PDA

View Full Version : Sword, Musket & Machine Gun.

Sir C
01-16-2017, 02:25 PM
An entertaining romp through mitary history from the BBC, this. wd bbc.

Don't tell jorge I've admitted to watching the BBC.

Ash
01-16-2017, 02:32 PM
Ta. Will check that oot.

It's ok, I bet Jorge secretly watches ITV now and again.

Burney
01-16-2017, 02:38 PM

Yes, I've been enjoying that. And, although I find the chap a bit fey, I do rather like his jacket.

Also, the musket man with the big, mental moustache in the last episode made me laugh.

Sir C
01-16-2017, 02:45 PM
Yes, I've been enjoying that. And, although I find the chap a bit fey, I do rather like his jacket.

Also, the musket man with the big, mental moustache in the last episode made me laugh.

I've only seen the first one. I am also very taken with his jacket and wondered whether I might find out who it is by. Perhaps I should write to the BBC.

I liked the long bow fella. The arrogant fat fúck.

Luis Anaconda
01-16-2017, 02:46 PM

oh good - saw that on player and it looked interesting. If it's any consolation I will be watching it without paying a licence fee

Sir C
01-16-2017, 02:47 PM

Dr Sam Willis. i also enjoyed his Silk Road, and coveted the leather journals into which he pasted pictures and wrote notes about his journey.

Do you think I could tweet him to ask where he got his jacket and his journals, or would that be a little crass?

Burney
01-16-2017, 02:49 PM
I've only seen the first one. I am also very taken with his jacket and wondered whether I might find out who it is by. Perhaps I should write to the BBC.

I liked the long bow fella. The arrogant fat fúck.

Yes, but he could draw a full-size longbow, so fair play to him. You basically have to be a physical freak to be able to do that.

If you find out about the jacket, let me know - although we'd have to be sure never to be seen wearing them at the same occasion, of course.

Burney
01-16-2017, 02:52 PM
Dr Sam Willis. i also enjoyed his Silk Road, and coveted the leather journals into which he pasted pictures and wrote notes about his journey.

Do you think I could tweet him to ask where he got his jacket and his journals, or would that be a little crass?

This is the one, isn't it? With the sort of detachable lining effort? One ought to be able to google these things.

You could just say you've bought his book and how great it is, @ him and wonder where he got his jacket all casual, like. These people will normally do anything for someone who buys their books and gives good feedback.

Obviously, don't actually buy his book.

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
01-16-2017, 02:56 PM
Yes, but he could draw a full-size longbow, so fair play to him. You basically have to be a physical freak to be able to do that.

Physical freak:) Or just possessed of a modicum of manly strength b :knows you're an office weed:

Burney
01-16-2017, 02:58 PM
Physical freak:) Or just possessed of a modicum of manly strength b :knows you're an office weed:

The bones of longbowmen were dug up at the site of the battle of Towton. They were effectively deformed, with arms like Orang-Utans and shoulders that were misshapen though the mass of muscle obtained by years of training. Such people don't actually exist anymore.

Sir C
01-16-2017, 02:58 PM
This is the one, isn't it? With the sort of detachable lining effort? One ought to be able to google these things.

You could just say you've bought his book and how great it is, @ him and wonder where he got his jacket all casual, like. These people will normally do anything for someone who buys their books and gives good feedback.

Obviously, don't actually buy his book.

Same won indeed. The schnorrer's worn the same jacket for two TV shows? Is he won of monty's lot?

Burney
01-16-2017, 03:00 PM
Same won indeed. The schnorrer's worn the same jacket for two TV shows? Is he won of monty's lot?

He doesn't look like one, to be fair. And a good jacket's a good jacket.

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
01-16-2017, 03:00 PM
The bones of longbowmen were dug up at the site of the battle of Towton. They were effectively deformed, with arms like Orang-Utans and shoulders that were misshapen though the mass of muscle obtained by years of training. Such people don't actually exist anymore.

I think you've just described Sir C b

Luis Anaconda
01-16-2017, 03:05 PM

Have you ever been to Stoke?

Burney
01-16-2017, 03:09 PM
Have you ever been to Stoke?

I have. I was going to stay overnight there once, but got scared and drove to Stafford and found a place there, instead.

It did amuse me that they made Tristram Hunt of all people the MP for Stoke. No wonder he decided to jack MP-ing in. :hehe:

Sir C
01-16-2017, 03:15 PM
Ta. Will check that oot.

It's ok, I bet Jorge secretly watches ITV now and again.

I found my favouritist ever beer up norf, a. It was called Kirkstone Black, and is apparently a 'dark mild', whatever that means.

Totes delish. Another good reason for retiring to the fells.

Burney
01-16-2017, 03:20 PM
I found my favouritist ever beer up norf, a. It was called Kirkstone Black, and is apparently a 'dark mild', whatever that means.

Totes delish. Another good reason for retiring to the fells.

'Dark mild', indeed. It's clearly a stout.

Your Irishness is showing imo. ;-)

Sir C
01-16-2017, 03:27 PM

Is there a difference? I know little of beer, as you know.

I wondered if there was an Irish influence, as I drank 12 pints of it, went home, pissed in the wardrobe and savagely beat the wife and kids.

Burney
01-16-2017, 03:31 PM
Is there a difference? I know little of beer, as you know.

I wondered if there was an Irish influence, as I drank 12 pints of it, went home, pissed in the wardrobe and savagely beat the wife and kids.

Mild used to a sort of weak, dark beer that used almost exclusively to be drunk in the midlands. All the rules have gone out the window now, with microbreweries and similar, though, so I've no idea what's what anymore.

I must say, though, that that looks more like a porter or a stout than the milds I've seen.

Luis Anaconda
01-16-2017, 03:39 PM
Mild used to a sort of weak, dark beer that used almost exclusively to be drunk in the midlands. All the rules have gone out the window now, with microbreweries and similar, though, so I've no idea what's what anymore.

I must say, though, that that looks more like a porter or a stout than the milds I've seen.
It's more to do with the strength of the beer than the looks (nowadays anyway) - that appears to be 3.3%, so definitely mild. And quite possibly a women's drink

Burney
01-16-2017, 03:43 PM
It's more to do with the strength of the beer than the looks (nowadays anyway) - that appears to be 3.3%, so definitely mild. And quite possibly a women's drink

3.3%?!? :hehe: To call that weak as piss would be an understatement, since I strongly suspect my piss of a Saturday morning has a higher alcoholic content.

I'm not sure how one would even go about trying to get drunk drinking such a thing. :-(

Ash
01-16-2017, 03:52 PM
Kirkstone Black

Remember the days of Afghan Black? Came in a red kellophane wrapper.

Ash
01-16-2017, 03:54 PM

There seems to be about a quarter of a pint missing from that.

Sir C
01-16-2017, 03:58 PM
3.3%?!? :hehe: To call that weak as piss would be an understatement, since I strongly suspect my piss of a Saturday morning has a higher alcoholic content.

I'm not sure how one would even go about trying to get drunk drinking such a thing. :-(

I do not drink in order to become inebriated, b. I do not use alcohol in that way. I drink to savour the maker's art.

Sir C
01-16-2017, 04:01 PM
Remember the days of Afghan Black? Came in a red kellophane wrapper.

:nod: And Red Lebanese, Durban Poison and Acapulco Gold.

A couple of years ago I bought a large lump of unnamed hash which came wrapped in an Afghan newspaper, which added a pleasing authenticity.

Burney
01-16-2017, 04:03 PM
There seems to be about a quarter of a pint missing from that.

The norf, innit :shrug:

Burney
01-16-2017, 04:07 PM
:nod: And Red Lebanese, Durban Poison and Acapulco Gold.

A couple of years ago I bought a large lump of unnamed hash which came wrapped in an Afghan newspaper, which added a pleasing authenticity.

Afghan black was the pleasingly sticky, malleable one, wasn't it? Had the consistency of Plasticine.

Sir C
01-16-2017, 04:10 PM
Afghan black was the pleasingly sticky, malleable one, wasn't it? Had the consistency of Plasticine.

The squidgy stuff, yes, I think so.

That ******* is ignoring me, btw.

Burney
01-16-2017, 04:14 PM
The squidgy stuff, yes, I think so.

That ******* is ignoring me, btw.

You should've gone with the 'bought your book' thing. That would've made you a paying punter and deserving of response.

I'd do it, but then it'd look like there's an army of middle aged men who want to know where he got his jacket and that would definitely be weird. He's probably already considering contacting the police after your tweet.