PDA

View Full Version : Book reviewimb

Sir C
02-02-2017, 09:35 AM
This week, Magpie Murders, by Anthony Horowitz.

A book within a book, a murder mystery wrapped in a murder mystery, half Agatha Christie pastiche, half present day detective shenanigans. A rattling good yarn, a proper old fashioned whodunnit, and highly recommended. My only concern is that Mr Horowitz (who we suspect may be a jew except that's irrelevant of course except he's out with the rest of the foreigners after we've declared article 50 independence hurrah) has chosen to write our hero and narrator as a lady. I have nothing against ladies, of course, but Mr Horowitz is undoubtedly a man, and I'm unconvinced that he fully captures the female voice - perhaps he is in the gays and feels like a lady, but he isn't one, quite. (Do they have jews in the gays?) I have got over this mild difficulty by imagining that our protagonist is a transer.

Verdict: Recommended, get it while it's still winter, sit in front of the fire with a blankie over your knees and enjoy.

Burney
02-02-2017, 09:47 AM

A book within a book, a murder mystery wrapped in a murder mystery, half Agatha Christie pastiche, half present day detective shenanigans. A rattling good yarn, a proper old fashioned whodunnit, and highly recommended. My only concern is that Mr Horowitz (who we suspect may be a jew except that's irrelevant of course except he's out with the rest of the foreigners after we've declared article 50 independence hurrah) has chosen to write our hero and narrator as a lady. I have nothing against ladies, of course, but Mr Horowitz is undoubtedly a man, and I'm unconvinced that he fully captures the female voice - perhaps he is in the gays and feels like a lady, but he isn't one, quite. (Do they have jews in the gays?) I have got over this mild difficulty by imagining that our protagonist is a transer.

Verdict: Recommended, get it while it's still winter, sit in front of the fire with a blankie over your knees and enjoy.

You need to read this. In fact everyone, regardless of their stance on the issue, needs to read this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01I9AEIPU/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
02-02-2017, 09:48 AM

Well let's hope the author punctuates with a little more style than you c. Was this written on an old mobile phone perchance?

Sir C
02-02-2017, 09:52 AM
Well let's hope the author punctuates with a little mote style than you c. Was this written on an old mobile phone perchance?

You didn't pick up on the delberate evocation of a stream of consciousness style, h?

No, I don't suppose you would.

Sir C
02-02-2017, 09:54 AM
You need to read this. In fact everyone, regardless of their stance on the issue, needs to read this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01I9AEIPU/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

I've had it, I'm afraid. I'm finished with it all. Mentally battered and emotionally deadened. Brexit, Trump, politicians, the main stream media, the 'new' media, they can all continue without me.

I am repairing mentally to a fellside cottage to contemplate the seasons, the birds, the joys of nature.

Life is too short for all this bóllocks.

Burney
02-02-2017, 09:57 AM
I've had it, I'm afraid. I'm finished with it all. Mentally battered and emotionally deadened. Brexit, Trump, politicians, the main stream media, the 'new' media, they can all continue without me.

I am repairing mentally to a fellside cottage to contemplate the seasons, the birds, the joys of nature.

I understand the instinct, but honestly, read it. It's a lot of fun apart from anything.

Sir C
02-02-2017, 10:00 AM
I understand the instinct, but honestly, read it. It's a lot of fun apart from anything.

Oh ok then. :sigh: "Just when I thought I was out..."

Burney
02-02-2017, 10:03 AM
Oh ok then. :sigh: "Just when I thought I was out..."

Good man. If you don't like it, you can blame me.

Sir C
02-02-2017, 10:06 AM
Good man. If you don't like it, you can blame me.

And will you be casting an eye over Mr Horowitz's latest?

redgunamo
02-02-2017, 10:07 AM

About time too. I gave up on books and television and whatnot years ago; life is certainly too short to continue with the tyranny of listening to other people mouth off.

Listen to your heart instead, C. The world will be a better place for it.

Burney
02-02-2017, 10:07 AM
And will you be casting an eye over Mr Horowitz's latest?

Hmmm. I really do struggle with fiction these days. I've developed a weird aversion to it. But I will if you make me, I s'pose.

Sir C
02-02-2017, 10:09 AM
About time too. I gave up on books and television and whatnot years ago; life is certainly too short to continue with the tyranny of listening to other people mouth off.

Listen to your heart instead, C. The world will be a better place for it.

:nod: I find myself craving a simpler, more bucolic existence. After all, what more does one need but a warm, dry house, a kilo of meat per head per day and plenty of rough red wine?

Burney
02-02-2017, 10:12 AM
:nod: I find myself craving a simpler, more bucolic existence. After all, what more does one need but a warm, dry house, a kilo of meat per head per day and plenty of rough red wine?

Nah. Things just got interesting after decades of tedium. Withdrawing from it now would seem perverse.

Sir C
02-02-2017, 10:15 AM
Hmmm. I really do struggle with fiction these days. I've developed a weird aversion to it. But I will if you make me, I s'pose.

You struggle with fiction? What madness is this? Art man, what of art? What will your soul do if you don't feed it?

Burney
02-02-2017, 10:17 AM
You struggle with fiction? What madness is this? Art man, what of art? What will your soul do if you don't feed it?

It's all madey-uppey, though, isn't it? :shrug: Truth really is stranger if you ask me.

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
02-02-2017, 11:22 AM
You didn't pick up on the delberate evocation of a stream of consciousness style, h?

No, I don't suppose you would.

Sure you weren't just pissed?