PDA

View Full Version : I miss Nicosia. He was like a low ranking STASI functionary patrolling the

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
01-18-2017, 04:17 PM
message board and reporting anything remotely unorthodox to his superiors. Even a suggestion that Mr Wenger's team selection might have been suspect had him bristling with righteous indignation.

I wonder if even he's had enough of the old french tit's sophistry and spin. I presume he still has his season ticket?

Sir C
01-18-2017, 04:27 PM
message board and reporting anything remotely unorthodox to his superiors. Even a suggestion that Mr Wenger's team selection might have been suspect had him bristling with righteous indignation.

I wonder if even he's had enough of the old french tit's sophistry and spin. I presume he still has his season ticket?

He performs a similar function on Twitter these days, but the fire's gone from his belly, really.

Ash
01-18-2017, 04:29 PM

And you think you know better, my friend? :driving: :hehe: :kebab:

He was the master of passive aggression.

redgunamo
01-18-2017, 04:31 PM
He performs a similar function on Twitter these days, but the fire's gone from his belly, really.

That's fair enough, I think. He fought the good fight and won.

redgunamo
01-18-2017, 04:32 PM

Balls !!!!!

SWv2
01-18-2017, 05:05 PM

He was a nice old bloke to be fair but he took the whole Arsenal thing very, very seriously.

Some may say a little too seriously, it being a game and all that.

Sir C
01-18-2017, 05:09 PM
He was a nice old bloke to be fair but he took the whole Arsenal thing very, very seriously.

He was very much a fan of thon Rachel Riley.

Filthy old búgger.

SWv2
01-18-2017, 05:11 PM

Filthy old búgger.

A decent mathematician and now football presenter. All short skirts and long-ish legs. What's not to like eh?

redgunamo
01-18-2017, 05:12 PM

Filthy old búgger.

Why? Does she play for Spurs :-(

eastgermanautos
01-19-2017, 07:38 AM

It is a game, my friend. But then, so is life. How are we to discern a difference between the two?

Burney
01-19-2017, 09:16 AM

Yes. Although sometimes it wasn't all that passive.

He was also spectacularly over-sensitive and would take offence even on the rare occasions when absolutely none was intended.

Mo Britain less Europe
01-19-2017, 09:54 AM
Well he was chased away by the man you chased away so in boxing parlance that makes you the man who beat the man who beat the man.

redgunamo
01-19-2017, 10:23 AM

He was also spectacularly over-sensitive and would take offence even on the rare occasions when absolutely none was intended.

He's a victim of changing times, I guess. In the days when most of those of a mind to criticise Wenger were supporters of rival clubs, his responses made perfect sense. But since nowadays, much of that opprobrium towards the manager comes from fellow Arsenal fans, that approach has become inappropriate.

Amongst ourselves, we ought to be able to discuss these matters in an honest, manly fashion.

Viva Prat Vegas
01-19-2017, 11:52 AM
Nicosia clashed with DT on twitter
DT told him to go for a walk
Nicosia asked him if he has a problem with walkers
DT gave up

Pat Vegas
01-19-2017, 11:54 AM

Once he went down my comments were edited route he couldn't really get out of that one.

Burney
01-19-2017, 11:57 AM
Nicosia clashed with DT on twitter
DT told him to go for a walk
Nicosia asked him if he has a problem with walkers
DT gave up

DT? Donald Trump? :yikes:

Viva Prat Vegas
01-19-2017, 12:02 PM
A loud and gobby cund who I guess is called Don Turpin
DT " go for one of them long walks mate , off you go now "
Nic " Do you have a problem with walkers ? "

:hehe:

Burney
01-19-2017, 12:03 PM
Once he went down my comments were edited route he couldn't really get out of that one.

Yes, he lost his shït because he was proven to have criticised an Arsenal player, the cognitive dissonance was too much and his head exploded. I'd forgotten that. :hehe:

The fact that Sanchez didn't even bloody play for us at the time didn't seem to change anything.

SWv2
01-19-2017, 12:06 PM
Nic " Do you have a problem with walkers ? "

Oh my days :clap:

Viva Prat Vegas
01-19-2017, 12:06 PM
The phantom editor was at large

Burney
01-19-2017, 12:09 PM
Oh my days :clap:

He could teach today's modern generation snowflake a few things about taking unwarranted offence, could Nic. :hehe:

SWv2
01-19-2017, 12:16 PM
Yes, he lost his shït because he was proven to have criticised an Arsenal player, the cognitive dissonance was too much and his head exploded. I'd forgotten that. :hehe:

The fact that Sanchez didn't even bloody play for us at the time didn't seem to change anything.

It was this absolute refusal to even countenance a criticism of a player or Wenger that I found staggering.

A negative remark aimed at a club employee during a game I can understand would anger some, personally not a jot, but when one may write something at a random moment and still be sometimes aggressively challenged was bizarre. And then the oft used response of “so you think you know better than Wenger”. Of course I/we bloody well don’t but it does not restrict one from having an opinion.

We do of course have another contributor who will very often steer his debate down this silly route but will word his responses in a more structured and perhaps articulate manner, he being one of the Turks more frequent enemies. I expect the similarity between the two to be quite galling for him.

Thing is I have met the old man and even bought him a beverage (not sure the tight wee bubble reciprocated mind you) and he was a nice, genial old bloke. Harmless if I can say that in a completely non-condescending way.

Burney
01-19-2017, 12:26 PM
It was this absolute refusal to even countenance a criticism of a player or Wenger that I found staggering.

A negative remark aimed at a club employee during a game I can understand would anger some, personally not a jot, but when one may write something at a random moment and still be sometimes aggressively challenged was bizarre. And then the oft used response of “so you think you know better than Wenger”. Of course I/we bloody well don’t but it does not restrict one from having an opinion.

We do of course have another contributor who will very often steer his debate down this silly route but will word his responses in a more structured and perhaps articulate manner, he being one of the Turks more frequent enemies. I expect the similarity between the two to be quite galling for him.

Thing is I have met the old man and even bought him a beverage (not sure the tight wee bubble reciprocated mind you) and he was a nice, genial old bloke. Harmless if I can say that in a completely non-condescending way.

Yes. I often suspected that he was one of these guys who's probably had the pïss taken out of him or been wound up so much over a lifetime that he often suspected people were having a go at him even when they weren't. I think this made him unpleasantly prickly and almost totally unable to take a joke.

redgunamo
01-19-2017, 12:31 PM
Yes. I often suspected that he was one of these guys who's probably had the pïss taken out of him or been wound up so much over a lifetime that he often suspected people were having a go at him even when they weren't. I think this made him unpleasantly prickly and almost totally unable to take a joke.

I thought it was because he didn't speak-a the English so good. Anyway, so good as he needed to to make his points in writing, and that heightened his sensitivity and paranoia to acute status.

Burney
01-19-2017, 12:33 PM
I thought it was because he didn't speak-a the English so good. Anyway, so good as he needed to to make his points in writing, and that heightened his sensitivity and paranoia to acute status.

Well I think that was part of it, as well. He didn't know when people were taking the pïss or how seriously because he wasn't as innately sensitive to the rhythms and cadences of English/Irish pïss taking. This would mean that a playful or friendly jibe would be manufactured by his paranoia into a deadly insult.

Luis Anaconda
01-19-2017, 12:34 PM

Actually reminds me - I didn't pay him for the ticket the Boro match he got for me. (This could see him scurry out of the woodwork)

redgunamo
01-19-2017, 12:37 PM
Well I think that was part of it, as well. He didn't know when people were taking the pïss or how seriously because he wasn't as innately sensitive to the rhythms and cadences of English/Irish pïss taking. This would mean that a playful or friendly jibe would be manufactured by his paranoia into a deadly insult.

That's why I never called him out on any of it. Not cricket.

Wrong, of course, but there it is.

Burney
01-19-2017, 12:41 PM
That's why I never called him out on any of it. Not cricket.

Wrong, of course, but there it is.

No, probably sensible. The problem was that his inability often to get or take a joke made him hard work conversationally-speaking and that led to exasperation with him and thence to unpleasantness. :-(

redgunamo
01-19-2017, 12:52 PM
No, probably sensible. The problem was that his inability often to get or take a joke made him hard work conversationally-speaking and that led to exasperation with him and thence to unpleasantness. :-(

Perhaps we can simply close the door gently on the whole sordid episode and mark his name down as the very first victim of The Emirates Stadium Warchest?

After all, calling a Barcelona player rubbish in the belief that there's no chance whatsoever of Wenger going on to actually sign him was a pretty safe bet back then, wasn't it.

If I've got the timing right, that is.

Ash
01-19-2017, 12:58 PM

He was a genial old bloke, although he didn't take kindly, amongst other things, to Rafa Nadal being called a drugs cheat. I must defend him though against the "tight wee bubble" allegations. He often used to get a decent-sized round in that he would not recieve back, as he was driving.

SWv2
01-19-2017, 01:21 PM
He was a genial old bloke, although he didn't take kindly, amongst other things, to Rafa Nadal being called a drugs cheat. I must defend him though against the "tight wee bubble" allegations. He often used to get a decent-sized round in that he would not recieve back, as he was driving.

That was a throwaway comment as opposed to an out and out accusation.

Man you are like two peas in a pod.

Ash
01-19-2017, 01:24 PM
That was a throwaway comment as opposed to an out and out accusation.

Man you are like two peas in a pod.

Do you have a problem with peas, my friend? :driving: :gromit:

eastgermanautos
01-19-2017, 01:44 PM

Fvck you with your jokes! Nicosia was a better man than all of us. And we dragged him down, as we do anything beautiful. :cry:

World's End Stella
01-19-2017, 01:53 PM

He was hardly alone though, was he? AWIMB back in the day became incredibly polarised by the Wenger/new stadium debate and hence there was endless conflict. I would argue that this was AWIMB at its finest, though. The conflict was fun, it was interesting, it brought the punters out and in the end the board was much better for it.

In fact, I would also argue that where AWIMB went wrong was the interference from 'the man' that allowed one of the sides to 'win'. It's never been the same since.

SWv2
01-19-2017, 02:02 PM
In fact, I would also argue that where AWIMB went wrong was the interference from 'the man' that allowed one of the sides to 'win'. It's never been the same since.

So basically when you were banned?

Sir C
01-19-2017, 02:05 PM
He was hardly alone though, was he? AWIMB back in the day became incredibly polarised by the Wenger/new stadium debate and hence there was endless conflict. I would argue that this was AWIMB at its finest, though. The conflict was fun, it was interesting, it brought the punters out and in the end the board was much better for it.

People can get their conflict at the drop of a hat on twitter these days, though.

Ash
01-19-2017, 02:20 PM

He might mean Greg Mitchell.

Sir C
01-19-2017, 02:23 PM

Funnily enough, 10 years almost to the day, I had such a vicious row with greg mitchell I ended up phoning him to arrange to meet up and discuss it mano a mano :hehe:

Burney
01-19-2017, 02:23 PM

I believe we refer to him as 'He Who Must Not Be Named', a.

SWv2
01-19-2017, 02:26 PM
".............. a vicious row"

You big ****ing spanner.

Ash
01-19-2017, 02:29 PM
Funnily enough, 10 years almost to the day, I had such a vicious row with greg mitchell I ended up phoning him to arrange to meet up and discuss it mano a mano :hehe:

And what was the result of the phone call and/or meeting?

Sir C
01-19-2017, 02:30 PM
You big ****ing spanner.

You are aware of the full facts of the matter, enabling you to draw this judgement, clearly. I mean, you wouldn't be gratuitously offensive, thereby displaying heroic levels of ignorance, would you?

Oh.

Sir C
01-19-2017, 02:30 PM
And what was the result of the phone call and/or meeting?

We reached an understanding, like gentlemen.

Viva Prat Vegas
01-19-2017, 02:32 PM

Was the row about your mum going bye-bye ?

:-(

redgunamo
01-19-2017, 02:33 PM
We reached an understanding, like gentlemen.

Oh? Well I do hope you used condoms, old son.

Sir C
01-19-2017, 02:34 PM
Was the row about your mum going bye-bye ?

:-(

wd f. I was feeling slightly touchy about the subject.

SWv2
01-19-2017, 02:34 PM
You are aware of the full facts of the matter, enabling you to draw this judgement, clearly. I mean, you wouldn't be gratuitously offensive, thereby displaying heroic levels of ignorance, would you?

Oh.

Don't lecture me on being offensive old boy. You don't intimidate me like you may try to do others.

I am simply curious as to how can a row be vicious?

You say some mean and nasty things, he says some mean and nasty things, in fact neither of you say mean or nasty things, you type them. Surely if it escalating to levels of huge discomfort you simply exit the discussion.

It’s the ****ing internet for ****s sake. Vicious? Have a fúcking word with yourself.

Sir C
01-19-2017, 02:39 PM
Don't lecture me on being offensive old boy. You don't intimidate me like you may try to do others.

I am simply curious as to how can a row be vicious?

You say some mean and nasty things, he says some mean and nasty things, in fact neither of you say mean or nasty things, you type them. Surely if it escalating to levels of huge discomfort you simply exit the discussion.

It’s the ****ing internet for ****s sake. Vicious? Have a fúcking word with yourself.

:hehe: Who made you the boss of my vocabulary?

Don't try to censor me with your sanctimony. It won't wash with me.

SWv2
01-19-2017, 02:42 PM

I am noboby's boss* nor pretend to be.

*apart from those who work for me

Burney
01-19-2017, 02:49 PM

See? Just the mention of his name is enough to inspire fallings out and harsh words. :-(

Sir C
01-19-2017, 02:56 PM
See? Just the mention of his name is enough to inspire fallings out and harsh words. :-(

I haven't used harsh words yet, but trust me, I am more than capable if pushed any further.

Every man has his breaking point, b.

Burney
01-19-2017, 02:59 PM
I haven't used harsh words yet, but trust me, I am more than capable if pushed any further.

Every man has his breaking point, b.

Yes. I remember that was a more than somewhat fraught time for you.

My uncle went yesterday. :-( Some nice things about him in the Irish Times and Independent, although one of the comments by an academic colleague was rather snide and I'm harbouring ill feelings towards him for it.

Sir C
01-19-2017, 03:01 PM
Yes. I remember that was a more than somewhat fraught time for you.

My uncle went yesterday. :-( Some nice things about him in the Irish Times and Independent, although one of the comments by an academic colleague was rather snide and I'm harbouring ill feelings towards him for it.

I'm very sorry to hear that b. Many condolences - and please mention same to your father on my behalf.

Burney
01-19-2017, 03:02 PM
I'm very sorry to hear that b. Many condolences - and please mention same to your father on my behalf.

Thank you. I shall, of course.

Burney
01-19-2017, 03:07 PM

Oh, the other thing is that that funny little fellow who they have as President was awfully nice about Ronan, so I have to stop being nasty about him in future. :-)

Lar d'Arse
01-19-2017, 03:29 PM
Oh, the other thing is that that funny little fellow who they have as President was awfully nice about Ronan, so I have to stop being nasty about him in future. :-)

Dobby? He likes academics.

Condolences to all the family B.

Burney
01-19-2017, 03:36 PM
Dobby? He likes academics.

Condolences to all the family B.

Thank you, lar. Much appreciated.

Yes, he was very fulsome and sweet in what he said, which made me feel bad for having made fun of him. :-(

Lar d'Arse
01-19-2017, 03:38 PM
Thank you, lar. Much appreciated.

Yes, he was very fulsome and sweet in what he said, which made me feel bad for having made fun of him. :-(

I am confused. Dobby seems much admired by the general populace but I can't take a President who looks like a Harry Potter elf and is roughly the same size in any way seriously (even if he did say nice things about your uncle).

Burney
01-19-2017, 03:42 PM
I am confused. Dobby seems much admired by the general populace but I can't take a President who looks like a Harry Potter elf and is roughly the same size in any way seriously (even if he did say nice things about your uncle).

Didn't you all vote for him, though? I've no idea how these things work, to be honest. Much simpler just having a monarch.

SWv2
01-19-2017, 03:43 PM

I have googled this. Sorry for the loss to the family.

SWv2
01-19-2017, 03:45 PM
Didn't you all vote for him, though? I've no idea how these things work, to be honest. Much simpler just having a monarch.

I actually didn’t vote for him (I declined to vote at all) and further when I explained to my inquisitive neighbour that I had failed to do so she told me off on the basis of “how could anybody not like Michael D”.

It was in effect the suburban Dublin 16 equivalent of a vicious row.

Burney
01-19-2017, 03:46 PM
I have googled this. Sorry for the loss to the family.

Most kind, sw. Thank you. :-)

I do wish your avatar didn't make me want to draw unkind comparisons with your President, though. :-(

Burney
01-19-2017, 03:47 PM
I actually didn’t vote for him (I declined to vote at all) and further when I explained to my inquisitive neighbour that I had failed to do so she told me off on the basis of “how could anybody not like Michael D”.

It was in effect the suburban Dublin 16 equivalent of a vicious row.

I do wonder if he's capable of seeing over the top of a bar in order to get his round in, sw, I must admit.

Lar d'Arse
01-19-2017, 03:51 PM

We all voted for him in much the same way as the UK all voted for Brexit. He had more supporters than anyone else.

I find him quite laughable.

Lar d'Arse
01-19-2017, 03:52 PM
I do wonder if he's capable of seeing over the top of a bar in order to get his round in, sw, I must admit.

I thought that was what bar stools were for.

SWv2
01-19-2017, 04:12 PM
We all voted for him in much the same way as the UK all voted for Brexit. He had more supporters than anyone else.

I find him quite laughable.

From memory I recall the opposition not being what one may call the strongest.

There was the dragon from Dragons Den, Dana and Martin McGuinness.

God knows who is up next time.

Burney
01-19-2017, 04:14 PM
From memory I recall the opposition not being what one may call the strongest.

There was the dragon from Dragons Den, Dana and Martin McGuinness.

God knows who is up next time.

Dana? :hehe: Why do I get the sense you people aren't taking this whole President thing, seriously?

Lar d'Arse
01-19-2017, 04:20 PM
Dana? :hehe: Why do I get the sense you people aren't taking this whole President thing, seriously?

It's not exactly a powerful position. Ceremonial at best with one very minor exception.

World's End Stella
01-19-2017, 04:21 PM

No, when many people were banned. Although the real issue was the idea that banning people from an internet board was a sensible and mature thing to do.

As I said, it was really what killed AWIMB.

SWv2
01-19-2017, 04:24 PM

It was my primary reason for not bothering my hole (factor in pure laziness also).

Dana, a bloke who looks suspiciously like another bloke from Harry Potter, a retired IRA man and a dragon. Further analysis shows other entrants including a bloke called Gay and a gay bloke called David.

And as Lar has suggested above it isn’t really a position of any real power or influence from what I can tell.

I think the wee man got into a bit of bother over the Xmas when your man Castro died and he offered fulsome sympathy and condolences on behalf of the people of Ireland.

Burney
01-19-2017, 04:30 PM
It was my primary reason for not bothering my hole (factor in pure laziness also).

Dana, a bloke who looks suspiciously like another bloke from Harry Potter, a retired IRA man and a dragon. Further analysis shows other entrants including a bloke called Gay and a gay bloke called David.

And as Lar has suggested above it isn’t really a position of any real power or influence from what I can tell.

I think the wee man got into a bit of bother over the Xmas when your man Castro died and he offered fulsome sympathy and condolences on behalf of the people of Ireland.

Oh, that's right. He did! Mind you, if you're going to do it for Adolf Hitler, it really wouldn't be fair if you didn't roll out the dead carpet for other authoritarian bàstards, would it?

Lar d'Arse
01-19-2017, 04:32 PM

He's a clown.

As a fan of egg chasing the principal time I see him is at Lansdowne Road being presented to the teams before games. He rarely misses a game. However compared to the relative giants that most rugby players are these days it's quite comical to see him raising his entire arm to shake hands. Hard to tell him apart from the mascots.

Lar d'Arse
01-19-2017, 04:35 PM
Oh, that's right. He did! Mind you, if you're going to do it for Adolf Hitler, it really wouldn't be fair if you didn't roll out the dead carpet for other authoritarian bàstards, would it?

Different with Dev. Dev was Taoiseach at the time. It was his last act of reinforcing our so-called neutrality but one he miscalculated badly. It was a deeply unpopular move.