PDA

View Full Version : What are we going to do with young Xhaka.

Pat Vegas
01-23-2017, 10:35 AM
certainly not the first Arsenal player who needs to calm down a bit.

He seems a bit of a lunatic. even when mustafi scored Xhaka gave him a good slap on the back of the head.

Maybe they are taking this defensive midfielder role too seriously. They must have listened to years of people :shout: for one. So with him and Coq we have now a pair of lunatics who can cost us games.

Ash
01-23-2017, 10:37 AM

He seems a bit of a lunatic. even when mustafi scored Xhaka gave him a good slap on the back of the head.

Maybe they are taking this defensive midfielder role too seriously. They must have listened to years of people :shout: for one. So with him and Coq we have now a pair of lunatics who can cost us games.

Albanians :-(

Mind you our German one seems fairly well tamed. Well done the Chermans.

Burney
01-23-2017, 10:37 AM

I think he just likes kicking people. :shrug: Referees need to be more understanding of this lifestyle choice imo.

Pat Vegas
01-23-2017, 10:38 AM
I think he just likes kicking people. :shrug: Referees need to be more understanding of this lifestyle choice imo.

:nod: I can't be doing with all this card shaming.

PSRB
01-23-2017, 10:39 AM

Was probably our best player up to that point......still think it was harsh though

Burney
01-23-2017, 10:41 AM
:nod: I can't be doing with all this card shaming.

I think he should go into such tackles shouting 'Allahu Akbar!' Then he could get away with it on the grounds that carding him for it would be Islamophobic.

Pat Vegas
Was probably our best player up to that point......still think it was harsh though

I don't think it was as two footed as it appeared.

Xhaka played a couple of long range tremendous passes.

World's End Stella

Buy a really good defensive midfielder and play them together in our first choice 11 thereby consigning Ramsey to the bench.

Sir C
01-23-2017, 10:43 AM

We didn't mind when Vieira was getting sent off every other week :shrug:

Pat Vegas
01-23-2017, 10:47 AM

How about when he threw the shirt on the floor?

That did happen right? or was it a dream?

Burney
01-23-2017, 10:48 AM

We did a bit, I think. We used to say things like 'Oh, for fück's sake! Vieira's suspended for three games again!'

PSRB
01-23-2017, 10:48 AM
We did a bit, I think. We used to say things like 'Oh, for fück's sake! Vieira's suspended for three games again!'

The spitting one was particularly dumb

Burney
01-23-2017, 10:49 AM
How about when he threw the shirt on the floor?

That did happen right? or was it a dream?

Or when he gobbed on that fat piece of shït Ruddock. :hehe:

Pat Vegas
01-23-2017, 10:54 AM
Or when he gobbed on that fat piece of shït Ruddock. :hehe:

I was told a story about Ruddock that Robbie Folwer made fun of his trainers so Ruddock chinned him.

This also could be a dream.

Burney
01-23-2017, 10:57 AM
I was told a story about Ruddock that Robbie Folwer made fun of his trainers so Ruddock chinned him.

This also could be a dream.

I think the story was that Fowler thought it would be a wheeze to cut up said trainers, upon which Ruddock gave him a richly-deserved smack.

God, I'd forgotten how much I hated Fowler until you just mentioned him. :-(

eastgermanautos
01-23-2017, 11:31 AM
I think he should go into such tackles shouting 'Allahu Akbar!' Then he could get away with it on the grounds that carding him for it would be Islamophobic.

Fvck yeah. .

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
01-23-2017, 11:47 AM

He just has to grow up a bit. It was a piece of poor play giving the ball away, then went in to try and win it back a little too eagerly. He has given away a couple of very silly pelanties as well so far, both of which were very avoidable. He has ability, no doubt, but it is not much use from the stand.

Dare I say, he will learn from this?

Luis Anaconda
01-23-2017, 11:52 AM
He just has to grow up a bit. It was a piece of poor play giving the ball away, then went in to try and win it back a little too eagerly. He has given away a couple of very silly pelanties as well so far, both of which were very avoidable. He has ability, no doubt, but it is not much use from the stand.

Wise words, abr

PSRB
01-23-2017, 12:13 PM

His track record suggests probably not. I rather like him, every side needs a loose cannon

Sir C
01-23-2017, 12:25 PM
Fvck yeah. .

Are you still in Berlin? If you take a train to Munich, I can hook you up with a 'lady' who's always up for a good time. 'She' smells a bit of sick and stale beer but looks terrific in a dirndl.

Burney
01-23-2017, 12:28 PM
Are you still in Berlin? If you take a train to Munich, I can hook you up with a 'lady' who's always up for a good time. 'She' smells a bit of sick and stale beer but looks terrific in a dirndl.

The beard's problematic, though. :-(

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
01-23-2017, 12:35 PM
His track record suggests probably not. I rather like him, every side needs a loose cannon

People do learn...one hopes he does before it's too late.

IUFG
01-23-2017, 12:40 PM
Did Imagine it, or did someone on MOTD2 reckon he's playing out of position?

not that that would be unusual for a Wenger team, of course...

Luis Anaconda
01-23-2017, 12:45 PM
Did Imagine it, or did someone on MOTD2 reckon he's playing out of position?

not that that would be unusual for a Wenger team, of course...

He's a central midfielder playing in central midfield - not sure how that is out of position

Sir C
01-23-2017, 12:47 PM
The beard's problematic, though. :-(

You speak for yourself.

Pat Vegas
01-23-2017, 12:48 PM
He's a central midfielder playing in central midfield - not sure how that is out of position

Danny Murphy says otherwise :hehe:

He feels sorry for him as he gets these red cards as he is being played out of position.

IUFG
01-23-2017, 12:51 PM
that's right, f. :thumbup: (Drink had been taken last night)

a midfielder who shouldn't be left in a position where he has to tackle, or some such nonsense.

Pat Vegas
01-23-2017, 12:52 PM
that's right, f. :thumbup: (Drink had been taken last night)

a midfielder who shouldn't be left in a position where he has to tackle, or some such nonsense.

'He likes to shoot and pass' 'that's why he's getting red cards'

Luis Anaconda
01-23-2017, 01:01 PM
'He likes to shoot and pass' 'that's why he's getting red cards'

Jesus that is embarrassing

Pat Vegas
01-23-2017, 01:07 PM
Jesus that is embarrassing

To be fair LA I have now found the exact quote. He was actually trying to stick up for Xhaka though.

"He's playing the holding role for Arsenal where he ends up getting isolated because of the way they play."

"I think his strengths are his passing and shooting which are much better served higher up the pitch.

"When he plays in this role he gets isolated - he's becoming a liability.

"He gets himself in all sorts of bother because of his lack of athleticism.

Luis Anaconda
01-23-2017, 01:18 PM
To be fair LA I have now found the exact quote. He was actually trying to stick up for Xhaka though.

"He's playing the holding role for Arsenal where he ends up getting isolated because of the way they play."

"I think his strengths are his passing and shooting which are much better served higher up the pitch.

That is more reasonable - although the fact that the two red cards he has had have been comfortably in the opposition half should be noted. And when Coquelin plays he doesn't play the holding role

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
01-23-2017, 01:40 PM

Except that they were both very avoidable red cards and in situations where there was not much danger.

IUFG
01-23-2017, 01:41 PM
tbf, the won against Swansea(?) was never, ever a red.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
01-23-2017, 01:45 PM

I would tend to judge those incident in relation to how other similar incidents are dealt with. To date, I do not believe that we have seen a similar challenge from anyone else? Of course, I do not see every incident from every game so I could have missed some.

Pat Vegas
01-23-2017, 01:48 PM

Problem is Xhaka has the reputation and it won't help him.

So any strong yellow may lead to a red. He doesn't help himself earlier in the game yesterday squaring up to players.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
01-23-2017, 03:08 PM

So his strengths are shooting, based on one last minute hoof against a well beaten div 2 team, and another that was deflected.

Even on current form Rambo looks much more of a goal threat and when Rambo's on top form he's a completely different class.

Luis Anaconda
01-23-2017, 03:14 PM
So his strengths are shooting, based on one last minute hoof against a well beaten div 2 team, and another that was deflected.

Even on current form Rambo looks much more of a goal threat and when Rambo's on top form he's a completely different class.
And when exactly was "Rambo" on top form for Arsenal. Cup Final 2014?

SWv2
01-23-2017, 03:17 PM

"Rambo" :hehe:

Ganpati sounds like a card carrying wrong 'un.

Luis Anaconda
01-23-2017, 03:18 PM

I'm just hoping the Canadian doesn't see this

SWv2
01-23-2017, 03:27 PM

This Ganpati needs to proceed with caution else he will have an enemy for life.

I have strongly defended the Caerphilly lad for many years now but even I stop at "when Rambo's on top form he's a completely different class."

Goes without saying I would not reference him as Rambo what with my name not appearing on a national register of sorts.

Ash
01-23-2017, 03:27 PM

:nod: The correct spelling is Rimbaud.

Burney
01-23-2017, 03:31 PM
:nod: The correct spelling is Rimbaud.

:nod: Here he is enjoying himself up ver Lane (Verlaine).

19th Century gay French Symbolist poets banter. Oh yes. :nod:

Ash
01-23-2017, 03:37 PM

vg.

Here's where they lived in Royal College Street, Camden.

http://www.thecnj.myzen.co.uk/review/020906/images020906/feat03-3.jpg

Luis Anaconda
01-23-2017, 03:37 PM

:clap: vg b, vg indeed

Pat Vegas
01-23-2017, 03:38 PM

apart from that goal. Ramsey was pretty awful that day. IMO.

Burney
01-23-2017, 03:40 PM
:clap: vg b, vg indeed

ty la. Must admit I was rather pleased with it. :hehe:

Sir C
01-23-2017, 03:45 PM

A great day.

Je me souviens
Des jours anciens
Et je pleure :cry:

Burney
01-23-2017, 04:00 PM
A great day.

Je me souviens
Des jours anciens
Et je pleure :cry:

I think it's important to raise the tone sometimes, don't you?

World's End Stella
01-23-2017, 04:50 PM

Welcome :thumbup:

Luis Anaconda
01-23-2017, 04:51 PM
Welcome :thumbup:

:wave: :wave:

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
01-24-2017, 08:41 PM

The first half a season after Ozil signed before he got injured. He was scoring ****loads, no? That drag back in the box against Norwich when Jack scored that great goal.

For a few months we'd thought we'd got there one thing we've never had under AW - a good box to box mf who can get 20 a season.

I remember him being forward and getting into Ozil through balls regularly.

eastgermanautos
01-24-2017, 09:55 PM

Yes, do it! Imma hit that! Smelling of sick and stale beer is proof of merit. :titsup:

Godd*mn Berlin girls are hot. And there's so many of them, hot girls, striding purposefully around with their big scarves.

Tony C
01-24-2017, 09:55 PM
It's just a minor adjustment to his game....nothing major. The premier league is so incredibly artsy fartsy these days old school hard tacklers like are a thing of a past so it's shocking when he goes mental like he does.

Like that Chelsea Tottenham game at the end of last season....it was a war zone...but no different to the London derbies a decade ago.

The game today is seriously GAY.

redgunamo
01-24-2017, 10:42 PM
It's just a minor adjustment to his game....nothing major. The premier league is so incredibly artsy fartsy these days old school hard tacklers like are a thing of a past so it's shocking when he goes mental like he does.

Like that Chelsea Tottenham game at the end of last season....it was a war zone...but no different to the London derbies a decade ago.

The game today is seriously GAY.

Wise words, as ever, T.

redgunamo
01-24-2017, 10:45 PM
The first half a season after Ozil signed before he got injured. He was scoring ****loads, no? That drag back in the box against Norwich when Jack scored that great goal.

For a few months we'd thought we'd got there one thing we've never had under AW - a good box to box mf who can get 20 a season.

No, we thought he was on a decent run of goal-scoring form. And only because we had injuries at striker.

Anyway, we knew he was never going to do it every season.

Luis Anaconda
01-25-2017, 09:54 AM

Kind of my point - 2013/14 quite a long time ago. In fact you could argue that good spell was mostly 2013.

As for getting on the end of Mesut through balls regularly, i think you must be confusing him with someone else. Of his 16 goals for Arsenal that season not a single one was from a Mesut through ball. They combined for goals three times - one when Mesut's free kick came back off the keeper against Stoke and Ramsey put in the rebound; a little chipped pass inside for Ramsey's half volley against Liverpool; one when Mesut crossed for a Ramsey header against Cardiff

Ash
01-25-2017, 10:31 AM
Kind of my point - 2013/14 quite a long time ago. In fact you could argue that good spell was mostly 2013.

As for getting on the end of Mesut through balls regularly, i think you must be confusing him with someone else. Of his 16 goals for Arsenal that season not a single one was from a Mesut through ball. They combined for goals three times - one when Mesut's free kick came back off the keeper against Stoke and Ramsey put in the rebound; a little chipped pass inside for Ramsey's half volley against Liverpool; one when Mesut crossed for a Ramsey header against Cardiff

:bow: Do you actually remember this stuff or do you use the magic databases?

Luis Anaconda
01-25-2017, 10:47 AM
:bow: Do you actually remember this stuff or do you use the magic databases?
A bit of a, a bit of b. Funnily enough, I can't actually remember more recent games as well as ones from the 80s or early 90s though :(

PotatoNoel
01-27-2017, 05:37 PM
I like him. Very much. He's excellent on the ball, really has an eye for a pass. He also has that much needed aggression that you want in your team.

His tackling is an issue though. It was no secret he is a bit of a psycho; he got 3 red cards for Mönchengladbach last season. He is pretty young though, and has time to improve. Wenger has been coaching since before Xhaka was born. How is be going to help Xhaka to overcome this and improve his discipline record? The makings of a good player are all there - I think his defensive stats are better than Kante's this season. This area of his game needs to be remedied though.