PDA

View Full Version : All this Yankee food talk means I MUST go to Goodmans for lunch

World's End Stella
02-10-2017, 11:20 AM
Goodmans ribeye done medium rare with creamed spinach or the Goodmans burger done medium with cheese and bacon with chips cooked in duck fat on the side?

What say ye AWIMB? :judge:

Sir C
02-10-2017, 11:22 AM
Goodmans ribeye done medium rare with creamed spinach or the Goodmans burger done medium with cheese and bacon with chips cooked in duck fat on the side?

Will they give you that grain-fed mush? Go for the burger. And lose the bacon. There's no place for bacon near a burger.

Pat Vegas
02-10-2017, 11:23 AM

Is it good. I find a lot of pretend Yankee establishments in London are awful.

On a separate note Mr End Stella. This popularity of Poutine in the whole of Canada and outside of Canada is a recent phenomenon? There was even a poutine stall going around London.

I don't recall seeing it every where when I visited Canada in the past. Now it's every bloody where.
That being said I had some amazing stuff down by the waterfront in Halfiax :cloud9:

Pat Vegas
02-10-2017, 11:28 AM
Maybe I will head to Spitalfields at lunch for this.

https://twitter.com/ThePoutinerie

Burney
02-10-2017, 11:28 AM

Creamed spinach? :-( Isn't that baby food?

And there's absolutely no need to cook chips in duck fat. All that means is that your chips taste of duck fat. You'd be better off with lard or beef dripping.

Sir C
02-10-2017, 11:30 AM

Good Lord. :curds:

Burney
02-10-2017, 11:30 AM

Well if you don't mind trying to eat cheesy chips and gravy standing up while being jostled by every other office worker in London, I suppose :shrug:

Pat Vegas
02-10-2017, 11:31 AM
Well if you don't mind trying to eat cheesy chips and gravy standing up while being jostled by every other office worker in London, I suppose :shrug:

It's Friday so the city is not as bad. You can see a difference the tube and trains are not as packed.
I think it's half term next week too which has an effect.

World's End Stella
02-10-2017, 11:32 AM
Is it good. I find a lot of pretend Yankee establishments in London are awful.

On a separate note Mr End Stella. This popularity of Poutine in the whole of Canada and outside of Canada is a recent phenomenon? There was even a poutine stall going around London.

I don't recall seeing it every where when I visited Canada in the past. Now it's every bloody where.
That being said I had some amazing stuff down by the waterfront in Halfiax :cloud9:

Poutine was always popular but you had to look for it, now it's so de rigeur that you find poutine places everywhere with endless variations. Being of the traditional mode, it was all I could do to just get a plane poutine.

Kids loved it was well, top class comfort food is poutine.

Burney
02-10-2017, 11:34 AM
Good Lord. :curds:

Check out Recep Erdogan over here

Pat Vegas
02-10-2017, 11:34 AM
Poutine was always popular but you had to look for it, now it's so de rigeur that you find poutine places everywhere with endless variations. Being of the traditional mode, it was all I could do to just get a plane poutine.

Kids loved it was well, top class comfort food is poutine.

I see the Donair kebab is also spreading around too.
people in Halifax are too proud of them. nice but strange.

World's End Stella
02-10-2017, 11:35 AM
Creamed spinach? :-( Isn't that baby food?

And there's absolutely no need to cook chips in duck fat. All that means is that your chips taste of duck fat. You'd be better off with lard or beef dripping.

Nope, creamed spinach is ace, especially with steak. Goodmans get it just creamy enough and then grate aged Gruyere over the top which makes it extra perfect.

And duck fat makes the most perfect chips, Burney, I'm shocked at you. Have you never toured Gascony and discovered that, in fact, everything tastes better when cooked in duck fat? Also, Goodmans will give you béarnaise on the side at no extra cost to dunk your chips in.

Chips cooked in duck fat and dunked in béarnaise, how could anything possibly be more delicious? :cloud9:

Burney
02-10-2017, 11:45 AM
Nope, creamed spinach is ace, especially with steak. Goodmans get it just creamy enough and then grate aged Gruyere over the top which makes it extra perfect.

And duck fat makes the most perfect chips, Burney, I'm shocked at you. Have you never toured Gascony and discovered that, in fact, everything tastes better when cooked in duck fat? Also, Goodmans will give you béarnaise on the side at no extra cost to dunk your chips in.

Chips cooked in duck fat and dunked in béarnaise, how could anything possibly be more delicious? :cloud9:

Of course I've been to Gascony and the Perigord. It is there that I learned that there is such a thing as too much duck fat. Everything is cooked in the fūcking stuff to the point at which you start to feel like you're sweating it out of your fùcking pores and are no longer capable of tasting anything else. Indeed, such a trip in my experience is enough to put a chap off duck and its many by-products for a twelvemonth. Salade de gesiers? Salade de fùck off more like.

Duck fat is fine in its place, but its place is not in cooking a chip.

Sir C
02-10-2017, 11:47 AM
Check out Recep Erdogan over here

Bismillah.

Sir C
02-10-2017, 11:48 AM
Of course I've been to Gascony and the Perigord. It is there that I learned that there is such a thing as too much duck fat. Everything is cooked in the fūcking stuff to the point at which you start to feel like you're sweating it out of your fùcking pores and are no longer capable of tasting anything else. Indeed, such a trip in my experience is enough to put a chap off duck and its many by-products for a twelvemonth. Salade de gesiers? Salade de fùck off more like.

Duck fat is fine in its place, but its place is not in cooking a chip.

I like to fry my pototoes in duck fat when they are accompnaying the confit, of course, but once or twice a year is quite sufficent.

Burney
02-10-2017, 11:53 AM
I like to fry my pototoes in duck fat when they are accompnaying the confit, of course, but once or twice a year is quite sufficent.

Of course. I used always to use it to roast potatoes until I got fed up with my potatoes tasting of duck when I wasn't eating duck as the main meat. I much prefer lard these days. I also think it gets them crispier.

Sir C
02-10-2017, 11:54 AM
Of course. I used always to use it to roast potatoes until I got fed up with my potatoes tasting of duck when I wasn't eating duck as the main meat. I much prefer lard these days. I also think it gets them crispier.

No question about it. Lard is the only thing for roast potatoes. I have known this and lived by it since the 1980s when Delia taught me to make roast potatoes. :shrug:

Burney
02-10-2017, 11:57 AM
No question about it. Lard is the only thing for roast potatoes. I have known this and lived by it since the 1980s when Delia taught me to make roast potatoes. :shrug:

And lard's healthy again now. :cloud9: