PDA

View Full Version : We will not be buying Joe Hart anyway #WengerPresser

redgunamo
02-09-2017, 10:06 AM
Sorry if that's disappointing news to anyone here :-|

Monty92
02-09-2017, 10:15 AM

Oh god, I'd forgotten about Arsenal for the past couple of days. Do we have to play a match this weekend or are we going to get special dispensation on the grounds of acute sh*tc*ntery?

Luis Anaconda
02-09-2017, 10:16 AM

ffs - another presser, does that mean another game at the weekend #toomuchfootball

redgunamo
02-09-2017, 10:20 AM
Oh god, I'd forgotten about Arsenal for the past couple of days. Do we have to play a match this weekend or are we going to get special dispensation on the grounds of acute sh*tc*ntery?

I gather the team intends to pass by the Emirates on Saturday lunchtime on its way to the shops. The idea is, I think, to pop in and pick up three points and perhaps a spot of lunch.

Relaxed, you see. The title is still very much on.

redgunamo
02-09-2017, 10:22 AM
ffs - another presser, does that mean another game at the weekend #toomuchfootball

So much for doing our talking on the pitch. Maybe we should try playing our football in the press conferences :rubchin:

Pat Vegas
02-09-2017, 10:43 AM
So much for doing our talking on the pitch. Maybe we should try playing our football in the press conferences :rubchin:

:hehe: anymore questions? no? then he blasts a ball around the room.

SWv2
02-09-2017, 11:34 AM
I was completely unaware until Monday/Tuesday of this week that Bayern are very much on the horizon.

At least we only have Hull this weekend so can rest players in preparation.

redgunamo
02-09-2017, 11:43 AM
I was completely unaware until Monday/Tuesday of this week that Bayern are very much on the horizon.

Hull City is more difficult than Bayern, imo. You know where you are with them, whereas Hull are capable of anything.

Luis Anaconda
02-09-2017, 11:47 AM

We should rest players v Bayern for the Sutton match - Munich is in turmoil. Uli and Karl-Heinz might have to get their boots on

SWv2
02-09-2017, 11:50 AM
Hull City is more difficult than Bayern, imo. You know where you are with them, whereas Hull are capable of anything.

I am not comparing ease of victory my Anglo-French-German friend (you’re a bit of a mystery R, in a good way).

We are not going to win the Premiership, we all know that, even Arsene I suspect.

We could believe it or not win the CL and to do so we need to maximise our chances v Bayern, so we need our very best 11. Does that require resting some this weekend, perhaps not. They have had a week off in advance.

In a slight twist to your opening sentence I would suggest you need to be a better team to win the PL than you do to win the CL.

Sir C
02-09-2017, 11:52 AM
I am not comparing ease of victory my Anglo-French-German friend (you’re a bit of a mystery R, in a good way).

We are not going to win the Premiership, we all know that, even Arsene I suspect.

We could believe it or not win the CL and to do so we need to maximise our chances v Bayern, so we need our very best 11. Does that require resting some this weekend, perhaps not. They have had a week off in advance.

In a slight twist to your opening sentence I would suggest you need to be a better team to win the PL than you do to win the CL.

:nod: Leicester are much better than Real Madrid.

SWv2
02-09-2017, 11:56 AM

The level of consistency to win a 38 game campaign is higher than that needed to win a cup competition.

redgunamo
02-09-2017, 11:56 AM

Indeed. You never see Real Madrid winning the Premier League, do you.

redgunamo
02-09-2017, 12:04 PM

I just mean that the league games must always be paramount and we should allow the cup competitions to take care of themselves. The players and the club would probably disagree though mind.

Sir C
02-09-2017, 12:04 PM
The level of consistency to win a 38 game campaign is higher than that needed to win a cup competition.

It certainly is. Whether consistency is harder to achieve than brilliance is another question.

Pat Vegas
02-09-2017, 12:06 PM
Indeed. You never see Real Madrid winning the Premier League, do you.

and what makes you think they can't win the premier league my friend? :vsign: :driving: ;-)

redgunamo
02-09-2017, 12:09 PM
It certainly is. Whether consistency is harder to achieve than brilliance is another question.

In a way, they're one and the same thing. Leicester City's consistency last season could be described as "brilliant" certainly. Whereas Real Madrid's brilliance failed to win them their own league; clearly they were lacking a little bit the consistency.

SWv2
02-09-2017, 12:11 PM
I just mean that the league games must always be paramount and we should allow the cup competitions to take care of themselves. The players and the club would probably disagree though mind.

I have always personally though the League more important than CL and put more value in (hoping to) win the thing.

Others I know are almost obsessed with European success as it is largely seen as being the pinnacle of club football, certainly players seem to think so. It is also missing from our CV and is one reason why we will continue to be seen or deemed below others.

The FA Cup will no doubt at all take care of itself as you say, until the next round that is.

I think we can over two legs beat Bayern but we will need to be at our very best in both games, especially the very key players. Koscielny for example has been pish the last few matches but gets overlooked because he is Koscielny and is exempt from the massive scrutiny of other players.

Ash
02-09-2017, 12:17 PM

I wonder if the manager knows what his best eleven is? I'm not sure it's even about the best eleven players, as about ones that play together as a team, which we have struggled to do for some time. We don't have a functioning midfield, we can't adapt quickly enough between zipping it around a mobile front three, or hoofing it up / whipping it in to the big lad (until desperation sets in at the end). Our first choice keeper is looking ropey. We don't have a proper backup RB and we miss Bellerin. Actually we do in Debuchy but he's never in the squad.

I know that average but lucky teams have won the CL in the past but I can't see this lot doing it. Their record against decent sides in recent years includes very few wins.

redgunamo
02-09-2017, 12:21 PM
I wonder if the manager knows what his best eleven is? I'm not sure it's even about the best eleven players, as about ones that play together as a team, which we have struggled to do for some time. We don't have a functioning midfield, we can't adapt quickly enough between zipping it around a mobile front three, or hoofing it up / whipping it in to the big lad (until desperation sets in at the end). Our first choice keeper is looking ropey. We don't have a proper backup RB and we miss Bellerin. Actually we do in Debuchy but he's never in the squad.

I know that average but lucky teams have won the CL in the past but I can't see this lot doing it. Their record against decent sides in recent years includes very few wins.

Yeah, it's all about clean sheets, innit. All the top teams can score goals.

Luis Anaconda
02-09-2017, 12:51 PM

Good lord - how are Earth are we not in the relegation places

redgunamo
02-09-2017, 01:02 PM

The game's all about money nowadays, innit.

Ash
02-09-2017, 02:41 PM

The context of my post whether the team can win the champions league, not whether we can stay in the first division. :shrug:

Against big sides we have been good against Chelsea at home before they got themselves into their groove, and that's all. Poor against Chelsea, Man U, Man C, Everton & PSG away, poor against Liverpool and Tottenham at home. Meh against PSG at home.

Sir C
02-09-2017, 02:46 PM
The context of my post whether the team can win the champions league, not whether we can stay in the first division. :shrug:

Against big sides we have been good against Chelsea at home before they got themselves into their groove, and that's all. Poor against Chelsea, Man U, Man C, Everton & PSG away, poor against Liverpool and Tottenham at home. Meh against PSG at home.

One cannot help but notice, dear a, that you are in the mother of shítty moods today.

Come, pull up a chair and tell us what ails thee. A problem shared is a problem halved, as the sages would tell us.

Here, have a tissue and I'll make you a cup of tea.

Burney
02-09-2017, 02:50 PM
One cannot help but notice, dear a, that you are in the mother of shítty moods today.

Come, pull up a chair and tell us what ails thee. A problem shared is a problem halved, as the sages would tell us.

I'm with a. His day started badly with that dreadful Yanqui telling us why we voted Leave. I had to be quite short with him. a was even shorter, calling him an 'odious prick', which I rather liked. :hehe:

Sir C
02-09-2017, 02:54 PM
I'm with a. His day started badly with that dreadful Yanqui telling us why we voted Leave. I had to be quite short with him. a was even shorter, calling him an 'odious prick', which I rather liked. :hehe:

Yes, I rather enjoyed that. I have a definite soft spot for the word 'odious' because, somewhere in the back of my brain, it carries with it the idea of calling someone smelly :hehe:

Burney
02-09-2017, 02:56 PM
Yes, I rather enjoyed that. I have a definite soft spot for the word 'odious' because, somewhere in the back of my brain, it carries with it the idea of calling someone smelly :hehe:

Yes, one can of course be both odious and odiferous, but to use both epithets would seem like over-egging the pudding somewhat, wouldn't it?

Ash
02-09-2017, 02:57 PM

It was the Watford game what dunnit. :-(

Losing at the Bridge to a fine Chelsea side who will walk the league this year is disappointing but manageable. Losing at home to Watford AGAIN has made me lose faith. It was so like Swansea last season, And Watford in the cup.

We have the quality and depth, I'd thought. The machine isn't working though.

Ash
02-09-2017, 02:59 PM

Yes, non-footballistically, that didn't help. :hehe: A few weeks ago he said there were no black people in Britain.

Sir C
02-09-2017, 03:06 PM
It was the Watford game what dunnit. :-(

Losing at the Bridge to a fine Chelsea side who will walk the league this year is disappointing but manageable. Losing at home to Watford AGAIN has made me lose faith. It was so like Swansea last season, And Watford in the cup.

We have the quality and depth, I'd thought. The machine isn't working though.

Perfectly understandable old chap. It's enough to make the strongest man peer into the abyss, contemplating why one bothers.

Picture yourself, on a soft May morning at dawn, listening to the birdsong as you look up at the slope of Skiddaw, knowing that before long you will be looking down from the summit, the mighty mountain grovelling at your feet, defeated and cowed, rolling over to receive your mighty weapon; you take your just rewards, plunging ever more frantically into the fell's soft moistness, your shaft spearing your adversary deeper, ever deeper until! with a final frantic push you climax together, your seed pumping to the very depths of the earth, possibly causing earthquakes and a tsunami of semen in Cockermouth.

Better now?

Burney
02-09-2017, 03:08 PM
Yes, non-footballistically, that didn't help. :hehe: A few weeks ago he said there were no black people in Britain.

Yes, he does seem to consider himself quite the expert on the UK with his one or two visits. :hehe:

redgunamo
02-09-2017, 03:08 PM
Perfectly understandable old chap. It's enough to make the strongest man peer into the abyss, contemplating why one bothers.

Picture yourself, on a soft May morning at dawn, listening to the birdsong as you look up at the slope of Skiddaw, knowing that before long you will be looking down from the summit, the mighty mountain grovelling at your feet, defeated and cowed, rolling over to receive your mighty weapon; you take your just rewards, plunging ever more frantically into the fell's soft moistness, your shaft spearing your adversary deeper, ever deeper until! with a final frantic push you climax together, your seed pumping to the very depths of the earth, possibly causing earthquakes and a tsunami of semen in Cockermouth.

Better now?

Yes, some of us have only recently returned from lunch :-|

Sir C
02-09-2017, 03:10 PM
Yes, some of us have only recently returned from lunch :-|

I do think of mountains (hills, really) as women, to be defeated and then firmly rogered, r. Doesn't everyone?

Burney
02-09-2017, 03:13 PM

Better now?

Wainwright's Wànks?

redgunamo
02-09-2017, 03:14 PM
I do think of mountains (hills, really) as women, to be defeated and then firmly rogered, r. Doesn't everyone?

I'm sure I have no idea what you mean. I'm a married man.

Burney
02-09-2017, 03:15 PM

Not really. They are proud protuberances penetrating the sky, surely? Basically, by climbing them, you are taking the female part and worshipping the regenerative phallic principle.

Sir C
02-09-2017, 03:16 PM
Wainwright's Wànks?

It would add a certain something to bagging Wainwrights, wouldn't it? And it would certainly seperate the men from the boys. A chap capable of knocking one out at the top of Helvellyn in a howling gale in November would certainly gain my respect.

Burney
02-09-2017, 03:16 PM
I'm sure I have no idea what you mean. I'm a married man.

Besides which, for most of the year if you whipped it out up Skiddaw, you wouldn't have it long. Frostbite would see to that.

Sir C
02-09-2017, 03:17 PM
Not really. They are proud protuberances penetrating the sky, surely? Basically, by climbing them, you are taking the female part and worshipping the regenerative phallic principle.

Nonsense. I tell them on the way up, I say, 'I'm going to climb you and then I'm going to fúck you.' This causes the glw to mutter grim warnings about angering the mountain, but I haven't been beaten yet.

Burney
02-09-2017, 03:18 PM
It would add a certain something to bagging Wainwrights, wouldn't it? And it would certainly seperate the men from the boys. A chap capable of knocking one out at the top of Helvellyn in a howling gale in November would certainly gain my respect.

Years ago I did suggest to R a Viz sketch by that name that would involve Wainwright forever climbing up mountains in search of a quiet one off the wrist, only to be constantly interrupted by hikers, dogs, picnickers and the like. It quite tickled me at the time.

Burney
02-09-2017, 03:19 PM
Nonsense. I tell them on the way up, I say, 'I'm going to climb you and then I'm going to fúck you.' This causes the glw to mutter grim warnings about angering the mountain, but I haven't been beaten yet.

It sounds a bit...well...rapey, to be honest. :-( Are the mountains consenting?

Sir C
02-09-2017, 03:21 PM
It sounds a bit...well...rapey, to be honest. :-( Are the mountains consenting?

Of course they're not, that's the whole point! Like all good sex, it is a matter of overpowering the victim by physical force.

Sir C
02-09-2017, 03:22 PM
Years ago I did suggest to R a Viz sketch by that name that would involve Wainwright forever climbing up mountains in search of a quiet one off the wrist, only to be constantly interrupted by hikers, dogs, picnickers and the like. It quite tickled me at the time.

Very nice. I shall forever keep that image with me.

Burney
02-09-2017, 03:24 PM
Of course they're not, that's the whole point! Like all good sex, it is a matter of overpowering the victim by physical force.

:nod: And hoping your knees hold up.

Ash
02-09-2017, 03:53 PM

:nono:

They're more like boobies. Earth goddess and all that.

Especially Bow Fell.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/20/Bow_Fell_from_Lingcove.JPG/271px-Bow_Fell_from_Lingcove.JPG

Burney
02-09-2017, 03:59 PM
:nono:

They're more like boobies. Earth goddess and all that.

Especially Bow Fell.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/20/Bow_Fell_from_Lingcove.JPG/271px-Bow_Fell_from_Lingcove.JPG

Mrs a will not be happy if you tell her you think that looks like her upstairs arrangements, a. :-(

Mind you, you're right. Grand Teton and all that.

Ash
02-09-2017, 04:22 PM
Mrs a will not be happy if you tell her you think that looks like her upstairs arrangements, a. :-(

Mind you, you're right. Grand Teton and all that.

Oh, we* always mention that resemblance when we pick it out on the skyline from another fell.

*Possibly just me.

Funnily enough, when we passed near the famous 'Bishop of Barf' rock while descending from Barf, near Bassenthwaite Lake, she observed that it looked more like a phallus than a bishop. I didn't explain the sometimes-used pseudomym.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/92/The_Bishop_of_Barf.jpg/300px-The_Bishop_of_Barf.jpg

Burney
02-09-2017, 04:26 PM
Oh, we* always mention that resemblance when we pick it out on the skyline from another fell.

*Possibly just me.

Funnily enough, when we passed near the famous 'Bishop of Barf' rock while descending from Barf, near Bassenthwaite Lake, she observed that it looked more like a phallus than a bishop. I didn't explain the sometimes-used pseudomym.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/92/The_Bishop_of_Barf.jpg/300px-The_Bishop_of_Barf.jpg

I'm concerned about the state of your phallus now, a. :-(

redgunamo
02-10-2017, 11:35 PM
I have always personally though the League more important than CL and put more value in (hoping to) win the thing.

Others I know are almost obsessed with European success as it is largely seen as being the pinnacle of club football, certainly players seem to think so. It is also missing from our CV and is one reason why we will continue to be seen or deemed below others.

The FA Cup will no doubt at all take care of itself as you say, until the next round that is.

I think we can over two legs beat Bayern but we will need to be at our very best in both games, especially the very key players. Koscielny for example has been pish the last few matches but gets overlooked because he is Koscielny and is exempt from the massive scrutiny of other players.

As ever in life and in love, the difficult stuff we can do right now, however the impossible may take time.