PDA

View Full Version : I accept that Giroud’s celebration didn’t cost us any time, but it’s just the

Monty92
01-04-2017, 09:07 AM
mind-set I can’t quite wrap my head around. He’d not have celebrated a goal that brought us back to 3-2 and yet 3-3 was very, very nearly as unsatisfactory. It was absolutely essential for us to win and we had seconds left to do so. Yet his instinct was to run off and perform a choreographed celebration about a goal he scored last weekend.

Pokster
01-04-2017, 09:09 AM
mind-set I can’t quite wrap my head around. He’d not have celebrated a goal that brought us back to 3-2 and yet 3-3 was very, very nearly as unsatisfactory. It was absolutely essential for us to win and we had seconds left to do so. Yet his instinct was to run off and perform a choreographed celebration about a goal he scored last weekend.

So if it didn't cost us any time what the **** are you complaining about.... do you enjoy anything about football or just find something to moan about whenever you can?

Billy Goat Sverige
01-04-2017, 09:25 AM

His little routine took 13 seconds. Whilst not a significant amount of time it still could've been the difference between that long ball at the end turning into a chance rather than the ref blowing for full time. Though as you say, it's the mind-set i find most annoying. I think he's the only player in the squad who would've done that.

Monty92
01-04-2017, 09:27 AM
So if it didn't cost us any time what the **** are you complaining about.... do you enjoy anything about football or just find something to moan about whenever you can?

It just seems odd that his instinct would not be dominated by the desire to get back to his half and start the game again rather than to perform a pre-planned celebration about a goal in another game. I don't think I'll change my mind about it being a highly incongruous reaction, given that his goal had left us in an utterly unsatisfactory position that was only mitigated by the moderate relief that we'd managed to claw anything at all from a game that seemed lost.

PSRB
01-04-2017, 09:30 AM
His little routine took 13 seconds. Whilst not a significant amount of time it still could've been the difference between that long ball at the end turning into a chance rather than the ref blowing for full time. Though as you say, it's the mind-set i find most annoying. I think he's the only player in the squad who would've done that.

Not helped by the ref blowing up 10 seconds early (minimum) either. Not that I'm blaming the ref*, we did well to get anything out the match and didn't deserve really deserve it.

*Although their third was a blatant shove on Bellerin

Monty92
01-04-2017, 09:35 AM
Not helped by the ref blowing up 10 seconds early (minimum) either. Not that I'm blaming the ref*, we did well to get anything out the match and didn't deserve really deserve it.

Oh I have absolutely no doubt that the referee chose to play less than the minimum time allocated because he didn't want us to score the winner. I sensed a bias towards Bournemouth throughout the game but that act confirmed it.

When do you EVER see a ref blow up when a team is about to knock a ball in the box? They always let the final passage play out before blowing.

World's End Stella
01-04-2017, 09:36 AM

I really struggle with the idea that someone can consider the penalty against Xhaka to be the correct decision (it was) and then criticise Bellerin for not being strong enough or not getting his body between the ball and the player (looking at you Thierry Henry) which seemed to be a commonly held view in the media.

He did get his body between the ball and the player, and at that point the player shoved him over. Muppets.

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
01-04-2017, 09:39 AM

I'm with Bignose on this. His goal effectively had them reeling on the ropes and he chose to preen and prance when he should have been gathering the ball from the net and heading back to the centre spot, like Alexis did for both previous goals. The man is a cvnt [Ollie not Monty - well - Monty too, but for entirely different reasons d'ya see]

Monty92
01-04-2017, 09:39 AM
I really struggle with the idea that someone can consider the penalty against Xhaka to be the correct decision (it was) and then criticise Bellerin for not being strong enough or not getting his body between the ball and the player (looking at you Thierry Henry) which seemed to be a commonly held view in the media.

He did get his body between the ball and the player, and at that point the player shoved him over. Muppets.

I agree. When players come together shoulder to shoulder and one is stronger than the other, THAT is not a foul. If you literally barge someone over who's in control of the ball or got to the ball first how the ****ing hell is that not a foul?

Monty92
01-04-2017, 09:42 AM
I'm with Bignose on this. His goal effectively had them reeling on the ropes and he chose to preen and prance when he should have been gathering the ball from the net and heading back to the centre spot, like Alexis did for both previous goals. The man is a cvnt [Ollie not Monty - well - Monty too, but for entirely different reasons d'ya see]

It seems petty to criticise Giroud, given his performance. His goal showed all the desire and determination you could possibly hope for and without his efforts we'd certainly have lost. But I guess that makes the celebration even more incongruous.

World's End Stella
01-04-2017, 09:43 AM
I agree. When players come together shoulder to shoulder and one is stronger than the other, THAT is not a foul. If you literally barge someone over who's in control of the ball or got to the ball first how the ****ing hell is that not a foul?

Someone said 'Oliver must have decided that was should to shoulder'.

Strikes me that Oliver should take a course in human anatomy as Fraser's forearm and Bellerin's back don't look anything like shoulders.

When do you EVER see a ref blow up when a team is about to knock a ball in the box? They always let the final passage play out before blowing.

Was it City or Everton where we had a free kick at the death (when advantage would have suited us better) and the ref blew AS SOON AS THE ****ING KICK HAD BEEN TAKEN instead of allowing the move to unfold. We should have been allowed at least on attempt from the kick.

The bias we suffer from refs is directly associated with their collective dislike of the SFC...Wenger out!

World's End Stella

Henry was guilty of the same thing many times. Do you consider him to be an arrogant, French **** too, Herb?

01-04-2017, 09:48 AM
Henry was guilty of the same thing many times. Do you consider him to be an arrogant, French **** too, Herb?

Hell yes. An arrogant, peanut headed, flat track bully choker who cost us the Champions league with his pitiful lack of bottle. I also consider you to be a bit of a tosspot.

PSRB
01-04-2017, 09:53 AM

Quite, he had no reason to fall over, so the only thing that could have led to him going over was being pushed. It was bloody obvious

World's End Stella
01-04-2017, 10:03 AM
Hell yes. An arrogant, peanut headed, flat track bully choker who cost us the Champions league with his pitiful lack of bottle. I also consider you to be a bit of a tosspot.

Yes, well that's all fair enough then. Although I would remind you Herb that I am clearly the hardest man on the board, so watch yer step sonny boy or I'll be around to remove your ears.

Burney
01-04-2017, 10:10 AM

Yes, it's the lack of awareness and sheer solipsism that's troubling.

01-04-2017, 10:18 AM
Yes, well that's all fair enough then. Although I would remind you Herb that I am clearly the hardest man on the board, so watch yer step sonny boy or I'll be around to remove your ears.

Don't be ridiculous man! How can you possibly be harder than me? Just look at our avatars. Mine is a gravelly voiced cockney who doubtless grew up in the slums of east London and fraternised with various pearly queens and Frankie Fraser.

Yours is a foppish musician who sang with the Westminster School Choir as a boy.

Ash
01-04-2017, 10:24 AM

Their sending off looked a bit harsh, tbf. I was a bit annoyed at an offside given against Ramsey just before their first goal, when it was miles over his head and going to Bellerin who was onside.

Burney
01-04-2017, 10:30 AM
Their sending off looked a bit harsh, tbf. I was a bit annoyed at an offside given against Ramsey just before their first goal, when it was miles over his head and going to Bellerin who was onside.

This raises an interesting* question. How long before a goal does a refereeing officiating error have to take place before it is no longer valid to raise it as a reason to complain about the goal? After all, causality being what it is, it must be possible to cancel out a massive proportion of goals on this basis if you want to go back far enough.

Pat Vegas
01-04-2017, 10:33 AM

Maybe it did cost us time. The ref blew up just before the 6 minutes.