PDA

View Full Version : Aw, that Ed Sheeran seems like a sweet lad.

Sir C
03-13-2017, 02:09 PM
Has anyone heard one of his records? I assume the 'music' is made by computers while he shouts?

Pokster
03-13-2017, 02:11 PM
Has anyone heard one of his records? I assume the 'music' is made by computers while he shouts?

Now look Grandad, you should like him as it is him and a guitar, doesn't rely on gimics... right up your alley I would say

Sir C
03-13-2017, 02:12 PM
Now look Grandad, you should like him as it is him and a guitar, doesn't rely on gimics... right up your alley I would say

He plays a guitar? And actually, you know, sings, you mean? I'll pop to HMV and buy his latest release.

IUFG
03-13-2017, 02:14 PM
sc, computers do not make music.

Computers may well aid the production and arrangement of music but they don't make it.

Someone still has to arrange all these notes in an order that is easy on the ear based on harmonics and fundamental frequencies. Often a musician.

Ed Sheeran? Ginger haired, Suffolk based guitar strummer. So I hear.

Pokster
03-13-2017, 02:16 PM
He plays a guitar? And actually, you know, sings, you mean? I'll pop to HMV and buy his latest release.

He is actually rather good... the other shocking hting is that you can understand what he is singing.... no more looking on the interweb trying to work out what the hell they are warbling on about

Sir C
03-13-2017, 02:18 PM
sc, computers do not make music.

Computers may well aid the production and arrangement of music but they don't make it.

Someone still has to arrange all these notes in an order that is easy on the ear based on harmonics and fundamental frequencies. Often a musician.

Ed Sheeran? Ginger haired, Suffolk based guitar strummer. So I hear.

:nono: There are blokes who can't play guitars who make records. Honestly. They press buttons on computers.

Worse, there are ****s who go on stage and play records and they get called musicians. The worst of these godless fúcking infections strap torches to their heads.

I wish God would wash away the filth that walks this earth tbh.

IUFG
03-13-2017, 02:24 PM
:nono: There are blokes who can't play guitars who make records. Honestly. They press buttons on computers.

Worse, there are ****s who go on stage and play records and they get called musicians. The worst of these godless fúcking infections strap torches to their heads.

I wish God would wash away the filth that walks this earth tbh.

:fishing:

I have my tickets to see Leftfield :music:

A top bunch of button pushers who will, without a shadow of a doubt, stove my eardrums in with almost visible bass levels. :cloud9:

SWv2
03-13-2017, 02:25 PM

280 million downloads or streams of his new album in a week (or something like that).

Remarkably popular for something so unremarkable.

Sir C
03-13-2017, 02:28 PM
:fishing:

I have my tickets to see Leftfield :music:

A top bunch of button pushers who will, without a shadow of a doubt, stove my eardrums in with almost visible bass levels. :cloud9:

No hope of a bass player being involved with that bass, I take it? :-(

Sir C
03-13-2017, 02:30 PM
280 million downloads or streams of his new album in a week (or something like that).

Remarkably popular for something so unremarkable.

I just looked on this 'you tube'.

Appears to be as dull as ditchwater, but, to his credit, at least he can actually play and instrument and sing a bit.

IUFG
03-13-2017, 02:34 PM
No hope of a bass player being involved with that bass, I take it? :-(

every chance of it, sc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G33kUnk8Rho

Sir C
03-13-2017, 02:36 PM
every chance of it, sc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G33kUnk8Rho

You said they were button pushers. I can see blokes playing instruments.

Do you kiss your mother with those lying lips, i?

SWv2
03-13-2017, 02:36 PM
I just looked on this 'you tube'.

Appears to be as dull as ditchwater, but, to his credit, at least he can actually play and instrument and sing a bit.

I suppose you would class his work as being harmless radio music however at risk of sounding old they all sound the same to me.

Hugely popular in Ireland as you may expect, sold out stadium shows in Croke Park and his audience spanning generations. Of course he does play up to us in respect of his Irish heritage and how he loves to tell us of the summers spent in Wexford with his old granny.

His popularity I must admit to finding mind boggling.

IUFG
03-13-2017, 02:40 PM

it appears it was a smart move to get Pharrell Williams involved during his early years

Sir C
03-13-2017, 02:41 PM
I suppose you would class his work as being harmless radio music however at risk of sounding old they all sound the same to me.

Hugely popular in Ireland as you may expect, sold out stadium shows in Croke Park and his audience spanning generations. Of course he does play up to us in respect of his Irish heritage and how he loves to tell us of the summers spent in Wexford with his old granny.

I'm just relieved that the likes of him and James Blunt still sell records, because the day will come when kids aren't excited by their heroes playing guitars any more, so they won't spend their formative years locked in their bedrooms trying to master Keith Richards riffs, instead they'll be strutting backwards and forwards shouting 'bitch' into a microphone in a pianful cod-Jamaican accent while some daft **** behind them plays a record.

And then music will die and the world won't be worth living in any more.

SWv2
03-13-2017, 02:44 PM
I'm just relieved that the likes of him and James Blunt still sell records, because the day will come when kids aren't excited by their heroes playing guitars any more, so they won't spend their formative years locked in their bedrooms trying to master Keith Richards riffs, instead they'll be strutting backwards and forwards shouting 'bitch' into a microphone in a pianful cod-Jamaican accent while some daft **** behind them plays a record.

Irrespective of new talent kids will always have the old classics to listen to.

My kids will regularly ask for The Jam or The Clash or SFA to be put on while at the same time explaining to me that the person on the radio is this chap Drake or even that The Weekend is a person.

IUFG
03-13-2017, 02:46 PM

Take time to embrace all the types of music in the World, sc. They all involve creative and often complex processes that move our souls and enhance our lives.

Apart from the really shḯt stuff, of course.

Sir C
03-13-2017, 02:46 PM
Irrespective of new talent kids will always have the old classics to listen to.

My kids will regularly ask for The Jam or The Clash or SFA to be put on while at the same time explaining to me that the person on the radio is this chap Drake or even that The Weekend is a person.

This if something a bit special though :hehe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_1Hqr8Scq0

Sir C
03-13-2017, 02:48 PM
Take time to embrace all the types of music in the World, sc. They all involve creative and often complex processes that move our souls and enhance our lives.

Apart from the really shḯt stuff, of course.

I am extremely open-minded and happily listen to both types of music, rock and roll.

(With thanks to Jake and Elwood there.)

SWv2
03-13-2017, 02:49 PM

Oh sweet baby Jesus and all the saints. :hehe:

Sir C
03-13-2017, 02:51 PM
Oh sweet baby Jesus and all the saints. :hehe:

Never have I seen a group of lads so depserately in need of a punch to the head.

Learn 'em a bit of respect for common decency.

SWv2
03-13-2017, 02:53 PM
Never have I seen a group of lads so depserately in need of a punch to the head.

Learn 'em a bit of respect for common decency.

Grime, the language of the streets I believe.

No idea how it reached fúcking Sligo mind you.

IUFG
03-13-2017, 02:57 PM

My. Word.

Well done for trying, I suppose.

Sir C
03-13-2017, 02:59 PM
My. Word.

Well done for trying, I suppose.

That's what I mean though. Back in the day those lads would have been tucked away trying to teach themselves to become Jimmy Page. Now they're just acting like nobs, and they seem well pleased with the effect.

Where will the next Jimmy Page come from?

Pat Vegas
03-13-2017, 02:59 PM

Seems a nice enough chap.

Though I saw him doing a rap with an acoustic guitar and started to cringe.

he's like a bloke version of Adele imo but not exactly the same.
a bloke adele for women.

Sir C
03-13-2017, 03:00 PM
Seems a nice enough chap.

Though I saw him doing a rap with an acoustic guitar and started to cringe.

he's like a bloke version of Adele imo but not exactly the same.
a bloke adele for women.

He's like Ian Harvey's better-looking brother.

Pat Vegas
03-13-2017, 03:01 PM
That's what I mean though. Back in the day those lads would have been tucked away trying to teach themselves to become Jimmy Page. Now they're just acting like nobs, and they seem well pleased with the effect.

:wave: I'm just waiting for my moment.

There is a silly video on youtube where Jack White and the Edge sit there watching him explain and play his classics and then they join in :-(
would be alright if the Edge wasn't there.

IUFG
03-13-2017, 03:01 PM
there is a ****ing Apple laptop the geezer on the left is 'playing' (Ableton Live, no doubt) via a midi controller keyboard.

That and a number of synthesizers behind the singer. Some have knobs as well as buttons...

Pat Vegas
03-13-2017, 03:02 PM
there is a ****ing Apple laptop the geezer on the left is 'playing' (Ableton Live, no doubt) via a midi controller keyboard.

That and a number of synthesizers behind the singer. Some have knobs as well as buttons...

I'll think you'll find it's called a macbook :thumbup:
:jorge:

Sir C
03-13-2017, 03:03 PM

What a ****.

Him, not you.

Billy Goat Sverige
03-13-2017, 03:04 PM

Hahahaha. What the ****!

SWv2
03-13-2017, 03:09 PM
What a ****.

Him, not you.

Which bit do you specifically disagree with?

Them not playing instruments in the conventional manner or them using background recordings or …… ?

I have seen many an electronic act which has been absolutely immense in a live environment but I do concur there are times when you wonder what exactly they are doing behind their equipment.

Sir C
03-13-2017, 03:11 PM

Them not playing instruments in the conventional manner or them using background recordings or …… ?

I have seen many an electronic act which has been absolutely immense in a live environment but I do concur there are times when you wonder what exactly they are doing behind their equipment.

Music is made with musical instruments of many varieties.

Computers and record players are not musical instruments.

That is all.

The electronic 'acts' you saw were utter shíte and an affront to the good Lord and his appointed representative on earth, Papa Francesco.

IUFG
03-13-2017, 03:13 PM

I've seen Orbital do an entire gig from a handful of ipads on a table. Looked weird tbh. Virtually tweaking the resonance knob on a tablet screen cannot be as fulfilling as getting your hands on Roland TB-303, shirley?

Much prefer them 'producing live' via their sequenced, analogues.

Billy Goat Sverige
03-13-2017, 03:17 PM

That is all.

The electronic 'acts' you saw were utter shíte and an affront to the good Lord and his appointed representative on earth, Papa Francesco.

You get acts who make their music electronically and then instruments are incorporated (by incorporated i mean play the guitar part that was created on a computer etc...) in live gigs. What's your view on that?

Pat Vegas
03-13-2017, 03:20 PM
You get acts who make their music electronically and then instruments are incorporated (by incorporated i mean play the guitar part that was created on a computer etc...) in live gigs. What's your view on that?

Ed Sheeran uses a Looper pedal a lot. I quite like this as it's not an easy thing to do. I have one it's good for practice.

SWv2
03-13-2017, 03:21 PM
I've seen Orbital do an entire gig from a handful of ipads on a table. Looked weird tbh. Virtually tweaking the resonance knob on a tablet screen cannot be as fulfilling as getting your hands on Roland TB-303, shirley?

Much prefer them 'producing live' via their sequenced, analogues.

Indeed, I saw Richie Hawtin play a full 5 hours in The End from a laptop, not a vinyl record in sight. Was maybe 15 years ago now so he was quite ahead of others in that respect.

When I saw The Orb in December Fehlmann just stood the entire time behind a Mac, **** only knows what **** he was doing all the same.

Sir C
03-13-2017, 03:22 PM

My view is that music is made my musical instruments. 'Music' made electronically is an offence to nature, like leprosy or hairs on a minge.

IUFG
03-13-2017, 03:22 PM

Shirley, a musical instrument is any object that can be used make a musical sound?

Including electronic circuitry.

redgunamo
03-13-2017, 03:23 PM

It was never about making music though; it was always about making money. Good music was a coincidence, a means to an end.

Sir C
03-13-2017, 03:25 PM
Shirley, a musical instrument is any object that can be used make a musical sound?

Well, I suppose a Hammond B3 is a musical instrument which features elctronic circuitry. Playing this instrument requires a skilled pianist.

A computer is not a musical instrument because playing it requires no skills other than being the sort of **** who wants to get pseudo-musical noises out of a fúcking computer.

redgunamo
03-13-2017, 03:25 PM

And your mum, of course.

I agree with you though. Pure affectation, uppishness.

Billy Goat Sverige
03-13-2017, 03:26 PM
Ed Sheeran uses a Looper pedal a lot. I quite like this as it's not an easy thing to do. I have one it's good for practice.

Johnny Marr used similar practices when he came up with his riffs.

Pat Vegas
03-13-2017, 03:28 PM
Johnny Marr used similar practices when he came up with his riffs.

I haven't used it much as it's a bit tricky, you need to start it and cut it off at the right point. otherwise you end up with gaps and it doesn't work properly.

Great for improvising, you can play blues for hours that way.

SWv2
03-13-2017, 03:45 PM
I haven't used it much as it's a bit tricky, you need to start it and cut it off at the right point. otherwise you end up with gaps and it doesn't work properly.

Great for improvising, you can play blues for hours that way.

Sounds like a right fúcking laugh.

Pat Vegas
03-13-2017, 03:48 PM
Sounds like a right fúcking laugh.

:hehe: I'll do it for 2 mins before going back to the usual 5 things I play.

Ash
03-13-2017, 04:19 PM

They might as well be making sandwiches.

Nothing wrong with electronic music, but pretending it is live is a fraud. If people have a great night, it's because they've come out to have a great night and are probably off their tits on something and willing to suspend cynicism.

SWv2
03-13-2017, 04:21 PM
They might as well be making sandwiches.

Nothing wrong with electronic music, but pretending it is live is a fraud. If people have a great night, it's because they've come out to have a great night and are probably off their tits on something and willing to suspend cynicism.

How dare you. I suggest you offer an apology with immediate effect.

Ash
03-13-2017, 04:36 PM
How dare you. I suggest you offer an apology with immediate effect.

:hehe: If at least drink had not been taken I would be somewhat surprised.