PDA

View Full Version : Having slagged off Christmas telly, I quite enjoyed the Bronte sisters thing.

Burney
01-03-2017, 02:38 PM
Lots of miserable northernness, hatchet-faced old trouts and tuberculosis.

At one point, her brother told Emily Bronte to fück off, a sentiment echoed by anyone who ever had to study Wuthering Heights at university and wibble on tediously about the unreliable authorial voice.

Sir C
01-03-2017, 02:39 PM
Lots of miserable northernness, hatchet-faced old trouts and tuberculosis.

At one point, her brother told Emily Bronte to fück off, a sentiment echoed by anyone who ever had to study Wuthering Heights at university and wibble on tediously about the unreliable authorial voice.

I'm going to watch that tonight. Any tits?

Burney
01-03-2017, 02:43 PM
I'm going to watch that tonight. Any tits?

Happily, no. Of the three, only the one who played Anne would even bear consideration. There is some fantasised shagging now that I think about it, though.

Anyway, I don't want to spoil it by telling you that they all die in the end.

Sir C
01-03-2017, 02:48 PM
Happily, no. Of the three, only the one who played Anne would even bear consideration. There is some fantasised shagging now that I think about it, though.

Anyway, I don't want to spoil it by telling you that they all die in the end.

I fancied something nice and heavily Georgian or Victorian to read whilst away. Dickens feels too light, Eliot can fúck off, Austen/Brontes girly stuff isn't quite right for a chap. Hardy, perhaps? I love The Mayor of Casterbridge but hated Tess. What say you?

World's End Stella
01-03-2017, 02:48 PM
I thought the Agatha Christie thing was very good again this year.

Not in the same class as And Then There Were None from last year, but that was utterly exceptional so no shame there.

Sir C
01-03-2017, 02:49 PM
I thought the Agatha Christie thing was very good again this year.

Not in the same class as And Then There Were None from last year, but that was utterly exceptional so no shame there.

Those ******* lefties at the BBC changing the name of last year's offering really pissed me off. Political correctness gone mad, that's what it is.

Burney
01-03-2017, 02:50 PM
I fancied something nice and heavily Georgian or Victorian to read whilst away. Dickens feels too light, Eliot can fúck off, Austen/Brontes girly stuff isn't quite right for a chap. Hardy, perhaps? I love The Mayor of Casterbridge but hated Tess. What say you?

Well for the sake of regionality, you ought to read Rogue Herries by Walpole, of course.

Burney
01-03-2017, 02:51 PM
Those ******* lefties at the BBC changing the name of last year's offering really pissed me off. Political correctness gone mad, that's what it is.

Was it 10 Little N-Bombs?

Did you really think they wouldn't change the title? :hehe:

Sir C
01-03-2017, 02:54 PM
Was it 10 Little N-Bombs?

Did you really think they wouldn't change the title? :hehe:

Absolutely ridiculous. A smack in the face to one of our great authors.

Sir C
01-03-2017, 02:56 PM
Well for the sake of regionality, you ought to read Rogue Herries by Walpole, of course.

That's true, I hadn't thought of that.

I expect it's terribly earnest, but appropriate.

Burney
01-03-2017, 02:57 PM
Absolutely ridiculous. A smack in the face to one of our great authors.

I don't know if you've ever actually tried to read an Agatha Christie book (no reason to, after all), but by no stretch of the imagination could she be described as 'one of our great authors'. :hehe:

I tried to read one once on a holiday let because it was on the shelf and I'd run out of books. Honestly, I was amazed by how bad it was.

Sir C
01-03-2017, 02:58 PM
I don't know if you've ever actually tried to read an Agatha Christie book (no reason to, after all), but by no stretch of the imagination could she be described as 'one of our great authors'. :hehe:

I tried to read one once on a holiday let because it was on the shelf and I'd run out of books. Honestly, I was amazed by how bad it was.

I've never read one, no, but I really meant 'great' in terms of volume of output rathewr than quality.

She really did churn that **** out, didn't she?

Burney
That's true, I hadn't thought of that.

I expect it's terribly earnest, but appropriate.

Oh, there's all sorts of rip-roaring stuff going on with mistresses and Jacobites and the like. And he basically lives in Honister Pass.

World's End Stella

I think that was done ages ago by the publishers, was it not? Was the poem itself originally 10 little n-bombs?

Different times, Charles, different times.

Burney
01-03-2017, 02:59 PM
I've never read one, no, but I really meant 'great' in terms of volume of output rathewr than quality.

She really did churn that **** out, didn't she?

She did. Like the Morse books (I imagine), they make far better TV and movie adaptations than they do books.

Sir C
01-03-2017, 03:00 PM
I think that was done ages ago by the publishers, was it not? Was the poem itself originally 10 little n-bombs?

It's all politically motivated, you know. They change the language to change your brain and make you vote for Corbyn.

Burney
01-03-2017, 03:02 PM

I certainly remember it being '10 Little Indians' even in my day. Apparently, dead Indians are fine.

Burney
01-03-2017, 03:02 PM
It's all politically motivated, you know. They change the language to change your brain and make you vote for Corbyn.

Given that he's currently polling behind 'Don't Know', it doesn't seem to be doing a tremendously good job, does it?

Sir C
01-03-2017, 03:03 PM
She did. Like the Morse books (I imagine), they make far better TV and movie adaptations than they do books.

:nod: I read a Morse book once. It was utter, utter tripe. But then Dexter was a dreadful commie, so what would one expect?

Burney
01-03-2017, 03:07 PM
:nod: I read a Morse book once. It was utter, utter tripe. But then Dexter was a dreadful commie, so what would one expect?

I used to devour detective fiction back in the day. Chandler, Hammett, MacDonald, McBain, Wambaugh, Rankin, Hill, Mosley - all those guys. And then I just stopped. Completely lost interest. Odd, really. Maybe I ought to try and rediscover them?

Sir C
01-03-2017, 03:08 PM
Given that he's currently polling behind 'Don't Know', it doesn't seem to be doing a tremendously good job, does it?

Never underestimate your enemy, b. We think we have them on the floor right now. We think we have a foot on the throat of the evil that is leftism, that we need only press down hard to forever free ourselves of the foul stench of liberalism; but beware. Like the cockroach, hippies, pinkos and bleeding hearts lie doggo until you drop your guard, then, WALLOP! they leap out and sign on while you're not watching.

Sir C
01-03-2017, 03:09 PM
I used to devour detective fiction back in the day. Chandler, Hammett, MacDonald, McBain, Wambaugh, Rankin, Hill, Mosley - all those guys. And then I just stopped. Completely lost interest. Odd, really. Maybe I ought to try and rediscover them?

I suspect you'd find them a bit, well, shít, really.

Burney
01-03-2017, 03:09 PM
Never underestimate your enemy, b. We think we have them on the floor right now. We think we have a foot on the throat of the evil that is leftism, that we need only press down hard to forever free ourselves of the foul stench of liberalism; but beware. Like the cockroach, hippies, pinkos and bleeding hearts lie doggo until you drop your guard, then, WALLOP! they leap out and sign on while you're not watching.

Yes. Mind you, it's rather fun watching them wandering around looking totally bewildered at the moment. :hehe: