PDA

View Full Version : You win and lose games in Midfield - Exhibit A

Tony C
03-06-2017, 12:01 PM
:shrug:

In our case we don't have won!!!!

It's like we've reverted back to a few years ago where running straight at our back 4 without any opposition.

Without any structure in there we have no chance.

redgunamo
03-06-2017, 12:06 PM

It's like we've reverted back to a few years ago where running straight at our back 4 without any opposition.

Without any structure in there we have no chance.

What is the point of Cech if he can't organise our defenders better than this :shrug:

Tony C
03-06-2017, 12:12 PM
I see stuff like this and I wonder if Mertersacker was really that bad.

They've run through us and into our back 4...or back 3 because one of the full backs has gone walkies so Mustafi does the Mertersacker play by pushing up to intercept and they just bypass him and it's game over - Man out wide and a man clean through waiting for a simple cross to tap in.

Bellerin-Mustafi-Kos-Monreal are fine defenders for me...fine. the best but they have been given ZERO chance.

SWv2
03-06-2017, 12:20 PM
I see stuff like this and I wonder if Mertersacker was really that bad.

They've run through us and into our back 4...or back 3 because one of the full backs has gone walkies so Mustafi does the Mertersacker play by pushing up to intercept and they just bypass him and it's game over - Man out wide and a man clean through waiting for a simple cross to tap in.

Bellerin-Mustafi-Kos-Monreal are fine defenders for me...fine. the best but they have been given ZERO chance.

It is actually Koscielny here who is out of position and is one of the retreating 4 along with Xhaka/Coquelin and Iwobi.

If this still is for the first goal he was the one out of positon having committed to the header and failed to win it, Liverpool then moved the ball at speed and scored.

LK’s form of late has been below his normal standards I have to say, perhaps dragged down a little by the general malaise of others, his distribution in particular I have noticed to be off key.

If you look at the still and see the advancing position of Mustiafi and the retreating position of Coquelin, then factor in that both are in motion which reduces the gap from where it had been only seconds before, then therein lies a fundamental issue when your deepest midfield player is so far from his defence from what was an opposition goal kick. Even Xhaka and Iwobi are closer if not level with him.

IUFG
03-06-2017, 12:23 PM

Nah, we've never done that sort of thing before...

redgunamo
03-06-2017, 12:27 PM
It is actually Koscielny here who is out of position and is one of the retreating 4 along with Xhaka/Coquelin and Iwobi.

If this still is for the first goal he was the one out of positon having committed to the header and failed to win it, Liverpool then moved the ball at speed and scored.

LK’s form of late has been below his normal standards I have to say, perhaps dragged down a little by the general malaise of others, his distribution in particular I have noticed to be off key.

If you look at the still and see the advancing position of Mustiafi and the retreating position of Coquelin, then factor in that both are in motion which reduces the gap from where it had been only seconds before, then therein lies a fundamental issue when your deepest midfield player is so far from his defence from what was an opposition goal kick. Even Xhaka and Iwobi are closer if not level with him.

So, you're saying, basically, sign more and better strikers?

SWv2
03-06-2017, 12:30 PM
So, you're saying, basically, sign more and better strikers?

In a nutshell.

And those you have who are better than most others don't leave on the bench because you want to go more direct.