PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between Rugby League and Rugby Union

Pat Vegas
01-25-2017, 02:56 PM
And why is there a Canadian team in Rugby league?

Luis Anaconda
01-25-2017, 03:03 PM

That was quite bizarre. This guy wants to set up teams all over the world to play in the English league. It could catch on.

The original difference was that league was professional and union amateur, the former set up when a bunch of mardy northerners wanted paying and split from union in 1895 (southern time - it still is 1895 is some parts of the north).

They then made it 13 a side instead of 15 and stripped away any of the game's complexities like the scrum and the line-out, ending up with 26 identically sized, identical looking thugs seeing who could run directly into one another the hardest and the fastest

Pokster
01-25-2017, 03:06 PM

One is played by men, the other is played by gay southerners who take part in strange games like sticky biscuit as somne sort of fun activity.

Rugby League is played by 13 a side, the ball is in play longer and is easier to understand. Rugby Union still gives big fat blokes a chance to play sport. :fishing:

Luis Anaconda
01-25-2017, 03:07 PM
One is played by men, the other is played by gay southerners who take part in strange games like sticky biscuit as somne sort of fun activity.

Rugby League is played by 13 a side, the ball is in play longer and is easier to understand. Rugby Union still gives big fat blokes a chance to play sport. :fishing:

what took you so long

PSRB
01-25-2017, 03:08 PM

as my mate always said "League, that's just big men running in straight lines"

IUFG
01-25-2017, 03:09 PM
I must say, I prefer to watch rugby league at club level rather than rugby union.

however, RL at international level is a bit pointless imo.

Pat Vegas
01-25-2017, 03:11 PM
That was quite bizarre. This guy wants to set up teams all over the world to play in the English league. It could catch on.

The original difference was that league was professional and union amateur, the former set up when a bunch of mardy northerners wanted paying and split from union in 1895 (southern time - it still is 1895 is some parts of the north).

They then made it 13 a side instead of 15 and stripped away any of the game's complexities like the scrum and the line-out, ending up with 26 identically sized, identical looking thugs seeing who could run directly into one another the hardest and the fastest

I have Premier Sports and I saw an advert for all these games coming up.
and heard TORONTO Wolfpack and thought who the hell are they.

Luis Anaconda
01-25-2017, 03:20 PM
I have Premier Sports and I saw an advert for all these games coming up.
and heard TORONTO Wolfpack and thought who the hell are they.

Just read about them in the Times on Monday. Good away trip that

Tony C
01-26-2017, 11:48 AM
Love my rugby league & a huge NRL fan.

Super fast paced and exciting.

Johnathan Thurston :love:

that NRL final from a couple years back...North Queensland vs Brisbane was probably the most epic match ever.

Don't suppose anyone else catches Monday Night's with Matty Johns :))

-

I'm quite pleased the Wolfpack are coming over...anything to help the game grow globally. Always baffles that we've got two great products in the SuperLeague and the NRL but the game still stuggles financially.

-

Btw Wayne Bennett needs to sort his sh*t out....I was so excited when he took over the England reigns. I was quite disappointed with the 4 Nations.

Granted Australia are another planet at the moment with their star quality - Thurston, Cameron Smith, Michael Morgan, Cooper Cronk, Darius Boyd, the big man GI...Greg Inglis and so many more but ffs we shouldn't be getting beat that badly to them. I was expecting a much better performance with us pushing them close.

Losing to New Zealand was pathetic...Scotland drew with them and that says how bad NZ are at the moment.

Just my opinion but I feel England have a group of players than can win the World Cup but Wayne needs to get more out of them.

-