PDA

View Full Version : Charles, PRSB - I'm unconvinced on J Sheekey

World's End Stella
01-24-2017, 04:07 PM
based on a quick review of the menu.

It looks like really simple to the point of being boring fish/seafood dishes that are very overpriced. £44 for a grilled lobster :yikes:

What's so special about it then?

Sir C
01-24-2017, 04:09 PM

It looks like really simple to the point of being boring fish/seafood dishes that are very overpriced. £44 for a grilled lobster :yikes:

It's J Sheekey, you pig-ignorant oaf.

For the love of God go to McDonalds where you'll feel comfortable. And never, ever ask me for a restaurant recommendation again. I cannot bear to cast my pearls before such swine as you.

Monty92
01-24-2017, 04:14 PM

Surely you wouldn't expect a whole lobster in an upscale London restaurant to come much cheaper than that?

World's End Stella
01-24-2017, 04:17 PM
It's J Sheekey, you pig-ignorant oaf.

For the love of God go to McDonalds where you'll feel comfortable. And never, ever ask me for a restaurant recommendation again. I cannot bear to cast my pearls before such swine as you.

Nah *******s to that. It looks really boring.

Lobster Mayonnaise :hehe:
Grilled Dover Sole :hehe:
Lobster Grilled or Thermidor (with chips) :clap:

Honestly, you two must be taking the piss.

World's End Stella
01-24-2017, 04:18 PM
Surely you wouldn't expect a whole lobster in an upscale London restaurant to come much cheaper than that?

As it has Thermidor as an option I'm assuming it is half a lobster. I've made lobster thermidor (it's sh1t) and it is so rich that there's no way any sane man would try to eat all of one. :puke:

Burney
01-24-2017, 04:25 PM
As it has Thermidor as an option I'm assuming it is half a lobster. I've made lobster thermidor (it's sh1t) and it is so rich that there's no way any sane man would try to eat all of one. :puke:

Sir C and I have eaten whole Lobster thermidor together. As have our womenfolk. With chips.

You, sir, are a weakling and a homo.

World's End Stella
01-24-2017, 04:25 PM

Didn't a see you and that pompous old stoat talking about somewhere that did lamb ribs or something like that?

That sounded interesting, certainly when compared to grilled fish.

Monty92
01-24-2017, 04:29 PM
Didn't a see you and that pompous old stoat talking about somewhere that did lamb ribs or something like that?

That sounded interesting, certainly when compared to grilled fish.

Smoking Goat, perhaps?

Charlie mentioned Barrafina. That's great - just go there, if you don't mind eating while sitting on a bar stool.

World's End Stella
01-24-2017, 04:31 PM
Sir C and I have eaten whole Lobster thermidor together. As have our womenfolk. With chips.

You, sir, are a weakling and a homo.

Perhaps I could eat more of it if it was any good. The thermidor sauce overwhelmed the lobster and the whole thing was just sickly and boring. The addition of chips would just make it too awful, I think.

You, Charles and your birds need to appreciate light, delicate flavours which are beautifully structured and leave the diner feeling refreshed and inquisitive.

I expect you were all hammered and straight on the Rennies afterwards, you cretins.

World's End Stella
01-24-2017, 04:33 PM
Smoking Goat, perhaps?

Charlie mentioned Barrafina. That's great - just go there, if you don't mind eating while sitting on a bar stool.

Yeah that was it, you preferred Barrafina then? I've had a lot of tapas recently so was thinking of something else. Can you book Smoking Goat and what sort of food is it?

I'd prefer something other than grilled fish smothered in a sickly cream sauce, if possible.

Burney
01-24-2017, 04:36 PM
Yeah that was it, you preferred Barrafina then? I've had a lot of tapas recently so was thinking of something else. Can you book Smoking Goat and what sort of food is it?

I'd prefer something other than grilled fish smothered in a sickly cream sauce, if possible.

Right. So you're a bad cook. Stick to cooking turkey, dear. :hehe:

Mo Britain less Europe
01-24-2017, 04:39 PM
I believe they are the only place in London which serves Arbroath smokies. That is recommendation enough.

World's End Stella
01-24-2017, 04:41 PM
Right. So you're a bad cook. Stick to cooking turkey, dear. :hehe:

No, I'm actually an excellent cook, which is why my turkey is so outstanding, dear. :-)

And I've eaten it in a restaurant in NY and didn't like it there, either. So I tried to make it better, myself, by cutting down on the richness of the sauce. But it was still sh1t.

Lobster needs only to be properly cooked, removed from the shell and dunked in butter with a bit of garlic and lemon. With a fresh vinaigrette salad on the side. Sophisticated taste buds, you see.

SWv2
01-24-2017, 04:44 PM
Lobster needs only to be properly cooked, removed from the shell and dunked in butter with a bit of garlic and lemon. With a fresh vinaigrette salad on the side.

and chips, obviously?

And no salad. At all.

Monty92
01-24-2017, 04:45 PM

No, you can't book Smoking Goat and it's tiny - no more than 8-10 tables.

It's Thai barbecued meat and fish, smoked and very spicy. Some dishes are sickly sweet, as Thai tends to be, but if you like intense flavours and heat, it's pretty damn good.

World's End Stella
01-24-2017, 04:49 PM

It's Thai barbecued meat and fish, smoked and very spicy. Some dishes are sickly sweet, as Thai tends to be, but if you like complex flavours and heat, it's pretty damn good.

Hmmm, will be with the missus and my sister and that food pre-theatre doesn't sound ideal.

Are all the Barrafinas the same or is anyone of them better than the others? I promise this will be my last question on the matter.

World's End Stella
01-24-2017, 04:50 PM
and chips, obviously?

And no salad. At all.

Unsurprisingly, your views on food are similar to Charles and Burney. I bet you like Shawarma as well. Chips my arse.

Sir C
01-24-2017, 04:52 PM

It's Thai barbecued meat and fish, smoked and very spicy. Some dishes are sickly sweet, as Thai tends to be, but if you like intense flavours and heat, it's pretty damn good.

Why are encouraging this ignorant colonial to take up space in one of our fine establishments?

He probably wants hominy grits. Whatever they are.

Monty92
01-24-2017, 04:55 PM
Hmmm, will be with the missus and my sister and that food pre-theatre doesn't sound ideal.

Are all the Barrafinas the same or is anyone of them better than the others? I promise this will be my last question on the matter.

Adelaide Street, probably. But will your guests be ok with the bar stools? They can be rather polarising.

PSRB
01-24-2017, 04:55 PM
Why are encouraging this ignorant colonial to take up space in one of our fine establishments?

He probably wants hominy grits. Whatever they are.

I did think about suggesting Rules but then realised he'd never get in

SWv2
01-24-2017, 04:56 PM
Unsurprisingly, your views on food are similar to Charles and Burney. I bet you like Shawarma as well. Chips my arse.

**** all wrong with shwarma. Or chips.

World's End Stella
01-24-2017, 05:00 PM

I've eaten there - NY eve dinner as I recall. Great atmosphere, food was solid and acceptable. Nice night.

Although I yearned for some grilled fish with mayonnaise or a rich cream sauce. :rolleyes:

Sir C
01-24-2017, 05:02 PM

They love dumb foreigners, they can charge them all the money in the world in the knowledge that you'll coo about the 'cute' uniformed doorman and so on.

:****er:

PSRB
01-24-2017, 05:04 PM
They love dumb foreigners, they can charge them all the money in the world in the knowledge that you'll coo about the 'cute' uniformed doorman and so on.

:****er:

London's changed :-(

World's End Stella
01-24-2017, 05:05 PM
**** all wrong with shwarma. Or chips.

Some similarities to lobster thermidor, actually. Both incredibly rich so they appeal to those with limited palates but the more discerning diner will understand how basic and unchallenging they really are.

Sort of like a sausage and egg mcmuffin.

SWv2
01-24-2017, 05:08 PM
Some similarities to lobster thermidor, actually. Both incredibly rich so they appeal to those with limited palates but the more discerning diner will understand how basic and unchallenging they really are.

Sort of like a sausage and egg mcmuffin.

At risk of stating the obvious there is very clearly fúck all wrong with sausage & egg mcmuffins also.

I'm off here on friday night.

http://lecrivain.com/

World's End Stella
01-24-2017, 05:15 PM
At risk of stating the obvious there is very clearly fúck all wrong with sausage & egg mcmuffins also.

I'm off here on friday night.

http://lecrivain.com/

A French restaurant whose name in English means 'The Writer'. Bizarre, although the menu looks nice.

I'd have the mackerel and the pigeon, for what it's worth.

SWv2
01-24-2017, 05:20 PM
A French restaurant whose name in English means 'The Writer'. Bizarre, although the menu looks nice.

I'd have the mackerel and the pigeon, for what it's worth.

I was always of the opinion, perhaps misguided, that mackerel was a bit fúcking rank.

Not sure I have ever had it not from a tin, and it was fúcking rank.

World's End Stella
01-24-2017, 05:27 PM
I was always of the opinion, perhaps misguided, that mackerel was a bit fúcking rank.

Not sure I have ever had it not from a tin, and it was fúcking rank.

Lesser of evils. Pan fried foie gras is an outrage. Scallops are boring and onion soup will leave you with horrendous wind.

And I expect that your mackerel was cooked to death, escabeche means it is effectively pickled and therefore probably quite lovely.

SWv2
01-24-2017, 05:29 PM
Lesser of evils. Pan fried foie gras is an outrage. Scallops are boring and onion soup will leave you with horrendous wind.

And I expect that your mackerel was cooked to death, escabeche means it is effectively pickled and therefore probably quite lovely.

I quite like pan fried foie gras when the chance arises.

:hehe:

Note. Geese. No, not bothered.

World's End Stella
01-24-2017, 05:30 PM

Actually I just checked the tasting menu and it looks very good, turbot and Sika deer. I've had Sika deer before, the best venison I've ever had by some distance. Outstanding.

Lar d'Arse
01-25-2017, 01:56 PM
I can vouch for the quality of the food at L'Ecrivain, and particularly the Sika Deer which I very much enjoyed the last time I was fortunate enough to eat there.