PDA

View Full Version : Smudger

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
02-09-2017, 11:48 AM
Not sure if the writer has got that entirely right. All Arsenal fans will remember Smudger almost touching the ball :-)
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/09/golden-goal-alan-smith-for-arsenal-v-liverpool-1989?CMP=share_btn_tw

Monty92
02-09-2017, 11:54 AM
Not sure if the writer has got that entirely right. All Arsenal fans will remember Smudger almost touching the ball :-)
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/09/golden-goal-alan-smith-for-arsenal-v-liverpool-1989?CMP=share_btn_tw

Is that the Awimb book that's quoted in there?

“The biggest falsehood is that I actually briefly raised my flag and that this was the cause of the protests,” Barnwell said when interviewed in 2005 for the book ‘It’s Up For Grabs Now’.

02-09-2017, 11:59 AM
Is that the Awimb book that's quoted in there?

“The biggest falsehood is that I actually briefly raised my flag and that this was the cause of the protests,” Barnwell said when interviewed in 2005 for the book ‘It’s Up For Grabs Now’.

Good spot - it sounds about right for the time. I've got it somewhere, in the loft I think...

Monty92
02-09-2017, 12:03 PM
Good spot - it sounds about right for the time. I've got it somewhere, in the loft I think...

I should probably remember given that I did the interview with him!

Funnily enough I pulled out a copy the other day as my mum was badgering me about trying to get involved in the film project.

It's a great read.

Burney
02-09-2017, 12:07 PM

Weirdest thing I've ever heard about that game is Liverpool fans hating us for winning it when we were supposed to lose because Hillsborough. I've even seen them pretty much suggest we ought to have rolled over and that not doing so was somehow disrespectful to the 96 :rolleyes:

02-09-2017, 12:07 PM
I should probably remember given that I did the interview with him!

Funnily enough I pulled out a copy the other day as my mum was badgering me about trying to get involved in the film project.

It's a great read.

:nod: albeit most of the awimbers interviewed are long gone now :-(

Pat Vegas
02-09-2017, 12:08 PM
Weirdest thing I've ever heard about that game is Liverpool fans hating us for winning it when we were supposed to lose because Hillsborough. I've even seen them pretty much suggest we ought to have rolled over and that not doing so was somehow disrespectful to the 96 :rolleyes:

Perhaps we could have had european glory in the years English clubs were banned because of them.

02-09-2017, 12:12 PM

All Liverpoo fans are cùnts, B. To a man. Including my wife.

Monty92
02-09-2017, 12:12 PM

I think crushing their hopes right at the death was a bit insensitive

Burney
02-09-2017, 12:15 PM
I think crushing their hopes right at the death was a bit insensitive

:hehe: Yeah, it left us with a lot of fences to mend.

IUFG
02-09-2017, 12:16 PM
they love a bit of grief them Scousers...

Monty92
:nod: albeit most of the awimbers interviewed are long gone now :-(

Like, dead? :-o

redgunamo
All Liverpoo fans are cùnts, B. To a man. Including my wife.

*Is* she a man, G?

NTTAWWIIMO.

02-09-2017, 12:18 PM
*Is* she a man, G?

NTTAWWIIMO.

No, unlike your mum.

02-09-2017, 12:19 PM
Like, dead? :-o

One would hope not, but statistically speaking one or two may well be.

Monty92
02-09-2017, 12:23 PM
One would hope not, but statistically speaking one or two may well be.

Actually, isn't the Scouse bint from The Royale Family (not Aherne, the mother) in there and didn't she croak recently?

Burney
02-09-2017, 12:24 PM
Actually, isn't the Scouse bint from The Royale Family (not Aherne, the mother) in there and didn't she croak recently?

Sue Johnston? No, she's alive, I think.

02-09-2017, 12:24 PM
Liz Smith? Can't remember if she's in there...but yes, she did croak at age 86 recently. The scousers probably wore their armbands.

redgunamo
02-09-2017, 12:26 PM
No, unlike your mum.

You've heard the stories too :-(

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
02-09-2017, 02:31 PM

I always thought the big ball shaped mark on the side of his face gave it away?

redgunamo
02-09-2017, 03:34 PM

Yes, it sounds even more satisfying that way, doesn't it.