PDA

View Full Version : Sir C what's the word on the street for the ALFA ROMEO GIULIA QUADRIFOGLIO?

Pat Vegas
02-02-2017, 10:26 AM
Don't see many Alfa Romeo's about these days.

Sir C
02-02-2017, 10:30 AM
Don't see many Alfa Romeo's about these days.

Alfa are making some terrific cars at the moment, f. I have my glw driving a Giulietta Quadrifoglio; it's a charming little thing.

The Giulia Quadrifoglio is undoubtedly rapid and apparently highly chuckable, but Alfa appear to be touting it as some sort of M4 beater. If you're looking for BMW build quality and up to the moment technology, the Alfa will disappoint you, but it has a charm and charisma all of its own.

I wouldn't own one out of warranty, of course.

Luis Anaconda
02-02-2017, 10:37 AM
Alfa are making some terrific cars at the moment, f. I have my glw driving a Giulietta Quadrifoglio; it's a charming little thing.

The Giulia Quadrifoglio is undoubtedly rapid and apparently highly chuckable, but Alfa appear to be touting it as some sort of M4 beater. If you're looking for BMW build quality and up to the moment technology, the Alfa will disappoint you, but it has a charm and charisma all of its own.

My sister has an Alfa of some sort - do they make them so a grown adult can fit in the passenger seat though?

Sir C
02-02-2017, 10:40 AM
My sister has an Alfa of some sort - do they make them so a grown adult can fit in the passenger seat though?

They're generally pretty spacious in the front - are you sure the seat wasn't pushed right forward?

Burney
02-02-2017, 10:41 AM

While I agree your glw is charming, I really don't think you ought to refer to her as 'it'. :-(

Pat Vegas
02-02-2017, 10:44 AM

I am just thinking for the future. My wife seems to agree to any Italian car purchase. Especially as her dad owned about every single model of Fiat Lancia and Alfa.

I will keep my 500L for a good while yet. I have one complaint about it though. I can't see the speedometer properly as the steering wheel gets in the way.

It doesn't get much use I only use it on the weekends.

Maravilloso Marvo
02-02-2017, 11:25 AM
The Grand Tour covered the Giulia Quadrifoglio in one of the episodes towards the end of the season. Take a look at it on Amazon Prime or you should be able to find it somewhere on the internet. I think the general consensus of Clarkson was in line with Sir C that it is a cracking car but it will have something that will annoy you or let you down on it at some point. It is an Alfa afterall.

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
02-02-2017, 11:27 AM
The Grand Tour covered the Giulia Quadrifoglio in one of the episodes towards the end of the season. Take a look at it on Amazon Prime or you should be able to find it somewhere on the internet. I think the general consensus of Clarkson was in line with Sir C that it is a cracking car but it will have something that will annoy you or let you down on it at some point. It is an Alfa afterall.

Wouldn't that entail actually enduring a period of time seeing, hearing and actually having to suffer the insufferable cvnt Clarkson though M?

Maravilloso Marvo
02-02-2017, 11:28 AM
Wouldn't that entail actually enduring a period of time seeing, hearing and actually having to suffer the insufferable cvnt Clarkson though M?

Well there is that, but you just have to justify it to yourself that "I'm watching it because I enjoy the cars"

SWv2
02-02-2017, 11:29 AM
Well there is that, but you just have to justify it to yourself that "I'm watching it because I enjoy the cars"

How does one "enjoy the cars"?

Pat Vegas
02-02-2017, 11:30 AM

It's like looking at pictures of cars. but they move and you can hear the sounds.

Luis Anaconda
02-02-2017, 11:32 AM

there was a much use picture on old Awimb with the Greg Mitchell look-a-like that explains that, sw

SWv2
02-02-2017, 11:32 AM
It's like looking at pictures of cars. but they move and you can hear the sounds.

Fair enough. :hehe:

I fully appreciate some chaps have great interest in cars, just seemed to me an odd turn of phrase, "enjoy the cars".

Pat Vegas
02-02-2017, 11:35 AM
Fair enough. :hehe:

I fully appreciate some chaps have great interest in cars, just seemed to me an odd turn of phrase, "enjoy the cars".

I've never fully committed to an interest in cars. I enjoy the odd moment whilst driving.
Like flying off when the lights turned green on the Cambridge road so I could get in the right lane to get exit to the shops :-(

It was tremendous. I was well past the junction and all the other suckers still at the lights :cloud9:

Burney
02-02-2017, 11:37 AM

Even as a kid I didn't care about cars. I had no interest in Top Trumps that were sports cars, preferring tanks, warplanes and superheroes.

Pat Vegas
02-02-2017, 11:38 AM
Even as a kid I didn't care about cars. I had no interest in Top Trumps that were sports cars, preferring tanks, warplanes and superheroes.

I had a big box of matchbox cars. I think I liked the police cars the most.

Then when I was about 19 I went a bit car mental for a little while.
Then failed my test and jacked it in :hehe: for many years.

Burney
02-02-2017, 11:41 AM

Yeah, I suppose I had toy cars, but they were way down the list of my favourites. Action Man, toy soldiers and Lego were all much better.

Sir C
02-02-2017, 11:45 AM

There's this odd generational thing about driving. For my generation, the day you turned 17 the day your freedom and independence arrived. There is all sorts of romantic guff to spew about a man and his relationship with his car and with the open road, but, more prosaically, what I don't understand about subsequent generations is, what do you do about women? I mean, when you asked a girl out, did you collect her on the bus? :hehe:

Pat Vegas
02-02-2017, 11:50 AM
There's this odd generational thing about driving. For my generation, the day you turned 17 the day your freedom and independence arrived. There is all sorts of romantic guff to spew about a man and his relationship with his car and with the open road, but, more prosaically, what I don't understand about subsequent generations is, what do you do about women? I mean, when you asked a girl out, did you collect her on the bus? :hehe:

It was probably for the best that I failed that test.
I had already been to the VW dealership. and would have probably got myself locked into some silly finance deal. I was probably on £5 an hour in those days. and when you add the cost of the crazy insurance it wasn't worth it. I am sure out of London the youngsters drive a lot more. Plus living in angel on a busy street I had no where to park and I had no where really to go in this car as I worked around the corner.

Pat Vegas
02-02-2017, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I suppose I had toy cars, but they were way down the list of my favourites. Action Man, toy soldiers and Lego were all much better.

I loved lego. I had the city stuff like the police station, hospital, fire station.

my parents would get annoyed as on the back of the lego box it would show different ideas for what you could do with the set. I'd get ideas and try to recreate them only for it never to work :hehe:
They never gave you the instructions for those other layouts.

Burney
02-02-2017, 11:54 AM

You'd meet somewhere. Simple, really.

Pat Vegas
02-02-2017, 11:55 AM

Angel station. :-( the amount of time hours I have must have waiting standing around outside there.

Sir C
02-02-2017, 11:56 AM

Yes, that's what we used to do when we were 15 or 16.

Burney
02-02-2017, 12:01 PM

Yes, but when I was older, I was at University, where everyone lived within a stone's throw and you all had your own place, so cars weren't necessary for either transport or as the location for the sexual act.

SWv2
02-02-2017, 12:02 PM

Still struggling with the advantage given by picking her up in the car, unless I suppose you are going to have your wicked way in the back seat later.

Sir C
02-02-2017, 12:03 PM
Yes, but when I was older, I was at University, where everyone lived within a stone's throw and you all had your own place, so cars weren't necessary for either transport or as the location for the sexual act.

Sounds a bit limiting to me, but there you are, you kids know best.

Sir C
02-02-2017, 12:04 PM
Still struggling with the advantage given by picking her up in the car, unless I suppose you are going to have your wicked way in the back seat later.

Well, it's sort of the gorwn up thing to do, you see.

Fúcking hell, is this really so hard? Children and spastics use the bus, grown ups have independence.

SWv2
02-02-2017, 12:08 PM
Well, it's sort of the gorwn up thing to do, you see.

Fúcking hell, is this really so hard? Children and spastics use the bus, grown ups have independence.

Can't see any reference made by people to buses. And you have the cheek to on occasion criticise me for being rude.

Burney
02-02-2017, 12:09 PM
Sounds a bit limiting to me, but there you are, you kids know best.

Limiting? We were all 18-19, living away from home for the first time, had to work maybe an hour or so a day and were surrounded by friends, cheap booze, drugs and a vast array of sexual possibilities. Nothing limiting about it.

Luis Anaconda
02-02-2017, 12:10 PM
Angel station. :-( the amount of time hours I have must have waiting standing around outside there.

Jeez - I was only about ten minutes late

Pat Vegas
02-02-2017, 12:10 PM
I think this anti bus lark is a modern phenom.

Sir C
02-02-2017, 12:11 PM
Limiting? We were all 18-19, living away from home for the first time, had to work maybe an hour or so a day and were surrounded by friends, cheap booze, drugs and a vast array of sexual possibilities. Nothing limiting about it.

Except you couldn't go anywhere.

I suppose that's the thing; if you're 18 or 19 and still at school, you're going to think and behave like a child.

Pat Vegas
02-02-2017, 12:11 PM
Jeez - I was only about ten minutes late

:hehe: I probably had another 3 cigarettes in that 10 mins.

and i have a bad habit getting there too early.

redgunamo
02-02-2017, 12:14 PM

That's alright for you urban trendies, I think. In the sticks though, different matter entirely.

Pat Vegas
02-02-2017, 12:14 PM
That's alright for you urban trendies, I think. In the sticks though, different matter entirely.

meet you at the telephone box?

redgunamo
02-02-2017, 12:16 PM

I suppose that's the thing; if you're 18 or 19 and still at school, you're going to think and behave like a child.

And those are crucial formative years too; navigate according to discerning guidance or else..

Burney
02-02-2017, 12:17 PM

Where on earth would we want to go? We could walk into the city centre and, if we wanted to go further afield, there was the railway. To be honest, money (or the lack thereof) was a far more limiting factor in terms of travelling than the lack of a car.
As to the childishness thing, meh. :shrug: If you offered me that year again, I'd take your arm off, regardless of whether or not you think I behaved like a child.

Burney
02-02-2017, 12:18 PM
and i have a bad habit getting there too early.

This may explain why ladies where standing you up, f :hehe:

Pat Vegas
02-02-2017, 12:21 PM
This may explain why ladies where standing you up, f :hehe:

I was waiting for one once at 6. at 6:30pm I called her and she was still at home, but she'll leave in 15 mins.
I told her to get ****ed.

No I didn't, I stayed there like a mong.