PDA

View Full Version : So, we're behind Spurs and the sky has not fallen

World's End Stella
01-05-2017, 01:31 PM
I really, really, really find it hard to dislike this Spurs team. They are very competitive despite having spent a fraction of the money we have, they have a young, energetic manager who seems tactically astute and has them playing a style of football that I'd love to watch every week and with the exception of Danny Rose I can't think of a single player there that makes me want to punch him in the face. And I loved watching Yanwama and Dembele controlling midfield with a very physical style of play. We used to have two midfielders like that.

In fact, when the first one went in last night, I yelled out with joy. And I watched the entire match as I found it interesting.

So who's up for supporting Spurs as their second team then? :-)

Monty92
01-05-2017, 01:50 PM
I really, really, really find it hard to dislike this Spurs team. They are very competitive despite having spent a fraction of the money we have, they have a young, energetic manager who seems tactically astute and has them playing a style of football that I'd love to watch every week and with the exception of Danny Rose I can't think of a single player there that makes me want to punch him in the face. And I loved watching Yanwama and Dembele controlling midfield with a very physical style of play. We used to have two midfielders like that.

In fact, when the first one went in last night, I yelled out with joy. And I watched the entire match as I found it interesting.

Would you put your money on us finishing above them?

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
01-05-2017, 01:50 PM
You and Bruce Forsyth.

redgunamo
01-05-2017, 02:02 PM

England will win the World Cup before Spurs win the league, imo. So I'll support *them* second.

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
01-05-2017, 02:05 PM

And let us not forget how edifying it must be to feel the real atmosphere at WHL. I find their version of "Oh When the Spurs" quite stunning. A pwopah old school football chant; primal, simple and uplifting. The way they draw the vowel sounds out would be impossible at the ArabBowl - none of the cancer deserving cvnts there would get it and would quickly descend back into "s'null s'null s'null".

SWv2
01-05-2017, 02:08 PM

Check out the Hebrew playing hard and fast with his cash.

Monty92
01-05-2017, 02:18 PM
And let us not forget how edifying it must be to feel the real atmosphere at WHL. I find their version of "Oh When the Spurs" quite stunning. A pwopah old school football chant; primal, simple and uplifting. The way they draw the vowel sounds out would be impossible at the ArabBowl - none of the cancer deserving cvnts there would get it and would quickly descend back into "s'null s'null s'null".

It did occur to me during last night's game that their fans are far, far, far better than ours. Certainly on the 'passion' and song originality front.

Has that always been the case?

Ash
01-05-2017, 02:24 PM
And I loved watching Yanwama and Dembele controlling midfield with a very physical style of play. We used to have two midfielders like that.

Wanyama seems to have recovered his ability to bundle opponents off the ball without getting penalised. He lost it for a while at Saints, who got pissed off with him being a card-magnet, I gather.

tbh though I thought Chelsea played the better football overall, if you ignore the Delhi-Al-E shaped hole in their defence.

SWv2
01-05-2017, 02:27 PM
Wanyama seems to have recovered his ability to bundle opponents off the ball without getting penalised. He lost it for a while at Saints, who got pissed off with him being a card-magnet, I gather.

tbh though I thought Chelsea played the better football overall, if you ignore the Delhi-Al-E shaped hole in their defence.

Nothing wrong with a physical approach A.

Dembele was superb from what I saw.

They are a decent team, no point in denying it. Every bit as good as us but we have those little elements of stardust which they lack.

Ash
01-05-2017, 02:27 PM
It did occur to me during last night's game that their fans are far, far, far better than ours. Certainly on the 'passion' and song originality front.

I believe this is partly down to not winning the league for 55 years, flirting with relegation in recent times and having a massive chip on the shoulder. Breeds character, you see. Not to mention a spot of violent hatred.

Ash
01-05-2017, 02:30 PM
They are a decent team, no point in denying it. Every bit as good as us but we have those little elements of stardust which they lack.

I'm not denying it at all. As for stardust - Deli Ali is better than Ozil, as the song goes, and Harry Kane is better than Giroud.

SWv2
01-05-2017, 02:30 PM
I believe this is partly down to not winning the league for 55 years, flirting with relegation in recent times and having a massive chip on the shoulder. Breeds character, you see. Not to mention a spot of violent hatred.

Not sure last night was a fair and balanced match to judge their support on.

Special circumstances so their fans would have been 100% up for it. Chelsea really **** on them last season and ended their best season in 20-30 years so normal derby related levels of dislike/hatred were heightened.

Goal just before the break was perfect.

All or most games are ifs and buts of course but had Hazard taken that very early chance (which he should have) all very different.

Monty92
01-05-2017, 02:31 PM
Nothing wrong with a physical approach A.

Dembele was superb from what I saw.

It's the quality of their delivery from wide areas where they have the edge on us. Pisses me off.

Also, why can't we produce a Harry Kane? :-(

Monty92
01-05-2017, 02:33 PM
Not sure last night was a fair and balanced match to judge their support on.

Special circumstances so their fans would have been 100% up for it. Chelsea really **** on them last season and ended their best season in 20-30 years so normal derby related levels of dislike/hatred were heightened.

Goal just before the break was perfect.

All or most games are ifs and buts of course but had Hazard taken that very early chance (which he should have) all very different.

Wonder how much playing at Wembley next year will throw a spanner in their progress.

redgunamo
01-05-2017, 02:35 PM

However, not, most crucially, on the gate receipts front.

SWv2
01-05-2017, 02:37 PM
Wonder how much playing at Wembley next year will throw a spanner in their progress.

Are they playing their league games at Wembley also next season?

redgunamo
01-05-2017, 02:37 PM
It's the quality of their delivery from wide areas where they have the edge on us. Pisses me off.

Also, why can't we produce a Harry Kane? :-(

We did produce him, I thought? Point taken though.

Few big clubs can grow their own world class forwards, not just us.

redgunamo
01-05-2017, 02:38 PM

Every match a cup final, as they say. glwtpimo.

World's End Stella
01-05-2017, 02:39 PM

No, absolutely not. Far too close to call.

And if you forced me to bet on one or the other my money would be on Spurs, sadly. :-(

Monty92
01-05-2017, 02:41 PM
We did produce him, I thought? Point taken though.

Few big clubs can grow their own world class forwards, not just us.

Yeah but why can it be them but not us. I guess they might justifiably ask why they can never finish above us, even when we've had a supposedly **** season and they've had a great one :shrug:

Monty92
01-05-2017, 02:43 PM

I believe so. You've got to imagine it may very well compromise their home form.

SWv2
01-05-2017, 02:44 PM
Yeah but why can it be them but not us. I guess they might justifiably ask why they can never finish above us, even when we've had a supposedly **** season and they've had a great one :shrug:

Because we are a much, much bigger club than them with the resources and finances to go with it. It is only normal than on most occasions the bigger teams end at the top.

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
01-05-2017, 02:45 PM

Back in the day I reckon we were about the same then the publication of Fever Pitch filled the ranks of our support with utter utter c unts.

I particularly detest this habit of crowbarring a player's name into a **** eighties pop tune,

Sammy Nasri - Give It Up
Alexis Sanchez Baby - Don't You Want Me Baby

Giroud to Hey Jude is okay

redgunamo
01-05-2017, 02:49 PM

They can keep him, imo. We are a Champions League club, they are not.

redgunamo
01-05-2017, 02:52 PM
Back in the day I reckon we were about the same then the publication of Fever Pitch filled the ranks of our support with utter utter c unts.

I particularly detest this habit of crowbarring a player's name into a **** eighties pop tune,

Sammy Nasri - Give It Up
Alexis Sanchez Baby - Don't You Want Me Baby

Giroud to Hey Jude is okay

Fever Pitch is right; it gave all the snobby spastics the courage to really "come out" as football supporters when previously they'd kept their heads down.

01-05-2017, 02:54 PM
Fever Pitch is right; it gave all the snobby spastics the courage to really "come out" as football supporters when previously they'd kept their heads down.
Alongside message boards becoming available on the web obvs.

PSRB

Behave

They have a very balanced first XI and as long as they all stay fit they'll be right up there but they're a Harry Kane injury away from having to start Janssen

They will also inevitably implode because that's what they do

They can also all **** off and die*

*maybe not ACTUALLY die but you know what I mean

Viva Prat Vegas

*They* have Michael Macintyre and Claude from The Apprentice

redgunamo
01-05-2017, 02:56 PM
Alongside message boards becoming available on the web obvs.

True. But surely it's only a tiny number of people on the football-net who go to every game? Or even every home game?

redgunamo
01-05-2017, 02:58 PM
*They* have Michael Macintyre and Claude from The Apprentice

Never heard of either of them, I'm afraid.

01-05-2017, 02:58 PM
True. But surely it's only a tiny number of people on the football-net who go to every game? Or even every home game?
Yeah cos most of em are furriners or live in furrin lands or a long way from THOF, redg.

Viva Prat Vegas
01-05-2017, 03:01 PM
Never heard of either of them, I'm afraid.

Adele
Have you heard of him ?

SWv2
01-05-2017, 03:02 PM
Behave

They have a very balanced first XI and as long as they all stay fit they'll be right up there but they're a Harry Kane injury away from having to start Janssen

They will also inevitably implode because that's what they do

They can also all **** off and die*

*maybe not ACTUALLY die but you know what I mean

They have already lost Kane for a part of this season and have done okay.

We lose Sanchez for a prolonged injury and we have to play Giroud who let’s face it once we have to endure him over a longer duration reminds us of how massively average he really is.

redgunamo
01-05-2017, 03:02 PM
Yeah cos most of em are furriners or live in furrin lands or a long way from THOF, redg.

Exactly. They've nothing to do with the atmosphere at matches.

redgunamo
01-05-2017, 03:03 PM

We lose Sanchez for a prolonged injury and we have to play Giroud who let’s face it once we have to endure him over a longer duration reminds us of how massively average he really is.

Regardless, we always find a way.

PSRB
01-05-2017, 03:04 PM

Weren't spurs doing really well untiil they lost Kane and then that's why they dropped away until he came back?

I really don't understand you hatred of Giroud, then again I never really understood your dislike of Ljungberg

redgunamo
01-05-2017, 03:06 PM
Adele
Have you heard of him ?

The late king of Lagos? Of course.

redgunamo
01-05-2017, 03:08 PM

Chelsea were average, I thought. They always are when I watch them (Us, Liverpool and last night).

Have they actually beaten anyone decent lately?

SWv2
01-05-2017, 03:08 PM
Weren't spurs doing really well untiil they lost Kane and then that's why they dropped away until he came back?

I really don't understand you hatred of Giroud, then again I never really understood your dislike of Ljungberg

I can't recall the specifics but I seem to recall the general belief that they would fall apart in his absence but I think Son stepped up and played really well, turns out he is a very decent player.

I've never liked Giroud. Stupid haircut, stupid beard, mirror loving over dramatic ****.

redgunamo
01-05-2017, 03:24 PM
I can't recall the specifics but I seem to recall the general belief that they would fall apart in his absence but I think Son stepped up and played really well, turns out he is a very decent player.

I've never liked Giroud. Stupid haircut, stupid beard, mirror loving over dramatic ****.

I know what it is; you think Olivier is keeping Higuain out of the side :nod:

PSRB
01-05-2017, 03:55 PM
No, absolutely not. Far too close to call.

And if you forced me to bet on one or the other my money would be on Spurs, sadly. :-(

They hardly set the world alight, it was a very poor match that was settled by Chelsea allowing spurs to pull exactly the same routine twice!

We will win our next 3 and be ahead of them both at end of season

World's End Stella
01-05-2017, 04:00 PM
Chelsea were average, I thought. They always are when I watch them (Us, Liverpool and last night).

Have they actually beaten anyone decent lately?

My experience as well this season. I was amazed at how much space there was in midfield for Spurs to knock it about. Players like Wanyama and Dembele were receiving the ball in the middle of the pitch with no Chelsea player within 5 yards.

As far as I remember Chelsea beat only City that were any good. And for the first 60 minutes of that game City ripped them apart and should have been 2 or 3 nil up. Chelsea were very lucky that day.

So basically Liverpool or Spurs will win the league :-(

World's End Stella
01-05-2017, 04:01 PM

You just described Ljungberg as well. What is it you have against attractive men, SW? :-(

You always seemed to like me. :-)

eastgermanautos
01-05-2017, 04:09 PM
You just described Ljungberg as well. What is it you have against attractive men, SW? :-(

I feel like Spurs are somewhat too feisty for people to really have a whack at, and they're hoping they will fade of their own accord. They're incredibly fit, are physically very imposing. They have a limitless sense of rectitude, having been done down for many years. Its like coming across an escaped convict. It's like, all right man, do it. Good luck. Just don't punch me with a steak knife before moving along.

eastgermanautos
01-05-2017, 04:10 PM

We need a couple people with personality on our dull team. Giroud is so in love with himself that he forgets to choke. I can't hate that about him.

SWv2
01-05-2017, 04:50 PM
I feel like Spurs are somewhat too feisty for people to really have a whack at, and they're hoping they will fade of their own accord. They're incredibly fit, are physically very imposing. They have a limitless sense of rectitude, having been done down for many years. Its like coming across an escaped convict. It's like, all right man, do it. Good luck. Just don't punch me with a steak knife before moving along.

I would have thought that if a steak knife was your weapon of choice then you would stab a person with it, not punch them.

eastgermanautos
01-05-2017, 04:52 PM
I would have thought that if a steak knife was your weapon of choice then you would stab a person with it, not punch them.

You've obviously never been in prison. Nor have I, come to that. :cry:

But you know, in prison, they have a shop class. And in this shop class you make steak knives, the kind you can punch people with.

NZgunner
01-06-2017, 08:08 PM
it will be interesting to see how spurs manage their finances as they build a new stadium - we used it as an excuse to drop out of being front line title contenders

I lost faith in Wenger many years ago, so part of me wants to see spurs have success to highlight the failings of our current manager - but the more realistic part knows that Wenger is untouchable and spurs success or otherwise would have no bearing on his future. Couple this with my childhood indoctrination and traditional hatred (family support dates back to the early 1920s) and I only ever want to see spurs fail - I'd rather we overtook them on the last day of the season to avoid relegation than beat them to 2nd place

barrybueno
01-06-2017, 10:28 PM
arsenal fans only panic when spurs are 4 pts in front wirh one game to go

barrybueno
01-06-2017, 10:30 PM
even then spurs would **** it up :hehe: