PDA

View Full Version : Shortest time you've stayed at a new job?

Pat Vegas
01-20-2017, 10:39 AM
and what was the reason for your quick departure?

PSRB
01-20-2017, 10:41 AM

5 months and 3 of those on paid leave :-)

Essentially, the job I was doing was not "as advertised", would never have taken the role if I'd known what I did after 2 weeks working for them

Sir C
01-20-2017, 10:52 AM

Three days. Cleaning a Marmite factory. You have no idea what decades of Marmite production leaves on the walls of a Victorian factory building. By Wednesday I just couldn't hack it any more :-(

Burney
01-20-2017, 10:54 AM
You have no idea what decades of Marmite production leaves on the walls of a Victorian factory building.

Is it not just Marmite?

Luis Anaconda
01-20-2017, 10:58 AM

1 day paper round; too many ****ing hills

Sir C
01-20-2017, 10:59 AM
Is it not just Marmite?

Decades of layers of super-heated Marmite steam solidified into a solid gloop (yes, a solid gloop, get your head around that, if you can) of such stickiness and malodorousness as to make the strongest of men blanch. We tied scrapers, then chisels, then pressure washers, then steam cleaners, and nothing made any impact on it except to anger it and cause it to release wave after wave of noxious Marmite gasses.

Each day was like a Sisyphean lifetime.

Monty92
01-20-2017, 11:01 AM

Half-a-day. Work experience at FourFourTwo magazine in Twickenham. Took me 1.5 hours to get there and they had me stacking and cleaning shelves for the first two hours.

Needless to say, I had the last laugh several years later when I sold them an "exclusive" piece which I'd already sold to another newspaper :clap:

Burney
01-20-2017, 11:10 AM
Decades of layers of super-heated Marmite steam solidified into a solid gloop (yes, a solid gloop, get your head around that, if you can) of such stickiness and malodorousness as to make the strongest of men blanch. We tied scrapers, then chisels, then pressure washers, then steam cleaners, and nothing made any impact on it except to anger it and cause it to release wave after wave of noxious Marmite gasses.

Each day was like a Sisyphean lifetime.

Could you not have licked the walls?

Sir C
01-20-2017, 11:13 AM
Could you not have licked the walls?

The whole experience was gopping, I tell you. Put me off Marmite for a week or so.

Ash
01-20-2017, 01:51 PM
Three days. Cleaning a Marmite factory. You have no idea what decades of Marmite production leaves on the walls of a Victorian factory building. By Wednesday I just couldn't hack it any more :-(

Where was the factory?

barrybueno
01-20-2017, 02:03 PM

I suppose you either love or hate a job like that :hide:

redgunamo
01-20-2017, 02:07 PM
I suppose you either love or hate a job like that :hide:

Very good, b.

Sir C
01-20-2017, 02:11 PM
Where was the factory?

Erith, Crayford sort of area.

Ash
01-20-2017, 02:38 PM
Erith, Crayford sort of area.

I shall be going to Erith next weekend to do part of the Green Chain walk from Erith to Falcoln Wood via Lessness Abbey Wood and Bostall wood. I shall have a look out an old factory building with chaps still trying to clean solidified gloop from the walls.

Meanwhile, your post has made page one of a google search for 'Marmite Factory Crayford'.

Sir C
01-20-2017, 02:40 PM
I shall be going to Erith next weekend to do part of the Green Chain walk from Erith to Falcoln Wood via Lessness Abbey Wood and Bostall wood. I shall have a look out an old factory building with chaps still trying to clean solidified gloop from the walls.

Meanwhile, your post has made page one of a google search for 'Marmite Factory Crayford'.

I advise firmly against walking through Erith, a, unless you have an armed security detail going with you.

I suppose google will charge me every time someone clicks that link now. I'm going to be broke, a :-(

Burney
01-20-2017, 03:02 PM

I'm pretty sure 'Marmite Factory' is a very unpleasant euphemism for the arsehole, isn't it? :-(

Pokster
01-20-2017, 03:30 PM
I'm pretty sure 'Marmite Factory' is a very unpleasant euphemism for the arsehole, isn't it? :-(

I have never called WES Marmite in my life