PDA

View Full Version : I reckon I've only ever been angered by 4 football matches.

Sir C
02-16-2017, 09:34 AM
One I played in, for a team who thought they would lose and duly rolled over and accepted their hammering.

One was the Mike Riley show at Old Trafford.

Another was losing at home to Chelsea in '05, I believe. When Joe Cole scored their second, that game. On that evening we were clearly beaten before the first whistle. We lay down and let them have their way with us.

Last night goes on the list, and possibly near the top of it. I can't remember seeing a side accept their fate with quite such a degree of passivity. It was shameful, really.

Ospina, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Koscielny and Mustafi were prepared to work up a sweat; the rest of them, not at all. Sanchez' arm-waving and sulking is all about Sanchez, nothing to do with the team. Iwobi sort of hung out with Gibbs in an approximate left back position as if to give him some support, but when the ball went there, did nothing at all to interfere with Robben and Lahm. Xhaka and Coquelin seemed entirely uninterested in attempting to make a tackle. Ozil made Tony Cascarino appear perceptive.

By the time I am appalled by a lack of pashun, something is very, very wrong.

Burney
02-16-2017, 09:37 AM
One I played in, for a team who thought they would lose and duly rolled over and accepted their hammering.

Another was losing at home to Chelsea in '05, I believe. When Joe Cole scored their second, that game. On that evening we were clearly beaten before the first whistle. We lay down and let them have their way with us.

Last night goes on the list, and possibly near the top of it. I can't remember seeing a side accept their fate with quite such a degree of passivity. It was shameful, really.

Ospina, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Koscielny and Mustafi were prepared to work up a sweat; the rest of them, not at all. Sanchez' arm-waving and sulking is all about Sanchez, nothing to do with the team. Iwobi sort of hung out with Gibbs in an approximate left back position as if to give him some support, but when the ball went there, did nothing at all to interfere with Robben and Lahm. Xhaka and Coquelin seemed entirely uninterested in attempting to make a tackle. Ozil made Tony Cascarino appear perceptive.

Has he 'lost the dressing room' and similar clichés?

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
02-16-2017, 09:39 AM

of pants pissing this morning over the fact our team were beaten by one of Europe's top sides. Perhaps you would prefer the managerial acumen of Mr Sam Allardyce and perennial mid table finishes?

Sir C
02-16-2017, 09:40 AM
Has he 'lost the dressing room' and similar clichés?

Well... God forgive me, but you really ahve to wonder :-(

Sir C
02-16-2017, 09:40 AM
of pants pissing this morning over the fact our team were beaten by one of Europe's top sides. Perhaps you would prefer the managerial acumen of Mr Sam Allardyce and perennial mid table finishes?

U no read to good do u?

02-16-2017, 09:44 AM
U no read to good do u?
Oh calm down you miserable old cvnt. That was a perfectly good parody of you at your most pompous when anyone else gets pissed off with a hammering.

What next c - Wenger out?

Sir C
02-16-2017, 09:48 AM
Oh calm down you miserable old cvnt. That was a perfectly good parody of you at your most pompous when anyone else gets pissed off with a hammering.

What next c - Wenger out?

Third in the league, still in the FA cup, it's hardly a crisis. But that display was really disturbing; something isn't right there.

Wenger knows. He knows what's wrong and he knows whether he can fix it. He'll decide.

Peter
02-16-2017, 09:50 AM

Last night was just more of the same. Seen it a hundred times and it doesn't make me angry anymore. The 4-0 at an ordinary AC Milan side a few years back was much, much worse. The players genuinely didn't give a **** that night.

Peter
02-16-2017, 09:52 AM
Third in the league, still in the FA cup, it's hardly a crisis. But that display was really disturbing; something isn't right there.

Wenger knows. He knows what's wrong and he knows whether he can fix it. He'll decide.

Maybe we need a crisis. Would liven things up.

Sir C
02-16-2017, 09:52 AM
Maybe we need a crisis. Would liven things up.

Be careful what you wish for :leicester:

Burney
02-16-2017, 09:54 AM
Last night was just more of the same. Seen it a hundred times and it doesn't make me angry anymore. The 4-0 at an ordinary AC Milan side a few years back was much, much worse. The players genuinely didn't give a **** that night.

I think I was angriest the night of the UEFA Cup final when we contrived to lose to Galatasaray, largely by virtue of thinking that merely by turning up and hanging around for 90 minutes, we'd be awarded the trophy. That was a display of the highest cüntery.

Peter
02-16-2017, 09:54 AM
Be careful what you wish for :leicester:

They won the league. And have gone at least as far as us in the Champions League. I could live with that crisis.

Sir C
02-16-2017, 09:55 AM
They won the league. And have gone at least as far as us in the Champions League. I could live with that crisis.

And might well go down. You think a title is worth a relegation? That's small club mentality, surely?

Peter
02-16-2017, 09:56 AM
I think I was angriest the night of the UEFA Cup final when we contrived to lose to Galatasaray, largely by virtue of thinking that merely by turning up and hanging around for 90 minutes, we'd be awarded the trophy. That was a display of the highest cüntery.

I can remember not giving a **** about that game so I didn't blame the players too much. Some of that squad need ****ing out the door and have needed it for years. I would start with Ramsey and Wilshere.

02-16-2017, 09:57 AM

Ah, the "Wenger should choose his own departure date" stance. Why exactly?

He is an employee of the club . Our toilets, as you rightly say, are state of the art and pristine but if the man charged with ensuring they remain so began failing to notice skid marks in the bowls then he would be quickly replaced.

Have you never worked in a firm where the CEO, usually a founder owner, hangs on well into his seventies and starts to hold the outfit back, usually by being incapable of adapting to the evolving market? If they don't die you have to sack them c.

Pat Vegas
02-16-2017, 09:58 AM
And might well go down. You think a title is worth a relegation? That's small club mentality, surely?

That's their level though. They've been up and down multiple times.

The league win was extremely weird. They'll have that memory for a lifetime.

Peter
02-16-2017, 09:58 AM

No, I don't think it is worth that. Would be more exciting than this though wouldn't it?

I would settle for failing in a different way. Anything, just anything that feels like a film I haven't seen before.

Sir C
02-16-2017, 09:59 AM
I can remember not giving a **** about that game so I didn't blame the players too much. Some of that squad need ****ing out the door and have needed it for years. I would start with Ramsey and Wilshere.

Hold on, you didn't like the set list at Coventry? For You, Something In The Night, Youngstown, Murder Inc, Because The Night?

World's End Stella
02-16-2017, 09:59 AM

Well, the only logical conclusion is that he either doesn't know what's wrong or he doesn't know how to fix it given that it's been happening for about 10 years in a row now.

Pat Vegas
02-16-2017, 10:00 AM

He is an employee of the club . Our toilets, as you rightly say, are state of the art and pristine but if the man charged with ensuring they remain so began failing to notice skid marks in the bowls then he would be quickly replaced.

Have you never worked in a firm where the CEO, usually a founder owner, hangs on well into his seventies and starts to hold the outfit back, usually by being incapable of adapting to the evolving market? If they don't die you have to sack them c.

Is there a way to stick Wenger upstairs somewhere. He likes all the business end of things.

Let's keep him away from the transfer kitty though.

Burney
02-16-2017, 10:00 AM

I didn't really care until it became apparent how much the players didn't give a shït, at which point I got very cross. It was a disgraceful display of misplaced and unearned arrogance.

We've always kept too many players hanging around for no good reason. Remember Jeremie Aliadiere being on our books for basically his entire career despite being a/ shït b/ made of glass and c/ playing about 3 games a season?

Sir C
02-16-2017, 10:01 AM

Yes. We have disagreed on this point for however long you've wanted him gone, 10 years or so. We're going to have to agree to disagree.

It doesn't matter, honestly. I don't have the power to sack him, you don't need to convince me :shrug:

Burney
02-16-2017, 10:01 AM
No, I don't think it is worth that. Would be more exciting than this though wouldn't it?

I would settle for failing in a different way. Anything, just anything that feels like a film I haven't seen before.

I could take that if it weren't for Tottenham being in the ascendant, which makes things much more awkward.

SWv2
02-16-2017, 10:02 AM

While running around to build up a sweat is admirable I am not sure it absolves people from utterly shameful performances.

Mustafi was terrible. Utterly fúcking terrible. While I appreciate the physical strength of professional footballers and perhaps some dark arts, his apparent lack of challenge on Lewandowski was shameful – and I say this while completely acknowledging the brilliance of what the Polish striker achieved. I am still unsure of what he was doing on the third goal. We are talking here of a 35m German international professional footballer.

Chamberlain I can kind of absolve as ultimately what transpired was not entirely his fault but one of selection, and here I admit that like many others I thought pre-game he should start in midfield. In hindsight I think we may have been better off playing a midfield player in midfield, as fúcking pyramid inverting that may sound. I liken his performance to the good old days when a keeper may get injured and we may chuckle as Niall Quinn or the likes pulled on the green. Yes you may get away with it for a game but ultimately you will be found out, especially if you play a very good team. He started okay and ran around, similar to Chelsea a few weeks ago he started okay and ran around but then as the game settles the opposition simply bypass him because he is not a midfield player and things which are coached and natural and second nature to midfield players are foreign to him. His dire circumstances exacerbated by having a midfield colleague who is a good player but is simply not good enough when faced with the very highest level.

And then the fúcking cherry on what was ultimately a cake whose main ingredient was shít we are losing badly, indeed we are being humiliated yet again, mentally shattered as Wenger himself admitted and we sound the sirens and call for backup, the cavalry as such.

And the cameras turn to Theo fúcking Walcott. And at that point Jesus did weep.

Perhaps we thought the game was over and instead we were going to challenge them to a race in a straight line.

Almost everything else you have said I agree with.

Burney
02-16-2017, 10:02 AM
Is there a way to stick Wenger upstairs somewhere. He likes all the business end of things.

No. He's a control freak. He'll be all up in the manager's grill and shït

Sir C
02-16-2017, 10:03 AM
Well, the only logical conclusion is that he either doesn't know what's wrong or he doesn't know how to fix it given that it's been happening for about 10 years in a row now.

Well, for most of thoise 10 years he kept us near the top of the league and solvent with a budget of about 40 quid, a greater achievement that doubles and unbeaten seasons :shrug:

Peter
Hold on, you didn't like the set list at Coventry? For You, Something In The Night, Youngstown, Murder Inc, Because The Night?

I hated it. He has done Because the Night every time I have seen him (seven times). Its ****. Ditto Waiting on a Sunny Day.

Something in the Night was great, Save My Love was a nice touch but three of four nice touches in a 33 song set is not good enough.

Dublin was even worse. Aside from Independence Day it was horribly disappointing. At least I was so drunk by the end that I barely noticed Bono on stage.

IUFG
It is money's horrible perversion of football that done it, b.

Third rate, second string bench warming ****s on £50k a week.

Kids made for life after two season's 'work', Ferraris for breakfast, etc.

I keep waiting for the bubble to burst but every season it just seams to get bigger and bigger.

I want my Arsenal / Football back, etc. :cry:

02-16-2017, 10:04 AM
Yes. We have disagreed on this point for however long you've wanted him gone, 10 years or so. We're going to have to agree to disagree.

It doesn't matter, honestly. I don't have the power to sack him, you don't need to convince me :shrug:

10 years? I first called for his head when he sold Anelka .

Burney
02-16-2017, 10:06 AM
It is money's horrible perversion of football that done it, b.

Third rate, second string bench warming ****s on £50k a week.

Kids made for life after two season's 'work', Ferraris for breakfast, etc.

I keep waiting for the bubble to burst but every season it just seams to get bigger and bigger.

I want my Arsenal / Football back, etc. :cry:

The paradox being, of course, that the only way you can get that football back is by walking away from it and refusing to keep funding the current model through Sky subscriptions, season tickets, merch, etc.

Burney
02-16-2017, 10:07 AM
I hated it. He has done Because the Night every time I have seen him (seven times). Its ****. Ditto Waiting on a Sunny Day.

Something in the Night was great, Save My Love was a nice touch but three of four nice touches in a 33 song set is not good enough.

Dublin was even worse. Aside from Independence Day it was horribly disappointing. At least I was so drunk by the end that I barely noticed Bono on stage.

Springsteen out?

Sir C
02-16-2017, 10:07 AM
While running around to build up a sweat is admirable I am not sure it absolves people from utterly shameful performances.

Mustafi was terrible. Utterly fúcking terrible. While I appreciate the physical strength of professional footballers and perhaps some dark arts, his apparent lack of challenge on Lewandowski was shameful – and I say this while completely acknowledging the brilliance of what the Polish striker achieved. I am still unsure of what he was doing on the third goal. We are talking here of a 35m German international professional footballer.

Chamberlain I can kind of absolve as ultimately what transpired was not entirely his fault but one of selection, and here I admit that like many others I thought pre-game he should start in midfield. In hindsight I think we may have been better off playing a midfield player in midfield, as fúcking pyramid inverting that may sound. I liken his performance to the good old days when a keeper may get injured and we may chuckle as Niall Quinn or the likes pulled on the green. Yes you may get away with it for a game but ultimately you will be found out, especially if you play a very good team. He started okay and ran around, similar to Chelsea a few weeks ago he started okay and ran around but then as the game settles the opposition simply bypass him because he is not a midfield player and things which are coached and natural and second nature to midfield players are foreign to him. His dire circumstances exacerbated by having a midfield colleague who is a good player but is simply not good enough when faced with the very highest level.

And then the fúcking cherry on what was ultimately a cake whose main ingredient was shít we are losing badly, indeed we are being humiliated yet again, mentally shattered as Wenger himself admitted and we sound the sirens and call for backup, the cavalry as such.

And the cameras turn to Theo fúcking Walcott. And at that point Jesus did weep.

Perhaps we thought the game was over and instead we were going to challenge them to a race in a straight line.

Almost everything else you have said I agree with.

You make good points, but the fact remains that Bayern are a very, very good side indeed against whom techincal excellence will get you the square root of fúck all if you're not prepared to match them physically.

But basically we agree.

World's End Stella
02-16-2017, 10:10 AM
Well, for most of thoise 10 years he kept us near the top of the league and solvent with a budget of about 40 quid, a greater achievement that doubles and unbeaten seasons :shrug:

The money situation is a source of some debate, Charles. I've never believed that Wenger was under the financial constraints so many people were certain of, mostly because the financial statements of the club indicate it wasn't true.

That aside, the lack of money does not explain mentally weak, defensively unaware players being trotted out week after week and seemingly never held accountable for their performances.

IUFG
02-16-2017, 10:11 AM
The paradox being, of course, that the only way you can get that football back is by walking away from it and refusing to keep funding the current model through Sky subscriptions, season tickets, merch, etc.

You're right of course.

Murdoch, et al is to blame - not the players and agents who are milking it dry.

Kodi streams from now on :thumbup:

02-16-2017, 10:12 AM
No. He's a control freak. He'll be all up in the manager's grill and shït
:nod: I recently met a woman whose job is to ensure the whole mascot experience goes very smoothly. She also has to orchestrate the arrival of the visiting players and marshal the media around both dressing rooms, make sure the flowers are fresh etc.

She told me has to be involved in everything. She pinned a small notice to the home dressing room door and he got quite flustered about it, demanding to know who did it and announcing it must never happen again. It was, incidentally, purely an aesthetic objection, nothing to do with the content of the note ( I fully expect you to excercise your creative powers to surmise what may have been on the note :-) )

Sir C
02-16-2017, 10:12 AM
The money situation is a source of some debate, Charles. I've never believed that Wenger was under the financial constraints so many people were certain of, mostly because the financial statements of the club indicate it wasn't true.

That aside, the lack of money does not explain mentally weak, defensively unaware players being trotted out week after week and seemingly never held accountable for their performances.

You realise we're third in the league, right?

Sir C
02-16-2017, 10:14 AM

7 times? Apologies, I didn't realise I was conversing with a JCL glory-hunting type :-(

You might be happier going to see Ed Sheeran, I think. He plays some nice pop songs.

World's End Stella
02-16-2017, 10:15 AM

No. Mostly because we're fourth.

Pokster
02-16-2017, 10:15 AM

Psssst, we're 4th

Sir C
02-16-2017, 10:16 AM
No. Mostly because we're fourth.

Oh right, it's clearly a fúcking crisis then.

IUFG
02-16-2017, 10:17 AM

nice to see you are on message, sc :thumbup:

SWv2
02-16-2017, 10:17 AM
You're right of course.

Murdoch, et al is to blame - not the players and agents who are milking it dry.

Kodi streams from now on :thumbup:

I was a little surprised there a week or two ago when I read a piece with Carl Jenkinson who was discussing his non-move to Palace. He did not of course lay out the full reasons but did state the issue was not financial.

He did however mention that he had still another 3.5 years on his deal with us, which surprised this reader. Mental arithmetic of 3.5 years lead me to 182 weeks and I hazarded a guess at perhaps £25,000 per week. So I worked out we had committed to paying this chap a further sum of £4.6m in basic salary over a period when it is not impossible to think that he may never kick a first team ball again.

The whole thing is wrong.

I don’t blame him of course, nor the club really.

Pat Vegas
02-16-2017, 10:19 AM
I was a little surprised there a week or two ago when I read a piece with Carl Jenkinson who was discussing his non-move to Palace. He did not of course lay out the full reasons but did state the issue was not financial.

He did however mention that he had still another 3.5 years on his deal with us, which surprised this reader. Mental arithmetic of 3.5 years lead me to 182 weeks and I hazarded a guess at perhaps £25,000 per week. So I worked out we had committed to paying this chap a further sum of £4.6m in basic salary over a period when it is not impossible to think that he may never kick a first team ball again.

He can get a lot of arsenal wallpaper with that money.

World's End Stella
02-16-2017, 10:20 AM

Our position in the table is not relevant as we have no chance of winning the league, and it is still February.

What is relevant are the appalling performances against big teams in important matches, how often it has happened over the past 5 or 6 years and the lack of real challenges for the league or the CL over the past 11 years. All of those things are terribly relevant and terribly damning.

Good thing is that while people like you may not realizing how damning these things are, there are increasing signs that Wenger does.

IUFG
02-16-2017, 10:20 AM
A prime example of the third rate, second stringer. Earning millions...

AND the 'Arsenalification' of that bedroom; well, quite remarkable.

Pokster
02-16-2017, 10:21 AM
He can get a lot of arsenal wallpaper with that money.

:nono: Arsenal wallpaper is hard to come by... could be a fash marketing idea here for you

SWv2
02-16-2017, 10:23 AM
A prime example of the third rate, second stringer. Earning millions...

AND the 'Arsenalification' of that bedroom; well, quite remarkable.

If my kid who is 9 asked for that I would tell him to grow up.

Peter
02-16-2017, 10:24 AM
7 times? Apologies, I didn't realise I was conversing with a JCL glory-hunting type :-(

You might be happier going to see Ed Sheeran, I think. He plays some nice pop songs.

It isn't like I am standing there calling for Born in the USA. Just maybe one of his selection of, oooh, 20 odd best songs that he never plays. It amazes me that people like you can stand there and watch Working on the Highway for the 20th time and not at least wonder whether the old **** might consider slipping in Used Cars, or Backstreets, Racing in the Street, Factory, a full band Thunder Road perhaps, something from Joad other than Youngstown...just once.

The live shows have become a little predictable. Still a great night and compared to watching anyone else a great show. Just not as good as it could/should be.

Billy Goat Sverige
02-16-2017, 10:25 AM

I've read he's on £45k a week.

Peter
02-16-2017, 10:27 AM
Our position in the table is not relevant as we have no chance of winning the league, and it is still February.

What is relevant are the appalling performances against big teams in important matches, how often it has happened over the past 5 or 6 years and the lack of real challenges for the league or the CL over the past 11 years. All of those things are terribly relevant and terribly damning.

Good thing is that while people like you may not realizing how damning these things are, there are increasing signs that Wenger does.

And you are skipping over the poor performances against average/**** teams, as well as the regular habit of completely failing to turn up at home to Watford.

It isn't just big games against big sides where we let ourselves down. It regularly occurs against rubbish as well.

redgunamo
02-16-2017, 10:27 AM
Perhaps an ambassadorial role, imo. Nothing more.

Burney
02-16-2017, 10:30 AM

My friend, you seem distressed and conflicted on this matter. :-( On the won hand, you are cross with the team/manager, but on the other, you don't want to be among the Wengeraaahti. I understand and sympathise.

Sir C
02-16-2017, 10:31 AM
My friend, you seem distressed and conflicted on this matter. :-( On the won hand, you are cross with the team/manager, but on the other, you don't want to be among the Wengeraaahti. I understand and sympathise.

I am cross, yes, but I am unwilling to allow my crossness to engender a lack of perspective.

SWv2
02-16-2017, 10:31 AM
I've read he's on £45k a week.

That's not helpful mate, honestly.

Shocking.

Peter
02-16-2017, 10:32 AM
Perhaps an ambassadorial role, imo. Nothing more.

Sometimes doing nothing is better than doing something

SWv2
02-16-2017, 10:32 AM
I am cross, yes, but I am unwilling to allow my crossness to engender a lack of perspective.

A natural end of contract parting of the ways this summer is the best progress for all concerned I think.

No sacking, no kicking out, simply change.

redgunamo
02-16-2017, 10:33 AM

No, it's actually big club mentality. After all, most of them have spent time outside the top division.

Sir C
02-16-2017, 10:34 AM
And you are skipping over the poor performances against average/**** teams, as well as the regular habit of completely failing to turn up at home to Watford.

It isn't just big games against big sides where we let ourselves down. It regularly occurs against rubbish as well.

Perspective. 'Poor performances against ****/average teams' and 'failing to turn up' would suggest that we lie 17th. We are significantly better than that.

Peter
02-16-2017, 10:37 AM
Perspective. 'Poor performances against ****/average teams' and 'failing to turn up' would suggest that we lie 17th. We are significantly better than that.

No, it would suggest that we cant get the kind of consistency that keeps you in a title race. For example a recent run of six very winnable games yielded 4 wins and a draw because we were a disgrace against Bournemouth and Watford. By the time we got to Chelsea we were out of the race, effectively.

redgunamo
02-16-2017, 10:42 AM
Sometimes doing nothing is better than doing something

Right. And even that, only after a period of reflection.

redgunamo
02-16-2017, 10:56 AM

Certainly He's something of a victim of His own method, as normally the club runs itself while the manager is merely expected to run the football team.

Managers deriving credit for maintaining a club's financial health is unusual.

Tony C
02-16-2017, 12:02 PM
Therein lies the problem...too many conflicts of interest and major step away from the careful coaching and man management that made him successful.

He says his job is to entertain but there wasn't anything entertaining about losing to Watford or last nights humiliation.

Board don't see it as an issue and wants him to stay because he keeps on brining in the cash with his 'entertainment'

He clearly loves the club and all that but things have gotten away from him...does he even still stay up at night wat high games from the Estonian 2nd division like he used too? probably not...

redgunamo
02-16-2017, 12:13 PM
.does he even still stay up at night wat high games from the Estonian 2nd division like he used too? probably not...

He only did all that to avoid the wife, I thought, and she's gone now, ain't she?

PSRB
02-16-2017, 12:25 PM
Well... God forgive me, but you really ahve to wonder :-(

It really was woeful, not really sure any of them could look AW in the eye today and say they gave it 100% (except LK6)