PDA

View Full Version : Places I have eaten, sad and alone, in chinese restaurants.

Sir C
01-31-2017, 04:39 PM
Manchester. Birmingham. Milton Keynes. Swansea. Chatham. Hong Kong.

How did I fúck my life and career this badly? :-(

As you can see, this is a most pleasing list. Where have you eaten the most depressing lonely businessman meals, awimb?

Burney
01-31-2017, 04:44 PM

As you can see, this is a most pleasing list. Where have you eaten the most depressing lonely businessman meals, awimb?

I actually like eating on my own in restaurants. Although it often seems to confuse the staff. I think my vastly overpriced and undersized steak in one of the two restaurants in an unbelievably cold and dark Vaasa, Finland in late November was probably a low point.

Pat Vegas
01-31-2017, 04:45 PM

When I was in Vienna there wasn't much near the hotel and had been on my feet all day.
the restaurant in the hotel was nice but it didn't have a great deal of choice. there is only so many schnitzel you can have in a week.

In the end I ordered room service for the rest of the week. I ordered a club sandwich everyday :-(
On the last day just to be greedy I ordered 2. It came with chips. They brought up the trolley and plates for 2 people.
I thought it was quite sad sitting on the bed stuffing myself with these 2 sandwiches watching some sort of Austrian variety programme on the telly.

I was ashamed of my expenses recipes.

World's End Stella
01-31-2017, 04:45 PM

Surely you're never really alone in Hong Kong? It only takes a casual glance and a smile and half the Filipino women on the island are all over you.

Sir C
01-31-2017, 04:46 PM
Surely you're never really alone in Hong Kong? It only takes a casual glance and a smile and half the Filipino women on the island are all over you.

Exploiting under age Asian women isn't really my thing, mate.

World's End Stella
01-31-2017, 04:46 PM
Oh and to answer your question - just outside Ottawa in the middle of nowhere on the Quebec side.

I ordered a pizza and sat there looking at terminals for about 8 consecutive hours. :-(

Sir C
01-31-2017, 04:48 PM
Oh and to answer your question - just outside Ottawa in the middle of nowhere on the Quebec side.

I ordered a pizza and sat there looking at terminals for about 8 consecutive hours. :-(

Terminals? Were you near the airport?

Burney
01-31-2017, 04:49 PM
When I was in Vienna there wasn't much near the hotel and had been on my feet all day.
the restaurant in the hotel was nice but it didn't have a great deal of choice. there is only so many schnitzel you can have in a week.

In the end I ordered room service for the rest of the week. I ordered a club sandwich everyday :-(
On the last day just to be greedy I ordered 2. It came with chips. They brought up the trolley and plates for 2 people.
I thought it was quite sad sitting on the bed stuffing myself with these 2 sandwiches watching some sort of Austrian variety programme on the telly.

I once made the mistake of ordering a large pizza as room service in a hotel in Florida. It was gigantic and I could only eat about a quarter of it. Bizarrely, rather than throw it away, I put it in the wardrobe and ate it cold the next day. :-(

Sir C
01-31-2017, 04:50 PM

I was in a sort of Travelodge on a trading estate near Dusseldorf once. No civilisation around locally. Went to the snack machine in the lobby and bought a dinner of Haribos, Kinder eggs and Toblerone :-( That was a low.

Burney
01-31-2017, 04:53 PM
I was in a sort of Travelodge on a trading estate near Dusseldorf once. No civilisation around locally. Went to the snack machine in the lobby and bought a dinner of Haribos, Kinder eggs and Toblerone :-( That was a low.

I think hotels on one's own bring out the very worst lows, though, don't they? Sitting in my pants shouting Marley and Me in bed while eating fried chicken and drinking whisky from a hip flask springs to mind.

Pat Vegas
01-31-2017, 04:53 PM
I once made the mistake of ordering a large pizza as room service in a hotel in Florida. It was gigantic and I could only eat about a quarter of it. Bizarrely, rather than throw it away, I put it in the wardrobe and ate it cold the next day. :-(

:hehe: my wife went away a couple of years ago.
there was a deal on at Papa Johns for buy one get one free.

I had 2 large pizzas,
I had some for dinner, breakfast, lunch the next day and dinner again the next day and still had some left over.
Only then to get very ill and spend 3 days in bed being sick and non stop on the ****ter :-(

I always do stupid **** like this. Can't decide if i want a burger or a pizza I'll get both.

Pat Vegas
01-31-2017, 04:55 PM
I think hotels on one's own bring out the very worst lows, though, don't they? Sitting in my pants shouting Marley and Me in bed while eating fried chicken and drinking whisky from a hip flask springs to mind.

I got charged for the 'sex kit' in Vegas :-(

There was a mysterious can on top of the minibar. I picked it up to have a look and it bloody charged me.
it was a can with lube, rubbers and some sort of vibrating device.
$40.

They charged me twice and refunded me as I had a 2nd look.

Sir C
01-31-2017, 04:55 PM
I think hotels on one's own bring out the very worst lows, though, don't they? Sitting in my pants shouting at Marley and Me in bed while eating fried chicken and drinking whisky from a hip flask springs to mind.

Indeed, being alone in a hotel removes the requirement for dignity; although v came out of the bathroom in a hotel once to find me naked on the bed, eating cold cocktail sausages and drinking scotch, weeping copiously about a disablist in Gareth Malone's choir.

Burney
01-31-2017, 04:57 PM
I got charged for the 'sex kit' in Vegas :-(

There was a mysterious can on top of the minibar. I picked it up to have a look and it bloody charged me.
it was a can with lube, rubbers and some sort of vibrating device.
$40.

They charged me twice and refunded me as I had a 2nd look.

:hehe: :clap: 'Sex kit'! It's bad enough when it's just a can of Pringles. :hehe:

Burney
01-31-2017, 04:58 PM
:hehe: my wife went away a couple of years ago.
there was a deal on at Papa Johns for buy one get one free.

I had 2 large pizzas,
I had some for dinner, breakfast, lunch the next day and dinner again the next day and still had some left over.
Only then to get very ill and spend 3 days in bed being sick and non stop on the ****ter :-(

I always do stupid **** like this. Can't decide if i want a burger or a pizza I'll get both.

When my wife goes away, I order the special kebab, which does me nicely for two days. :eat:

World's End Stella
01-31-2017, 05:00 PM
Terminals? Were you near the airport?

Computer terminals.

Much worse. :-(

Burney
01-31-2017, 05:01 PM
Indeed, being alone in a hotel removes the requirement for dignity; although v came out of the bathroom in a hotel once to find me naked on the bed, eating cold cocktail sausages and drinking scotch, weeping copiously about a disablist in Gareth Malone's choir.

When I was in Hamburg last year, a chap in the Ibis opposite threw himself out the window to his death on the pavement below. People were hand-wringing as to why he might have done it, but surely anyone forced to exist in a low- to mid-range hotel room for any length of time must contemplate suicide at least twice when doing so? :shrug:

Pat Vegas
01-31-2017, 05:02 PM
When my wife goes away, I order the special kebab, which does me nicely for two days. :eat:

How do you stop the kebab from going all waxy once it's gone cold?
does it return back to normal if you reheat it?

Sir C
01-31-2017, 05:02 PM
When I was in Hamburg last year, a chap in the Ibis opposite threw himself out the window to his death on the pavement below. People were hand-wringing as to why he might have done it, but surely anyone forced to exist in a low- to mid-range hotel room for any length of time must contemplate suicide at least twice when doing so? :shrug:

Certainly. I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express quite recently and was contemplating sawing at my jugular within 8 minutes of checking in.

Burney
01-31-2017, 05:03 PM
How do you stop the kebab from going all waxy once it's gone cold?
does it return back to normal if you reheat it?

Oh, the fat congeals, naturally, but the microwave is your friend, here. You have to make sure you separate the meat and the salad, though, as salad reheated in mutton fat isn't ideal, tbf. :-(

Pat Vegas
01-31-2017, 05:04 PM
Certainly. I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express quite recently and was contemplating sawing at my jugular within 8 minutes of checking in.

It's a strange branding calling it express.

Rather than basic they make speed the selling point.
or am I missing the point and they mean you just stay there for one day.

Burney
01-31-2017, 05:04 PM

Oh, my dear fellow! That must have been rough for you? :-( I know how you struggle with slumming it.

Burney
01-31-2017, 05:05 PM
It's a strange branding calling it express.

Rather than basic they make speed the selling point.
or am I missing the point and they mean you just stay there for one day.

It is basically like telling your guests not to outstay their welcome, isn't it? :hehe:

Sir C
01-31-2017, 05:07 PM
Oh, my dear fellow! That must have been rough for you? :-( I know how you struggle with slumming it.

Oh I'm relatively parsimonious when it comes to work; I see no reason to spend the company's money on luxuries. But there are degrees, you know. The Holiday Inn Express was just a step too far.

PSRB
01-31-2017, 05:24 PM

Leeds, Edinburgh, Tiverton & Barnstaple

IUFG
01-31-2017, 05:36 PM
Aberystwyth, Liverpool and Hull

May have been raining at the time on all three occasions.

The owner of the restaurant (in a retail park) in Hull was delighted to plaster the place in pictures of him and John Prescott. Weird and gloopy and msg'y iirc.

Sir C
01-31-2017, 08:13 PM
Aberystwyth, Liverpool and Hull

May have been raining at the time on all three occasions.

The owner of the restaurant (in a retail park) in Hull was delighted to plaster the place in pictures of him and John Prescott. Weird and gloopy and msg'y iirc.

Please pm deets of the Hull place.

Burney
01-31-2017, 08:47 PM
Leeds, Edinburgh, Tiverton & Barnstaple

Oh, yeah, Barnstaple. I sought in vain for a curry shop. What kind of English town doesn't have a curry shop, ffs?
Ended up in a **** Chinese where everything I wanted only came as a dish for two and the staff clearly found having to serve a man on his own too much trouble. :-(
Didn't help my mood that I'd had chemotherapy a week or so before, but still.

redgunamo
01-31-2017, 08:55 PM
Oh, yeah, Barnstaple. I sought in vain for a curry shop. What kind of English town doesn't have a curry shop, ffs?
Ended up in a **** Chinese where everything I wanted only came as a dish for two and the staff clearly found having to serve a man on his own too much trouble. :-(
Didn't help my mood that I'd had chemotherapy a week or so before, but still.

All I think of Barnstaple is this ->

https://youtu.be/UHaFnSFo5K0

What a guy!

devongunner
01-31-2017, 10:17 PM
Last Thursday on the junction just down from Battersea Dogs home (hmmm) Truly awful and the door didn't close so bloody freezing too

IUFG
02-01-2017, 08:56 AM
glooptastic

Took me a while to find it . . .

http://www.mrchu.co.uk/

Sir C
02-01-2017, 09:05 AM
glooptastic

Took me a while to find it . . .

http://www.mrchu.co.uk/

I might base a holidasy around that place i. Thank you.

devongunner
02-01-2017, 12:33 PM
The food is good in there though