PDA

View Full Version : Something of the Sepp Blatter about Georgey Graham, wasn't there

Monty92
02-02-2017, 02:44 PM

sddsdsdsdss

Sir C
02-02-2017, 02:46 PM

sddsdsdsdss

For the first few years it was like having your dad in charge. He was scary, but comforting, and you couldn't imagine he wasn't infallible.

Then he started to send out teams to commit simple thuggery, and the taste went a bit sour.

I don't mean the taste of your dad. That would be strange and troubling.

Burney
02-02-2017, 02:46 PM

sddsdsdsdss

Well I think even George's best efforts at embezzlement couldn't match Sepp's, to be fair.

Look at him there, though. Even with arthritic hands he can tie a better tie knot than Wenger. :-(

Burney
02-02-2017, 02:47 PM
For the first few years it was like having your dad in charge. He was scary, but comforting, and you couldn't imagine he wasn't infallible.

Then he started to send out teams to commit simple thuggery, and the taste went a bit sour.

I don't mean the taste of your dad. That would be strange and troubling.

You just know he smelled of Old Spice, though, don't you?

redgunamo
02-02-2017, 02:48 PM

sddsdsdsdss

And there was something of the Phil Collins' about Blatter. And Robert Vaughans perhaps?

http://www.lessentiel.lu/diashow/41235/ltestesfotojpg-8b3ec6f141bd77071d798260ffdbbeaa.JPG

Sir C
02-02-2017, 02:48 PM
You just know he smelled of Old Spice, though, don't you?

Monty's dad? Yes, definitely.

If you mean George, I'd have him down more as a Paco Rabanne sort of chap. One feels that George embraced the 80s with gusto.

Sir C
02-02-2017, 02:52 PM
And there was something of the Phil Collins' about Blatter. And Robert Vaughans perhaps?

http://www.lessentiel.lu/diashow/41235/ltestesfotojpg-8b3ec6f141bd77071d798260ffdbbeaa.JPG

Is that one of those fancy Waffen-SS Auslander units?

Burney
02-02-2017, 02:53 PM
Monty's dad? Yes, definitely.

If you mean George, I'd have him down more as a Paco Rabanne sort of chap. One feels that George embraced the 80s with gusto.

Good shout, actually. I seem to remember there used to be tales of him going out on the pull in wine bars and clubs and even - God help us - being seen to cut a rug or two with the ladies during his heyday. He was very much the Alan Pardew of his time in this respect.

Sir C
02-02-2017, 02:58 PM
Good shout, actually. I seem to remember there used to be tales of him going out on the pull in wine bars and clubs and even - God help us - being seen to cut a rug or two with the ladies during his heyday. He was very much the Alan Pardew of his time in this respect.

I wonder if he drank down the Old Kent Road whilst managing Millwall? A target rich environment, in those days. He'd have stood at the end of the bar in his blazer and his Farahs like a slightly better tailored Del Boy.

redgunamo
02-02-2017, 02:59 PM
Is that one of those fancy Waffen-SS Auslander units?

Probably a local Schützenverein, essentially a jumped-up Karnival concert party organisation committee. You never know though; Mountain Krauts are even stranger folk than the regular variety, aren't they.

redgunamo
02-02-2017, 03:00 PM
I wonder if he drank down the Old Kent Road whilst managing Millwall? A target rich environment, in those days. He'd have stood at the end of the bar in his blazer and his Farahs like a slightly better tailored Del Boy.

I always thought he was a married man?

Oh, I see what you mean. Sorry.

Burney
02-02-2017, 03:03 PM

:nod: I reckon his shítty stick's just out of shot here.

Sir C
02-02-2017, 03:03 PM
:nod: I reckon his shítty stick's just out of shot here.

My word, he must have worn it to a stub in the council estates of Bermondsey.

Burney
02-02-2017, 03:04 PM
Probably a local Schützenverein, essentially a jumped-up Karnival concert party organisation committee. You never know though; Mountain Krauts are even stranger folk than the regular variety, aren't they.

Somehow, I suspect Sepp would have found his way into the Pay Corps.

Luis Anaconda
02-02-2017, 03:04 PM

With Theo Foley as an Irish Trigger - I can see it now

redgunamo
02-02-2017, 03:06 PM
Somehow, I suspect Sepp would have found his way into the Pay Corps.

Right. I actually watched Catch-22 again the other week and I'd completely forgotten that Jon Voight was in it. You know, in the Sepp Blatter role.

redgunamo
02-02-2017, 03:08 PM
With Theo Foley as an Irish Trigger - I can see it now

https://lafayettewright.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/axel_foley1.jpg

Burney
02-02-2017, 03:09 PM
Right. I actually watched Catch-22 again the other week and I'd completely forgotten that Jon Voight was in it. You know, in the Sepp Blatter role.

:nod: Milo Minderbinder. A better film than it's given credit for. Although it split up Simon and Garfunkel, of course.

Burney
02-02-2017, 03:10 PM
https://lafayettewright.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/axel_foley1.jpg

No, he said 'trigger'.

redgunamo
02-02-2017, 03:14 PM
:nod: Milo Minderbinder. A better film than it's given credit for. Although it split up Simon and Garfunkel, of course.

That was my thought as well. Obviously it's going to be hard to film such a peerless book but an honest try.

redgunamo
02-02-2017, 03:15 PM
No, he said 'trigger'.

To be sure, we always seem to be on about the Irish nowadays :-(

Burney
02-02-2017, 03:17 PM
That was my thought as well. Obviously it's going to be hard to film such a peerless book but an honest try.

Yes. Whatever happened to Alan Arkin? He was one of those chaps who was in everything in the 70s at one point and then sort of disappeared. Like Elliot Gould, George Segal and Richard Dreyfus.

redgunamo
02-02-2017, 03:19 PM
Yes. Whatever happened to Alan Arkin? He was one of those chaps who was in everything in the 70s at one point and then sort of disappeared. Like Elliot Gould, George Segal and Richard Dreyfus.

Don't know about the others, unless you mean "Adam" Arkin who was wonderful in Northern Exposure, but Gould was in Ocean's Eleven.

Burney
02-02-2017, 03:21 PM
Don't know about the others, unless you mean "Adam" Arkin who was wonderful in Northern Exposure, but Gould was in Ocean's Eleven.

The bloke who plays Yossarian.

Sir C
02-02-2017, 03:23 PM

Elliot Gould's finest hour was in A Bridge Too Far. "Any of you boys built a bridge before? Let's haul a little ass!'

redgunamo
02-02-2017, 03:25 PM
The bloke who plays Yossarian.

Ah, yes. Must be some relation?

http://www.retroweb.com/nexp/nx08.jpg

Burney
02-02-2017, 03:25 PM
Elliot Gould's finest hour was in A Bridge Too Far. "Any of you boys built a bridge before? Let's haul a little ass!'

George Segal was in Bridge at Remagen as the hard-bitten captain. He wasn't very convincing, if truth be told.

redgunamo
02-02-2017, 03:26 PM

I liked his Philip Marlowe.

Sir C
02-02-2017, 03:27 PM
I liked his Philip Marlowe.

I've never seen that. I like films about Elizabethan playwrights, I'll seek it out.

Sir C
02-02-2017, 03:28 PM
George Segal was in Bridge at Remagen as the hard-bitten captain. He wasn't very convincing, if truth be told.

Now I come to think of it, everyone's finest hour was in A Bridge Too Far.

Burney
02-02-2017, 03:30 PM
Now I come to think of it, everyone's finest hour was in A Bridge Too Far.

Not Gene Hackman's :-(

A fine actor, but casting him as a Polish colonel was a bit odd.

redgunamo
02-02-2017, 03:30 PM
I've never seen that. I like films about Elizabethan playwrights, I'll seek it out.

Ah, you may be slightly underwhelmed then, in that case. He rarely looked better though

http://www.metro.us/entertainment/elliott-gould-talks-robert-altman-and-not-trying-to-get-him-fired/tmWnhd---54taKVRVb6Ig/elliott-gould-long-goodbye-614x458.jpg

Burney
02-02-2017, 03:34 PM
Ah, you may be slightly underwhelmed then, in that case. He rarely looked better though

http://www.metro.us/entertainment/elliott-gould-talks-robert-altman-and-not-trying-to-get-him-fired/tmWnhd---54taKVRVb6Ig/elliott-gould-long-goodbye-614x458.jpg

Yes. Completely miscast, of course, though. Marlowe is described repeatedly as looking like the quintessential rugged, All-American hero. Elliott Gould looks like..well...Elliott Gould.

redgunamo
02-02-2017, 03:37 PM
Yes. Completely miscast, of course, though. Marlowe is described repeatedly as looking like the quintessential rugged, All-American hero. Elliott Gould looks like..well...Elliot Gould.

Agreed. I love Guy Ritchie but I can never bring myself to watch his Sherlock Holmes for just that same reason. *This* man is Sherlock Holmes

http://www.jomagazin.cz/sites/default/files/ruppert.jpg

Sir C
02-02-2017, 03:39 PM
Not Gene Hackman's :-(

A fine actor, but casting him as a Polish colonel was a bit odd.

I'm sure he used the same accent for the blind monk in Young Frankenstein :hehe:

Burney
02-02-2017, 03:43 PM
Agreed. I love Guy Ritchie but I can never bring myself to watch his Sherlock Holmes for just that same reason.

Sherlock Holmes has been so buggered about with now that it's all academic imo.

He'll always be Basil Rathbone to me. Did you know Basil Rathbone won the MC? After his brother was killed, he used to snipe the German front line in broad daylight while dressed as a tree. Bizarrely, he served in the same regiment as Claude Rains and Ronald Colman

redgunamo
02-02-2017, 03:44 PM
Sherlock Holmes has been so buggered about with now that it's all academic imo.

He'll always be Basil Rathbone to me. Did you know Basil Rathbone won the MC? After his brother was killed, he used to snipe the German front line in broad daylight while dressed as a tree. Bizarrely, he served in the same regiment as Claude Rains and Ronald Colman

Terrific! I didn't know any of that.

Burney
02-02-2017, 03:49 PM
Terrific! I didn't know any of that.

Yes. Extraordinary stuff, isn't it? Apparently, old Basil offed an awful lot of Huns before becoming Sherlock Holmes.