PDA

View Full Version : Talking of food, a PR has invited me out to lunch at an Iraqi place in Tolworth

Burney
02-10-2017, 11:50 AM
Fair enough, I suppose, but it turns out that he's off the sauce these days having had some issues in that department and the reason we're going to this place is that it doesn't serve booze. :-(

I think I'm entitled to feel a bit miffed about this, no?

Sir C
02-10-2017, 11:53 AM
Fair enough, I suppose, but it turns out that he's off the sauce these days having had some issues in that department and the reason we're going to this place is that it doesn't serve booze. :-(

Forget the booze, you're going to schlepp all the way to fúcking Tolworth to eat... Iraqi food? Are you demented?

Burney
02-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Forget the booze, you're going to schlepp all the way to fúcking Tolworth to eat... Iraqi food? Are you demented?

I assume Iraqi food is like all those sorts of places, no? Bits of lamb, bread, dips, cumin - that'll be alright, won't it?

I do feel I've been invited out under false pretences with the booze thing, though. :-(

Sir C
02-10-2017, 11:56 AM
I assume Iraqi food is like all those sorts of places, no? Bits of lamb, bread, dips, cumin - that'll be alright, won't it?

I do feel I've been invited out under false pretences with the booze thing, though. :-(

I assume so, but... Tolworth. Tolworth is, like, nowhere. You'll be travelling for days.

SWv2
02-10-2017, 11:59 AM

Presumably said PR is trying to seduce you in some way (not in that way) or at least to win your favour.

Seems flawed from the off.

Burney
02-10-2017, 12:01 PM
I assume so, but... Tolworth. Tolworth is, like, nowhere. You'll be travelling for days.

Yeah. It's one of those places that pretends to be sort of London, but really isn't, isn't it? :-(

I'll be honest, when I accepted the invitation, I had no idea where Tolworth actually was. :-(

Burney
02-10-2017, 12:02 PM
Presumably said PR is trying to seduce you in some way (not in that way) or at least to win your favour.

Seems flawed from the off.

Yes, he doesn't really know me and this is his way of doing so, it seems. As you say, he hasn't really thought it through.

Luis Anaconda
02-10-2017, 12:27 PM
Yes, he doesn't really know me and this is his way of doing so, it seems. As you say, he hasn't really thought it through.

How the hell do you keep a job as a PR is you can't get journalists drunk? I'm a tolerant man, b, but this is a step too far. My only comparable experience was going to a launch in Clerkenwell. No real interest in the product - some computer game - but free beer is free beer. Turned up and we were handed bottles if (American) Budweiser. Needless to say, we put these down and headed straight to the nearest pub

Burney
02-10-2017, 12:36 PM
How the hell do you keep a job as a PR is you can't get journalists drunk? I'm a tolerant man, b, but this is a step too far. My only comparable experience was going to a launch in Clerkenwell. No real interest in the product - some computer game - but free beer is free beer. Turned up and we were handed bottles if (American) Budweiser. Needless to say, we put these down and headed straight to the nearest pub

Somehow, la, I knew you would have robust views on this matter :hehe: