PDA

View Full Version : Who ate all the pies?

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
02-21-2017, 09:42 AM
YOU FAT BÁSTARD ETC :hehe:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/21/sutton-united-wayne-shaw-fa-betting-rules

World's End Stella
02-21-2017, 09:44 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/21/sutton-united-wayne-shaw-fa-betting-rules

How do you feel about Cornish pasties, 71?

Bit sh1t, aren't they? :rubchin:

Pat Vegas
02-21-2017, 09:45 AM

I would void all bets as you can't actually see it's a pie.

Pat Vegas
02-21-2017, 09:46 AM

:replyjack: They are good but only if you get a proper one.
These ones sold in other places are awful. Like you may find in Oxford street or train stations.

Same goes for Pork Pies and Scotch Eggs. The idea is great for both but they are not very nice.

02-21-2017, 09:47 AM

Depends which one you purchase, Stell. The local company, Barnecutts, make excellent pasties. Ginsters, otoh, are mass-produced crap.

02-21-2017, 09:48 AM
I would void all bets as you can't actually see it's a pie.
:nod: he should provide stool samples to verify.

World's End Stella
02-21-2017, 09:56 AM
Depends which one you purchase, Stell. The local company, Barnecutts, make excellent pasties. Ginsters, otoh, are mass-produced crap.

My only exposure here in God's country (Surrey) is the West Cornwall Pasty Company chain. Hard, borderline impenetrable pastry with excruciatingly hot filling that tastes of very little.

Awful.

Luis Anaconda
02-21-2017, 09:58 AM
My only exposure here in God's country (Surrey) is the West Cornwall Pasty Company chain. Hard, borderline impenetrable pastry with excruciatingly hot filling that tastes of very little.

Awful.
Only an atheist would believe Surrey to be God's Country

02-21-2017, 09:59 AM

Awful.

West Cornwall scum. South East Cornwall ftw.

Sir C
02-21-2017, 09:59 AM

Awful.

Apparently the traditional recipe is very specific. Mince, potato, swede, onion, salt, pepper. Nothing else. Not w ee drop of stock to moisten the beast. Not a sprinkle of parsley for colour, if nothing else. A touch of thyme? No. The essential thing is that it is as grey and bland as possible.

Pat Vegas
02-21-2017, 10:00 AM
Apparently the traditional recipe is very specific. Mince, potato, swede, onion, salt, pepper. Nothing else. Not w ee drop of stock to moisten the beast. Not a sprinkle of parsley for colour, if nothing else. A touch of thyme? No. The essential thing is that it is as grey and bland as possible.

I though it has some apple in the end as a dessert, and the crust goes in the bin as it's a handle.

Sir C
02-21-2017, 10:01 AM
I though it has some apple in the end as a dessert, and the crust goes in the bin as it's a handle.

:nod: Sick yokel fúcks.

World's End Stella
02-21-2017, 10:04 AM

:nod: Precisely my experience

02-21-2017, 10:06 AM

A meal for real men, C. AW should feed his pansies proper Cornish pasties to harden 'em up imo.

Burney
02-21-2017, 10:07 AM

I once made one myself with all the traditional ingredients. Lard pastry, skirt steak, the lot. Made lovingly and, when I ate it, it just tasted like a Cornish Pasty. :-( The only saving grace is to season it properly and go particularly heavy on the pepper. Ketchup was still necessary to give the thing some flavour.

Sir C
02-21-2017, 10:09 AM
I once made one myself with all the traditional ingredients. Lard pastry, skirt steak, the lot. Made lovingly and, when I ate it, it just tasted like a Cornish Pasty. :-( The only saving grace is to season it properly and go particularly heavy on the pepper. Ketchup was still necessary to give the thing some flavour.

:nod: I can imagine.

I'm going to have a go at a pork pie this weekend. I've never done the hot lard pastry thing.

02-21-2017, 10:10 AM

Stick to your poncy crap then. My dad ate a Cornish pasty for breakfast, lunch, tea and supper and lived til he was 102 :vsign:

Burney
02-21-2017, 10:13 AM
:nod: I can imagine.

I'm going to have a go at a pork pie this weekend. I've never done the hot lard pastry thing.

Now a pork pie is a different beast altogether. Again, not much to it in terms of ingredients, but infinitely better than a Cornish Pasty. English mustard is a necessity with a pork pie, though, imvho.

It speaks volumes that apparently the South Americans evolved the empanada from Cornish miners who went over there, but with a little imagination and some flexibility on flavouring, they managed to turn it from a stodgy lump into a delicious and delicate treat.

Sir C
02-21-2017, 10:13 AM
A meal for real men, C. AW should feed his pansies proper Cornish pasties to harden 'em up imo.

I agree that they appear to need something; I'm just not convinced the The World's Blandest Food Product is the thing.

Burney
02-21-2017, 10:14 AM
Stick to your poncy crap then. My dad ate a Cornish pasty for breakfast, lunch, tea and supper and lived til he was 102 :vsign:

If I had to eat one every day, I'd pray for an early grave :-(