PDA

View Full Version : European Court rules employers can ban Islamic headscarves at work

Monty92
03-14-2017, 11:03 AM
Wrong, imo.

Pat Vegas
03-14-2017, 11:06 AM
Wrong, imo.

I always like the look when a lady is wearing one. but all glammed up with make up and wearing heels.
I thought it was something to do with modesty.

Sir C
03-14-2017, 11:07 AM
Wrong, imo.

You don't think employers should be allowed to enforce a dress code?

Pat Vegas
03-14-2017, 11:07 AM
You don't think employers should be allowed to enforce a dress code?

It's slowly going though.

I used to turn up in a suit. Then this south London mob joined the office now I come in in my trainers.

Burney
03-14-2017, 11:08 AM
Wrong, imo.

Not wrong. Outside work, one may do as one wishes, but in the workplace, the employer gets to set the rules.

Pat Vegas
03-14-2017, 11:09 AM
Not wrong. Outside work, one may do as one wishes, but in the workplace, the employer gets to set the rules.

But would they ask a Sikh to remove his turbin?

or ask monty to remove his little hat?

Sir C
03-14-2017, 11:10 AM
It's slowly going though.

I used to turn up in a suit. Then this south London mob joined the office now I come in in my trainers.

I used to enjoy wearing a suit every day. It was like putting on a uniform; it concentrated the mind. Now I dress like a slob, think like a slob and work like a slob. :-(

World's End Stella
03-14-2017, 11:11 AM

Provided that those rules do not violate the basic human rights to which we are all entitled.

An important distinction, I think. And - sadly - I'm with Monty on this one.

Pat Vegas
03-14-2017, 11:12 AM
I used to enjoy wearing a suit every day. It was like putting on a uniform; it concentrated the mind. Now I dress like a slob, think like a slob and work like a slob. :-(

:nod: suit gives you confidence. You walk differently. People treat you differently.

I made the error of walking into a guitar shop whilst wearing a suit. They proceeded to put multiple expensive guitars in my hands.
and I don't like playing guitars in shops.

Sir C
Provided that those rules do not violate the basic human rights to which we are all entitled.

What are these "basic human rights to which we are all entitled" which you have just invented in your brain cell?

Monty92

disagree on this occasion

Pat Vegas
03-14-2017, 11:13 AM
disagree on this occasion

Is that it?

Burney
03-14-2017, 11:13 AM
But would they ask a Sikh to remove his turbin?

or ask monty to remove his little hat?

Well that's the key, y'see? If you do it for the Allans, you have to do it for all, otherwise it's discriminatory. Which, of course, is why it won't amount to anything.

Burney
03-14-2017, 11:14 AM

There's no human rights that mean you're allowed to dress as you please on someone else's dollar, I'm afraid.

Monty92
03-14-2017, 11:17 AM
Is that it?

IM ON the phone to a client :hehe:

Burney
03-14-2017, 11:18 AM

Ask him what he thinks about it.

Pat Vegas
03-14-2017, 11:18 AM

:hehe: that reminds me I should do some work.

Pokster
03-14-2017, 11:26 AM

What human rights? The right to wear what you want or the employers right to set what you wear??

IUFG
03-14-2017, 12:19 PM
Wrong, imo.

A policy can now legally ban ALL political, philosophical or religious signs, m.

including your yarmulke

Burney
03-14-2017, 12:23 PM
A policy can now legally ban ALL political, philosophical or religious signs, m.

including your yarmulke

But it presumably cannot allow some and ban others?

IUFG
03-14-2017, 12:30 PM
early days of the ruling I suppose, but the legal interpretation of these things is usually binary, b.

Ban the lot and you're safe.

I can't see how banning a headscarf but allowing, say, a crucifix to be visibly worn would not be discriminatory.

Burney
03-14-2017, 01:06 PM
early days of the ruling I suppose, but the legal interpretation of these things is usually binary, b.

Ban the lot and you're safe.

I can't see how banning a headscarf but allowing, say, a crucifix to be visibly worn would not be discriminatory.

Nor me. Which is why no sane employer is going to risk imposing any such rule. Just asking to get yourself sued

Monty92
03-14-2017, 01:07 PM
Nor me. Which is why no sane employer is going to risk imposing any such rule. Just asking to get yourself sued

But this ruling was triggered by an employer doing just that.

SWv2
03-14-2017, 01:10 PM

Jeans, t-shirt, trainers - that's how I roll professionally.

Desert boots if a big client is coming in, to impress him/her.

Sir C
03-14-2017, 01:12 PM
Jeans, t-shirt, trainers - that's how I roll professionally.

Desert boots if a big client is coming in, to impress him/her.

Surely you jest? Jeans? In a work environment? Trainers?

Are you a hod-carrier?

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
03-14-2017, 01:17 PM

Do you charge by the hour or per deposit?

SWv2
03-14-2017, 01:18 PM
Surely you jest? Jeans? In a work environment? Trainers?

Are you a hod-carrier?

My attire does not in any way affect my ability to do my job. I wore suits for about a decade from 1994-2004, can’t be doing with them.

Oddly enough when we were doing some marketing PR or whatever my boss asked me to shirt up for the day but next day it was back to casual suaveness.

You need to get with the time Grandad. I expect you even wear a tie.

Sir C
03-14-2017, 01:22 PM
My attire does not in any way affect my ability to do my job. I wore suits for about a decade from 1994-2004, can’t be doing with them.

Oddly enough when we were doing some marketing PR or whatever my boss asked me to shirt up for the day but next day it was back to casual suaveness.

One understands (and regrets) that there has been a relaxation of the customs governing men's attire in the office, but surely a smart pair of trousers, a sports jacket and a shirt don't represent too much of a challenge for even the most morally and physically indigent types such as yourself?

On a dress down day I sometimes ditch the tie in favour of a simple cravat.

Pokster
03-14-2017, 01:23 PM

:nono: he only wears a tie when he is in court charged with winding the clock back

Luis Anaconda
03-14-2017, 01:30 PM
:nono: he only wears a tie when he is in court charged with winding the clock back

Can he wind the clock back any further - he still seems to think it's 1908 ... oh, I see

Burney
03-14-2017, 01:33 PM
But this ruling was triggered by an employer doing just that.

Yes. And they got sued.

Monty92
03-14-2017, 01:35 PM
Yes. And they got sued.

This is a fair point

World's End Stella
03-14-2017, 01:40 PM
What are these "basic human rights to which we are all entitled" which you have just invented in your brain cell?

Oh there's a few of them about. The right to be free from discrimination due to race, religion etc. to name but one.

Perhaps if you were educated and spent less time selling used cars you'd have learnt about them.

Sir C
03-14-2017, 01:43 PM
Oh there's a few of them about. The right to be free from discrimination due to race, religion etc. to name but one.

Perhaps if you were educated and spent less time selling used cars you'd have learnt about them.

Well done Brains! The whole 'used car' gag!

You must be the funniest **** alive.

AFC East
03-14-2017, 01:46 PM
This is a fair point

And won.xxxxx

AFC East
03-14-2017, 01:48 PM
I was filling out the 10, not blowing kisses. Probably.

Monty92
03-14-2017, 01:50 PM
I was filling out the 10, not blowing kisses. Probably.

Too late xxxxxx

World's End Stella
03-14-2017, 01:51 PM
Well done Brains! The whole 'used car' gag!

You must be the funniest **** alive.

It wasn't nearly as funny as the 'your brain cell' gag. Now stop being a pompous old stoat* and calm down.

*@ Herbert Chapman

redgunamo
03-14-2017, 08:06 PM

including your yarmulke

No more "I'm with stupid!" t-shirts? :-(