PDA

View Full Version : In one days work I have built a report that saves at least a hundred hours a year

Ash
02-03-2017, 04:26 PM
for a department. They are very happy and called me a 'legend'.

This makes working life meaningful and containing value and worth, and is the flip side to being a bit bored. It makes me happy too.

Advancing the forces of production. :cloud9:

Sir C
02-03-2017, 04:28 PM

This makes working life meaningful and containing value and worth, and is the flip side to being a bit bored. It makes me happy too.

Yes. You realise that 'saves a hundred hours a year' actually means 'saves paying someone 100 hours salary a year', don't you?

All this computer nonsense can't end well. We're designing ourselves out of our own jobs, for Christ's sake.

World's End Stella
02-03-2017, 04:33 PM
Yes. You realise that 'saves a hundred hours a year' actually means 'saves paying someone 100 hours salary a year', don't you?

All this computer nonsense can't end well. We're designing ourselves out of our own jobs, for Christ's sake.

Ignore the technically challenged troglodyte, Ash. Well done, you. Your delivery will no doubt save some talented individual from slaving away at a dull, repetitive task and allow them to spend more time adding value to your company and their clients.

Without technology we are lost. FACT

Pat Vegas

If a computer can do it. Does it need to be done? :shrug: can't another computer read it.

SWv2

Impressive nerding there A.

Pat Vegas
02-03-2017, 04:36 PM
Ignore the technically challenged troglodyte, Ash. Well done, you. Your delivery will no doubt save some talented individual from slaving away at a dull, repetitive task and allow them to spend more time on adding value to your company and their clients.

Without technology we are lost. FACT

But with technology some things are actually slower.
before email I found you used to get responses to tasks done quicker.

Now there is a sort of unwritten rule of allowing people time to reply.
If you email someone you are not really gonna keep emailing them repeatedly. in my industry it's impossible to get an answer over the phone you used to be able to. I used to get replies to faxes quicker than I do emails.

and why is it so difficult to get anybody on the phone? everyone is in a 'meeting' or 'away from their desk'

Pat Vegas
02-03-2017, 04:38 PM

I also think a lot of other time would be saved if people would stop speaking in weird office speak.

Somebody asked me for help with a project. Rather than say 'can you help with this'
I had a email arranging a meeting for a call.
when I called they asked.

'do you have any capacity to assist'
Capacity? Capacity?

Sir C
02-03-2017, 04:39 PM
But with technology some things are actually slower.
before email I found you used to get responses to tasks done quicker.

Now there is a sort of unwritten rule of allowing people time to reply.
If you email someone you are not really gonna keep emailing them repeatedly. in my industry it's impossible to get an answer over the phone you used to be able to. I used to get replies to faxes quicker than I do emails.

and why is it so difficult to get anybody on the phone? everyone is in a 'meeting' or 'away from their desk'

It seems to me that we were promised computers as a tool, but now they take precedence inasmuch as business can only be done by means of 'the system'. The system decides what we can do and how we can do it, rather than US deciding and the system making it easier for us to do so.

It doesn't really matter to me as I'll be retired soon, but I wonder what younger people will do for work in the future.

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
02-03-2017, 04:44 PM

They'll be calling you a cvnt when they discover your program isn't prescient enough to know what they meant even when they squirt undiluted garbage into it.

Ash
02-03-2017, 04:47 PM

Well, the way it works in this case is that the department in question work hundreds, probably thousands of hours unpaid over a year for their evil overlords. I am merely giving them back some of their own time.

You certainly have a point though. I have to be careful not to automate myself out of a job, and of course, ultimately, capitalism cannot cope with a fully automated means of production. As the song goes, which I wrote myself as a matter of fact: "If no-one worked they wouldn't get paid / to buy the things the robots made".

Pat Vegas
02-03-2017, 04:47 PM
It seems to me that we were promised computers as a tool, but now they take precedence inasmuch as business can only be done by means of 'the system'. The system decides what we can do and how we can do it, rather than US deciding and the system making it easier for us to do so.

It doesn't really matter to me as I'll be retired soon, but I wonder what younger people will do for work in the future.

Good point. 'The system is down at the moment'
No work is possible. I went in a supermarket and the tills stopped working they couldn't serve anyone.

Pat Vegas
02-03-2017, 04:48 PM
Well, the way it works in this case is that the department in question work hundreds, probably thousands of hours unpaid over a year for their evil overlords. I am merely giving them back some of their own time.

You certainly have a point though. I have to be careful not to automate myself out of a job, and of course, ultimately, capitalism cannot cope with a fully automated means of production. As the song goes, which I wrote myself as a matter of fact: "If no-one worked they wouldn't get paid / to buy the things the robots made".

Have you ever thought with all that time saved you should be compensated more?

I did in my last job. I saved them over 1.5 million euros. (not my sole job either) I was being reimbursed a very small percentage of that amount.
There for my value should be higher. Unfortunately I picked rubbish industries to get into when I was younger.

Sir C
02-03-2017, 04:50 PM

Wise words, a.

Of course, we may need to investigate the Universal Basic Income, with which I believe the Finns are experimenting as we speak.

Paying the feckless masses to stay at home and not go to work may be the way of the future.

Oh.

Ash
02-03-2017, 04:59 PM
Paying the feckless masses to stay at home and not go to work may be the way of the future.

Oh.

It's what the Romans did, after all. Bread & Circuses because the slaves did all the work.

Ash
02-03-2017, 05:12 PM
Have you ever thought with all that time saved you should be compensated more?

The thought had occurred to me, yes. GLWTPIMO.

Pat Vegas
02-03-2017, 05:14 PM
The thought had occurred to me, yes. GLWTPIMO.

:Hehe: Exactly.
They will tell me I am just doing my job.
so I did it half as well the next year.

Ash
02-03-2017, 05:16 PM
:Hehe: Exactly.
They will tell me I am just doing my job.
so I did it half as well the next year.

If they went around compensating chaps like us for what we made for them, where would their six-figure salaries and perk packages come from?

Pat Vegas
02-03-2017, 05:19 PM
If they went around compensating chaps like us for what we made for them, where would their six-figure salaries and perk packages come from?

How do we change this Ash.
I am ready to sign up.

Ash
02-03-2017, 05:29 PM
How do we change this Ash.
I am ready to sign up.

https://media1.britannica.com/eb-media/06/96106-004-41CCE366.jpg

Sir C
02-03-2017, 05:36 PM

Quite. Would you mind getting on with it, please?

redgunamo
02-03-2017, 07:58 PM
Advancing the forces of production. :cloud9: You've changed :-(