PDA

View Full Version : Singapore noodles tonight.

Sir C
01-31-2017, 04:11 PM
Anyone got any tips?

Burney
01-31-2017, 04:14 PM
Anyone got any tips?

Yes. Add the curry powder to the water in which you soak your noodles, as that avoids most of the grittiness.

Alternatively, buy the pre-cooked, ready-yellowed wons from Tesco, which are fine.

I'm doing lamb kebabs in flatbreads with huge amounts of garlic, cumin, coriander and red onion.

I shall smell quite bad tomorrow imo. And I will have humous in my new beard. :cloud9:

IUFG
01-31-2017, 04:18 PM
I love a Singapore noodle, me.

are you doing the red-tinged pork?

Sir C
01-31-2017, 04:21 PM

No, sadly not. I have some leftover chicken and some prawns.

Burney
01-31-2017, 04:21 PM

Oh, you've got to do the Char Siu Pork imo. It's dead simple. You just make the marinade, trim the pork loin, add a load of red food colouring to it and leave it for 24 hours in the fridge.

Burney
01-31-2017, 04:22 PM
No, sadly not. I have some leftover chicken and some prawns.

'Leftover chicken'

HA!

Pat Vegas
01-31-2017, 04:22 PM
Anyone got any tips?

I quite fancy that too.

On a separate note are there any establishments in China town that are good?
I haven't been down there for years. I liked this one place that was on loads of levels. the staff were a bit shouty.

'How many?' 2 please 'ok upstairs upstairs' 'you go'

All the chinese fellas could stay downstairs :-(

Pat Vegas
01-31-2017, 04:23 PM
Oh, you've got to do the Char Siu Pork imo. It's dead simple. You just make the marinade, trim the pork loin, add a load of red food colouring to it and leave it for 24 hours in the fridge.

Char Siu Pork :-( He always scored against us.

Sir C
01-31-2017, 04:23 PM
Yes. Add the curry powder to the water in which you soak your noodles, as that avoids most of the grittiness.

Alternatively, buy the pre-cooked, ready-yellowed wons from Tesco, which are fine.

I'm doing lamb kebabs in flatbreads with huge amounts of garlic, cumin, coriander and red onion.

I shall smell quite bad tomorrow imo. And I will have humous in my new beard. :cloud9:

Excellent advice, I shall do so.

You should try these flatbreads, available from Ocado. Better than anything I can make at home.

http://www.crostamollica.com/products/classic-piada-flatbreads/

Burney
01-31-2017, 04:24 PM
I quite fancy that too.

I haven't been down there for years. I liked this one place that was on loads of levels. the staff were a bit shouty.

You have to remember that the Chinese hate us, f. Not only are they spectacularly racist, but they're also still cross about the Opium Wars.

Sir C
01-31-2017, 04:24 PM
'Leftover chicken'

HA!

You'd be amazed. I have fully embraced leftovers BUT I only consider them viable for 24 hours after being cooked. Not a moment longer.

IUFG
01-31-2017, 04:26 PM
You have to admire their inventiveness when it comes to the billing down there.

last time it was 6 dishes for 4 people and two pints that didn't ever arrive at the table.

Still, that Roulette money doesn't print itself...

Sir C
01-31-2017, 04:26 PM
I quite fancy that too.

I know several excellent ones but I can never remember their names :-(

There's a great one in Newport Court where the waiters' rudeness is quite, quite mesmerising.

Burney
01-31-2017, 04:27 PM
Excellent advice, I shall do so.

You should try these flatbreads, available from Ocado. Better than anything I can make at home.

http://www.crostamollica.com/products/classic-piada-flatbreads/

Actually, Sainsbury's and Tesco have all of a sudden started doing decent, non-pitta flatbreads, but I shall be sure to give them a try.

I can't believe you're just ignoring my beard news. :-(

IUFG
01-31-2017, 04:28 PM
you've grown a beard? for shame.

Anyway, a leeetle bit late to that particular party, no?

Sir C
01-31-2017, 04:29 PM
Actually, Sainsbury's and Tesco have all of a sudden started doing decent, non-pitta flatbreads, but I shall be sure to give them a try.

I can't believe you're just ignoring my beard news. :-(

Sorry about that, it sort of passed me by because I have been doing a little goatee thing on and off for a while.

Is it the full Captain Birdseye?

I made the moussaka again on Saturday, by the way. Leftovers for lunch on Sunday. It's fúcking great.

Burney
01-31-2017, 04:31 PM
Sorry about that, it sort of passed me by because I have been doing a little goatee thing on and off for a while.

Is it the full Captain Birdseye?

I made the moussaka again on Saturday, by the way. Leftovers for lunch on Sunday. It's fúcking great.

Yes. No messing about. I want to look like Roy Keane, but slightly less mad. Five days in now.

I can't do the moussaka due to the dreaded courgette shortage, but rest assured I shall.

Burney
01-31-2017, 04:32 PM
you've grown a beard? for shame.

Anyway, a leeetle bit late to that particular party, no?

I refused to do it when it was fashionable. I've had to wait for the fad to slacken.

I've basically grown a beard every ten years for the last two decades or so. :-\

Pat Vegas
01-31-2017, 04:32 PM
You have to remember that the Chinese hate us, f. Not only are they spectacularly racist, but they're also still cross about the Opium Wars.

Now days they have eastern european slaves delivering the food, I quite like the Chinatown in New York it's a proper town and not completely touristy. I went in a shop to buy a lighter and they got upset :shrug: I did the lighter motion with my fingers and they told me to leave. Perhaps it's something offensive in China.

I do love when they shout though.
There was a old fashioned chinese takeaway in angel for many years.
The lady at the counter was so nice and quiet almost whispering. then she'd stick her head through the door and scream at the chefs.

But I want to know where they got their chinese tv channels from? and those awful calendars.

PSRB
01-31-2017, 04:33 PM
I know several excellent ones but I can never remember their names :-(

There's a great one in Newport Court where the waiters' rudeness is quite, quite mesmerising.

Manchester has some lovely Chinese restaurants, unsurprisingly none of them are actually in Chinatown

Burney
01-31-2017, 04:35 PM
Manchester has some lovely Chinese restaurants, unsurprisingly none of them are actually in Chinatown

Everywhere nice in Manchester is basically entirely patronised by the pooves in my experience. Is this the case?

Sir C
01-31-2017, 04:35 PM

I had dinner, alone, in the chinatown in Manchester once. It wasn't the best evening of my life, to be honest.

Pat Vegas
01-31-2017, 04:36 PM

I went to a Chinese restaurant in Manchester. I thought it was promising as it was full of chinese fellas.
I thought I'd be brave and order jellyfish. It was disgusting :-(

Sir C
01-31-2017, 04:36 PM
Everywhere nice in Manchester is basically entirely patronised by the pooves in my experience. Is this the case?

They have pooves in Manchester now? What on earth would Hilda Ogden have said?

Burney
01-31-2017, 04:38 PM
Now days they have eastern european slaves delivering the food, I quite like the Chinatown in New York it's a proper town and not completely touristy. I went in a shop to buy a lighter and they got upset :shrug: I did the lighter motion with my fingers and they told me to leave. Perhaps it's something offensive in China.

I do love when they shout though.
There was a old fashioned chinese takeaway in angel for many years.
The lady at the counter was so nice and quiet almost whispering. then she'd stick her head through the door and scream at the chefs.

But I want to know where they got their chinese tv channels from? and those awful calendars.

It does always strike me as funny that the Chinese opened so many of the first foreign restaurants over here given that as a people they seem so spectacularly unsuited to customer service. I reckon it only worked because we're awful at it as well.

Burney
01-31-2017, 04:39 PM
They have pooves in Manchester now? What on earth would Hilda Ogden have said?

Oh, yes. Crawling with them, it is. I blame the BBC.

PSRB
01-31-2017, 04:39 PM

Hmm, not sure I'd agree anymore. Canal (silent C) Street used to be quite pleasant but now it's over the top camp. Northern Quarter (young, trendy types) and Spinningfields (banking, media types) both have some cracking bars and restaurants

PSRB
01-31-2017, 04:40 PM
I had dinner, alone, in the chinatown in Manchester once. It wasn't the best evening of my life, to be honest.

Did well to live to tell the tale. It's just dangerous round there

redgunamo
01-31-2017, 04:46 PM
I quite fancy that too.

Won Kei? No idea if it's still there.

Burney
01-31-2017, 04:46 PM
Hmm, not sure I'd agree anymore. Canal (silent C) Street used to be quite pleasant but now it's over the top camp. Northern Quarter (young, trendy types) and Spinningfields (banking, media types) both have some cracking bars and restaurants

I am basing my judgment on a few years ago, to be fair. Ultimately, though, my problem with Manchester is the sheer size of the chip every single resident seems to have on their shoulder about London.

Honestly, it sometimes feels near-impossible to get through a conversation with most Mancunian without them telling you what a shïthole they think London is.

Burney
01-31-2017, 04:47 PM

Oh, yes. That's still there. The triads have to launder their money somehow.

Pat Vegas
01-31-2017, 04:48 PM

That's the one.
made you share big round tables with tourists.

PSRB
01-31-2017, 04:52 PM
I am basing my judgment on a few years ago, to be fair. Ultimately, though, my problem with Manchester is the sheer size of the chip every single resident seems to have on their shoulder about London.

Honestly, it sometimes feels near-impossible to get through a conversation with most Mancunian without them telling you what a shïthole they think London is.

Lets be fair, the same applies with most Londoners discussing Manchester. Having lived in both for considerable periods, London is superior in everyway but that's not to say that Manchester hasn't improved immensely......mostly due to the IRA blowing it up

Burney
01-31-2017, 04:55 PM
Lets be fair, the same applies with most Londoners discussing Manchester. Having lived in both for considerable periods, London is superior in everyway but that's not to say that Manchester hasn't improved immensely......mostly due to the IRA blowing it up

Oh, Londoners have disdain for Manchester in the same way they have disdain for pretty much everywhere that isn't London. However, the difference is that I don't think I've ever felt the need to tell a visitor to London how much I despise his home town, while Manchurians seem to go out of their way to do so to anyone from London.