PDA

View Full Version : How many other teams have played at Highbury. I was just reading

Pat Vegas
03-10-2017, 10:25 AM
QPR played Partizan Belgrade there in 80s as Loftus Road had a plastic pitch.

any others?

redgunamo
03-10-2017, 10:31 AM
QPR played Partizan Belgrade there in 80s as Loftus Road had a plastic pitch.

any others?

Didn't England play there once, against Italy? One of our own players got a hatful and half our squad played.

Ash
03-10-2017, 10:33 AM
Didn't England play there once, against Italy? One of our own players got a hatful and half our squad played.

Pwopah nawty that got. Another fight was Henry Cooper v Ali.

Mo Britain less Europe
03-10-2017, 10:34 AM
Yes, Ted Drake scored a hatful and most of the team was actually Arsenal.

Highbury was used as a neutral venue occasionally for FA Cup semis.

Luis Anaconda
03-10-2017, 10:36 AM

The Battle of Highbury - 1934. Italy were World Champions, but it didn't count as we didn't take part, so by winning 3-2, England won the World Cup sort of. Seven Arsenal players played but only Drake scored - Brook of Man City got the other two

Sir C
03-10-2017, 10:39 AM
The Battle of Highbury - 1934. Italy were World Champions, but it didn't count as we didn't take part, so by winning 3-2, England won the World Cup sort of. Seven Arsenal players played but only Drake scored - Brook of Man City got the other two

You didn't have to look that up, did you? :-(

Pat Vegas
03-10-2017, 10:39 AM

That's how it should be. Like a boxing title.

Luis Anaconda
03-10-2017, 10:57 AM
You didn't have to look that up, did you? :-(

I know Phil Soar and Martin Tyler's history of Arsenal back to front. I've been bought it for Christmas enough times :)

Luis Anaconda
03-10-2017, 10:57 AM
That's how it should be. Like a boxing title.

Ah - but then Scotland would have won it in 67. Not good

Burney
03-10-2017, 11:02 AM
I know Phil Soar and Martin Tyler's history of Arsenal back to front. I've been bought it for Christmas enough times :)

There really is no excuse for that sort of thing, la. :-( People will be calling you 'Knowledge' if you're not careful.