PDA

View Full Version : I'm so surprised about Barcelona going through.

Sir C
03-09-2017, 11:06 AM
Not. Clearly UEFA weren't going to allow us and PSG to knock out their favourite drugged up teams.

We never stood a hope. The whole game is corrupt.

Pat Vegas
03-09-2017, 11:10 AM
Not. Clearly UEFA weren't going to allow us and PSG to knock out their favourite drugged up teams.

Napoli were doing alright too. any thing suspicious happened in that one?

Luis Anaconda
03-09-2017, 11:11 AM
Napoli were doing alright too. any thing suspicious happened in that one?
Ronaldo missed an open goal

Pat Vegas
03-09-2017, 11:12 AM
Ronaldo missed an open goal

:sherlock: to make it believable.

Luis Anaconda
03-09-2017, 11:13 AM

:banghead: Every year Uefa fix it so it is a Real Madrid Barcelona final I read somewhere today. A theory only mildly undermined by the complete lack of Real Madrid Barcelona finals

Sir C
03-09-2017, 11:16 AM
:banghead: Every year Uefa fix it so it is a Real Madrid Barcelona final I read somewhere today. A theory only mildly undermined by the complete lack of Real Madrid Barcelona finals

It's the old Germany/Spain fascist alliance. FACT.

SWv2
03-09-2017, 11:19 AM

If any side was drugged last night it was Paris.

Silly. I would generally expect better from you.

Sir C
03-09-2017, 11:23 AM
If any side was drugged last night it was Paris.

Silly. I would generally expect better from you.

I didn't see it, I was out on the piss. I'm still in bed, groaning.

Luis Anaconda
03-09-2017, 11:23 AM
It's the old Germany/Spain fascist alliance. FACT.

Number of German/Spanish finals in past 14 years? Zero (though there have been 2 all-Spanish and 1 all-German ones)

Both 2001 and 2002 were German/Spanish finals though (Bayern/Valencia, Real/Leverkusen). There followed 6 finals where only one team from either country featured - Barcelona in 2006 :(

SWv2
03-09-2017, 11:28 AM
I didn't see it, I was out on the piss. I'm still in bed, groaning.

It was quite staggering really, the collapse of PSG, the way in which Steve McManaman kept simply referring to them as Paris.

Must say I thought they were out when Cavani scored.

Should also point out that I spent as much time watching the Dortmund game. :hide:

Sir C
03-09-2017, 11:30 AM
Number of German/Spanish finals in past 14 years? Zero (though there have been 2 all-Spanish and 1 all-German ones)

Both 2001 and 2002 were German/Spanish finals though (Bayern/Valencia, Real/Leverkusen). There followed 6 finals where only one team from either country featured - Barcelona in 2006 :(

Exactly. The spirit of Franco and Hitler lives on through the Champions League :nod:

My head hurts.

Burney
03-09-2017, 11:31 AM

How many 'extraordinary' games involving Barcelona can there be where they magically emerge victorious before people smell a rat?

Pat Vegas
03-09-2017, 11:32 AM
How many 'extraordinary' games involving Barcelona can there be where they magically emerge victorious before people smell a rat?

Maybe they just are really good.

Burney
03-09-2017, 11:38 AM

Bóllocks. 'Good' is one thing. Repeatedly lucky is another.

World's End Stella
03-09-2017, 11:40 AM

Or, if you believe Neg, it's the drugs.

When they play well, it's because of the drugs. When they play badly, it's because they're coming down off the drugs.

Either way, the team with arguably the most talented players of any club in the world and also arguably the greatest player that has ever played the game, only win things because of the drugs.

No wonder Belgium is so f*cked.

SWv2
03-09-2017, 11:42 AM

Remind me of the previous incidents?

Sir C

Don't forget the drugs. They give them an edge and the bent referees do the rest.

Pat Vegas

When they play well, it's because of the drugs. When they play badly, it's because they're coming down off the drugs.

Either way, the team with arguably the most talented players of any club in the world and also arguably the greatest player that has ever played the game, only win things because of the drugs.

but I do wonder if say Messi suddenly joined Arsenal he'd start off amazing and slowly become ****.

Burney
03-09-2017, 11:44 AM

Right. So you'll happily believe the top performers in other sports are drugged to the eyeballs, but reject the possibility in the case of football?
You're aware how silly that is, right? Particularly given the fact that Spain has been at the heart of much of the most suspicious activity in this area, with blood samples mysteriously disappearing, etc, etc, etc.

SWv2
03-09-2017, 11:49 AM

I like Neg, he’s a very decent chap, and I say that in full acknowledgement of the fact that I have stood outside a pub with him while he has drink half pints!

However on the whole drugs thing he is now obsessed to the point of insanity, bit like you and Ramsey. Sorry old boy.

He has spent too much time within a cycling environment where every one of them is drugged up. Yes there probably is drugs in football, be naïve to expect not, but to simply dismiss the efforts of certain teams on an almost weekly basis at this stage on the basis of drugs and blood transfusions presumably before and then immediately after games is a nonsense.

Spurs, drugs. Liverpool, drugs. Bayern, drugs. Barcelona, drugs.

Perhaps we should drug.

I assume Brian Talbot drugged back in the day given the number of games he played and the amount of running around he did. See, even then we were visionary.

Sir C
03-09-2017, 11:51 AM
I like Neg, he’s a very decent chap, and I say that in full acknowledgement of the fact that I have stood outside a pub with him while he has drink half pints!

However on the whole drugs thing he is now obsessed to the point of insanity, bit like you and Ramsey. Sorry old boy.

He has spent too much time within a cycling environment where every one of them is drugged up. Yes there probably is drugs in football, be naïve to expect not, but to simply dismiss the efforts of certain teams on an almost weekly basis at this stage on the basis of drugs and blood transfusions presumably before and then immediately after games is a nonsense.

Perhaps we should drug.

I assume Brian Talbot drugged back in the day given the number of games he played and the amount of running around he did. See, even then we were visionary.

Juventus as well, I believe.

Burney
03-09-2017, 11:51 AM
but I do wonder if say Messi suddenly joined Arsenal he'd start off amazing and slowly become ****.

Yup. Messi is a great player who uses drugs to be even better. It's not an either/or.

Sir C
03-09-2017, 11:52 AM
Yup. Messi is a great player who uses drugs to be even better. It's not an either/or.

I'm going to hurl.

SWv2
03-09-2017, 11:53 AM
Juventus as well, I believe.

To be fair now I have yet to see such an accusation but noted. Thank you.

SWv2
03-09-2017, 11:56 AM
I'm going to hurl.

That would be the Limerick in you. Your mother would be proud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro4UsOs2lUM

Burney
03-09-2017, 11:57 AM

Perhaps we should drug.

Anyone who doesn't believe drugs are in regular and widespread use across top class sports is simply either being wilfully ignorant or is just thick, I'm afraid. :shrug:

Luis Anaconda
03-09-2017, 11:57 AM
I'm going to hurl.

What on earth where you drinking? Must admit I was in a similar state yesterday. Not so much the consoling whiskies at the end of the night more the sleep disturbed by my phone deciding to play the Russian national anthem on a loop for about three hours and me not have the ability to move an turn it off

Burney
03-09-2017, 11:58 AM
I'm going to hurl.

Poof. Where were you last night, anyway?

Luis Anaconda
03-09-2017, 11:59 AM

:hehe: Yes, I do like his arguments on this matter. Like the year, two German clubs got to the final beating the Spanish giants in the semis. The Spaniards were off drugs that year and the Germans perfected them

World's End Stella
03-09-2017, 12:00 PM
Right. So you'll happily believe the top performers in other sports are drugged to the eyeballs, but reject the possibility in the case of football?
You're aware how silly that is, right? Particularly given the fact that Spain has been at the heart of much of the most suspicious activity in this area, with blood samples mysteriously disappearing, etc, etc, etc.

Nowhere in there did I say that there wasn't drug use in football.

SWv2
03-09-2017, 12:01 PM
Anyone who doesn't believe drugs are in regular and widespread use across top class sports is simply either being wilfully ignorant or is just thick, I'm afraid. :shrug:

I am not denying it, as you will see in my post which you replied to, and I quote - "Yes there probably is drugs in football, be naïve to expect not".

My point is that every win, every performance, drugs. Especially teams that beat us. Drugs.

It is a bit silly.

Sir C
03-09-2017, 12:02 PM
Poof. Where were you last night, anyway?

Bexley. The Holiday Inn. Me and a jockanese mental case.

Too much scotch :-(

SWv2
03-09-2017, 12:02 PM
What on earth where you drinking? Must admit I was in a similar state yesterday. Not so much the consoling whiskies at the end of the night more the sleep disturbed by my phone deciding to play the Russian national anthem on a loop for about three hours and me not have the ability to move an turn it off

Are you 100% sure you did not take LSD in any form?

Sir C
03-09-2017, 12:03 PM

3 pints of lager
4 bottles of red between two
Scotch scotch scotch oh god

Sir C
03-09-2017, 12:04 PM
To be fair now I have yet to see such an accusation but noted. Thank you.

I just made it up, to be fair.

SWv2
03-09-2017, 12:04 PM
3 pints of lager

Experience in this area suggests you had a "bad pint".

Burney
03-09-2017, 12:05 PM
Nowhere in there did I say that there wasn't drug use in football.

You derided Neg for his conviction that Barcelona in particular have been at the forefront of EPO use in football and that that has contributed to their dominance.
That conviction seems pretty reasonable to me. Indeed, I would regard it as fairly naive to think otherwise.

Burney
03-09-2017, 12:07 PM
Bexley. The Holiday Inn. Me and a jockanese mental case.

Too much scotch :-(

The Bexley Holiday Inn? Hardly one of your more glamorous locations.

SWv2
03-09-2017, 12:07 PM
I just made it up, to be fair.

You will have to withdraw and redact your comments come August when Signor Allegri is stood in the Emirates technical area leading us to a new, glorious future.

Sir C
03-09-2017, 12:08 PM
The Bexley Holiday Inn? Hardly one of your more glamorous locations.

It was ****ing hideous.

Burney
03-09-2017, 12:09 PM
3 pints of lager

I've decided that if I never drink Scotch again, I wouldn't really mind.

I'm 43 years old and I don't like the stuff. I'm not going to acquire the taste now, am I?

There. I've said it.

Burney
03-09-2017, 12:13 PM
I am not denying it, as you will see in my post which you replied to, and I quote - "Yes there probably is drugs in football, be naïve to expect not".

My point is that every win, every performance, drugs. Especially teams that beat us. Drugs.

It is a bit silly.

I suspect that the differences now are in the different extent of clubs' usage. Those with organised, club-wide programmes are probably doing best while those who have certain players at it and others not because it is not mandated by the coaching staff do less well.

I would guess we are in the latter category.

Sir C
03-09-2017, 12:19 PM

I'm 43 years old and I don't like the stuff. I'm not going to acquire the taste now, am I?

There. I've said it.

What of the pre-prandial stengah, for God's sake?

Luis Anaconda
03-09-2017, 12:31 PM
3 pints of lager
Good effort - you need a stiff drink now though. I would suggest a gin and tonic

Burney
03-09-2017, 12:32 PM
What of the pre-prandial stengah, for God's sake?

Gin. Gin is a fine and benign spirit. Scotch, on the other hand, makes one angry, morose and violent - which explains a lot about scotchmen.

World's End Stella
03-09-2017, 12:50 PM
You derided Neg for his conviction that Barcelona in particular have been at the forefront of EPO use in football and that that has contributed to their dominance.
That conviction seems pretty reasonable to me. Indeed, I would regard it as fairly naive to think otherwise.

I did nothing of the kind, I suggest you read it again.

I derided him for explaining every performance based on drug use. They may well be doping, but sometimes really good players who are doping play well just because they are very good players. Sometimes doped players play badly anyway, because they are human beings. The idea that every Barca player is doping to the extent that the only variable that determines the quality of their performance is how well they are doping is absurd. It's also absurd that to think that in a game like football that requires so much skill, the only thing you would consider when evaluating a performance is doping.

Which is exactly what he does, over and over again. Football has a drug problem, but football is not cycling, Burney. Not even close.

Luis Anaconda
03-09-2017, 12:53 PM
Which is exactly what he does, over and over again. Football has a drug problem, but football is not cycling, Burney. Not even close.

Oh, I dunno about that. The wheels have definitely come off our season. All downhill from here. Seem to be stuck in the same gear

Burney
03-09-2017, 12:55 PM
I did nothing of the kind, I suggest you read it again.

I derided him for explaining every performance based on drug use. They may well be doping, but sometimes really good players who are doping play well just because they are very good players. Sometimes doped players play badly anyway, because they are human beings. The idea that every Barca player is doping to the extent that the only variable that determines the quality of their performance is how well they are doping is absurd. It's also absurd that to think that in a game like football that requires so much skill, the only thing you would consider when evaluating a performance is doping.

If it didn't make a crucial difference, they wouldn't do it. In that sense, it's no different to drug use in any other sport.
Is it the only variable? Of course not. But neither is it in any other sport. You and I could take as much EPO as we liked and we still wouldn't win the Tour de France because we're no fûcking good at cycling. The combination of pre-existing excellence AND a comprehensive and efficient doping programme is an unbeatable one. That is what Barcelona have had for years now.

redgunamo
03-09-2017, 01:39 PM

There. I've said it.

I'm with you there actually. I really only take the odd nip now and then to keep my old man company.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
03-09-2017, 02:27 PM

Anything so long as the Ingerlish team suffers ;-)