PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm. Someone's just suggested I've made a racist comment.

Burney
02-13-2017, 12:15 PM
Someone said they would have to leave a meeting at 2.30 in order to get to a dentist's appointment. I made the standard 'tooth hurty/2.30' remark, only for someone in all seriousness to imply that that might be offensive to Chinamen. :-(

I feel like Big Fat Ron now. :-(

SWv2
02-13-2017, 12:18 PM
Someone said they would have to leave a meeting at 2.30 in order to get to a dentist's appointment. I made the standard 'tooth hurty/2.30' remark, only for someone in all seriousness to imply that that might be offensive to Chinamen. :-(

Tell the other chap, the accuser, to fúck off.

Burney
02-13-2017, 12:22 PM
Tell the other chap, the accuser, to fúck off.

Inevitably enough, it was a white, middle-class woman. The same one who hates me for admitting voting Leave. I laughed it off.

Maybe I should go into the other office to check with a Chinese lady whether or not she finds it offensive? :rubchin:

Sir C
02-13-2017, 12:25 PM

They can't take our toothurty gag away, b. No pasaran!

Pokster
02-13-2017, 12:25 PM

i think more should be made od someone making an appt during the working day.... work shy coont

Pat Vegas
02-13-2017, 12:26 PM

Better than the current scandal in my office.

someone had put a piece of toast in the secure shredding bin and the boss seems annoyed.

SWv2
02-13-2017, 12:29 PM
i think more should be made od someone making an appt during the working day.... work shy coont

Perhaps the person is in a lot of discomfort, perhaps 2:30 was the only appointment they could get before Thursday.

Sometimes these things happen P. The world of commerce, or journalism, ticks on.

Burney
02-13-2017, 12:31 PM
They can't take our toothurty gag away, b. No pasaran!

Well this is what I think. This is surely an intrinsic part of our culture?

I was quite shocked that it could even be considered racist, tbh. Maybe this is how my granny felt when she asked for 'nïgger brown' wool in Allders in Croydon in the early 80s? :-(

Burney
02-13-2017, 12:31 PM
Better than the current scandal in my office.

someone had put a piece of toast in the secure shredding bin and the boss seems annoyed.

Actually, shredding a piece of toast sounds quite fun.

Pat Vegas
02-13-2017, 12:33 PM
Actually, shredding a piece of toast sounds quite fun.

:nod: I also think it would be fun to post a slice of toast through someones letter box.

Burney
02-13-2017, 12:33 PM

Fair point, actually. For some reason, dentist's appointments are always considered a valid reason to fück off, aren't they?

Pat Vegas
02-13-2017, 12:35 PM
Fair point, actually. For some reason, dentist's appointments are always considered a valid reason to fück off, aren't they?

a) It's not racist anyway. You were doing a voice of someone who just had dentist work.

b) you can't be racist against the Chinese. It doesn't exist.

Luis Anaconda
02-13-2017, 12:36 PM

Just thinking about that joke. If you say two thirty quickly over and over again it sounds like tooth hurty anyway - where did the Chinese bit come in - it doesn't involve the usual "l" or "r". Or maybe I am just overthinking it

Pat Vegas
02-13-2017, 12:37 PM
Just thinking about that joke. If you say two thirty quickly over and over again it sounds like tooth hurty anyway - where did the Chinese bit come in - it doesn't involve the usual "l" or "r". Or maybe I am just overthinking it

It's an old gag LA.

Burney

I believe the original joke was 'When does a Chinaman go to the dentist?'

Sir C

Tooth hurtee, innit. That's how chinamen were alleged to speak, back in the good old* days.

*Racist.

Burney
02-13-2017, 12:38 PM
a) It's not racist anyway. You were doing a voice of someone who just had dentist work.

b) you can't be racist against the Chinese. It doesn't exist.

Hmmm. What if I put a lampshade on my head, pull my eyes into slits and start saying 'Ahh-so. I am Ching-Chong Chinaman'?

Pat Vegas
02-13-2017, 12:38 PM
Tooth hurtee, innit. That's how chinamen were alleged to speak, back in the good old* days.

*Racist.

Knock Knock.

Sir C
02-13-2017, 12:39 PM
Knock Knock.

Who's there?

Pat Vegas
02-13-2017, 12:40 PM
Hmmm. What if I put a lampshade on my head, pull my eyes into slits and start saying 'Ahh-so. I am Ching-Chong Chinaman'?

I think it's ok.

You should apologise to him but make it sincere but as long winded as possible. and it end it with. Racism is never acceptable. it bugs me long time.

Pat Vegas
02-13-2017, 12:41 PM
Who's there?

Adolf.......

Sir C
02-13-2017, 12:46 PM
Adolf.......

Adolf who?

Luis Anaconda
02-13-2017, 12:46 PM

*Racist.
But do it in an French accent and the joke still works doesn't it.

I'm not sure - I ended up drinking for nearly sixteen hours on Saturday/Sunday morning. I didn't actually get out of bed yesterday. Everything is a bit weird today

Pat Vegas
02-13-2017, 12:47 PM
Adolf who?

Adolf ball hit me mowth and can't talk prowpperly. :hide:

That's offensive to people with speech disorders.
Can't do any jokes these days.

Sir C
02-13-2017, 12:47 PM
But do it in an French accent and the joke still works doesn't it.

I'm not sure - I ended up drinking for nearly sixteen hours on Saturday/Sunday morning. I didn't actually get out of bed yesterday. Everything is a bit weird today

You need a couple of beers to straighten you up.

Sir C
02-13-2017, 12:48 PM
Adolf ball hit me mowth and can't talk prowpperly. :hide:

That's offensive to people with speech disorders.
Can't do any jokes these days.

I'll just weep into my cleft palate for a bit.

Pat Vegas
02-13-2017, 12:49 PM
I'll just weep into my cleft palate for a bit.

Everyone is just relieved the joke wasn't about Hitler.
He's definitely not a subject for comedy.

Luis Anaconda
02-13-2017, 12:51 PM
You need a couple of beers to straighten you up.

:nod: I'll have a word with Mr Withnail

Sir C
02-13-2017, 12:51 PM
:nod: I'll have a word with Mr Withnail

When's he arriving?

Luis Anaconda
02-13-2017, 12:54 PM
When's he arriving?

Here already - the boy's birthday today. Probably pissed already

Sir C
02-13-2017, 12:56 PM
Here already - the boy's birthday today. Probably pissed already

You'd best get down there and stop them getting into trouble.

I wish I'd come. I could just do with lunch at Haxnbauer :-(

Luis Anaconda
02-13-2017, 12:59 PM
You'd best get down there and stop them getting into trouble.

I wish I'd come. I could just do with lunch at Haxnbauer :-(

Always next year -besides, it's still cold here

Ash
02-13-2017, 01:11 PM
I believe the original joke was 'When does a Chinaman go to the dentist?'

No, LA is right. There is nothing intrinsically Chineseish about 'hurty', so deny all knowledge of the Chinaman joke, claim all innocence, and say that she is projecting her own sublimated racism.