PDA

View Full Version : I've got some nice inch thick sirloin steaks.

Sir C
03-16-2017, 04:15 PM
Chips or mashed spuds with gravy?

Pat Vegas
03-16-2017, 04:16 PM

I recently switched the mash.

Burney
03-16-2017, 04:22 PM

Nine inches thick and you want a side dish?

Sir C
03-16-2017, 04:24 PM
Nine inches thick and you want a side dish?

But seriously. I have a penchant for the buttery, yielding mash annointed by the unctuous, deep brown gravy. My glw tells me we cannot eat this as it is a bit northern.

Sir C
03-16-2017, 04:25 PM
I recently switched the mash.

Is this a euphemism?

Burney
03-16-2017, 04:25 PM
But seriously. I have a penchant for the buttery, yielding mash annointed by the unctuous, deep brown gravy. My glw tells me we cannot eat this as it is a bit northern.

There's nothing northern about mash and gravy imo. Chips and gravy, yes, but not mash.

She probably just wants a salad with it, doesn't she? :-(

SWv2
03-16-2017, 04:26 PM
There's nothing northern about mash and gravy imo. Chips and gravy, yes, but not mash.

Steak with gravy sounds wrong.

Sir C
03-16-2017, 04:29 PM

Wait, chips and gravy...

That's it! Chips and gravy. I'm going to do it.

Burney
Steak with gravy sounds wrong.

And yet it shouldn't, should it? It's just beef at the end of the day. You being the callous sophisticate that you are would probably want a red wine reduction or some such, I suppose?

Pat Vegas
Is this a euphemism?

Sir C I don't even know what I am tying anymore.

I am a bit delirious and wasting away.

Burney
03-16-2017, 04:30 PM
Wait, chips and gravy...

That's it! Chips and gravy. I'm going to do it.

So you're doubling down on the northern-ness? Bold move.

She'll give you a disapproving look. You know that, of course?

Sir C
03-16-2017, 04:30 PM
And yet it shouldn't, should it? It's just beef at the end of the day. You being the callous sophisticate that you are would probably want a red wine reduction or some such, I suppose?

But what, in effect, is an entrecote Bordelaise, for example, if not steak and gravy?

It's perfectly natural.

Sir C
03-16-2017, 04:32 PM
So you're doubling down on the northern-ness? Bold move.

She'll give you a disapproving look. You know that, of course?

Am I not master in my own home?

You're right. I'll make a nice salad.

Burney
03-16-2017, 04:34 PM
Am I not master in my own home?

You're right. I'll make a nice salad.

Whereas if I announced I was making chips and gravy, it would be greeted with rapturous delight.

I'm not. I only do it as a special treat.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
03-16-2017, 09:21 PM

Jacket imo

PSRB
03-17-2017, 09:24 AM

Has to be fries :hide:

Rich
03-17-2017, 09:27 AM

Hang on a second. Nine inches?

Sir C
03-17-2017, 09:31 AM
Has to be fries :hide:

It was fat chips. With gravy. :cloud9:

Perhaps I'm ethnically northern?

Pat Vegas
03-17-2017, 09:32 AM

if you start throwing in some cheese curds you may be Québécois.

Burney
03-17-2017, 09:33 AM

Did your glw look askance?

Sir C
03-17-2017, 09:35 AM
Did your glw look askance?

She refused the gravy outright. Wouldn't be tempted even by a chip dipped therein. :shrug:

Sir C
if you start throwing in some cheese curds you may be Québécois.

Yes, I've been looking for a way to use up some of these leftover cheese curds. I can't move for the bloody things!

Pat Vegas
She refused the gravy outright. Wouldn't be tempted even by a chip dipped therein. :shrug:

People are suspicious of gravy.
I never tried the gravy at KFC until awimb convinced me to.

Pat Vegas
03-17-2017, 09:37 AM
Yes, I've been looking for a way to use up some of these leftover cheese curds. I can't move for the bloody things!

No whey!

10 characters

Luis Anaconda
03-17-2017, 09:41 AM
People are suspicious of gravy.
I never tried the gravy at KFC until awimb convinced me to.

That was me :cloud9:

Pat Vegas
03-17-2017, 09:43 AM

:nod: Thanks LA.
Though I suspect KFC have altered their recipe lately.
I think the salt nazis have struck again.

Burney
03-17-2017, 09:45 AM

That's what you get for marrying a posh bird imo. :shrug:

Ash
03-17-2017, 09:48 AM

The salt nazis are always striking again, Pat. Though they haven't got to the caff at the corner of Neal Street and Shaftsbury Ave yet. The tomatoes in their brekky are, shall we say, very heavily seasoned.

Are you still off the smokes? I had to buy my first 30g, unbranded wad of tobacco yesterday. It's all like something out of 1984. :-(
The book. Not the year.

PSRB
03-17-2017, 09:53 AM

well, a joint effort actually

Pat Vegas
03-17-2017, 09:54 AM
The salt nazis are always striking again, Pat. Though they haven't got to the caff at the corner of Neal Street and Shaftsbury Ave yet. The tomatoes in their brekky are, shall we say, very heavily seasoned.

Are you still off the smokes? I had to buy my first 30g, unbranded wad of tobacco yesterday. It's all like something out of 1984. :-(
The book. Not the year.

I have a few cigarettes now and again. But the packs are very gruesome. I think it's sad that they have even banned the cigarette having a silver or old line near the but. They all bland with the same text. we know it's bad but don't insult us.

It's a bit overboard imo nothing else is treated in this manner. Beer doesn't even have to have the nutrition info on the side.

The US still have it right. (even if the buts are the wrong colour)
they are still like this. and inside you sometimes get a card with promotions or points like the good old days.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/pack-of-marlboro-cigarettes-are-arranged-for-a-photograph-in-garner-picture-id94957573

Beer doesn't even have to have the nutrition info on the side.

PSRB
03-17-2017, 09:54 AM

KFC gravy is bizarre, it is never, ever the same. For a fast food restaurant that you'd think they would have a highly consistent offering but the gravy is always different.......always great though

Burney
03-17-2017, 09:56 AM

The book. Not the year.

I'm not taking their sh1t, a. I put salt on my toast this morning, as I felt my 'slightly salted' butter wasn't cutting the mustard.

Luis Anaconda
03-17-2017, 09:56 AM
KFC gravy is bizarre, it is never, ever the same. For a fast food restaurant that you'd think they would have a highly consistent offering but the gravy is always different.......always great though

I don't think I have ever tasted it sober tbf

Pat Vegas
03-17-2017, 09:58 AM
I'm not taking their sh1t, a. I put salt on my toast this morning, as I felt my 'slightly salted' butter wasn't cutting the mustard.

:nod: I started putting salt on my butter. even bread seems extremely bland these days.

So by removing salt we probably end up putting more salt on it.

Pat Vegas
03-17-2017, 09:59 AM

:nod:
I am an easy customer when I get my chicken I just take whatever. Some people are really picky. 'show me that piece' 'I want 3 legs'

Ash
03-17-2017, 10:01 AM
They all bland with the same text. we know it's bad but don't insult us.

Exactly. Self-righteous arseholes with nothing to do all day* but dream up new ways of attacking smokers.

The US still have it right. (even if the buts are the wrong colour)
they are still like this. and inside you sometimes get a card with promotions or points like the good old days.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/pack-of-marlboro-cigarettes-are-arranged-for-a-photograph-in-garner-picture-id94957573

:cloud9: That's beautiful, man. Next time someone I know goes to the states I'm going to ask them to bring back a stack of those. Even though I haven't smoked Marbs for 30 years.

* I've no idea what they really do all day. Probably find new foods to ban salt in.

Pat Vegas
03-17-2017, 10:04 AM
Exactly. Self-righteous arseholes with nothing to do all day* but dream up new ways of attacking smokers.

:cloud9: That's beautiful, man. Next time someone I know goes to the states I'm going to ask them to bring back a stack of those. Even though I haven't smoked Marbs for 30 years.

* I've no idea what they really do all day. Probably find new foods to ban salt in.

:-) I was tempted to buy one of these even if it's a bit gimmicky.

The Smokey Amplifier. micro amp in a real cigarette pack.

https://andertons.scdn2.secure.raxcdn.com/2/1/images/catalog/i/xxld_11310-ATZ1001_super.jpg

World's End Stella
03-17-2017, 10:10 AM
I'm sure it was excellent, Charles.

Although why you bought sirloin when there was almost certainly ribeye around, I don't know.

Sir C
03-17-2017, 10:18 AM
I'm sure it was excellent, Charles.

Although why you bought sirloin when there was almost certainly ribeye around, I don't know.

I choose my steak in accordance with my butcher's recommendation on the day. This week he was particularly pleased with the sirloin, and rightly so.

Food, you may one day learn, is about more than a set of rules you have picked up from watching three epsiodes of The Hairy Bikers.

Burney
03-17-2017, 10:20 AM
I choose my steak in accordance with my butcher's recommendation on the day. This week he was particularly pleased with the sirloin, and rightly so.

Food, you may one day learn, is about more than a set of rules you have picked up from watching three epsiodes of The Hairy Bikers.

I was gazing in bewilderment at an episode of that the other day. What those two know about food and cooking I could ram down my jap's eye and never feel it. :shakehead:

Sir C
03-17-2017, 10:25 AM
I was gazing in bewilderment at an episode of that the other day. What those two know about food and cooking I could ram down my jap's eye and never feel it. :shakehead:

The weird one is married to a Romanian #internetbride) and the other one doesn't appear to be married at all.

Sinister, if you ask me.

World's End Stella
03-17-2017, 10:25 AM

Yeah, like I've ever watched a single episode of those two Geordie muppets. :rolleyes:

To each his own, of course. But I would remind you of one of the most basic tenets of cooking; fat is flavor.

Nuff said.

World's End Stella
03-17-2017, 10:27 AM

Yes. See also Nigella and the two old birds who are now both dead.

Ash
03-17-2017, 10:28 AM
flavor.

:redcard:.

World's End Stella
03-17-2017, 10:31 AM
:redcard:.

Think it auto-corrected me or I mistyped, as I would never spell it the Yankee way, I can assure you.

Canadians spell it 'flavour'.

Ash
03-17-2017, 10:35 AM
Think it auto-corrected me or I mistyped, as I would never spell it the Yankee way, I can assure you.

Canadians spell it 'flavour'.

Yeah, Granit, you honesty went for the ball but somehow scythed the player down. You're still off.