PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see last night's BBC 4 Storyville on cyber warfare and the joint US, UK and

Monty92
01-17-2017, 10:24 AM
Israel attempt to crash Iran's nuclear programme during the George W Bush years (and initially continued by Obama)?

Very, very interesting and thought provoking. Highly recommended.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08bcc18/storyville-zero-day-nuclear-cyber-sabotage

Burney
01-17-2017, 10:27 AM
Israel attempt to crash Iran's nuclear programme during the George W Bush years (and initially continued by Obama)?

Very, very interesting and thought provoking. Highly recommended.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08bcc18/storyville-zero-day-nuclear-cyber-sabotage

Got it recorded, but I've written some stuff on Stuxnet in the past and it is, as you say, fascinating.

The really scary bit is that it was designed not just to disable the nuclear reactor, but actually to achieve a nuclear meltdown while all the instruments read normal. They don't fück about the Israelis, you have to say that for them.

World's End Stella
01-17-2017, 10:42 AM
Got it recorded, but I've written some stuff on Stuxnet in the past and it is, as you say, fascinating.

The really scary bit is that it was designed not just to disable the nuclear reactor, but actually to achieve a nuclear meltdown while all the instruments read normal. They don't fück about the Israelis, you have to say that for them.

Did you know that nuclear meltdown is an emotive fallacy propagated - originally - by the anti-nuclear power brigade? Assuming by 'nuclear meltdown' you're referring to a breach in the containment vessel which results in the core 'melting' into the surrounding area.

Once the containment vessel is broken fission stops, you see, that is the nature of the chain reaction which is required to generate the heat. Without fission you have no heat and therefore no 'melting down', you just get left with a big lump of radioactive material sitting there that needs to be dealt with.

Little bit of nuclear physics trivia for you there. Probably the only *useful* thing I got out of my degree. :-(

Burney
01-17-2017, 10:43 AM
Did you know that nuclear meltdown is an emotive fallacy propagated - originally - by the anti-nuclear power brigade? Assuming by 'nuclear meltdown' you're referring to a breach in the containment vessel which results in the core 'melting' into the surrounding area.

Once the containment vessel is broken fission stops, you see, that is the nature of the chain reaction which is required to generate the heat. Without fission you have no heat and therefore no 'melting down', you just get left with a big lump of radioactive material sitting there that needs to be dealt with.

Little bit of nuclear physics trivia for you there. Probably the only *useful* thing I got out of my degree. :-(

You mean The China Syndrome lied to me? :cry:

World's End Stella
01-17-2017, 10:47 AM
You mean The China Syndrome lied to me? :cry:

:nod:

Hollywood, Burney. Rammed with queers and commies. FACT.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
01-17-2017, 07:51 PM
:nod:

Hollywood, Burney. Rammed with queers and commies. FACT.

It's not that they're queers and commies. It's cos they're Septics, init?