PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon Village.

Ash
01-06-2017, 01:45 PM
I'd never been there before. Been to Wimbledon 'town' where the station is, and South Wimbledon, and Wimbledon Park, and over the Common, and the Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club but not the 'village'. I think it's twinned with Hampstead, Harrow-on-the-hill, Dulwich Village, Stoke Newington Church Street, and 'Nappy Valley' between Clapham & Wandworth commons.

What links all this places is lack of breakfast. A proper one. There were loads of eateries in Wimbledon Village, many of them claimimg to be cafes, but their idea of an All Day Breakfast was organic muesli and yogurt. :-|

So well done to Carluccios, an Italian place that did a decent full Inglesi albeit with Pancetta for bacon - the most fatty bit of sliced pig I've had for years.

The nearby Cannizaro Park is a decent stroll round though. Definitely recommended. :thumbup: Can't give a review to the Windmill Museum on the Common though as it wasn't open. The Buddhist Temple on Calonne road is worth a look and a wander round the grounds too.

PSRB
01-06-2017, 02:04 PM
I'd never been there before. Been to Wimbledon 'town' where the station is, and South Wimbledon, and Wimbledon Park, and over the Common, and the Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club but not the 'village'. I think it's twinned with Hampstead, Harrow-on-the-hill, Dulwich Village, Stoke Newington Church Street, and 'Nappy Valley' between Clapham & Wandworth commons.

What links all this places is lack of breakfast. A proper one. There were loads of eateries in Wimbledon Village, many of them claimimg to be cafes, but their idea of an All Day Breakfast was organic muesli and yogurt. :-|

So well done to Carluccios, an Italian place that did a decent full Inglesi albeit with Pancetta for bacon - the most fatty bit of sliced pig I've had for years.

The nearby Cannizaro Park is a decent stroll round though. Definitely recommended. :thumbup: Can't give a review to the Windmill Museum on the Common though as it wasn't open. The Buddhist Temple on Calonne road is worth a look and a wander round the grounds too.

Used to always go there to watch 5 nations (as it was then) rugby, can't remember the name of the pub. Nice part of the world

Ash
01-06-2017, 02:06 PM
Used to always go there to watch 5 nations (as it was then) rugby, can't remember the name of the pub. Nice part of the world

Dog & Fox?