PDA

View Full Version : Some vaguely interesting stuff on our errant midfielder here from his old club

Luis Anaconda
02-15-2017, 12:42 PM
http://thesetpieces.com/features/can-arsenal-midfielder-granit-xhaka-learn-discipline-problems-past/

Pat Vegas
02-15-2017, 12:44 PM
http://thesetpieces.com/features/can-arsenal-midfielder-granit-xhaka-learn-discipline-problems-past/

Play him tonight!

Billy Goat Sverige
02-15-2017, 12:47 PM
Play him tonight!

Regardless of him being a bit mental he's still comfortably our best central midfielder (of all the available ones) and should be starting.

Pat Vegas
02-15-2017, 12:48 PM
Regardless of him being a bit mental he's still comfortably our best central midfielder (of all the available ones) and should be starting.

and experienced in Germany.

IUFG
02-15-2017, 12:48 PM
aha! make him captain is what I get from that.

Who is our captain anyway?

Luis Anaconda
02-15-2017, 12:49 PM

I think he will. Only threat to his position is when/if Santi comes back. He at least should be fresh. He's like a footballing Dylan Hartley* - you want him in your team when he is available

*of a couple of years ago

SWv2
02-15-2017, 12:49 PM

I fully concur. So much silliness surrounds the reporting of this player.

Luis Anaconda
02-15-2017, 12:50 PM

I think it might be me tonight. I'll give Arsene a shout

IUFG
02-15-2017, 12:50 PM
can you demonstrate any leadership qualities whatsoever, LA?

Billy Goat Sverige
02-15-2017, 12:52 PM
I fully concur. So much silliness surrounds the reporting of this player.

You could argue the two reds he got were harsh as well. I've seen similar or worse challenges than the ones he got sent off for nearly every weekend. It's not like he goes around kicking people like a Lee Cattermole, or that **** who plays for Burnley and spent the whole game kicking our players.

Pat Vegas
02-15-2017, 12:56 PM

Pear Maretearsacker.

Keeping up the tradition of once you are captain you no longer play.

Luis Anaconda
02-15-2017, 12:57 PM
can you demonstrate any leadership qualities whatsoever, LA?

Of course, not. I know where the bar is, though

Luis Anaconda
02-15-2017, 12:58 PM
You could argue the two reds he got were harsh as well. I've seen similar or worse challenges than the ones he got sent off nearly every weekend. It's not like he goes around kicking people like a Lee Cattermole, or that **** who plays for Burnley and spent the whole game kicking our players.
The first one is looking more and more ridiculous as the season goes on. The second was understandable but still on the harsh side

SWv2
02-15-2017, 01:00 PM
You could argue the two reds he got were harsh as well. I've seen similar or worse challenges than the ones he got sent off for nearly every weekend. It's not like he goes around kicking people like a Lee Cattermole, or that **** who plays for Burnley and spent the whole game kicking our players.

Irrespective of the red cards his obvious talent on the ball and range of passing should be obvious to all. Reminds me of the original SW in a way.

I’m just not sure AW has really worked out his midfield pairing yet, and midfield is all about partnerships let us remember. I cannot for the life of me think he spent €30m or whatever on the player to pair him with Coquelin but this has appeared to be the most regular selection to date, injuries etc. allowing of course.

Part of me thinks he doesn’t really have a clear plan or vision at all.

IUFG
02-15-2017, 01:02 PM
Well, that makes you better qualified to be club captain than any of our current crop of powder puff pansies :thumbup:

IUFG
02-15-2017, 01:03 PM
isn't he dead?

Nowhere near the bench?

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
02-15-2017, 01:07 PM
isn't he dead?

Nowhere near the bench?

Which won?

Ash
02-15-2017, 01:18 PM
Which won?

Ted Bench, I expect.

Pat Vegas
02-15-2017, 01:21 PM
Ted Bench, I expect.

What do you Bench?

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
02-15-2017, 01:22 PM
Ted Bench, I expect.
:hehe: don't you just hate posters what don't use the quote function :-|

Ash
02-15-2017, 01:32 PM
What do you Bench?

Never having been in a gym since I left school, I don't even know what this mysterious verb means.

Pokster
02-15-2017, 01:32 PM
Yes, it boils my piss

World's End Stella
02-15-2017, 01:36 PM
Never having been in a gym since I left school, I don't even know what this mysterious verb means.

That's nothing to brag about, Ash. Gyms are good; very, very good indeed.

They allow you to exercise the most important muscle in your body, your heart. And post workout, the endorphin surge brings new happiness to your being. And if you're lucky, there is usually some serious scenery about.

Well done, the gym. :cloud9:

Ash
02-15-2017, 01:40 PM

They allow you to exercise the most important muscle in your body, your heart. And post workout, the endorphin surge brings new happiness to your being. And if you're lucky, there is usually some serious scenery about.

Who's bragging?

Anyway, my heart gets plenty of exercise, thanks.

Sir C
02-15-2017, 01:42 PM

Jesus Q Christ, if you start sweating in a gym they'll have to evacuate the fúcking place.

Luis Anaconda
02-15-2017, 01:43 PM
Jesus Q Christ, if you start sweating in a gym they'll have to evacuate the fúcking place.

Knowing some of the cheeky *******s they would advertise his outpourings under the term "new pool added"

Pokster
02-15-2017, 01:43 PM

He probably has to pay about £100 a month to do that as well..... as you say, I feel sorry for the others who pay it and get splattered in his bodily fluids

Pat Vegas
02-15-2017, 01:44 PM

I am pretending to enjoy going to the gym.

But to be honest I detest the place. It's also very boring.

SWv2
02-15-2017, 01:44 PM
Who's bragging?

Anyway, my heart gets plenty of exercise, thanks.

I would imagine your weekend marathon walks out-do even the most ardent gym person in terms of cardiovascular emissions.

Wd walking. The singly best exercise a person can do.

World's End Stella
02-15-2017, 01:48 PM

This idea that I spend my life sweating excessively is a myth that I fully object to.

You're going to bang on about it endlessly now, aren't you? :-(

World's End Stella
02-15-2017, 01:51 PM
I would imagine your weekend marathon walks out-do even the most ardent gym person in terms of cardiovascular emissions.

Nonsense, this is what unfit people like to tell you.

Walking is OK, for the very elderly. But it is no replacement for proper cardiovascular exercise. I expect that 99% of people that consider walking to be exercise are either over the age of 70, or smoke.

Get yer pasty white arse down the gym, SW. Get ripped.

Pat Vegas
02-15-2017, 01:55 PM
Nonsense, this is what unfit people like to tell you.

Walking is OK, for the very elderly. But it is no replacement for proper cardiovascular exercise. I expect that 99% of people that consider walking to be exercise are either over the age of 70, or smoke.

Get yer pasty white arse down the gym, SW. Get ripped.

Walking doesn't do enough for me. plus it takes forever.

Sir C
This idea that I spend my life sweating excessively is a myth that I fully object to.

Wait, are you suggesting that I am the only person here who has suffered the splashback from your effusive emissions? I believe that many amongst us have tasted the salty outpourings of your overactive glands. (Some possibly also glans.)

Pat Vegas

It's like Fash and the ginger stuff.

Pokster
02-15-2017, 01:56 PM
Wait, are you suggesting that I am the only person here who has suffered the splashback from your effusive emissions? I believe that many amongst us have tasted the salty outpourings of your overactive glands. (Some possibly also glans.)

I got splashed with something when i squashed the pint beaker on his head

Sir C
02-15-2017, 01:58 PM
I got splashed with something when i squashed the pint beaker on his head

:hehe: A classic awimb moment.

I expect that's, what, 3 or 4 years ago now. :-(

Pokster
02-15-2017, 01:59 PM
:hehe: A classic awimb moment.

I expect that's, what, 3 or 4 years ago now. :-(

:old: I'd guess 9 or 10

Sir C
02-15-2017, 02:00 PM
:old: I'd guess 9 or 10

My word. :-(

World's End Stella
02-15-2017, 02:00 PM

Another lie, an outrageous lie to boot. I may have perspired slightly in the Woodbine as the f*cker is hotter than a very hot thing. But I would have discretely wiped it away without it getting anywhere near you or anyone else.

The only person I sprayed an emission over was your wife. And your mum, obviously.

Pokster
02-15-2017, 02:01 PM
My word. :-(

It was when you were a young thruster and berni was still in short trousers

Ash

:nod: Planning on doing the Old Kent Road to Kent this weekend. London Bridge to Dartford, (mostly) along the old Roman road. Have already done the Edgware Road to Edgware (from Marble Arch), which is part of the same Roman Watling Street.

Sir C
Yes, it boils my piss

What do you consider a decent 10k time? I'm thinking of moving to 2 5ks and 2 10ks a week.

Pokster
02-15-2017, 02:03 PM
What do you consider a decent 10k time? I'm thinking of moving to 2 5ks and 2 10ks a week.

well I have only run a 10K once since the marathon and my knees complained for 3 days.... 50 mins is a good time... between 50 and 55 gives a good workout without killing yourself

Sir C
02-15-2017, 02:05 PM
well I have only run a 10K once since the marathon and my knees complained for 3 days.... 50 mins is a good time... between 50 and 55 gives a good workout without killing yourself

I was thinking that sort of area, thank you. Sounds doable, I'm running 23 minute 5ks.

SWv2
02-15-2017, 02:08 PM
:nod: Planning on doing the Old Kent Road to Kent this weekend. London Bridge to Dartford, (mostly) along the old Roman road. Have already done the Edgware Road to Edgware (from Marble Arch), which is part of the same Roman Watling Street.

Passing my old office above M+S.

SWv2
02-15-2017, 02:09 PM
I was thinking that sort of area, thank you. Sounds doable, I'm running 23 minute 5ks.

I would have thought 60 all things considered.

20 mins here or there was very achievable for 5k when I did these things so allowing for natural tiring and slowing down with extra distance then anything around 60 is highly commendable.

Pokster
02-15-2017, 02:09 PM

I'm doing interval 5k training... 1min at 11kph and 1 at 13.... feel it is a better workout than just a steady pace

Sir C
02-15-2017, 02:12 PM
I'm doing interval 5k training... 1min at 11kph and 1 at 13.... feel it is a better workout than just a steady pace

It probably is, but (whisper it) I'm having some initial, very, very vague thoughts of doing a half marathon. Next year. Maybe. Probably not. Almost certainly not, actually. Forget I mentioned it.

Anyway, I just want to concentrate on increasing distance but at a reasonable pace.

Sir C
02-15-2017, 02:13 PM
I would have thought 60 all things considered.

20 mins here or there was very achievable for 5k when I did these things so allowing for natural tiring and slowing down with extra distance then anything around 60 is highly commendable.

I wouldn't be upset with 60 but I'm used to running 5 23 minute 5ks a week, so I should probably be a bit quicker than that.

Pokster
02-15-2017, 02:25 PM
It probably is, but (whisper it) I'm having some initial, very, very vague thoughts of doing a half marathon. Next year. Maybe. Probably not. Almost certainly not, actually. Forget I mentioned it.

Anyway, I just want to concentrate on increasing distance but at a reasonable pace.

I did a half marathon with no training when i was a lot younger.. 1:59.30 was very pleased with that, especially as I did it in my green flash trainers :ancienthistory:

Luis Anaconda
02-15-2017, 02:46 PM

I can speak from experience of walks home from the Woodbine to Highgate with Ash, he does set a fair rate as well. Often needed a stop in a hostelry on the way back.

I do miss those days

SWv2
02-15-2017, 02:52 PM
I can speak from experience of walks home from the Woodbine to Highgate with Ash, he does set a fair rate as well. Often needed a stop in a hostelry on the way back.

I do miss those days

I am genuinely surprised you appear to be back in the office this afternoon.

Hold on ... the whole way from the Woodbine to Highgate???

Pat Vegas
02-15-2017, 02:53 PM

I do a mix of high pace walk/jog then for the final 3 mins of say 10 I up the speed. then slow it down then repeat. those minutes go slow when you are really pushing. But I find on my 3rd burst of the higher speeds it seems to get a bit easier. until I reach the point I feel that it's time to stop as I am going to die.

Luis Anaconda
02-15-2017, 02:58 PM
I am genuinely surprised you appear to be back in the office this afternoon.

Hold on ... the whole way from the Woodbine to Highgate???

Yep - hugely ale-fuelled of course