-2017, 12:26 PM
Interesting. Does the world strike you as a more socially responsible, well-mannered and educated place nowadays then?

In many ways I think it is. The 70's were a bit grim, you know.

redgunamo
03-22-2017, 12:38 PM
In many ways I think it is. The 70's were a bit grim, you know.

There's certainly a discussion to be had there; much of the world's prospects are still fairly grim. In fact, I'm not even feeling too sanguine about my own prospects for lunch, let alone the future of the species :-|

SWv2
03-22-2017, 12:48 PM
There's certainly a discussion to be had there; much of the world's prospects are still fairly grim. In fact, I'm not even feeling too sanguine about my own prospects for lunch, let alone the future of the species :-|

Beer and sandwiches all the same.

World's End Stella
03-22-2017, 02:20 PM

God yes, it's not even close.