PDA

View Full Version : Sir C how was your Sexy lamb and lentils?

Pat Vegas
02-10-2017, 10:39 AM
I had pork belly.

I will eat like a pig for 2 more days then onto my regime.

Sir C
02-10-2017, 10:47 AM
I had pork belly.

I will eat like a pig for 2 more days then onto my regime.

Actually it was rather good. The lentils were a warm, comforting triumph. I cooked them in some good beef stock I made earlier in the week, then softened the soffrito with plenty of garlic, cumin and turmeric, then popped in the lentils with a splash of double cream and finished with lemon zest and parsley. Happy days.

I have just had an Ocado delivery. This week I ordered a load of food at random to play Ready, Steady, Cook for a few days. So I have:

1 x enormous shoulder of pork
16 x chicken wings
1 x beef mince
1 x veal mnce
1 x chicken
1 x pack of massive hot dogs

I can feel a chilli coming on, certainly. A roast chicken on Sunday to keep the glw happy. Buffalo wings, perhaps?

That shoulder, though. Slow cook it and pull it? Roast it? Some sort of curry? Hmm.

World's End Stella
02-10-2017, 10:51 AM
Buffalo wings?

You have a deep fryer?

Burney
02-10-2017, 10:54 AM
Actually it was rather good. The lentils were a warm, comforting triumph. I cooked them in some good beef stock I made earlier in the week, then softened the soffrito with plenty of garlic, cumin and turmeric, then popped in the lentils with a splash of double cream and finished with lemon zest and parsley. Happy days.

I have just had an Ocado delivery. This week I ordered a load of food at random to play Ready, Steady, Cook for a few days. So I have:

1 x enormous shoulder of pork
16 x chicken wings
1 x beef mince
1 x veal mnce
1 x chicken
1 x pack of massive hot dogs

I can feel a chilli coming on, certainly. A roast chicken on Sunday to keep the glw happy. Buffalo wings, perhaps?

That shoulder, though. Slow cook it and pull it? Roast it? Some sort of curry? Hmm.

I'm not convinced by the whole 'pulled pork' BBQ thing. Too sweet. :-(

Here's what I'd do with a pork shoulder. Rub it with fennel, salt and pepper, slow roast it (overnight is best), then whack up the heat at the end to get top crackling. Then tear bits off it and the crackling off and serve on a bed of potato and butternut squash mash with crispy onions and a jus made from the cooking juices.

You're welcome.

Sir C
Buffalo wings?

You have a deep fryer?

What sort of kitchen illiterate doesn't have a deep fryer? How else does one make chips efficiently and quickly?

I won't use it for the chicken, though. A deep saucepan and a thermometer works, and saves the deep fryer from becoming mankified with chicken bits.

Burney
Buffalo wings?

You have a deep fryer?

What sort of a cook doesn't possess a deep fat fryer? :shrug:

Sir C
02-10-2017, 10:56 AM

Here's what I'd do with a pork shoulder. Rub it with fennel, salt and pepper, slow roast it (overnight is best), then whack up the heat at the end to get top crackling. Then tear bits off it and crackling off and serve on a bed of potato and butternut squash mash with crispy onions and a jus made from the cooking juices.

You're welcome.

I do lots of pulled pork in the summer using the barbie as a smoker; the secret is to wind back on the sugar so that it isn't too sweet :shrug:

Your suggestion sounds delightful. I just wonder whether, given the inevitability of the roast chicken on Sunday, a different roasted meat on Saturday won't seem a bit samey?

Burney
02-10-2017, 10:57 AM
What sort of kitchen illiterate doesn't have a deep fryer? How else does one make chips efficiently and quickly?

I won't use it for the chicken, though. A deep saucepan and a thermometer works, and saves the deep fryer from becoming mankified with chicken bits.

Oh, I'm just resigned o the fact that one has to change the oil virtually every time one uses it, tbh.

Sir C
02-10-2017, 10:59 AM
Oh, I'm just resigned o the fact that one has to change the oil virtually every time one uses it, tbh.

It's not so much the oil as the thought of all the meat ming clinging to the sides of the bowl. You can't exactly wash it, can you?

Mind you, I do chuck the thing away and replace it every 6 months.

Burney
I do lots of pulled pork in the summer using the barbie as a smoker; the secret is to wind back on the sugar so that it isn't too sweet :shrug:

Your suggestion sounds delightful. I just wonder whether, given the inevitability of the roast chicken on Sunday, a different roasted meat on Saturday won't seem a bit samey?

Here's an idea: fvck the roast chicken out the window for once. Stand your ground and tell your woman that NO, she may not have roast chicken on Sunday for once because it's tedious.

This will, of course, involve you retrieving your testes from her handbag first ;-)

World's End Stella

The missus won't let me buy one. She hates the smell of the oil and claims it infests the kitchen. :-(

You know, in all my years in England I have yet to find a restaurant that deep fries its chicken wings. And baking them is heinous.

I trust you know the buffalo wing recipe? 2/3 Durkee Franks hot sauce, 1/3 melted butter, wings served with blue cheese dressing on the side?

God I need to be in a sports bar in NY right now. :eat:

Burney
02-10-2017, 11:00 AM
It's not so much the oil as the thought of all the meat ming clinging to the sides of the bowl. You can't exactly wash it, can you?

Mind you, I do chuck the thing away and replace it every 6 months.

Well yes, one can wash it. Mine comes apart to its various constituents, virtually all of which can go in the dishwasher. It's a DeLonghi, I think.

World's End Stella
02-10-2017, 11:01 AM

Really? Chap I knew in Toronto claimed to make the best fries ever in his deep fat fryer. He would change the oil, make a batch, throw them away and then make another batch.

His view was that the best fries had to be made with 'used' oil as such.

Sir C
02-10-2017, 11:02 AM
The missus won't let me buy one. She hates the smell of the oil and claims it infests the kitchen. :-(

You know, in all my years in England I have yet to find a restaurant that deep fries its chicken wings. And baking them is heinous.

I trust you know the buffalo wing recipe? 2/3 Durkee Franks hot sauce, 1/3 melted butter, wings served with blue cheese dressing on the side?

You must take control of your woman. A deep fat fryer makes life better. Some people have them set up in the garage, or utility room, that sort of thing, but modern ones tend to keep the smell in.

Yes, there's a decent 'How to cook perfect buffalo wings' article by Felicity Cloake in the Guardian which works well for me.

Sir C
02-10-2017, 11:04 AM
Here's an idea: fvck the roast chicken out the window for once. Stand your ground and tell your woman that NO, she may not have roast chicken on Sunday for once because it's tedious.

This will, of course, involve you retrieving your testes from her handbag first ;-)

She is the love of my life, b. I exist only to please her. One milligram of her happiness is worth 10 tonnes of my own to me. I would prepare her roast chicken every day if she asked, and I would do it with a smile and a cheerful heart. :love:

She's still not getting bread sauce though. Fúck that.

Sir C
02-10-2017, 11:05 AM
Well yes, one can wash it. Mine comes apart to its various constituents, virtually all of which can go in the dishwasher. It's a DeLonghi, I think.

Same same. You can't wash the meat germ infested heating element bit, though.

Burney
02-10-2017, 11:06 AM
She is the love of my life, b. I exist only to please her. One milligram of her happiness is worth 10 tonnes of my own to me. I would prepare her roast chicken every day if she asked, and I would do it with a smile and a cheerful heart. :love:

She's still not getting bread sauce though. Fúck that.

Ah, I see. You're worried she might be lurking.

World's End Stella
02-10-2017, 11:07 AM
You must take control of your woman. A deep fat fryer makes life better. Some people have them set up in the garage, or utility room, that sort of thing, but modern ones tend to keep the smell in.

Yes, there's a decent 'How to cook perfect buffalo wings' article by Felicity Cloake in the Guardian which works well for me.

Hmmm - I may have to float the garage idea past her, no way will I get one in the kitchen.

Do you know they're called buffalo wings because they were popularized in Buffalo, NY? An absolute sh1thole of a city in the middle of the snow belt in upper NY state. We used to drive down there just to have the wings. The standard sports bar back then in Buffalo had no menu. If you asked for one they laughed and said 'we have wings and we have pizza. Tell us how hot you want the wings and what you want on your pizza'.

Pitchers of lager, buckets of hot wings, plates of pizza and the NFL games on about 25 screens. :cloud9:

Burney
02-10-2017, 11:07 AM
Same same. You can't wash the meat germ infested heating element bit, though.

You can give it a good scrub, though. And you're aware that the oil heats up to 200 degrees C, yes? Enough to kill pretty much any germ at all?

Burney
02-10-2017, 11:08 AM
Hmmm - I may have to float the garage idea past her, no way will I get one in the kitchen.

Do you know they're called buffalo wings because they were popularized in Buffalo, NY? An absolute sh1thole of a city in the middle of the snow belt in upper NY state. We used to drive down there just to have the wings. The standard sports bar back then in Buffalo had no menu. If you asked for one they laughed and said 'we have wings and we have pizza. Tell us how hot you want the wings and what you want on your pizza'.

Pitchers of lager, buckets of hot wings, plates of pizza and the NFL games on about 25 screens. :cloud9:

Presumably, some poor b@stard had to not drink? :-(

Sir C
02-10-2017, 11:10 AM

There is no doubt that the Yanqui has a decent grasp of junk food and breakfast, that much I will allow.

I am reminded of going in to breakfast on my first morning at the Clift in San Fran. The first item on the menu was an egg white omelette with spinach, so I immediately left, walked around the corner to a diner, sat at the counter and feated on hash and eggs and links and 'bacon'. Well, not really the 'bacon'.

Sir C
02-10-2017, 11:12 AM
You can give it a good scrub, though. And you're aware that the oil heats up to 200 degrees C, yes? Enough to kill pretty much any germ at all?

'give it a good scrub'? What, have I grown títs? Am I your mum?

Pat Vegas
02-10-2017, 11:12 AM

Here's what I'd do with a pork shoulder. Rub it with fennel, salt and pepper, slow roast it (overnight is best), then whack up the heat at the end to get top crackling. Then tear bits off it and the crackling off and serve on a bed of potato and butternut squash mash with crispy onions and a jus made from the cooking juices.

You're welcome.

I was thinking about that yesterday. I thought pulled pork would be a wonderful dish from all the hype.
looked nice but doesn't do anything for me.

Pat Vegas
02-10-2017, 11:13 AM

Costco do a massive tray of buffalo wings for £5 something they are ace.

Burney
02-10-2017, 11:13 AM
There is no doubt that the Yanqui has a decent grasp of junk food and breakfast, that much I will allow.

I am reminded of going in to breakfast on my first morning at the Clift in San Fran. The first item on the menu was an egg white omelette with spinach, so I immediately left, walked around the corner to a diner, sat at the counter and feated on hash and eggs and links and 'bacon'. Well, not really the 'bacon'.

Yes. Try as I might to sneer, there is something wonderfully exciting about an American breakfast menu. Its the sheer range of possibilities that does it, I think.

World's End Stella
02-10-2017, 11:14 AM
Presumably, some poor b@stard had to not drink? :-(

Exactly. :nod:

It was my mate who loved driving people down, giving them a brief tour of Buffalo then walking into the bar where he got a bit of the 'Norm from Cheers' treatment from the owners. He preferred this to getting hammered.

We always thought he was gay, tbh.

World's End Stella
02-10-2017, 11:18 AM
Yes. Try as I might to sneer, there is something wonderfully exciting about an American breakfast menu. Its the sheer range of possibilities that does it, I think.

Breakfast and lunch they do better than us, and casual food generally. Dinner gets a bit samey in the US of A. There are towns around the country where they only local restaurant option is the local prime rib place where you get prime rib, a baked potatoe and a salad bar. Damnably boring.

But breakfast, NY diners for lunch and sports bars for beer and casual food. :eat:

Burney
02-10-2017, 11:22 AM
Breakfast and lunch they do better than us, and casual food generally. Dinner gets a bit samey in the US of A. There are towns around the country where they only local restaurant option is the local prime rib place where you get prime rib, a baked potatoe and a salad bar. Damnably boring.

But breakfast, NY diners for lunch and sports bars for beer and casual food. :eat:

In my experience, to be sure to eat well in the states, one should eat nothing but breakfast, snack food, barbecue and sandwiches.

SWv2
02-10-2017, 11:27 AM

I went to a so called sports bar in NYC to watch our game v Utd around 2003/4, 1-1 draw anyway. I had scouted a suitable establishment in advance of my trip but of course when I found it turns out to be a major spot and thus jammers.

Needless to say you already know my view of watching football matches in pubs so this was arguably the worst such experience ever, surrounded by fúcking spastic Yanks spouting ****e and then having to pay a premium due to the concept of tipping every time I wanted a beer which from memory was quite a few as I was alone.

Wall to wall utter ****ery to be blunt.

Go London Arsenal!!

Go fúck yourself you idiot

ITSUPFORGRABSNOW
02-10-2017, 10:01 PM

Indeed, I went to a place in New Orleans famous for at least six versions of Eggs Benedict

redgunamo
02-10-2017, 10:26 PM
In my experience, to be sure to eat well in the states, one should eat nothing but breakfast, snack food, barbecue and sandwiches.

Yes, only to return home and sneer that America is so uncultured, crude and uncivilised that all anybody eats there is breakfast, snacks, barbecue and sandwiches :-\