PDA

View Full Version : Petition.parliament.uk - will someone please shut this bloody thing down?

Burney
01-31-2017, 10:33 AM
It's been hanging around for a few years now and it serves fück all purpose beyond filling the odd news column, clogging up one's Twitter feed and making keyboard warriors feel like activists. Not one of the petitions has ever made a fück worth of difference to anything ever - but people keep signing the bloody things like fücking lemmings.

Sir C
01-31-2017, 10:35 AM
It's been hanging around for a few years now and it serves fück all purpose beyond filling the odd news column, clogging up one's Twitter feed and making keyboard warriors feel like activists. Not one of the petitions has ever made a fück worth of difference to anything ever - but people keep signing the bloody things like fücking lemmings.

You could start a petition..?

Burney
01-31-2017, 10:38 AM
You could start a petition..?

:hehe: It's a good shout, but there's a structural flaw in the idea somewhere.

Norn Iron
01-31-2017, 10:55 AM

There was a historian on twitter who claimed that now the petition had 1.3m signatures,it made up the difference in the Brexit vote and it was proof that we should remain. Probably the dumbest tweet I've ever seen on twitter.

Burney
01-31-2017, 11:09 AM
There was a historian on twitter who claimed that now the petition had 1.3m signatures,it made up the difference in the Brexit vote and it was proof that we should remain. Probably the dumbest tweet I've ever seen on twitter.

Was it a historian or was it philosopher AC Grayling, who has spent the last six months on Twitter showing that philosophers can be REALLY fücking stupid?

Norn Iron
01-31-2017, 11:17 AM
Was it a historian or was it philosopher AC Grayling, who has spent the last six months on Twitter showing that philosophers can be REALLY fücking stupid?

This is the offending tweet. It has almost 2k retweets. That's what annoys me. Someone tweets complete and utter nonsense with flawed logic and almost 2k morons agree with her

https://twitter.com/FernRiddell/status/826073515191308288

Burney
01-31-2017, 11:22 AM
This is the offending tweet. It has almost 2k retweets. That's what annoys me. Someone tweets complete and utter nonsense with flawed logic and almost 2k morons agree with her

https://twitter.com/FernRiddell/status/826073515191308288

She seems quite remarkably stupid, I must say. That said, being on the losing side in the referendum does seem to have lowered the IQ of quite a lot of people I had previously thought reasonably bright.

Peter
01-31-2017, 11:23 AM

You could host it on here. Site is so bad hardly anyone will bother using it :p

Sir C
01-31-2017, 11:56 AM

If you can't beat 'em...

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/178844

redgunamo
01-31-2017, 11:58 AM
She seems quite remarkably stupid, I must say. That said, being on the losing side in the referendum does seem to have lowered the IQ of quite a lot of people I had previously thought reasonably bright.

Still would've though, I suppose.

redgunamo
01-31-2017, 11:59 AM

Good afternoon, Peter.

Sir C
01-31-2017, 12:00 PM

Oh it's fine once one becomes accustomed to it, old chap.

Are you keeping well? I expect Mr Corbyn is troubling your sleeping hours?

Burney
01-31-2017, 01:03 PM
If you can't beat 'em...

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/178844

it's just ticked over the 100,000 mark.

Sir C
01-31-2017, 01:07 PM
it's just ticked over the 100,000 mark.

It's a shame the chap who started it doesn't spika da English too good.

Donald Trump should be invited to make an official State Visit because he is the leader of a free world and U.K. is a country that supports free speech and does not believe that people that appose our point of view should be gagged.

Luis Anaconda
01-31-2017, 01:08 PM

Donald Trump should be invited to make an official State Visit because he is the leader of a free world and U.K. is a country that supports free speech and does not believe that people that appose our point of view should be gagged.

So that's what happened to the Italian guy in Allo Allo

Sir C
01-31-2017, 01:09 PM
So that's what happened to the Italian guy in Allo Allo

What a mistake-a to make-a!

Burney
01-31-2017, 01:13 PM

Yes. It's fair to say, of course, that anyone who starts one of these bloody things is by definition a self-important fückwit, though, so one can hardly be surprised.

Luis Anaconda
01-31-2017, 01:30 PM
Yes. It's fair to say, of course, that anyone who starts one of these bloody things is by definition a self-important fückwit, though, so one can hardly be surprised.
:(
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/176584

Pat Vegas
01-31-2017, 01:32 PM

:hehe:

I like this one https://petition.parliament.uk/archived/petitions/19560

Burney
01-31-2017, 01:37 PM

Was that you, la? Well I'll let you off on the grounds that you were probably pïssed.

Luis Anaconda
01-31-2017, 01:39 PM
Was that you, la? Well I'll let you off on the grounds that you were probably pïssed.
No - I would have recommended the death penalty bought back just for him and Martin Atkinson

SWv2
01-31-2017, 01:44 PM

Has any petition ever made a difference?

Pat Vegas
01-31-2017, 01:46 PM
Has any petition ever made a difference?

Well if you consider riots a petition I'd say the Poll tax riots.

They said 'PAY NO POLL TAX' and smashed a few windows and the Government said ok no more Poll Tax.

Here is Council tax instead.

SWv2
01-31-2017, 01:48 PM

They said 'PAY NO POLL TAX' and smashed a few windows and the Government said ok no more Poll Tax.

You are confusing public disorder with signing a sheet.

Pat Vegas
01-31-2017, 01:51 PM
You are confusing public disorder with signing a sheet.

According to this they don't work. So the best route is forget filling in a form do some public disorder.

http://www.newstatesman.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/00002.jpg?itok=jaosBhBE

Burney
01-31-2017, 01:52 PM

The riots didn't kill the Poll Tax, rebellion within Cabinet did. It's one of those bits of historical shorthand that TV likes to indulge in, but which are utterly wrong.

It was good when the horse ran over that hippy, though. :hehe:

Pat Vegas
01-31-2017, 01:55 PM
The riots didn't kill the Poll Tax, rebellion within Cabinet did. It's one of those bits of historical shorthand that TV likes to indulge in, but which are utterly wrong.

It was good when the horse ran over that hippy, though. :hehe:

I was very young at the time Burney. I grew up in a time of being scared of angry poll tax mobs, Fireworks exploding in your face or in your pocket, Horrific burns if you picked up sparklers, IRA, erm I will add more later.

Burney
01-31-2017, 01:57 PM
I was very young at the time Burney. I grew up in a time of being scared of angry poll tax mobs, Fireworks exploding in your face or in your pocket, Horrific burns if you picked up sparklers, IRA, erm I will add more later.

Yeah, the IRA were forever bombing us. Or threatening to. I don't ever remember being terribly worried about it, though - or anyone else being, for that matter. Everyone just got on with it. :shrug:

The sparkler thing shat me right up, though. :-(