PDA

View Full Version : There's a quite extraordinary amount of weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth going

Burney
01-17-2017, 09:20 AM
on comment pages and social media this morning at the outlandish suggestion that the Prime Minister is going to announce that we're actually going to do what people voted for in June.

Odd lot, people, aren't they? :shrug:

Sir C
01-17-2017, 09:29 AM
on comment pages and social media this morning at the outlandish suggestion that the Prime Minister is going to announce that we're actually going to do what people voted for in June.

There's something else very odd about this. The government has clearly briefed the press that this is the statement of strategy for the forthcoming negotiations, the results of which negotiations are likely to have a serious impact upon the UK.

Should the prime minister not be issuing such a statement to, you know, the House of Commons, which is, like, where our parliamentary democracy happens? Choosing to make the statement in a speech is bad enough, but then leaking the fúcking thing to the press 48 hours before the event if fúcking repulsive.

I am distressed.

Monty92
01-17-2017, 09:33 AM

Where do you stand on the suggestion that a second referendum on the terms agreed in the event of a Brexit vote should have been incorporated by Cameron?

Burney
01-17-2017, 09:34 AM
There's something else very odd about this. The government has clearly briefed the press that this is the statement of strategy for the forthcoming negotiations, the results of which negotiations are likely to have a serious impact upon the UK.

Should the prime minister not be issuing such a statement to, you know, the House of Commons, which is, like, where our parliamentary democracy happens? Choosing to make the statement in a speech is bad enough, but then leaking the fúcking thing to the press 48 hours before the event if fúcking repulsive.

I am distressed.

Nah. All policy and negotiating positions are first unveiled in speeches these days rather than the HoC. The press leak is pretty standard practice to get the markets' bedwetting out of the way and let them settle down before the actual speech is given.

Currently reading 'All Out War' by Tim Shipman about the Brexit campaign. Pretty much every important policy item in the run-up to that was given at an external speech. Cameron announced the fact he was going to hold a referendum at a speech to Bloomberg, ffs!

Burney
01-17-2017, 09:37 AM
Where do you stand on the suggestion that a second referendum on the terms agreed in the event of a Brexit vote should have been incorporated by Cameron?

It makes no sense at all. We voted on the relatively simple issue of how we are governed and by whom. A vote on the details of our exit would be absurd as it would render all negotiations meaningless. Besides which, it would be hijacked by Remain as a means of indefinitely delaying our exit.

Sir C
01-17-2017, 09:50 AM
Nah. All policy and negotiating positions are first unveiled in speeches these days rather than the HoC. The press leak is pretty standard practice to get the markets' bedwetting out of the way and let them settle down before the actual speech is given.

Currently reading 'All Out War' by Tim Shipman about the Brexit campaign. Pretty much every important policy item in the run-up to that was given at an external speech. Cameron announced the fact he was going to hold a referendum at a speech to Bloomberg, ffs!

It happening as a matter of course these days does not make it right.

I am not happy with the cabinet, b. Not happy at all. Cameron and Osborne were distressingly limp, but at least they appeared statesmanlike. This lot are a bunch of chancers and wide boys and May is quite clearly way out of her depth.

At the next election I shall vite Lib Dem, or perhaps Green.

Burney
01-17-2017, 09:59 AM

I am not happy with the cabinet, b. Not happy at all. Cameron and Osborne were distressingly limp, but at least they appeared statesmanlike. This lot are a bunch of chancers and wide boys and May is quite clearly way out of her depth.

You will vote for traitors and communists because a tory government isn't composed exactly as you'd like? That seems an odd way to go about things.

SWv2
01-17-2017, 10:04 AM

Don't be silly.

Terms are decided upon by party 1 and then discussed at length and compromise reached on some issues, some dropped altogether, others won.

The idea of allowing the people to decide the finite terms of agreement is imbecilic even by your extremely high standards.

In summary you were stupid enough to allow this vote/referendum to go to the people but it has and now you have to roll with the decision. Those who do not like it and who are questioning it are simply the adult equivalent of a toddler having a tantrum because they did not get their way.

Billy Goat Sverige
01-17-2017, 10:07 AM
Don't be silly.

Terms are decided upon by party 1 and then discussed at length and compromise reached on some issues, some dropped altogether, others won.

The idea of allowing the people to decide the finite terms of agreement is imbecilic even by your extremely high standards.

In summary you were stupid enough to allow this vote/referendum to go to the people but it has and now you have to roll with the decision. Those who do not like it and who are questioning it are simply the adult equivalent of a toddler having a tantrum because they did not get their way.

I think most of them are upset because they won't be able to freely gallivant around europe on their British passports any longer.

Sir C
01-17-2017, 10:09 AM
You will vote for traitors and communists because a tory government isn't composed exactly as you'd like? That seems an odd way to go about things.

It's my protest. I'd go with UKIP but they're so incredibly vulgar.

Burney
01-17-2017, 10:10 AM
Don't be silly.

I do wonder whether in some ways it would have been better if we'd triggered Article 50 straight away. The intervening six months have provided Remain voters with the comfort blanket of denial that it either wouldn't happen, would be delayed indefinitely or would be so watered down as to be virtually meaningless. The reality is only sinking in now and the Remain voters are having a shït fit.

Burney
01-17-2017, 10:13 AM
It's my protest. I'd go with UKIP but they're so incredibly vulgar.

It's a shame the Monster Raving Loony Party aren't around for that sort of protest vote, really. Only I know that you'd never really be able to look at yourself in the mirror again if you knew you'd voted for a Green or - worse - that snivelling cünt Farron,

SWv2
01-17-2017, 10:14 AM
I do wonder whether in some ways it would have been better if we'd triggered Article 50 straight away. The intervening six months have provided Remain voters with the comfort blanket of denial that it either wouldn't happen, would be delayed indefinitely or would be so watered down as to be virtually meaningless. The reality is only sinking in now and the Remain voters are having a shït fit.

Check this shít out, not sure it would be reported in your so called Great Britain.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/high-court-to-hear-british-brexit-escape-route-case-1.2935102

Jolyon. Who the fúck calls their son Jolyon, basically sentencing them to a good kicking for most of their teenage years.

Pokster
01-17-2017, 10:14 AM

Isn't that partly the fault of DC who said he would invoke it stariaght away if they lost (not expecting to lose), then resigned because they lost..... imho he was a bloody coward

Burney
01-17-2017, 10:16 AM
I think most of them are upset because they won't be able to freely gallivant around europe on their British passports any longer.

Thing is, I remember travelling around Europe before freedom of movement for persons was magically enshrined as a core principle of the EU. It was fine. :shrug:

Burney
01-17-2017, 10:20 AM
Check this shít out, not sure it would be reported in your so called Great Britain.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/high-court-to-hear-british-brexit-escape-route-case-1.2935102

Jolyon. Who the fúck calls their son Jolyon, basically sentencing them to a good kicking for most of their teenage years.

Yes, we all know about this. Jolyon Maugham is an appalling **** desperate to do anything to stop Brexit. The idea that we would ever reverse Article 50 because the ECJ says so is laughable.

Luis Anaconda
01-17-2017, 10:21 AM
Thing is, I remember travelling around Europe before freedom of movement for persons was magically enshrined as a core principle of the EU. It was fine. :shrug:

Probably why Billy's comment wasn't really accurate to be fair

SWv2
01-17-2017, 10:21 AM
Yes, we all know about this. Jolyon Maugham is an appalling **** desperate to do anything to stop Brexit. The idea that we would ever reverse Article 50 because the ECJ says so is laughable.

How does one pronounce his name?

Jolly-on.
Jo-Lion.

Or the more pithy and direct "oi ****".

Sir C
01-17-2017, 10:22 AM
Isn't that partly the fault of DC who said he would invoke it stariaght away if they lost (not expecting to lose), then resigned because they lost..... imho he was a bloody coward

A coward, possibly. A little limp, definitely. But he was a gentleman, p.

Look at what we've been left with :-(

Burney
01-17-2017, 10:22 AM

He was just trying to do whatever it took to try and frighten the public into compliance. It was clear to everyone that he couldn't remain as PM if he lost the vote since he wouldn't have had the confidence of his party or the country to do so. Given that, there's no way he could have triggered A50 and then left, since that would have been monstrous. Nothing to do with cowardice, just a gamble that he lost.

Burney
01-17-2017, 10:25 AM

Jolly-on.
Jo-Lion.

Or the more pithy and direct "oi ****".

Well my spellchecker keeps correcting it to 'Jolson', so I'll stick with that.

I believe he's some sort of colonial. Possibly a New Zealander. Why we let such people practice law in this country, I've no idea. Burden of empire, I suppose.

World's End Stella
01-17-2017, 10:27 AM

I expect that's because social media and comments pages are frequented by people who like to be outraged. If it wasn't this, it would be something else. Prior to the internet they went down the pub and did so until someone told them to shut up and get their round in.

Sadly, there is no such control on the internet.

eastgermanautos
01-17-2017, 12:50 PM

I am distressed.

you guys don't have a democracy. you're a fvcking monarchy, dumbasses.

eastgermanautos
01-17-2017, 12:54 PM

It's amazing to me that you people could have walked open-eyed into tis fvckup. At least we're gonna go supernova with Trump, whereas you guys are going to go out with all the drama of a wet fart. Great Britain no more. Just England Wales and a few islands in the Caribbean.

Burney
01-17-2017, 12:58 PM

And you believe the two to be mutually exclusive why, exactly?

Burney
01-17-2017, 12:58 PM
It's amazing to me that you people could have walked open-eyed into tis fvckup. At least we're gonna go supernova with Trump, whereas you guys are going to go out with all the drama of a wet fart. Great Britain no more. Just England Wales and a few islands in the Caribbean.

You'll forgive me if I voice my suspicion that you may not have too good a handle on the complexities of this matter.

Sir C
01-17-2017, 01:00 PM

There is no need for rudeness.

Honestly. Americans are so very indecorous.

eastgermanautos
01-17-2017, 01:01 PM
And you believe the two to be mutually exclusive why, exactly?

Push comes to shove, you can just suspend the democratic norms and revert to your monarch. You don't have your last quid on a functioning democratic system. It's a "late innovation," to borrow from Hamlet.

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
01-17-2017, 01:01 PM
We'll be fine. Mrs May has just said so :cloud9:

eastgermanautos
01-17-2017, 01:05 PM
You'll forgive me if I voice my suspicion that you may not have too good a handle on the complexities of this matter.

You and your complexities. Sound like a vitamin!

Sir C
01-17-2017, 01:39 PM

:hehe: My word, how they're wailing now. :hehe: Some of them seem to be actually mentally ill.

I'm rather pleased with this new formation 'butthurt'. It is quite wonderfully descriptive.

Ash
01-17-2017, 01:41 PM

Jolly-on.
Jo-Lion.

Joe Leon.

British F1 driver Jolyon Palmer can thank his father Jonathon, himself a former F1 driver and now owner of various racing circuits including Brands Hatch. Whether Cranleigh independent school in Surrey is a bastion of nomenclature-based bullying I cannot say.

Burney
01-17-2017, 02:21 PM
:hehe: My word, how they're wailing now. :hehe: Some of them seem to be actually mentally ill.

I'm rather pleased with this new formation 'butthurt'. It is quite wonderfully descriptive.

I'm finding that it's fun being perfectly pleasant and reasonable with them while they froth and rant at me. :hehe:

Burney
01-17-2017, 02:33 PM
Push comes to shove, you can just suspend the democratic norms and revert to your monarch. You don't have your last quid on a functioning democratic system. It's a "late innovation," to borrow from Hamlet.

Right. Like Lincoln did during the Civil War, you mean?

Sir C
01-17-2017, 03:46 PM

My word, imagine what will happen if Wilders wins. There might be mass luvvy suicides!

Burney
01-17-2017, 03:56 PM
My word, imagine what will happen if Wilders wins. There might be mass luvvy suicides!

A man with hair like that can't be all bad, that's what I say.

Talking of hair, did you see this fellow? He wants to bring down the government, apparently. :hehe:

Sir C
01-17-2017, 03:59 PM
A man with hair like that can't be all bad, that's what I say.

Talking of hair, did you see this fellow? He wants to bring down the government, apparently. :hehe:

Oh yes, good old Tosh. It's remarkable to consider that many outwardly sentient, sane individuals have voted for this man to represent their interests.

Pat Vegas
01-17-2017, 04:01 PM
Oh yes, good old Tosh. It's remarkable to consider that many outwardly sentient, sane individuals have voted for this man to represent their interests.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/722373422714601473/ql0pcYku.jpg

eastgermanautos
01-17-2017, 05:17 PM
Right. Like Lincoln did during the Civil War, you mean?

Whoah whoah whoah. Don't be steppin up to Lincoln my fine friend.

Burney
01-17-2017, 05:43 PM
Whoah whoah whoah. Don't be steppin up to Lincoln my fine friend.

Just saying that the suspension of constitutional rights (such as habeas corpus) and the reversion to executive authority are hardly unknown in US history. We haven't reverted to our monarch when we've done it, though (i.e. in the two world wars), we've relied on elected officials acting in a cross-party capacity.

You have to remember that our monarch is purely a figurehead from a political point of view. Her power is purely theoretical.

eastgermanautos
01-17-2017, 07:31 PM
Just saying that the suspension of constitutional rights (such as habeas corpus) and the reversion to executive authority are hardly unknown in US history. We haven't reverted to our monarch when we've done it, though (i.e. in the two world wars), we've relied on elected officials acting in a cross-party capacity.

You have to remember that our monarch is purely a figurehead from a political point of view. Her power is purely theoretical.

Queen Elizabeth is still pulling the strings, believe me. Lincoln was president during a civil war, in some ways similar to'n what y'alls had. The Confederates had to be labeled as enemy combatants, and that's when things got nasty.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
01-17-2017, 08:11 PM

Good man, C.

I also don't like the fact that they want a trade deal with the Septics which would entail our exports complying with Septic regulations and disputes being resolved in yank courts.

I don't see how all the sovereignty mob think this is preferable to bring preferable to being in the EU where we at least had some input into the regulations and the laws.