PDA

View Full Version : some of Arsene's more questionable moments?

Pat Vegas
02-01-2017, 01:50 PM
When he insisted using Almunia.
When Frimpong was allowed to play for arsenal :-(
Kim Källström :shrug: signing a player on loan with a broken back :hehe:

This is not having a go just the odd moments. Please add.

also adding to my 'weird years' I would like to mention the return of Sol Campbell in 2010, Jens Lehmann in 2011, and Henry in 2012

Luis Anaconda
02-01-2017, 01:53 PM

also adding to my 'weird years' I would like to mention the return of Sol Campbell in 2010, Jens Lehmann in 2011, and Henry in 2012

Well Källstrom wasn't that weird as it was him or no one by that stage and he played in a couple of important games I seem to recall.

Making Almunia captain though - what the ****

Pat Vegas
02-01-2017, 01:54 PM
Well Källstrom wasn't that weird as it was him or no one by that stage and he played in a couple of important games I seem to recall.

Making Almunia captain though - what the ****

He did take an important pen in the shootout.

Sir C
02-01-2017, 01:55 PM
Failing to bring Cesc home :-(

Pat Vegas
02-01-2017, 01:57 PM
Failing to bring Cesc home :-(

Playing elvis music before games.

Though I suspect it's nothing to do with wenger. but I'll blame him anyway.

Ash
02-01-2017, 02:01 PM

Not playing Arshavin, the player of the moment, in the FA Cup Semi-final against Chelsea. No injury reasons were cited. One suspects a little bit bust-up.

Sir C
02-01-2017, 02:04 PM
Not playing Arshavin, the player of the moment, in the FA Cup Semi-final against Chelsea. No injury reasons were cited. One suspects a little bit bust-up.

Christ, I was at Wembley for that nonsense. What a horrible, horrible day. The whole thing was just so predicatable.

I had a Double Whopper on the way home though. That was good.

SWv2
02-01-2017, 02:09 PM
Christ, I was at Wembley for that nonsense. What a horrible, horrible day. The whole thing was just so predicatable.

Don't even recall it. Year?

April 2009 give or take.

My daughter was very sick so I was otherwise occupied.

Sir C
02-01-2017, 02:12 PM

Dunno. When we lost to Chelsea in the FA semi. A few years ago. That Chelsea bloke scored for them, wossisname, can't remember, Florence?

Burney
02-01-2017, 02:12 PM

Let's be honest, his defensive purchases have occasionally been a bit on the erratic side. Cygan, Stepanovs, Squillaci, Luzhny - Sylvestre, ffs! :-(

There were moments when that lot were around that you started to question his sanity let alone his grasp of football.

Burney
02-01-2017, 02:13 PM

April 2009 give or take.

My daughter was very sick so I was otherwise occupied.

Oh dear. I hope she got better, sw. :-(

World's End Stella
02-01-2017, 02:13 PM

Refusing to pay 2mil to replace Almunia with Schwarzer.

It was my watershed moment with Wenger, it was the moment I realized that he was more bothered with his philosophies than with improving the team and winning things. And that Peter knew nothing about goalkeeping.

All right Peter :wave:

Sir C
02-01-2017, 02:14 PM
Playing elvis music before games.

Though I suspect it's nothing to do with wenger. but I'll blame him anyway.

His inability to knot a tie causes me no end of emotional pain.

Luis Anaconda
02-01-2017, 02:14 PM

2009 - was the day of my mother's 70th birthday party so I could not attend. I spent most of the afternoon filling the wine glasses of family and friends. And of course helping myself. I was a bit tipsy by the time I headed to the pub to watch the game. My mum's other half and my three brothers-in-law came with me - I think they were a bit shocked by my language, which I think included about five minutes at the end of the game just calling Craig Burley a cünt. They won't watch football with me any more

Burney
02-01-2017, 02:16 PM
Refusing to pay 2mil to replace Almunia with Schwarzer.

It was my watershed moment with Wenger, it was the moment I realized that he was more bothered with his philosophies than with improving the team and winning things. And that Peter knew nothing about goalkeeping.

All right Peter :wave:

Yes, the persistence with Almunia was bizarre. Although he seemed like a nice chap, so maybe it was that? :shrug:

Ash
02-01-2017, 02:27 PM
Let's be honest, his defensive purchases have occasionally been a bit on the erratic side. Cygan, Stepanovs, Squillaci, Luzhny - Sylvestre, ffs! :-(

There were moments when that lot were around that you started to question his sanity let alone his grasp of football.

Squillaci was reputedly a decent defender before he came to Arsenal. We do have a habit of hanging our defenders out to dry tbf.

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
02-01-2017, 02:27 PM
Yes, the persistence with Almunia was bizarre. Although he seemed like a nice chap, so maybe it was that? :shrug:
First-choice keeper for 3 seasons when we were "broke" and we still managed to finish 3rd twice and 4th once. AW knows?

Just Trent
02-01-2017, 02:28 PM

:nod: A dreadful day. Chelsea fans were fighting with everyone on the Jubilee line. Two Arsenal fans got into a punch up in the toilet queue at halftime, and sitting in the upper tier at Wembley gave me a migraine :-(.

Sir C
02-01-2017, 02:29 PM
:nod: A dreadful day. Chelsea were fighting with everyone on the Jubilee line. Two Arsenal fans got into a punch up in the toilet queue at halftime, and sitting in the upper tier at Wembley gave me a migraine :-(.

I haven't been back to Wembley since, now I come to think about it. Other than for Springsteen, naturally.

Sir C
02-01-2017, 02:30 PM
First-choice keeper for 3 seasons when we were "broke" and we still managed to finish 3rd twice and 4th once. AW knows?

Yes. Clearly, you've demonstrated it yourself :shrug:

Sir C
02-01-2017, 02:32 PM
Squillaci was reputedly a decent defender before he came to Arsenal. We do have a habit of hanging our defenders out to dry tbf.

Squillaci said afterwards that he'd never played in a team where there was absolutely zero expectation of cover for the back four from midfield :hehe:

World's End Stella
02-01-2017, 02:34 PM

Oh Arsene was always very good at top 4 finishes despite all the challenges he faced.

The issue seemed to be that so many of those challenges were created by Arsene Wenger. As such, I'm rather less understanding.

02-01-2017, 02:34 PM
Yes. Clearly, you've demonstrated it yourself :shrug:

:nod: I'm not having a pop at AW, y'know.

World's End Stella
02-01-2017, 02:35 PM

Nice chaps don't let Ronaldo score from a free kick about 75 yards from goal in a CL semi-final, Burney.

Those are the actions of an utter c*nt.

Burney
02-01-2017, 02:49 PM

We finished there despite him, though. And half-decent goalkeepers aren't that expensive.

SWv2
02-01-2017, 02:50 PM
Starting with Aliadiere in that semi-final.

Burney
02-01-2017, 02:50 PM
Squillaci said afterwards that he'd never played in a team where there was absolutely zero expectation of cover for the back four from midfield :hehe:

Old AW doesn't really believe in defence, does he? He should have been born Brazilian.

Sir C
02-01-2017, 02:51 PM
We finished there despite him, though. And half-decent goalkeepers aren't that expensive.

He had that uncanny ability to turn himself into vapour at times, but in general he was a decent shot stopper and, importantly for an Arsenal keeper, quick off his line to fill the space behind the centre halves. He really wasn't that bad.

Burney
02-01-2017, 02:52 PM
Starting with Aliadiere in that semi-final.

Oh, fück yes! :-( I'd forgotten that!

He'd got away with dropping Henry in the cup against United before and clearly thought he'd push his luck.

I may have used some language about him that day.

Pat Vegas
02-01-2017, 02:52 PM
:nod: A dreadful day. Chelsea fans were fighting with everyone on the Jubilee line. Two Arsenal fans got into a punch up in the toilet queue at halftime, and sitting in the upper tier at Wembley gave me a migraine :-(.

I have seemed to erased this game from my mind.
Is it the game where Fabianski went walkies and Drogba scored? (safe bet saying Drogba scored)

SWv2
02-01-2017, 02:53 PM
He had that uncanny ability to turn himself into vapour at times, but in general he was a decent shot stopper and, importantly for an Arsenal keeper, quick off his line to fill the space behind the centre halves. He really wasn't that bad.

He was a ****.

02-01-2017, 02:53 PM

The trouble with keepers is that mistakes make them memorable more so than saves, more people remember Seaman vs Nayim/Ronaldinho than against Sheff Utd and others. I just don't think Almunia was quite as bad as has been made out. And he is a nice bloke with sartorial elegance and a dog-lover to boot.

Sir C
02-01-2017, 02:55 PM
He was a ****.

Erudite as ever, sw.

SWv2
02-01-2017, 02:59 PM
Erudite as ever, sw.

To be fair I recall him playing well at Old Trafford, CL semi-final.

Remember the one when we got them back to the Emirates, flags ahoy like Islington Pride Day, absolutely brim full of optimism and indeed expectation. Then the game started.

Thing is looking back at it you have to laugh at how very ****ing Arsenal it was.

Pat Vegas
02-01-2017, 03:03 PM

Remember the one when we got them back to the Emirates, flags ahoy like Islington Pride Day, absolutely brim full of optimism and indeed expectation. Then the game started.

Thing is looking back at it you have to laugh at how very ****ing Arsenal it was.

:hehe: It was probably the loudest I ever heard the place for 5 mins.

Sir C
02-01-2017, 03:05 PM

Yes, that was all a little... unfortunate. Still, it was a lovely spring evening.

Sir C
02-01-2017, 03:06 PM
The trouble with keepers is that mistakes make them memorable more so than saves, more people remember Seaman vs Nayim/Ronaldinho than against Sheff Utd and others. I just don't think Almunia was quite as bad as has been made out. And he is a nice bloke with sartorial elegance and a dog-lover to boot.

He also has a highly respected classic Ferrari collection.

I wish I was **** enough at my job to afford a classic Ferrari collection.

IUFG
02-01-2017, 03:13 PM
Almunia - that **** still pinches himself everyday...

Still, that game against West Brom killed him off.

Pat Vegas
02-01-2017, 03:14 PM
Almunia - that **** still pinches himself everyday...

Still, that game against West Brom killed him off.

he actually has a heart condition. Are you happy now IUFG?

Burney
02-01-2017, 03:15 PM

That United game when I looked down from the North Bank only to see him trying to close a United player down somewhere near the corner flag. I'll never forgive that. :cry:

Sir C
02-01-2017, 03:17 PM
Oh, fück yes! :-( I'd forgotten that!

He'd got away with dropping Henry in the cup against United before and clearly thought he'd push his luck.

I may have used some language about him that day.

Hold on, hold on, you were angry at Henry being dropped, when you used to give the bloke all sorts of stick? You did, you bloody did! You were always pissed off with Henry.

Burney
02-01-2017, 03:22 PM
he actually has a heart condition. Are you happy now IUFG?

HE had a fücking heart condition!!? Fücker probably shortened more Arsenal fans' lives than the bloke who used to sell the dog burgers on Elwood St. :furious:

Burney
02-01-2017, 03:23 PM
Hold on, hold on, you were angry at Henry being dropped, when you used to give the bloke all sorts of stick? You did, you bloody did! You were always pissed off with Henry.

Of COURSE I was pïssed off with Henry! He was a preening, selfish fücker. He was also our talisman, top scorer and player of whom the opposition were most terrified.

Norn Iron
02-01-2017, 03:28 PM
Almunia was a ****.

Remember the day we were away to West Brom and he came running out of goal almost to the half way line when there was no danger? It was like on FIFA when you press the wrong button and your keeper appears in the middle of the pitch from nowhere.

Also when we played Birmingham at St Andrews and we conceded late on. Nasri put us in the lead and that c_unt Almunia ****ed up again.

Burney
02-01-2017, 03:32 PM
Almunia was a ****.

Remember the day we were away to West Brom and he came running out of goal almost to the half way line when there was no danger? It was like on FIFA when you press the wrong button and your keeper appears in the middle of the pitch from nowhere.

Also when we played Birmingham at St Andrews and we conceded late on. Nasri put us in the lead and that c_unt Almunia ****ed up again.

He was by some distance the worst keeper I've seen in an Arsenal shirt for any extended period. And that's being kind to him.

SWv2
02-01-2017, 03:52 PM
Of COURSE I was pïssed off with Henry! He was a preening, selfish fücker. He was also our talisman, top scorer and player of whom the opposition were most terrified.

Cost us the CL final also.

Him and Almunia.

IUFG
02-01-2017, 03:54 PM
Wenger saw the signs with Richard Wright but not with Almunia... dementia, obviously :judge:

redgunamo
02-01-2017, 03:58 PM
Old AW doesn't really believe in defence, does he? He should have been born Brazilian.

Which is odd as I'm sure I recall Links stating, by way of what we could expect, that He was very strong on defensive organisation and discipline.

Perhaps the Premier League broke Him.

Ash
02-01-2017, 04:08 PM
Cost us the CL final also.

Him and Almunia.

And Jens..

Sir C
02-01-2017, 04:09 PM
Which is odd as I'm sure I recall Links stating, by way of what we could expect, that He was very strong on defensive organisation and discipline.

Perhaps the Premier League broke Him.

Perhaps he meant by Japanese standards? We know they tend to be good in attack, but get them on the back foot and drop a couple of teeny weeny atomic devices and they quit almost immediately.

Burney
02-01-2017, 04:18 PM
Perhaps he meant by Japanese standards? We know they tend to be good in attack, but get them on the back foot and drop a couple of teeny weeny atomic devices and they quit almost immediately.

Oh, I don't know. They can park the bus when they want to - as they proved on Okinawa.

Pat Vegas
02-01-2017, 04:20 PM
Oh, I don't know. They can park the bus when they want to - as they proved on Okinawa.

I was thinking of adding a new one to this thread.

How about loaning Jack Wilshere to Bournemouth this season? At the time I thought perhaps it was a good idea.

Though on recent events I'd rather him play than Ramsey.

redgunamo
02-01-2017, 04:21 PM

Suicidal in attack, don't you mean?

Burney
02-01-2017, 04:23 PM
Suicidal in attack, don't you mean?

But Sir C's right. They didn't like the two bombs. Classic Big Man/Little Man strike combo. :nod:

02-01-2017, 04:26 PM
I was thinking of adding a new one to this thread.

How about loaning Jack Wilshere to Bournemouth this season? At the time I thought perhaps it was a good idea.

Though on recent events I'd rather him play than Ramsey.

Why was that a bad idea? He's played as much for them this season as he has for us over the last 2 seasons. If he'd stayed here he'd just be injuredy again.

I hope he has a good season and comes back to us fit and ready for next year...even if Santi stays he'll probably be out quite a bit.

redgunamo
02-01-2017, 04:28 PM
But Sir C's right. They didn't like the two bombs. Classic Big Man/Little Man strike combo. :nod:

Yes, we may scoff at the Americans' appreciation of the Beautiful Game, but they taught a tenacious and resolute opponent a lesson that day.

Pat Vegas
02-01-2017, 04:28 PM
Why was that a bad idea? He's played as much for them this season as he has for us over the last 2 seasons. If he'd stayed here he'd just be injuredy again.

I hope he has a good season and comes back to us fit and ready for next year...even if Santi stays he'll probably be out quite a bit.

If he comes back and is part of the squad I think it's good.

How's he been playing there? I haven't really been paying attention.

redgunamo
02-01-2017, 04:29 PM

Sorry to say he's probably too small for purpose in any case. Same with Santi :-\

02-01-2017, 04:31 PM
If he comes back and is part of the squad I think it's good.

How's he been playing there? I haven't really been paying attention.

He hasn't scored. Dunno about the assists but they're doing ok. PM Rich imo...

02-01-2017, 04:32 PM
Sorry to say he's probably too small for purpose in any case. Same with Santi :-\

Unlike your mum.

Burney
02-01-2017, 04:34 PM
Yes, we may scoff at the Americans' appreciation of the Beautiful Game, but they taught a tenacious and resolute opponent a lesson that day.

Yes. Who can forget the lad Oppenheimer wheeling away, hand in the air, shouting: 'I AM BECOME DEATH, THE DESTROYER OF WORLDS!'?

redgunamo
02-01-2017, 04:38 PM
Unlike your mum.

Indeed. A big personality, by all accounts.

SWv2
02-01-2017, 04:40 PM
He hasn't scored. Dunno about the assists but they're doing ok. PM Rich imo...

Part of me thinks JW and his people kind of forced this move once he was dropped from the England squad.

02-01-2017, 04:43 PM
Part of me thinks JW and his people kind of forced this move once he was dropped from the England squad.

Yes. I daresay there was some truth to that...fùcking international football. Of course representing your country is the biggest deal going for any sportsman I guess but to an awful lot of modern footie fans it's just a pile of old cùnt.

Monty92
02-01-2017, 04:59 PM

Wenger said after the game that he wanted the team to start believing they could win without Arshavin and the only way for them to do so would be for them to win without Arshavin.

:-|

Monty92
02-01-2017, 05:02 PM

New Dan Carlin 6-hour podcast just released :cloud9:

Monty92
02-01-2017, 05:04 PM
Yes. Who can forget the lad Oppenheimer wheeling away, hand in the air, shouting: 'I AM BECOME DEATH, THE DESTROYER OF WORLDS!'?

According to yer man Carlin, he also whimpered to Harry Truman about his guilt and having blood on his hands, to which Truman offered him a pint of HTFU.

redgunamo
02-01-2017, 05:37 PM

*Arsenal* squad, imo.

World's End Stella
02-01-2017, 05:54 PM

Oppenheimer was just the glory boy. That dynamic midfield duo of Lemay and McNamara ran the game for 90 minutes, fire bombing the opposition all over the pitch, they were virtually on their knees when Oppenheimer tapped those two in in injury time.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
02-01-2017, 08:35 PM
Wenger said after the game that he wanted the team to start believing they could win without Arshavin and the only way for them to do so would be for them to win without Arshavin.

:-|

Which we lost :-(

Burney
02-02-2017, 12:37 AM
New Dan Carlin 6-hour podcast just released :cloud9:

Dropped last week. Finished it yesterday.