PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got any snow yet?

Burney
01-12-2017, 10:21 AM
I'm hoping we get a decent burst of it as I'm all set up to work from home tomorrow.

Lie in :cloud9:

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
01-12-2017, 10:25 AM
I'm hoping we get a decent burst of it as I'm all set up to work from home tomorrow.

Glwtpimo. Fúck all except in the highlands and northern England uplands. Thunder snow my arsenal.

Luis Anaconda

Yep - loads of it thanks

Pokster
Glwtpimo. Fúck all except in the highlands and northern England uplands. Thunder snow my arsenal.

Nothing up here.. not expecting much, if any.... coastal area and Scotland likely to get it

Burney
01-12-2017, 10:27 AM

I haven't liked to ask for fear of sounding silly, but what on earth is 'thunder snow' supposed to be?

Is it like Thundercats?

01-12-2017, 10:28 AM
Nothing up here.. not expecting much, if any.... coastal area and Scotland likely to get it

Thought there'd be some in the Peak District? No road closures mentioned on the radio though. Usual fuss about nowt.

Luis Anaconda
01-12-2017, 10:28 AM

Your mum is likely to get it

01-12-2017, 10:29 AM
I haven't liked to ask for fear of sounding silly, but what on earth is 'thunder snow' supposed to be?

Is it like Thundercats?

I think it's just a snow storm with added thunder and lightning for effect :shrug: That's what it looked like on the telly anyway.

Pokster
01-12-2017, 10:32 AM
Your mum is likely to get it

If you come up to see her she'll get a good 2 inches

Burney
01-12-2017, 10:34 AM
Thought there'd be some in the Peak District? No road closures mentioned on the radio though. Usual fuss about nowt.

Is Sir C still in North? He was hoping for a bit of snow to drive in, I think.

01-12-2017, 10:41 AM
Is Sir C still in North? He was hoping for a bit of snow to drive in, I think.
Looks like he's in Holland according to Twitter. Unless I'm following the wrong Sir C. I might be actually. Does Sir C wear a baseball cap on backwards?

PSRB
01-12-2017, 10:42 AM

T'is in the hills but not here yet, supposed to be around 5ish but as it'll have been pissing down all day before that it won't settle

Sir C
01-12-2017, 01:19 PM
Looks like he's in Holland according to Twitter. Unless I'm following the wrong Sir C. I might be actually. Does Sir C wear a baseball cap on backwards?

No, I most certainly do not.

I am lately returned from the frozen north, hunkered in with a good supply of wood and coal to see out the blizzard.

Pokster
01-12-2017, 01:36 PM
No, I most certainly do not.

I am lately returned from the frozen north, hunkered in with a good supply of wood and coal to see out the blizzard.

How was the glorious North? I think you will relocate up here eventually

Sir C
01-12-2017, 01:46 PM
How was the glorious North? I think you will relocate up here eventually

It was truly splendid.

There is a chance you're right, actually. It's certainly a toss up between Cumbria and the Languedoc at present.

Pokster
01-12-2017, 01:58 PM
It was truly splendid.

There is a chance you're right, actually. It's certainly a toss up between Cumbria and the Languedoc at present.

And Cumbria takes less timed to type... a good choice sc

Ash
01-12-2017, 03:27 PM
It was truly splendid.

Did you bag any peaks?

And on the other place, have you been to Rennes-le-Chateau? I love all that Cathar/Templar mystery bollix.

Sir C
01-12-2017, 04:00 PM
Did you bag any peaks?

And on the other place, have you been to Rennes-le-Chateau? I love all that Cathar/Templar mystery bollix.

Hallin Fell, The Knott, Grey Crag, High Street. New favourite area, the Ullswater valley. Slightly less visited even in season, as well. Totes amazeballs.

I don't know Rennes-le-château, but I do love it around Carcassonne where the fortified hill villages tell a story of the Cathar troubles.

Ash
01-12-2017, 04:45 PM
Hallin Fell, The Knott, Grey Crag, High Street. New favourite area, the Ullswater valley. Slightly less visited even in season, as well. Totes amazeballs.

I don't know Rennes-le-château, but I do love it around Carcassonne where the fortified hill villages tell a story of the Cathar troubles.

I went to Carcassone and somehow failed to find the old town. I must have had the little map upside down or something, but I was very young and my navigation skillz were not well developed. I met some local chap who insisted I buy him a drink because of all the English students coming over there and taking their grape-picking jobs during the summer. I explained, through the cloud of guilt that he had cast over me, that I was neither a student nor taking anyone's jerb as we went to a bar, where I bought him a beer, and nothing for myself. "Why are you not having one?" he asked. "Because you are drinking my beer budget for the next three days. I have very little money." Guilt reversal completed.

I had a photo looking across Ullswater towards Patterdale as my desktop beckground for years. We were coming back around the lake, possibly down from Place Fell, came round Silver Bay and there was this stunning view.

The far Eastern fells can be very quiet, as you say. Did a ridge route in terrible weather over Loadpot Hill, Wether Hill, High Raise, Ramsgill Head, possibly a detour to The Knott and back to Haweswater via Kidsty Pike. Fog was so bad I had to navigate via the contours on the map, which I'd never done before until we met the only other couple we saw up there that day, who were doing that. Except they had laminated maps and I didn't. Always get laminated maps, I learned that day.

Then Ms A slipped and fell on the wet stones on Kidsty Pike and I thought at first from her reaction that she'd broken her leg, in the rain and fog with no-one to send for help. Fortunately, she was Ok and we managed to hobble down the mountain. Getting below the clouds to see Haweswater and the right valley was such a relief. When we did get down there was another six miles around the reservoir to the road and then a couple more back to the Inn. It was good to see the Inn. I think that night we ended up drinking with a couple of rough-as-fùck West Cumbrian lads who were working at a nearby slate mine, and this was there night off to get hammered. Managed to get out of that situation in one piece too. A wierd day.

Next time we went up, we stayed in Eskdale and only did valley walks. I though we might never go up on the tops again.

Sir C
01-13-2017, 01:08 PM
I went to Carcassone and somehow failed to find the old town. I must have had the little map upside down or something, but I was very young and my navigation skillz were not well developed. I met some local chap who insisted I buy him a drink because of all the English students coming over there and taking their grape-picking jobs during the summer. I explained, through the cloud of guilt that he had cast over me, that I was neither a student nor taking anyone's jerb as we went to a bar, where I bought him a beer, and nothing for myself. "Why are you not having one?" he asked. "Because you are drinking my beer budget for the next three days. I have very little money." Guilt reversal completed.

I had a photo looking across Ullswater towards Patterdale as my desktop beckground for years. We were coming back around the lake, possibly down from Place Fell, came round Silver Bay and there was this stunning view.

The far Eastern fells can be very quiet, as you say. Did a ridge route in terrible weather over Loadpot Hill, Wether Hill, High Raise, Ramsgill Head, possibly a detour to The Knott and back to Haweswater via Kidsty Pike. Fog was so bad I had to navigate via the contours on the map, which I'd never done before until we met the only other couple we saw up there that day, who were doing that. Except they had laminated maps and I didn't. Always get laminated maps, I learned that day.

Then Ms A slipped and fell on the wet stones on Kidsty Pike and I thought at first from her reaction that she'd broken her leg, in the rain and fog with no-one to send for help. Fortunately, she was Ok and we managed to hobble down the mountain. Getting below the clouds to see Haweswater and the right valley was such a relief. When we did get down there was another six miles around the reservoir to the road and then a couple more back to the Inn. It was good to see the Inn. I think that night we ended up drinking with a couple of rough-as-fùck West Cumbrian lads who were working at a nearby slate mine, and this was there night off to get hammered. Managed to get out of that situation in one piece too. A wierd day.

Next time we went up, we stayed in Eskdale and only did valley walks. I though we might never go up on the tops again.

Gracious me, quite the adventure. V follows the various mountain rescue squads on Twitter, and their descriptions of the troubles people get into are quite sobering. Uphill only in blue skies for me.

We bought one of those maps where you can tick off the wainwrights you've bagged. It seems that we have some 190 still to do. At 10 a year, I'll be trying to trudge up the last one when I'm 71 -(

Ash
01-13-2017, 01:26 PM
Gracious me, quite the adventure. V follows the various mountain rescue squads on Twitter, and their descriptions of the troubles people get into are quite sobering. Uphill only in blue skies for me.

Very wise.

We bought one of those maps where you can tick off the wainwrights you've bagged. It seems that we have some 190 still to do. At 10 a year, I'll be trying to trudge up the last one when I'm 71 -(

The wallchart? It's fab. We fill in the little triangles as well as the tickboxes on the left, so we can see which area to go next. About 130ish filled in so far. Finished off the North-Western book last time, and most of the remainder are far north and far east, with bits and bobs left everywhere else. Far east has some grim memories as above, but far north are generally pretty low, round and grassy. A bit dull compared to the exhilaration of crag, ridge, ledge, scramble, slide and cling - but I am beginning to appreciate dull as the years tick on.

Met an old boy of about 71+ near the top of Barf. He just had a few more to do. More easily enough done if you live oop norf tbh, more of a challenge from down here.