PDA

View Full Version : I couldn't help noticing that fig rolls were on offer at 45p in Sainsburys yesterday

7sisters
02-22-2017, 12:06 PM
Own brand of course but the Mcvities were around three times the price.
Not usually given to house brands but I tossed them in the trolley and found them to be pretty acceptable fayre with this mornings brew.
It's a fig roll of course, no 5 series v ford focus style parallels but all the same, it's pretty difficult to see how Mcvities can rinse the consumer in such an inflated way.

redgunamo
02-22-2017, 12:21 PM
I love those ******* things. My little daughter makes them at school almost every week, it seems like. I can devour a whole kilo of them in a sitting, with a Pilsner or two :-\

Not usually given to house brands but I tossed them in the trolley and found them to be pretty acceptable fayre with this mornings brew.
It's a fig roll of course, no 5 series v ford focus style parallels but all the same, it's pretty difficult to see how Mcvities can rinse the consumer in such an inflated way.

Burney
02-22-2017, 12:26 PM
I love those ******* things. My little daughter makes them at school almost every week, it seems like. I can devour a whole kilo of them in a sitting, with a Pilsner or two :-\

I didn't realise anyone had bought or eaten a fig roll since Suez, to be honest. They just seem like an austerity biscuit.

redgunamo
02-22-2017, 12:30 PM
I didn't realise anyone had bought or eaten a fig roll since Suez, to be honest. They just seem like an austerity biscuit.

Oh, no. Every baker around here sells them, in various guises. Delish.

Sir C
02-22-2017, 12:44 PM

Any water filter news there? I need a new water filter jug and I'd like to get away from Brita. There must be an option in the market, surely?

Pokster
02-22-2017, 12:46 PM
Any water filter news there? I need a new water filter jug and I'd like to get away from Brita. There must be an option in the market, surely?

Move up North and have soft water so no need for filters.... lake district here you come

Sir C
02-22-2017, 12:48 PM
Move up North and have soft water so no need for filters.... lake district here you come

I was looking at some house prices up there.

Fúck. Me. It'd be cheaper to move to Mayfair.

Burney
02-22-2017, 12:52 PM

I have a built-in water softening system. For some reason, this involves buying vast quantities of salt every few months and tipping it by the bag into the mysterious machine.

It seems a lot of trouble for having drinkable tapwater, but there you are. The wife seems to like it. :shrug:

IUFG
02-22-2017, 12:56 PM
you shouldn't really drink the softened stuff, b

Sir C
02-22-2017, 12:56 PM
I have a built-in water softening system. For some reason, this involves buying vast quantities of salt every few months and tipping it by the bag into the mysterious machine.

It seems a lot of trouble for having drinkable tapwater, but there you are. The wife seems to like it. :shrug:

Oh, I wouldn't drink water from a tap, I'm afraid. That's what the bottled stuff is for.

It's just for cooking, you know.

Burney
02-22-2017, 01:02 PM
you shouldn't really drink the softened stuff, b

No, it has a special tap for precisely that purpose. It's pretty good, to be fair.

Burney
02-22-2017, 01:03 PM
Oh, I wouldn't drink water from a tap, I'm afraid. That's what the bottled stuff is for.

It's just for cooking, you know.

Oh, we decant it into a nice bottle and put it in the fridge first. We're not animals.

IUFG
02-22-2017, 01:04 PM
No, it has a special tap for precisely that purpose. It's pretty good, to be fair.

as you were, then

SWv2
02-22-2017, 01:50 PM

Salt is bad for you all the same, as we repeatedly seem to be told.

Burney
02-22-2017, 02:06 PM
as you were, then

I think the stuff that comes out of the blue tap has got the salt in and we just use that for washing, etc. The stuff that comes out of the green tap is all filtered and whatnot.