PDA

View Full Version : 'It looked more mentally that we were not ready for the challenges'

World's End Stella
02-01-2017, 09:04 AM
So how do we feel about that statement? Is it the first time we've heard that over the past 10 years or so?

Clearly, no team can be mentally prepared for every game, the players are human beings after all. But we play the league leaders on Saturday and we were 8 points back with the leaders away to Liverpool. Surely Shirley, the manager recognized the importance of the next two games and made sure the players did as well? How could they possibly have not been up for the game last night knowing what was at stake?

Or am I being harsh and this falls into the 'sometimes these things happen, it's a long season' category?

Pokster
02-01-2017, 09:08 AM
So how do we feel about that statement? Is it the first time we've heard that over the past 10 years or so?

Clearly, no team can be mentally prepared for every game, the players are human beings after all. But we play the league leaders on Saturday and we were 8 points back with the leaders away to Liverpool. Surely Shirley, the manager recognized the importance of the next two games and made sure the players did as well? How could they possibly have not been up for the game last night knowing what was at stake?

Or am I being harsh and this falls into the 'sometimes these things happen, it's a long season' category?

well since before the game he said the players were mentally prepared it shows he talks utter ****e at times

Billy Goat Sverige
02-01-2017, 09:08 AM

"The players are prepared and mentally focused to deal with the challenges we will face." He said this at some point in the build up to the game, apparently. He has dementia.

IUFG
02-01-2017, 09:12 AM
Hang on. I thought our players had 'great mental strength'.

I am now confused.

PSRB
02-01-2017, 09:12 AM
"The players are prepared and mentally focused to deal with the challenges we will face." He said this at some point in the build up to the game, apparently. He has dementia.

Too many times this season we've not been at it for 45 minutes but that being said but for Gomez and Walcott missing 2 simple chances we'd have walked away with the points......a bit simplistic, i know

Sir C
02-01-2017, 09:15 AM

I suppose dementia could be an answer, but it seems quite a dramatic conclusion to draw. He may just have been mistaken, you know.

Pat Vegas
02-01-2017, 09:17 AM
Hang on. I thought our players had 'great mental strength'.

I am now confused.

what that means is we have been lucky on occasion.

Pokster
02-01-2017, 09:22 AM
what that means is we have been lucky on occasion.

The sad thing is that you expect us to have games like this 3 or 4 times a season...been happening for years and doesn't look like it will stop while AW is in charge. I believe his time is just about up and he should leave with his head held high at the end of the season

Monty92
02-01-2017, 12:24 PM

I think the problem is that because Wenger believes his team are good enough footballistically, any failure must be attributed to mental failings.

Whether or not he's right is of course another matter.

Pat Vegas
02-01-2017, 12:29 PM
The sad thing is that you expect us to have games like this 3 or 4 times a season...been happening for years and doesn't look like it will stop while AW is in charge. I believe his time is just about up and he should leave with his head held high at the end of the season

:nod: FA cup final against Hull was pretty lucky.

We got lucky with 2 wins against Burnley this season. Burnley have a right to be annoyed on both of those results.

Burney
02-01-2017, 12:31 PM
I think the problem is that because Wenger believes his team are good enough footballistically, any failure must be attributed to mental failings.

I'm not sure why he'd think those are two separate things. Real mental strengz is surely a key facet of any top sportsman?

Monty92
02-01-2017, 12:34 PM
I'm not sure why he'd think those are two separate things. Real mental strengz is surely a key facet of any top sportsman?

Yes but a lot of fans think some of our players aren't good enough in terms of their sheer footballing ability, separate to their mental attributes. Wenger disagrees.

Only really Kosceilny, Cazorla (dead), Ozil and Sanchez are universally liked.

Pat Vegas
02-01-2017, 12:37 PM

We only have one appraoch though.
Could it be that appraoch is outdated as since the Invincible's era (who possibly underachieved) we've been through I'd say 3 squards and they've all suffered the same problems.

I put it in 3 categories. The van Persie/Fabregas years. we played good football but didn't win anything.

The weird sell our players to City/etc and peculiar signings years. Yossi Benayoun! I only just remembered he was with us briefly.

then this new bunch where he's spent some faaaking money and with that quality we did indeed win 2 fa cups but still seem to suffer the same problems. The first FA cup win was the end of the weird years.

The league was there for the taking last year and we didn't take it.

Burney
02-01-2017, 12:40 PM
Yes but a lot of fans think some of our players aren't good enough in terms of their sheer footballing ability, separate to their mental attributes. Wenger disagrees.

But the implication on his part is that these mental failings aren't down to him, whereas in fact what he's done (for years now) is buy good technical players who are - sadly - weak sisters.

SWv2

That is normal at any club, not just ours.

It comes down to the fact that fans are people and by that virtue human and most, not all, have opinions which are actually their own. Not all correct of course.

I would suggest Bellerin is on that list also.

Pat Vegas
But the implication on his part is that these mental failings aren't down to him, whereas in fact what he's done (for years now) is buy good technical players who are - sadly - weak sisters.

They can't all be that way. I suppose if he managed another club we could see if that was the case.

Maybe that's why he never did go to Barcelona or Madrid.

Burney
02-01-2017, 12:41 PM
We only have one appraoch though.
Could it be that appraoch is outdated as since the Invincible's era (who possibly underachieved) we've been through I'd say 3 squards and they've all suffered the same problems.

I put it in 3 categories. The van Persie/Fabregas years. we played good football but didn't win anything.

The weird sell our players to City/etc and peculiar signings years. Yossi Benayoun! I only just remembered he was with us briefly.

then this new bunch where he's spent some faaaking money and with that quality we did indeed win 2 fa cups but still seem to suffer the same problems. I could the first FA cup win was the end of the weird years.

The league was there for the taking last year and we didn't take it.

:nod: Last year was when I finally gave up all hope of us winning the league under AW ever again. :-(

SWv2
02-01-2017, 12:52 PM
:nod: Last year was when I finally gave up all hope of us winning the league under AW ever again. :-(

So based on this are you a member of the growing group of supporters who would welcome change at the top level?

Not I hasten to add one who wants Wenger sacked and metaphorically strung up but one who realises the importance of this summer’s contract situation and thinks it is time for new thoughts and whatever that may bring.

We have undoubted levels of football talent, resources, infrastructure yet we all know there appears to be a clear problem in harnessing them.

Pat Vegas
02-01-2017, 01:02 PM
So based on this are you a member of the growing group of supporters who would welcome change at the top level?

Not I hasten to add one who wants Wenger sacked and metaphorically strung up but one who realises the importance of this summer’s contract situation and thinks it is time for new thoughts and whatever that may bring.

We have undoubted levels of football talent, resources, infrastructure yet we all know there appears to be a clear problem in harnessing them.

For me when there is a change there is a risk of a season out of the Champions League etc. People will say we won't be able to attract players etc.

but as it stands I find it very boring. If we miss a CL season here and there it's not the end of the world and plus it's a boring competition in our current state. qualify the group and exit and repeat.

I don't care if we lose games. As long as we give it ago, yesterday in the first half was ridiculous.
You have Arsene saying how it's his best squad. Mustafi wants to go unbeaten. and they can't even do the basics. Wenger being in the stands or in the dugout the result would have been the same.

I honestly think Tottenham to finish above us might actually be good for us. It seems whatever happens as long as we finish above them everything seems alright. Even those NLD are boring now. mainly draws.

AFC East
02-01-2017, 01:02 PM

But seriously, who gives a **** what fans think? Have Chelsea become a technically more adept team in 12 months?

I'd suggest that the difference in top level sport is the mental attributes and condition.

Physiological attributes are 'relatively' easy to track, but far from infallible.

I'd imagine that tracking the mental readiness is much more of an art than a science at this point in sports science.

Is it down to the manager? Yes of course. Is it surprising they misread the signs? Not really.

Burney
02-01-2017, 01:03 PM

I've felt for sometime he ought to be allowed to leave with dignity, but last year was when I finally felt that this should be his last contract.