PDA

View Full Version : Winter is coming.

Sir C
02-07-2017, 10:02 AM
The Beast From The East is to bring us an Icey Blast by the weekend.

We can only hope that our game against Hull is postponed. A 12:30 kick off against a resurgent Hull is exactly what we don't need right now.

Pokster
02-07-2017, 10:04 AM

We can only hope that our game against Hull is postponed. A 12:30 kick off against a resurgent Hull is exactly what we don't need right now.

MTFU imho.

Luis Anaconda
02-07-2017, 10:06 AM

It will be a balmy seven degrees when we take on Mighty Bayern next week - no gloves on show

redgunamo
02-07-2017, 10:11 AM

No worries. They just sold him to West Ham United.

Pat Vegas
02-07-2017, 10:17 AM

I hope we lose again.

Sir C
02-07-2017, 10:28 AM
I hope we lose again.

You seek the crisis, f? You yearn for the cleansing fire of the apocalypse? There may be many who share your view.

I'm more of a 'be careful what you wish for' type.

Jake
02-07-2017, 10:29 AM

I've put my ticket on the exchange. I can't be arsed with them. Absolute bunch of doughnuts.

redgunamo
02-07-2017, 10:30 AM
I hope we lose again.

Our form between now and season's end will be excellent, imo. We may even put Bayern out of Europe and win the Cup. #BringIt

Billy Goat Sverige
02-07-2017, 10:31 AM

All because of high pressure sitting over Scandinavia, which means i'm getting -10'C temps and not a bit of snow :(

redgunamo
02-07-2017, 10:31 AM
You seek the crisis, f? You yearn for the cleansing fire of the apocalypse? There may be many who share your view.

I'm more of a 'be careful what you wish for' type.

How do you mean?

Pokster
02-07-2017, 10:33 AM
Our form between now and season's end will be excellent, imo. We may even put Bayern out of Europe and win the Cup. #BringIt

Another bad result and I will be seeking removal of the sticky

Sir C
02-07-2017, 10:33 AM
How do you mean?

f clearly wishes to see Wenger's position to become untenable so that a change is inevitable.

I simply counsel caution in this respect, for one knows not who might succeed him, and what the consequences of this succession might be.

Sir C
02-07-2017, 10:34 AM
All because of high pressure sitting over Scandinavia, which means i'm getting -10'C temps and not a bit of snow :(

Is there 3 feet of snow on the ground, though?

Pat Vegas
02-07-2017, 10:36 AM
f clearly wishes to see Wenger's position to become untenable so that a change is inevitable.

I simply counsel caution in this respect, for one knows not who might succeed him, and what the consequences of this succession might be.

Yes, Perhaps I am selfish but it's all very boring. I love watching The Arsenal. But it's all becoming extremely underwhelming.

Billy Goat Sverige
02-07-2017, 10:39 AM
Is there 3 feet of snow on the ground, though?

Nope. We had 1ft of snow in November which melted away during December and then another 20cm at the beginning of January and about half of that has melted. We've had a milder than average winter.

Pat Vegas
02-07-2017, 10:39 AM

We may go on a good run when the pressure is off. It's the same we always give the 2nd leg once the tie is already over in the first leg.
But we will not beat Bayern.

As for the FA cup.

Burnley v Lincoln City
Fulham v Tottenham Hotspur
Blackburn Rovers v Manchester United
Sutton United v Arsenal
Middlesbrough v Oxford United
Wolverhampton Wanderers v Chelsea
Huddersfield Town v Manchester City
Millwall v Derby County or Leicester City

unless some of the big ones go out in those games we have no chance.

World's End Stella
02-07-2017, 10:41 AM
Yes, Perhaps I am selfish but it's all very boring. I love watching The Arsenal. But it's all becoming extremely underwhelming.

That's right, Pat. Give me an exciting relegation battle over the monotony of knowing what will happen and why it will happen year after year after year.

I've lost count of the number of Gooners I know who simply don't watch and don't care anymore. If anything suggests we need a change it is that.

Sir C
02-07-2017, 10:41 AM
Nope. We had 1ft of snow in November which melted away during December and then another 20cm at the beginning of January and about half of that has melted. We've had a milder than average winter.

Must be global warming tbh. We're doomed, I believe.

Sir C
02-07-2017, 10:42 AM
That's right, Pat. Give me an exciting relegation battle over the monotony of knowing what will happen and why it will happen year after year after year.

I've lost count of the number of Gooners I know who simply don't watch and don't care anymore. If anything suggests we need a change it is that.

How many of these 'Gooners' do you know in total, would you say? The number must be simply enormous if you can't even count how many of them have turned their backs on the club.

Remarkable.

Pat Vegas
02-07-2017, 10:43 AM
How many of these 'Gooners' do you know in total, would you say? The number must be simply enormous if you can't even count how many of them have turned their backs on the club.

Remarkable.

However there is a connection on here between the last few years and the increasing number of awimbers who have lost interest in football.

not a coincidence.

redgunamo
02-07-2017, 10:47 AM

OK, point taken. But, as Hillary Clinton would say, at this point, what difference does it make?

Sir C
02-07-2017, 10:48 AM
However there is a connection on here between the last few years and the increasing number of awimbers who have lost interest in football.

not a coincidence.

I'll tell you what Clive, a football supporter who loses interest in football because of consistent 4th place finishes, an FA cup here or there and watching the likes of Mesut Ozil really wants to have a thought for supporters of Aston Villa, Everton, Burnley or Southampton. Or perhaps Halifax Town, or Preston North End, or Reading.

Luis Anaconda
02-07-2017, 10:48 AM

not a coincidence.
There were awimbers interested in football? Deviants, p - the lot of them

redgunamo
02-07-2017, 10:50 AM
We may go on a good run when the pressure is off. It's the same we always give the 2nd leg once the tie is already over in the first leg.
But we will not beat Bayern.

As for the FA cup.

Burnley v Lincoln City
Fulham v Tottenham Hotspur
Blackburn Rovers v Manchester United
Sutton United v Arsenal
Middlesbrough v Oxford United
Wolverhampton Wanderers v Chelsea
Huddersfield Town v Manchester City
Millwall v Derby County or Leicester City

unless some of the big ones go out in those games we have no chance.

You never know. The Magic of the Cup and a' that.

redgunamo
02-07-2017, 10:54 AM
Another bad result and I will be seeking removal of the sticky

As bad as that, eh :-(

Pat Vegas
02-07-2017, 10:59 AM
You never know. The Magic of the Cup and a' that.

Burnley v Arsenal final imo

Burnley get justice for their 2 questionable league decisions.

redgunamo
02-07-2017, 10:59 AM
I'll tell you what Clive, a football supporter who loses interest in football because of consistent 4th place finishes, an FA cup here or there and watching the likes of Mesut Ozil really wants to have a thought for supporters of Aston Villa, Everton, Burnley or Southampton. Or perhaps Halifax Town, or Preston North End, or Reading.

It's t'other way about, I reckon. Support also exists despite the lack of those things; they really make no difference.

Or are you saying if Mesut leaves, we don't win anything and also drop out of the top four, you'll stop going?

World's End Stella
02-07-2017, 11:02 AM

As I said, Charles, it's the monotony of it all that is driving them away. I should have thought Villa fans had a rather exciting, although ultimately disappointing, season last year.

Plus, we are the Arsenal, so we have higher expectations. It's important that, I think.

Sir C
02-07-2017, 11:02 AM
It's t'other way about, I reckon. Support also exists despite the lack of those things; they really make no difference.

Or are you saying if Mesut leaves, we don't win anything and also drop out of the top four, you'll stop going?

Bless you, I stopped going 4 or 5 years ago when I couldn't cope with the moaning any more.

It also started to feel a little anachronistic; is a gentleman of a certain age to join in with the singing, abuse and general rumbunctuousness, or behave with the quiet dignity appropriate to his age and social standing?

In short, it's a young person's pursuit.

SWv2
02-07-2017, 11:03 AM
OK, point taken. But, as Hillary Clinton would say, at this point, what difference does it make?

That was The Smiths R, easy mistake to make all the same.

Wenger out.

redgunamo
02-07-2017, 11:05 AM

Don't you worry your pretty little head, B. The climate's in good, capable hands

http://i.imgur.com/xXwmajJg.jpg

Sir C
02-07-2017, 11:05 AM
As I said, Charles, it's the monotony of it all that is driving them away. I should have thought Villa fans had a rather exciting, although ultimately disappointing, season last year.

Plus, we are the Arsenal, so we have higher expectations. It's important that, I think.

Yes, I suppose those who started watching football after Euro 96 probably do have 'higher expectations'. The arrogance and sheer naiveté of such a view is, frankly, distressing to contemplate.

SWv2
02-07-2017, 11:06 AM

I know a Villa fan.

On Saturday past I called round his house around 6pm and he answered the door in his Villa jersey, they were on the television playing Forest I think. Now he had changed into his shirt for the game as he had been round my gaff about 3 hours earlier in normal attire. In his defence he was also drinking beer.

Thing is half-time arrived and he then took it upon himself to show me his new Scalextrix set. This is neither euphemism nor word of a lie. God's honest truth, as such, if you believe in God. I don't for the record.

In short a fúcking massive deviant but not a bad man.

I made good my exit.

redgunamo
02-07-2017, 11:17 AM

I think there's always been something of an essential disconnect between Wenger's later-period football, His philosophy, if you will, and what the supporters want and expect to see, footballistically.

It was OK at first because of the success He'd enjoyed in the recent past; people let it go and were fascinated to see what would happen and if we really could dominate football, or at least win the European Cup.

Now though, as you suggest, things have moved on a bit. Nobody really wants to see Him or us tank but the resentment stems, I think, from the fact that the answer seems to be staring everyone in the face; just go back to doing what He used to do when He was God.

redgunamo
02-07-2017, 11:19 AM
Yes, I suppose those who started watching football after Euro 96 probably do have 'higher expectations'. The arrogance and sheer naiveté of such a view is, frankly, distressing to contemplate.

Much of the moaning comes from the old guard though, doesn't it. And you yourself admit you no longer care to attend.

World's End Stella
02-07-2017, 11:23 AM
I think there's always been something of an essential disconnect between Wenger's later-period football, His philosophy, if you will, and what the supporters want and expect to see, footballistically.

It was OK at first because of the success He'd enjoyed in the recent past; people let it go and were fascinated to see what would happen and if we really could dominate football, or at least win the European Cup.

Now though, as you suggest, things have moved on a bit. Nobody really wants to see Him or us tank but the resentment stems, I think, from the fact that the answer seems to be staring everyone in the face; just go back to doing what He used to do when He was God.

Good one, red. Insightful, accurate, well written, well played.

I assume this is one of your 'sane' days? :-)