PDA

View Full Version : Reading The Times thing with Trump this morning, it becomes clear that The Donald is

Burney
01-16-2017, 09:24 AM
actually incapable of uttering a coherent sentence without interrupting himself several times. This has clearly made quoting him in anything other than tiny soundbites very difficult.

Mind you, I did laugh when the guy from Bild asked him what he considered to be his most German traits and he said he liked 'Strength and order'. :hehe: I can imagine the Germans will love that.

Sir C
01-16-2017, 09:31 AM
actually incapable of uttering a coherent sentence without interrupting himself several times. This has clearly made quoting him in anything other than tiny soundbites very difficult.

Mind you, I did laugh when the guy from Bild asked him what he considered to be his most German traits and he said he liked 'Strength and order'. :hehe: I can imagine the Germans will love that.

I read that this morning, I was inbed with a cup of coffee, I woke up really early, really early, do you know how early 6 a.m. is? It's really early, but when I read it I said, 'This is funny stuff, others will take offence and make jokes about Pob, sad.'

Burney
01-16-2017, 09:37 AM
I read that this morning, I was inbed with a cup of coffee, I woke up really early, really early, do you know how early 6 a.m. is? It's really early, but when I read it I said, 'This is funny stuff, others will take offence and make jokes about Pob, sad.'

It can sometimes be nice to wake up early and have that hour or so sitting in bed reading the news. It can sort of feel like a treat.

Sadly, Gove is always going to attract cheap shots due to him looking a bit odd. However, he probably knows that the desperation to attack him personally derives in no small part from the fact that his detractors know he's really rather clever and actually rather an effective politician. The sooner he's back in the Cabinet, the better.

Sir C
01-16-2017, 09:46 AM
It can sometimes be nice to wake up early and have that hour or so sitting in bed reading the news. It can sort of feel like a treat.

Sadly, Gove is always going to attract cheap shots due to him looking a bit odd. However, he probably knows that the desperation to attack him personally derives in no small part from the fact that his detractors know he's really rather clever and actually rather an effective politician. The sooner he's back in the Cabinet, the better.

The cabinet certainly appears to need some sort of lift. They should be absolutely crucifying Steptoe at the moment, since he appears to have gone the full communist. They have the opportunity to bury the left in this country for good.

Monty92
01-16-2017, 09:51 AM

I think he often confabulates when he's talking off the cuff but last week's press conference showed that when he's well prepared he's actually not as awful a speaker as people suggest.

Burney
01-16-2017, 09:53 AM
The cabinet certainly appears to need some sort of lift. They should be absolutely crucifying Steptoe at the moment, since he appears to have gone the full communist. They have the opportunity to bury the left in this country for good.

Yes, I saw that he seems to be all about seizing the means of production at the moment - not to mention free styling utterly un-thought-out policies on wage caps. Mind you, they know that he damages himself every time he opens his gob, so attacking him is unnecessary. He can do far more damage to Labour than they ever can. Besides, they have to wait for the annual '48 hours to save the NHS!!!' nonsense and hysteria to blow over.

Burney
01-16-2017, 09:56 AM
I think he often confabulates when he's talking off the cuff but last week's press conference showed that when he's well prepared he's actually not as awful a speaker as people suggest.

Well yes, but how one speaks off the cuff is surely a rather better indicator of one's overall articulacy than reading prepared remarks? :shrug:

Monty92
01-16-2017, 09:59 AM
Yes, I saw that he seems to be all about seizing the means of production at the moment - not to mention free styling utterly un-thought-out policies on wage caps. Mind you, they know that he damages himself every time he opens his gob, so attacking him is unnecessary. He can do far more damage to Labour than they ever can. Besides, they have to wait for the annual '48 hours to save the NHS!!!' nonsense and hysteria to blow over.

Did you hear Corbyn last week in almost the same breath both mock the '£350m for the NHS' Leaver promise while also pledging that he would redistribute EU cash to the NHS post Brexit.

And yet his overall performance was so bad this staggering double standard was barely even commented upon.

Pokster
01-16-2017, 09:59 AM
Well yes, but how one speaks off the cuff is surely a rather better indicator of one's overall articulacy than reading prepared remarks? :shrug:

Tom Hiddlestone likes this post

Monty92
01-16-2017, 10:01 AM

Of course, but articulacy is not everything. If someone is a poor speaker, their pre-prepared thoughts are likely to be a better reflection of their actual thoughts than what they say on the hoof.

Sir C
01-16-2017, 10:04 AM
Of course, but articulacy is not everything. If someone is a poor speaker, their pre-prepared thoughts are likely to be a better reflection of their actual thoughts than what they say on the hoof.

When you say, 'pre-prepared', I assume you mean, 'prepared'?

Burney
01-16-2017, 10:07 AM
Did you hear Corbyn last week in almost the same breath both mock the '£350m for the NHS' Leaver promise while also pledging that he would redistribute EU cash to the NHS post Brexit.

And yet his overall performance was so bad this staggering double standard was barely even commented upon.

Last week was one of my Corbyn high points. Undermining the only two policies of his own relaunch in the space of a few hours was comedy gold. He actually seems to be getting worse. Also, he and Labour in general have managed to fück up Brexit so badly as to have rendered themselves irrelevant on the single biggest political issue of the last 70 years. Quite an achievement.

Burney
01-16-2017, 10:07 AM

I don't think it's nice to mock Monty's stutter like that. :-(

Burney
01-16-2017, 10:10 AM

The ability to communicate ideas quickly and effectively is usually considered quite a key attribute in anyone in an executive position, though, you'd have thought.

Monty92
01-16-2017, 10:15 AM
The ability to communicate ideas quickly and effectively is usually considered quite a key attribute in anyone in an executive position, though, you'd have thought.

Of course. My only point is that he's not actually the unmitigated dunce that you may assume when listening to him speak off the cuff.

The difficulties this may or may not cause him in office is another matter.

Monty92
01-16-2017, 10:17 AM

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/pre-prepare

Sir C
01-16-2017, 10:20 AM
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/pre-prepare

As opposed to preparing something after the event?

Dictonionaries appear to be run by communists these days and have lost all credibility, allowing wrong to be right as long as enough people do it.

Burney
01-16-2017, 10:22 AM
Of course. My only point is that he's not actually the unmitigated dunce that you may assume when listening to him speak off the cuff.

The difficulties this may or may not cause him in office is another matter.

Don't get me wrong. While I think he's pretty intellectually limited, a monstrous egotist, a braggart, vain, petty, vindictive and a tremendous vulgarian, I don't see these as necessarily bad things per se. Indeed, I think them ingredients in what promises to be an enormously entertaining next few years.
What really interests me is whether if - as I suspect it will - the United States comes through his Presidency just fine or even better off, will this lead people to question just how important who happens to be President actually is?

Burney
01-16-2017, 10:24 AM
As opposed to preparing something after the event?

Dictonionaries appear to be run by communists these days and have lost all credibility, allowing wrong to be right as long as enough people do it.

I would also point out that that's not a proper dictionary.

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
01-16-2017, 10:26 AM

As a well respected political writer* once observed B, "A man's oratory is a window to his intellect." It's how we can be certain that Obama was a truly great man. This Trump fella seems indistinguishable from any of the other mahoosive cvnts one encounters in this life.

*me

Sir C
01-16-2017, 10:28 AM

I'm going to always spell dictonionary like this and see how long it takes to become acceptable by usage. Useage perhaps. I can't be arsed looking it up in a dictonionary.

Burney
01-16-2017, 10:30 AM
As a well respected political writer* once observed B, "A man's oratory is a window to his intellect." It's how we can be certain that Obama was a truly great man. This Trump fella seems indistinguishable from any of the other mahoosive cvnts one encounters in this life.

*me

Obama had superficial charm, charisma and the brains to to know that his best chance of getting re-elected was to make bleeding heart white liberals feel good about themselves for voting for a black fella, but none of those things makes him a great man.

Burney
01-16-2017, 10:34 AM
I'm going to always spell dictonionary like this and see how long it takes to become acceptable by usage. Useage perhaps. I can't be arsed looking it up in a dictonionary.

Talking of which, I see The Guardian is making a bold bid to change the spelling of Independent

https://twitter.com/27khv/status/820781519383961600

Luis Anaconda
01-16-2017, 10:36 AM

:hehe: I think the clue here is when a definition of the madey-up* word is basically the word you should have used in the first place.

*yes that's a word... probably

Sir C
01-16-2017, 10:36 AM
Talking of which, I see The Guardian is making a bold bid to change the spelling of Independent

https://twitter.com/27khv/status/820781519383961600

What a truly shockingly tuppeny-halfpenny rag that newspaper is.

Burney
01-16-2017, 10:39 AM
:hehe: I think the clue here is when a definition of the madey-up* word is basically the word you should have used in the first place.

*yes that's a word... probably

Yes, although I think for most of us, the addition of a prefix to a word that already has that prefix in it probably started the alarm bells ringing.

Monty92
01-16-2017, 10:39 AM
Don't get me wrong. While I think he's pretty intellectually limited, a monstrous egotist, a braggart, vain, petty, vindictive and a tremendous vulgarian, I don't see these as necessarily bad things per se. Indeed, I think them ingredients in what promises to be an enormously entertaining next few years.
What really interests me is whether if - as I suspect it will - the United States comes through his Presidency just fine or even better off, will this lead people to question just how important who happens to be President actually is?

Indeed. Although legacy is in the eye of the (often partisan) beholder.

As a tangential example, we now know that a Tory politician saying that jobs for Brits should be prioritised can now be officially classified as a ‘hate’ incident. So whatever Theresa May achieves as PM, there will be those who point out that ‘hate’ crimes spiked under her leadership.

Burney
01-16-2017, 10:41 AM
What a truly shockingly tuppeny-halfpenny rag that newspaper is.

They haven't even published anything lately that made me laugh out loud at their lunacy. Surely they must realise that the only reason many people read the thing at all is in order to mock?

Sir C
01-16-2017, 10:44 AM
Yes, although I think for most of us, the addition of a prefix to a word that already has that prefix in it probably started the alarm bells ringing.

Just to clarify, would that be a prefix or a pre-prefix?

Burney
01-16-2017, 10:44 AM
Indeed. Although legacy is in the eye of the (often partisan) beholder.

As a tangential example, we now know that a Tory politician saying that jobs for Brits should be prioritised can now be officially classified as a ‘hate’ incident. So whatever Theresa May achieves as PM, there will be those who point out that ‘hate’ crimes spiked under her leadership.

Luckily, the left fails to learn the lesson from its effective neutering of the term 'racist' through overuse. 'Hate crime' will soon go the same way, as everyone just stops believing in the idea. And rightly so. A disgusting and nakedly Orwellian term that presumes motive and prioritises it over action. Ugh.

Ash
01-16-2017, 10:46 AM
... Indeed, I think them ingredients in what promises to be an enormously entertaining next few years.

I doubt he will last a few months, let alone a few years. The people who run the USA have made it very clear that they have no intention of letting him get in their way.

Sir C
01-16-2017, 10:47 AM
I doubt he will last a few months, let alone a few years. The people who run the USA have made it very clear that they have no intention of letting him get in their way.

He'd better keep away from grassy knolls?

Burney
01-16-2017, 10:47 AM
Just to clarify, would that be a prefix or a pre-prefix?

I think a pre-prefix is when you cook up the smack in a spoon. The prefix is when you put it in the syringe from the cotton wool and tighten the belt around your arm.

Sir C
01-16-2017, 10:54 AM
They haven't even published anything lately that made me laugh out loud at their lunacy. Surely they must realise that the only reason many people read the thing at all is in order to mock?

The transers have gone disappointingly quiet. They were always good for some lunacy.

Even the Boy Owen has stopped telling us how perfect Venezuela is :-(

Burney
01-16-2017, 10:55 AM

I must say, I am currently bewildered to see the left championing the trustworthiness of the CIA. Don't times change? :hehe:

Burney
01-16-2017, 10:56 AM
The transers have gone disappointingly quiet. They were always good for some lunacy.

Even the Boy Owen has stopped telling us how perfect Venezuela is :-(

Whenever I hear him these days (not often since he blocked me on Twitter), he seems very grumpy. You do wonder whether it's starting to dawn on him that he's been wrong about pretty much everything all this time.

Ash
01-16-2017, 11:10 AM
He'd better keep away from grassy knolls?

:nod: Deffo.

Something might happen on Friday.

Sir C
01-16-2017, 11:11 AM

Are you ITK a?

Burney
01-16-2017, 11:12 AM

You realise, of course, that now if anything does happen on Friday, you'll be getting waterboarded before you can say 'extraordinary rendition'?

Burney
01-16-2017, 11:14 AM
Are you ITK a?

Seems unlikely that anything will kick off. After all, Bikers For Trump will be providing a 'Wall of Meat' for him and having your security provided by biker gangs never goes wrong, does it?

Ash
01-16-2017, 11:36 AM
Seems unlikely that anything will kick off. After all, Bikers For Trump will be providing a 'Wall of Meat' for him and having your security provided by biker gangs never goes wrong, does it?

They won't need to touch Trump. Just blow up a load of anti-Trump protesters and accuse Russia. Every newspaper and all 17 Intelligence Agencies will say that Russia did it.

Sir C
01-16-2017, 11:41 AM
They won't need to touch Trump. Just blow up a load of anti-Trump protesters and accuse Russia. Every newspaper and all 17 Intelligence Agencies will say that Russia did it.

Certainly, Comrade Putin would never get involved in violence against his political opponents, would he? Poor old Vlad, why does everyone make up so many lies about him? He's a lovely man with no murderous tendencies whatsoever, and a charming, liberal attitude to the heemasexers as well as top, top respect for the borders of soevreign nations, yes.

http://news.sky.com/story/the-putin-critics-who-have-been-assassinated-10369350

Ash
01-16-2017, 11:52 AM
Certainly, Comrade Putin would never get involved in violence against his political opponents, would he? Poor old Vlad, why does everyone make up so many lies about him? He's a lovely man with no murderous tendencies whatsoever, and a charming, liberal attitude to the heemasexers as well as top, top respect for the borders of soevreign nations, yes.

Whataboutery ;-)

Burney
01-16-2017, 11:55 AM

To be fair, though, I'm all for locking up Greenpeace activists. French had the right idea about that lot if you ask me. Dirty hippies.

World's End Stella
01-16-2017, 04:22 PM

Isn't it a question of timing? If I prepared a meal for you, I made it myself. If I pre-prepared it, I did so in such a way that it required virtually no preparation once you had arrived. Seems logical to me.

Then again, I failed every grammar test I ever wrote. Boys did math, girls did grammar. Twas ever thus.

Ash
01-16-2017, 04:23 PM
math

:redcard:

Fùcking septic.

Burney
01-16-2017, 04:28 PM
Isn't it a question of timing? If I prepared a meal for you, I made it myself. If I pre-prepared it, I did so in such a way that it required virtually no preparation once you had arrived. Seems logical to me.

Then again, I failed every grammar test I ever wrote. Boys did math, girls did grammar. Twas ever thus.

No. What you've described there is 'preparation'. It's all 'preparation'. The fact that some aspects of it took place before others does not alter the fact or make the term 'pre-preparation' any less tautological.

Ash
01-16-2017, 04:33 PM
No. What you've described there is 'preparation'. It's all 'preparation'. The fact that some aspects of it took place before others does not alter the fact or make the term 'pre-preparation' any less tautological.

This reminds me of the discussion of pre-assists.

World's End Stella
01-16-2017, 05:04 PM
:redcard:

Fùcking septic.

I shall never refer to it as 'maths', I'm afraid.

For no reason other than that it sounds stupid. I have to cling to the odd bit of my homeland, Ash.

World's End Stella
01-16-2017, 05:05 PM

Irregardless, I think there is some merit in my argument.

Sir C
01-16-2017, 05:07 PM
Irregardless, I think there is some merit in my argument.

Hew definitely shouldn't misunderestimate your commitment to talking proper.

eastgermanautos
01-16-2017, 07:18 PM
Obama had superficial charm, charisma and the brains to to know that his best chance of getting re-elected was to make bleeding heart white liberals feel good about themselves for voting for a black fella, but none of those things makes him a great man.

Come on, jeez. That's ridiculous. Who are these great men? Churchill? what a faggit. Obama kicked ass. He sh!ts all over Churchill.