PDA

View Full Version : Why the 'And Leicester' in the we all follow the arsenal chant?

Pat Vegas
02-08-2017, 01:53 PM
I have no idea.

Luis Anaconda
02-08-2017, 01:58 PM
I have no idea.

Purportedly because of a sign on M1 that used to say "To the North and Leicester" on it

Pokster
02-08-2017, 02:10 PM
Purportedly because of a sign on M1 that used to say "To the North and Leicester" on it

I thought it was due to replays of our long running semi final with Liverpool being held in Leicester

Luis Anaconda
02-08-2017, 02:13 PM
I thought it was due to replays of our long running semi final with Liverpool being held in Leicester

Long been sung by Chelsea and other London fans as well though

Pokster
02-08-2017, 02:23 PM
Long been sung by Chelsea and other London fans as well though

I'm not a deviant who listens to them

Yesterday Once More
02-08-2017, 02:25 PM
None of the four FA Cup semi-final matches against Liverpool in 1980 were in Leicester.

The previous season, however, it took us five games to get past the (then) old 3rd Division Sheffield Wednesday in the 3rd round. In those days, if the match was drawn after a replay then any further replays took place at a neutral ground. In January 1979, the whole country was gripped by snow, and Leicester's Filbert Street was one of the few grounds where football was possible thanks to their giant hot air balloon which protected the pitch. We drew our 2nd replay 2-2 after extra time on the Monday; two days later we went back there and drew 3-3 after extra time; five days later (the following Monday) we went back yet again to Leicester and finally saw them off, 2-0.

We went on to win the competition that year, beating Man United in the final thanks to the dramatic last-gasp winner by Alan Sunderland.

If ever there was an argument against the lottery of penalty shoot-outs after the first replay, that was it.

Hence "and Leicester"!!

Pokster
02-08-2017, 02:26 PM
None of the four FA Cup semi-final matches against Liverpool in 1980 were in Leicester.

The previous season, however, it took us five games to get past the (then) old 3rd Division Sheffield Wednesday in the 3rd round. In those days, if the match was drawn after a replay then any further replays took place at a neutral ground. In January 1979, the whole country was gripped by snow, and Leicester's Filbert Street was one of the few grounds where football was possible thanks to their giant hot air balloon which protected the pitch. We drew our 2nd replay 2-2 after extra time on the Monday; two days later we went back there and drew 3-3 after extra time; five days later (the following Monday) we went back yet again to Leicester and finally saw them off, 2-0.

We went on to win the competition that year, beating Man United in the final thanks to the dramatic last-gasp winner by Alan Sunderland.

If ever there was an argument against the lottery of penalty shoot-outs after the first replay, that was it.

Hence "and Leicester"!!

I knew it was some long winded FA cup match

Ash
02-08-2017, 02:42 PM
Hence "and Leicester"!!

Doesn't explain why other clubs sing it though.

Yesterday Once More
02-08-2017, 02:51 PM
All I can say is, we coined it. Football fans throughout the ages are shameless magpies when it comes to chants, probably because it saves having to make up original ones.

We're as guilty as most. West Ham fans were less than impressed when we nicked their "We've got Payet" chant last season. Then it spread like wildfire.

Even the most sung of songs at Arsenal over the past 30 years "Ar-se-nal, Ar-se-nal Ar-se-nal" (aka Earwig-o, Earwig-o, Earwig-o) to the tune of the American "Stars and Stripes Forever" was originally used by (drum roll).......Tottenham fans in around 1981 or so (Archi-bald, Archi-bald, Archi-bald).

IUFG
02-08-2017, 03:35 PM
are you suggesting Arsenal fans are spineless and mentally weak copycats? ;-)

you are Criag Burley and I claim my £5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qmw_bhDji0

redgunamo
02-08-2017, 03:53 PM
Doesn't explain why other clubs sing it though.

It also doesn't explain why can't have a giant hot air balloon of our very own, now we're rich :-(

Ash
02-08-2017, 03:54 PM
It also doesn't explain why can't have a giant hot air balloon of our very own, now we're rich :-(

We do. It's called Arsene Wenger.

Ha ha.

Ha ha.

Ha.

:-|

redgunamo
02-08-2017, 04:01 PM
We do. It's called Arsene Wenger.

Ha ha.

Ha ha.

Ha.

:-|

Very good.

My word and here it is! It appears to cover more ground than Kante

http://c7.alamy.com/comp/ET0B2Y/the-balloon-went-at-filbert-street-on-14th-april-home-of-leicester-ET0B2Y.jpg

Ash
02-08-2017, 04:11 PM
Very good.

Blatantly just a cheapo version of our pioneering under soil heating.

Pat Vegas
02-08-2017, 04:13 PM
Blatantly just a cheapo version of our pioneering under soil heating.

I wonder if all Tottenham managers mothers are really all whores like the songs suggest.

Pat Vegas
02-08-2017, 04:15 PM
Very good.

http://c7.alamy.com/comp/ET0B2Y/the-balloon-went-at-filbert-street-on-14th-april-home-of-leicester-ET0B2Y.jpg

Ah the good old days when Arsenal played at the Alamy stadium. The good old days where Cliff Bastin would play up front with Ian Wright.

:plastic:

redgunamo
02-08-2017, 04:48 PM

Hence "and Leicester"!!

Great post.